Teams that will never be complete?

tarot

21 hours ago, McHogan said:

Man I’m torn on both points here. Those jackets.....certainly were of their era.

but it was an era important to me. The Avengers were who they were at that time and “that time” was jackets, pockets and mullets.

id love all these characters in this era”s costumes. Preferably without the jackets but I would not hate it if they came with them. It seems of all the “jacket” Avengers, only Sersi and Black Knight made sense.

Mattel has done neat stuff with their Deluxe WWE figures where they include a (sleeveless ) jacket and include jacket arms for easy on or off options. Maybe this will be a Legends thing when appropriate 

What, and prevent Hasbro from releasing a Jacket-less version down the line, so they can get more money out of people. Stop using common sense. 😄

6 hours ago, leokearon said:

What, and prevent Hasbro from releasing a Jacket-less version down the line, so they can get more money out of people. Stop using common sense. 😄

When you’re right you’re right 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Call me ol school but for my $$, nothing will ever best the classic Avengers lineups of the 70s/80s. That's when they truly rated the title "Earth's mightiest" heroes.  Just need a classic Hercules to do this lineup.

Sorry, I don't consider Wolverine an Avenger, nor Spiderman, DD, Ironfist, Cage, Dr Strange, Rogue, Havok & the Thing. Neither the Hulk , MCU be damned! 3 are always X-men in my book, Strange is a Defender & Thing is & always will be a member of the FF family. IF & Powerman= Heroes for hire. Hulk, Spidey & DD, solo players that once in a while lend teams a hand with Hulk being the one most reluctant to help anyone as he just wants to be left alone.

OIP.SdqXjbsd5l1PclG-hzvvgQHaFJ?pid=Api&d

3 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Hulk, Spidey & DD, solo players that once in a while lend teams a hand with Hulk being the one most reluctant to help anyone as he just wants to be left alone.

I tend to think of Hulk as a solo, too, but he has as much a claim to The Defenders as Doctor Strange does. Even though Hulk is considered a founding Avenger, I never think of him that way.

I heard someone on a podcast describe the first three issues of The Avengers as a team-up book, not a team book. They didn't become a team until Captain America joined in issue #4. I'm sure you can argue the validity of that, but I always liked that description.

10 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

I heard someone on a podcast describe the first three issues of The Avengers as a team-up book, not a team book. They didn't become a team until Captain America joined in issue #4. I'm sure you can argue the validity of that, but I always liked that description.

No no. That is pretty much true. while the founding member will always be the 5, they didn't become a true team until Cap entered the scene. Hell they would have a rotation leadership for many issues until they left and Hawkeye and gang join.

30 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

I tend to think of Hulk as a solo, too, but he has as much a claim to The Defenders as Doctor Strange does. Even though Hulk is considered a founding Avenger, I never think of him that way.

Hulk left like in issue #2 if I'm not mistaken. And truthfully, if Hasbro ever gets around to making a classic Dr Strange,  &  a new in scale Valkrie , I'll throw him on the Defenders along with Nighthawk & Namor. I've never seen Surfer at Walgreens & truth to tell, Hasbro screwed up by putting him on the smaller Sunfire buck. Norrin Radd is 6'4 & shoulda been put on the Vance Astro/ Capt Universe buck for the correct hgt.

4 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Call me ol school but for my $$, nothing will ever best the classic Avengers lineups of the 70s/80s. That's when they truly rated the title "Earth's mightiest" heroes.  Just need a classic Hercules to do this lineup.

Sorry, I don't consider Wolverine an Avenger, nor Spiderman, DD, Ironfist, Cage, Dr Strange, Rogue, Havok & the Thing. Neither the Hulk , MCU be damned! 3 are always X-men in my book, Strange is a Defender & Thing is & always will be a member of the FF family. IF & Powerman= Heroes for hire. Hulk, Spidey & DD, solo players that once in a while lend teams a hand with Hulk being the one most reluctant to help anyone as he just wants to be left alone.

OIP.SdqXjbsd5l1PclG-hzvvgQHaFJ?pid=Api&d

Such an awesome picture. This inspires awe, a true powerhouse team. I too miss the days when with but a few exceptions teams were separate but eager to work with each other. 

Avengers were Avengers, Xmen were Xmen etc. with only the occasional character with ties to both. And fewer still that actually had membership in both. This made for great storytelling when the Xmen couldn’t be trusted by the Avengers and the Avengers came off as government stooges to the Xmen. These days entire rosters spill over to each groups and it has considerable less appeal to my old school sensibilities.

While I hated what Bendis did to the Avengers and it was hard to take at the time, as a long time fan I was not eager to accept characters that made their names on other teams or were traditionally solo, I eventually accepted them for what they could bring to the Avengers but are they “my Avengers”? Not even close

What truly annoys me is when I see articles about “The 50 Greatest Avengers of all Time” or some similar opinion piece and somehow Wolverine and Spidey make the top 10! What!?! Clearly the author is mistaking popularity over any more deserving Avengers contribution to classic stories. 

The Hulk, in my opinion, is a true Avenger and was glad the MCU was a catalyst for bringing him home. 

Many others are hit or miss but the characters represented in the pic posted are the ones that shaped my love for the Avengers and in my mind are the true classic version

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I've never seen Surfer at Walgreens & truth to tell, Hasbro screwed up by putting him on the smaller Sunfire buck. Norrin Radd is 6'4 & shoulda been put on the Vance Astro/ Capt Universe buck for the correct hgt.

I know precise sizes are a dealbreaker for you, but you’re speaking ill of what might be my favorite Marvel Legends figure you date. 

3 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I know precise sizes are a dealbreaker for you, but you’re speaking ill of what might be my favorite Marvel Legends figure you date. 

Sorry, but It's a fact that Their Surfer about not be in the same hgt scale as Sunfire, Spidey & Shang Chi. They done screwed the pooch in putting Norrin on the wrong buck. beautiful figure, just too short. 

large-2024199.jpg1579902598

McHogan states: What truly annoys me is when I see articles about “The 50 Greatest Avengers of all Time” or some similar opinion piece and somehow Wolverine and Spidey make the top 10! What!?! Clearly the author is mistaking popularity over any more deserving Avengers contribution to classic stories. 

OMG, that's burns me up as well! 1st off, I wouldn't put 50 characters as Avengers. My list of legit Avengers tops off at 25. Spiderman/ Wolverine don't rate to be listed. Spiderman has always worked better as a street level solo player, same goes for DD, IF & Powerman. I enjoyed his teamups with a different marvel character every month but that was it.  I see Starfox as more an Avenger than Spidey or Wolverine. 

I blame Bendis for destroying what the Avengers used to stand for & turning the group into a band of Marvels most popular flavor of the month characters.  

20 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, but It's a fact that Their Surfer about not be in the same hgt scale as Sunfire, Spidey & Shang Chi. They done screwed the pooch in putting Norrin on the wrong buck. beautiful figure, just too short. 

large-2024199.jpg1579902598

It is a great figure and yes, too slight to be the Surfer. Especially when you see him against the FF and Sub-Mariner. Then again they made that first Torch way too big (not to mention the yellow head) but if anything, Surfer shouldve been on THAT buck. 

Lmao Starfox, I mean if r**ists are more Avengers material than Spidey, Wolvie, Hulk, Luke Cage, IF, DD, JJ then the Avengers need to re-evaluate their membership 

On Avengers topic I need:

Blue Marvel, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Sunspot, Cannonball, Captain Marvel (Car-Ell) updated, Wasp (Nadia), Hyperion (Hickman version), Smasher (Izzy Kane)

I made a quick list of my Top 20 Avengers.

Note that this list is not in order of my favorites or preferences; this is the order I view the characters as essential or crucial to the Avengers' history both in-story and in publishing. When I close my eyes and think of the Avengers, these are the characters who pop up in roughly this order. 

1. Captain America
  2. Hawkeye
  3. Iron Man
  4. The Wasp
  5. Vision
  6. Scarlet Witch
  7. Thor
  8. Black Panther
  9. Hank Pym
  10. Captain Marvel (Monica)
  11. Black Widow
  12. Black Knight
  13. Hercules
  14. Wonder Man
  15. Beast
  16. She-Hulk
  17. Ms. Marvel (Carol)
  18. Quicksilver
  19. Tigra
  20. The Hulk

8 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

Lmao Starfox, I mean if r**ists are more Avengers material than Spidey, Wolvie, Hulk, Luke Cage, IF, DD, JJ then the Avengers need to re-evaluate their membership 

Blue Marvel, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Sunspot, Cannonball, Captain Marvel (Car-Ell) updated, Wasp (Nadia), Hyperion (Hickman version), Smasher (Izzy Kane)

Sorry, but those of us who loved Roger Stern's Avengers run (which is in the running for the best avengers run of all time imo) aren't gonna burn our floppies because Slott decided later on to utterly trash the character for the sake of one 2-part story,  transforming  him from happy-go-lucky hero into a villain who uses his power for sexual assault and to toy with peoples' lives.   Certainly neither Stern nor Fox's creator Starlin envisioned this happening (nor Kurt Busiek when he used the character briefly, nor Peter David in Genis-vell's title), and i'm guessing that if Stern had foreseen  writers doing this he never would've given Starfox those powers in the first place.  Slott's story tainted Stern's run (as well as Starlin's Captain Marvel run, including the Death of Captain Marvel) , the same way Identity Crisis tainted the JLA Satellite era, and tbh i would love it if some writer would come along and completely retcon Slott's story but in the meantime i choose to ignore both comics.

On topic, starfox isn't exactly a top priority, i'd say Moondragon and Mantis and Swordsman all deserve figures, as does safari jacket Wonderman.   The modern characters you mention would be fine too.

9 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

I disregard Slut's .. I mean Slotts depiction of Starfox as a character that uses his powers for that type of stuff. And the list of characters you just mentioned  do not make me think "Mightiest heroes".  Hyperion is the leader of the Squadron Supreme in my book, not an Avenger.  That would be like DC throwing Superman from the JL to the Teen Titans or the Doom Patrol.  Sunspot, Cannonball=X-force/New Mutants. Smasher is a Imperial Guardsman. The rest, I could care 2 hoots about as characters.  

Considering  Starfox is Thanos brother, it would be an ideal 2 pack if Hasbro did classic comic based versions of both. Based on the artist whom I believe is the definitive Thanos artist, Ron Lim.

Image result for marvel comic images of ron lim thanos

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I disregard Slut's .. I mean Slotts depiction of Starfox as a character that uses his powers for that type of stuff. And the list of characters you just mentioned  do not make me think "Mightiest heroes".  Hyperion is the leader of the Squadron Supreme in my book, not an Avenger.  That would be like DC throwing Superman from the JL to the Teen Titans or the Doom Patrol.  Sunspot, Cannonball=X-force/New Mutants. Smasher is a Imperial Guardsman. The rest, I could care 2 hoots about as characters.  

Considering  Starfox is Thanos brother, it would be an ideal 2 pack if Hasbro did classic comic based versions of both. Based on the artist whom I believe is the definitive Thanos artist, Ron Lim.

spacer.png

Hickman begs to differ😜😘

Plus the Hyperion that joined never was Squadron Supreme member or leader due to the incursions destroying his universe. 

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Once again I am in full agreement. Looking at what Hickman did may be worse than what Bendis did. At the very least Bendis was playing with the best of the best of Marvel’s characters ( even though most should not have ever been official Avengers) but Hickman took C & D characters, made up a few more and claimed these are “Avengers”. I see what they were trying, make the Avengers a global presence, but adding characters like Ex Nihilo, Smasher, Starbrand & Night mask?!?( are you GD kidding me?!? These two especially were originally from the failed New Universe fiasco, but now some ( any ) version are good enough to be Avengers? F bomb no way.

its been a rough decade between Bendis, Hickman and the Unity Squad.. just let the Avengers be the Avengers. It seems they have righted the ship however on the fence with any Ghost Rider being an Avenger

Yeah and sorry Starfox is not a rapist. Weird how a one off story sticks in people’s minds more than a characters 40 plus years of existence...

and Marvel should be ashamed they let that writer get away with that. There are ways to tackle social issues without destroying long time characters for shock value

1 hour ago, nWoWolfpack said:

spacer.png

Hickman begs to differ😜😘

Plus the Hyperion that joined never was Squadron Supreme member or leader due to the incursions destroying his universe. 

I read that some time back about this Hyperion being different than the classic Hyperion. And that one was different than the one who ran the Squadron Sinister. And THAT one was different than the one from the Supreme book. 

Ugh... just stop Marvel...

15 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Yeah and sorry Starfox is not a rapist. Weird how a one off story sticks in people’s minds more than a characters 40 plus years of existence...

and Marvel should be ashamed they let that writer get away with that. There are ways to tackle social issues without destroying long time characters for shock value

I  don't mind heroes doing an occasional heel turn, but it bothers me when its done in a way that isn't easily walked back (.e.g, robbing a few banks or battling heroes is one thing, sexual assault is another).  Hank Pym comes to mind as well, as hitting Jan pretty much defined most writer's take on the character from that point forward (and its not like he didn't already have "built evil robot" to live down).  However in my earlier post i should've been more clear that i am upset with Slott, not with nWoWolfPack for going along  with the modern take on Starfox.

17 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Once again I am in full agreement. Looking at what Hickman did may be worse than what Bendis did. At the very least Bendis was playing with the best of the best of Marvel’s characters ( even though most should not have ever been official Avengers) but Hickman took C & D characters, made up a few more and claimed these are “Avengers”. I see what they were trying, make the Avengers a global presence, but adding characters like Ex Nihilo, Smasher, Starbrand & Night mask?!?( are you GD kidding me?!? These two especially were originally from the failed New Universe fiasco, but now some ( any ) version are good enough to be Avengers? F bomb no way.

its been a rough decade between Bendis, Hickman and the Unity Squad.. just let the Avengers be the Avengers. It seems they have righted the ship however on the fence with any Ghost Rider being an Avenger

I didn't mind it for the one storyline as was one that impacted the whole multiverse.  I'm not sure if other writers continued to use those characters after Secret Wars rebooted the 616 universe.  And tbh i'd prefer the likes of Smasher or Starbrand over pulling a Bendis and just stealing all the company's most popular characters for your own book. (in retrospect i'm surprised Bendis didn't somehow work Deadpool onto the team).

And let's face it, we could certainly use a new Hyperion figure, even if there are way too many versions floating around the 616.

14 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I  don't mind heroes doing an occasional heel turn, but it bothers me when its done in a way that isn't easily walked back (.e.g, robbing a few banks or battling heroes is one thing, sexual assault is another).  Hank Pym comes to mind as well, as hitting Jan pretty much defined most writer's take on the character from that point forward (and its not like he didn't already have "built evil robot" to live down).  However in my earlier post i should've been more clear that i am upset with Slott, not with nWoWolfPack for going along  with the modern take on Starfox.

I didn't mind it for the one storyline as was one that impacted the whole multiverse.  I'm not sure if other writers continued to use those characters after Secret Wars rebooted the 616 universe.  And tbh i'd prefer the likes of Smasher or Starbrand over pulling a Bendis and just stealing all the company's most popular characters for your own book. (in retrospect i'm surprised Bendis didn't somehow work Deadpool onto the team).

And let's face it, we could certainly use a new Hyperion figure, even if there are way too many versions floating around the 616.

Same, no issue with nwowolfpack either. Who knows,  that Slott story may have been his only exposure to Starfox. or maybe he is on board with Slott’s take, or he doesn’t care one way or the other. 

My issue is with the Slott as well. Just disappointed with him and Marvel with this whole situation. 

The Pym thing bugs me too.  NOne of us condoned abuse but that one story has been a writers crutch ever since it happened.  It’s like they see no other aspect of his character. Some writers have had him overcome this terrible thing only for the next one to rehash the whole thing over. Some characters I guess are forever meant to be one dimensional. Really hope time doesn’t add Starfox to this list because of one dumb story

54 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

A lot of the characters were used when 616 was remade, especially Starbrand & Nightmask, until Aaron decided to kill off  Starbrand and make a baby Starbrand which is now being babysitted by the Avengers and forget about Nightmask. Hickman’s Hyperion is in limbo, the rest of the Hyperions are dead or may have been resurrected with many universes being brought back. Only Mephisto’s Hyperion is used. Smasher appears in the X-Men books living with Cannonball and their baby Josiah with Sunspot as their landlord in the Shi’ar Empire. Shang appears in Agents of Atlas. Manifold appears in Black Panther. Ex Nihilo & Abyss seem to be still dead. Captain Universe is in limbo. 

ehh I don’t mind Ghost Rider on the team 

• 3 months later...

No, Hasbro can never finish certain teams as long as anyone who writes a book can add whoever they want. But there are teams with fixed rosters that Hasbro may still never finish, mostly due to just having no (perceived) interest. And that's a shame, 'cause fans and collectors are missing out. 

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll ever see a completed original 6" Guardians of the Galaxy team. Can't fathom why they made Vance Astro (and on an overly large buck, at that) and never made Starhawk, Martinex, Yondu, Charlie-27 or Nikki but there's no sign of either on the horizon. 

Likewise, and it pains me to say it, but the Inhumans aren't looking too good either, despite the fact that almost the entire team did get the 3.75" treatment. There've just been too many chances for them to show, but what a box set they would make with a fully articulated Lockjaw! 

Then there's the Starjammers. Never completed? Never got started. 

Lastly, what I consider my pet faves. Just not enough fans have heard of these guys. Agents of AtlasNamora, Venus , The Uranian, The Gorilla-ManM-11, The Human Robot, and 3D Man). Actually they have a better shot than my pet project, the Mystery Men (the Revenant, the Operative, the Aviatrix, the Surgeon, and Achilles). Sadly no matter how great I think they were, I just dont see Hasbro Legends snapping them up. 

Reverse Jedi mind trick....

On 12/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, Atlantis said:

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll ever see a completed original 6" Guardians of the Galaxy team. Can't fathom why they made Vance Astro (and on an overly large buck, at that) and never made Starhawk, Martinex, Yondu, Charlie-27 or Nikki but there's no sign of either on the horizon. 

They made Vance/Major Victory because a version of him was time displaced and joined the team with Star-Lord, during the Abnett and Lanning run on Guardians following Annihilation Conquest.  And based on that book, he's about that size.  I get that makes him out of scale with official material and previous appearances, but Hasbro definitely tailored that release to the 2008 version of the team. 

Most of those characters did show up near the end of the run, in some time travel/alternate universe hi-jinx, so if Hasbro went deeper with the 2008 title, I personally wish they would, they might get to the original Guardians eventually.