Gamestop Selling Marvel Legends For $30 - Stick A Fork In Them

JayC

34 minutes ago, Benn said:

Now there's pictures floating around of Legends displays at Target showing a $29.99 pricetag. Hmm...

And reports that a few Wal-Marts are showing the same thing.

Might be the end of the road for me, unless they are

A - Seriously amping up the accessories/alt parts with the figures (to levels like we've seen with the recent Black Widow Exclusives)

B - Bumping the Build-A-Figures to "Toy Biz Glory Days" sizes.

or

C - Some combination of both.

Like...if they start loading out every standard-sized figure like White-Suit (Movie) Natasha and stop doing BAFs,  instead just packaging them as a single at the same pricepoint (but less FX/Accessories)...that might be worth it to me.  But if we're getting effectively the same product we're getting now for a 50% price increase?  Nope, sorry Hasbro, guess it's time for me to either stop collecting altogether or just focus on boutique/high-end product.  $30 per fig would not be a sufficient value to justify purchase if the quality/accessory level remains what we've had for the last few years.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions until we get more solid info, but if the price rises to $30 for marvel legends at WM and Target then i think i'm done buying them other than during sales/markdowns, and then only for highly sought after figures like FA Storm or something like that.  Instead i'll focus on other $20 line like McFarlane's DC or Jazware's Fortnite, and enjoy the collection of MLs i've already assembled.

tbh i think raising the price to $30 a figure would more or less kill the line as far as toy aisle sales, but i could very well be wrong.

I still think there's a chance the target $30 sign was either a mistake or was intended for a deluxe figure.

If you guys are talking about this, I am about 99.9% sure this isn't for a regular Marvel Legends and no Walmart and Target aren't raising prices from $20 to $30 on regular Marvel Legends. Target still has all regular ML at $20 on their website and the price of a deluxe figure is $30. If there was a price hike coming from Hasbro it would be a couple dollars, they aren't gonna jump the price up by $10 overnite, and as I said, I checked and no indication of Hasbro implementing any kind of cross the board price hike in the foreseeable future. Deluxe figures and maybe even some Fan Channel stuff will cost more than $20 but not regular figures.

83910285_3228978657121754_2658075944333344768_o.jpg

9 hours ago, Benn said:

Of note, the code in the top right there, "E5302", is definitely the wendigo wave, not some new deluxe X-Force figure. So, either that tag is a mistake, or some Targets are selling that wave for $30, for whatever reason.

Then it’s either a mistake or it’s faked, either way there is no real indication the price is going up to $30. Walmart and targets entire model is based on keeping their prices as low as possible and not gonna jack prices up to $30 while amazon sits at $20.  Gamestop is desperate, they are on the verge of going out of business and everyone knows it, and those big box retailers aren’t going to follow GameStop’s lead. If the manufacturer raised the price, then maybe, but they haven’t. The people who say the line is done are correct if the price jumped up By $10. It would drive many away from what is already a small niche. Parents certainly aren’t going to pay that much. It would be the death of the hobby, which I don’t doubt one day will come, just don’t think it’s quit today 

10 hours ago, JayC said:

Then it’s either a mistake or it’s faked, either way there is no real indication the price is going up to $30. Walmart and targets entire model is based on keeping their prices as low as possible and not gonna jack prices up to $30 while amazon sits at $20.  Gamestop is desperate, they are on the verge of going out of business and everyone knows it, and those big box retailers aren’t going to follow GameStop’s lead. If the manufacturer raised the price, then maybe, but they haven’t. The people who say the line is done are correct if the price jumped up By $10. It would drive many away from what is already a small niche. Parents certainly aren’t going to pay that much. It would be the death of the hobby, which I don’t doubt one day will come, just don’t think it’s quit today 

Second that. There's just not enough here to justify spending that kind of money on these figures. Even Hasbro knows that. They can make more money (and do) by either repainting the same figure and/or making slight changes to that figure, than they can by jacking up prices all around. 

21 hours ago, tarot said:

You know the main reason i think this is a bit of fear mongering from some dickheads is because i havent read anything about any other hasbro product making a 10 jump, only marvel legends. Do you honestly think they would increase the price by a tener on only one line?

Second THAT. It makes no sense. But the bottom line for me is, I know how to walk away. Jack up the price like that and no matter how much I may want that line, I will not buy. If I cant find it cheaper elsewhere? I go without. I enjoy the figures I've already collected.

I went to a few Gamestops today on the hunt for Jedi Revan (which, amazingly, I found), and pricing was all over the place. At one, I saw Doom for $29.99 and Zuckuss had gone up to $29.99 (after previously being $24.99 any time I'd seen him at Gamestop), but the rest of the Black Series and Legends figures I saw were still $22.99. At another, Guardian, one of the new PS4 Spider-Men, and Loki were all $24.99, as were Zuckuss and Revan (who's listed online at $29.99, but marked down to $24.99), and other Legends and Black Series figures were still $22.99. Weird.

When I first saw this, I was like 30$? That's not that bad. But then I realized that this price tag came from a Target in the US. Not Canada where 30$ is how much a Marvel Legends goes for. I can understand why some figures such as the upcmoing Venom and the re-release of the Giant-Man figure would go for 40$ CDN. But 30$ U.S for a single carded regular figure? That's a little too much. I hope this gets resolved for my fellow collectors across the border.

So, I only have about 10 to 20 more characters I would really like to have in my collection, so if the price goes up too much, or Hasbro loses the license, I can say I already have a pretty amazing collection...but who am I kidding, I will probably still keep buying 6 inch Marvel figures!  And I will make the ones they don't! 

IMG_1933.JPG

Maybe it's the trade war with China. The US consumers are the ones that have to pay Trump's tariff hikes. The idea is that we balk about paying $30 for something that should be $20 so we stop buying it. Chinese factory orders tank. The factories close and people get laid off. The Chinese government loses out on taxes since money stops changing hands. The US government wins!! We, the US consumers, don't win. They don't make our stuff anymore.

On 2/13/2020 at 8:43 PM, JayC said:

If you guys are talking about this, I am about 99.9% sure this isn't for a regular Marvel Legends and no Walmart and Target aren't raising prices from $20 to $30 on regular Marvel Legends. Target still has all regular ML at $20 on their website and the price of a deluxe figure is $30. If there was a price hike coming from Hasbro it would be a couple dollars, they aren't gonna jump the price up by $10 overnite, and as I said, I checked and no indication of Hasbro implementing any kind of cross the board price hike in the foreseeable future. Deluxe figures and maybe even some Fan Channel stuff will cost more than $20 but not regular figures.

83910285_3228978657121754_2658075944333344768_o.jpg

According to a quick googlin, this picture was shared by Toy Shiz on March 24, 2019, on either instagram or facebook.

As @Benn mentioned, the code 5302 is actually for the Wendigo wave, and I never saw it above $19.99 at Target or Walmart, and as low as $4.50.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:29 AM, JayC said:

The tariffs never happened. As I previously posted in this thread, I did some checking to see if a overall price hike from Hasbro was coming, but all indications are that they are not.

Did not know that the tariffs never happened as the article was from early last year, but the fact is Hasbro toy shop has gone up on their prices too. The figures went from $19.99 to $21.49. While it’s just $1.50 more, that’s an indication that something has changed and the cost are being passed down to the consumer. I don’t see Walmart selling them for less too much longer.

2 hours ago, truedante2004 said:

Did not know that the tariffs never happened as the article was from early last year, but the fact is Hasbro toy shop has gone up on their prices too. The figures went from $19.99 to $21.49. While it’s just $1.50 more, that’s an indication that something has changed and the cost are being passed down to the consumer. I don’t see Walmart selling them for less too much longer.

Yes. But they announced that rise during last year. There is also a hige different between 1.50 and 10.00

To quote Aaron Rogers: relax, R-E-L-A-X. No way Hasbro out prices their fan base. A $10 price increase out of the blue would cause such fan backlash as to have their sales drop to he point that any increase in price of new figures would be offset by the loss of collectors who drop the line.  

Hasbro is in a groove. They are producing the best line on the market right now in terms of sculpting, quality, and variety there is no way they show the arrogance to think we would accept that steep of a price increase to continue collecting. Image that Hasbro, who loves to repackage the same figures with a slight color change or in a multipack also decides that we are suckers enough to buy that same figure with a huge increase of cost!?! We all complain to some degree that repacks are out of hand, there is no way this line can sustain the same business model and practices of releasing essentially the same product at a higher price point. Hasbro would have to adopt a entirely new approach to how they release repaints.

another point, the recent MCU/ 80th anniversary sets. Many retailers immediately dropped the price to sell out their stock. Are the big box stores really going to hope consumers will spend the higher price point when they panicked and dropped the cost of new sets days after release? 

new releases sell well due to the demand for new products but once the rush is over the those waves are stagnant. Would big box adopt the higher price point just for new releases? Doubt it. They still need to sell their stock, and consumers will balk at high prices. I have left entire waves from FYE and GameStop due to their rediculous prices.

i guess it's wait and see. Personally I can take the price hit if I so choose, but i guarantee I'd be more selective on which figures I bought. With the amount of product Hasbro has been putting out it doesn't seem like Hasbro would force us to be so restrained

That is very sad news...so that would be approximately 15-20AUD price increase for a 10 USD increase...It will be very expensive for a Marvel Legends Walgreens exclusive...most expensive price of Black Outfit Emma Frost or Magik is 55AUD...with that price increase it will go up to 70AUD for 1 action figure ..thats like 2 marvel legends action figures

8 minutes ago, mako said:

I don't think its so much people are jumping the gun. As you said, its still about a week to Toyfair, its been pretty slow news-wise, so certain individuals are probably bored from the lack of news and threw together a BS rumor to liven things up.

Exactly what i said. Also that price tag that was hovering around social media was fake for several reason.

1. It was for the xforce wendigo wave and i doubt very much that target would up the price for something that is about to go on discount to make wave for the next stuff.

2. People say its for the next xforce but there is no xforce wave this year. That is listed as a deadpool wave. People will probably say they use the same code for the next wave? Yeah they stop doing that after people couldnt find what they want.

3. The image is of a screen shot of a instragram post. Let me say that again. A screenshot of a instagram post. ill let people figure out why that is something.

4. In the so called screen shot is toyshiz group, which i follow and look and they dont have it there. Now they may have posted it and took it down after but that to me make it seem like they realised it was fake.

5. Lastly, we dont know where it was from. I think it was from canada sonce they charge that anyway but i dont think it was.

11 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

That is very sad news...so that would be approximately 15-20AUD price increase for a 10 USD increase...It will be very expensive for a Marvel Legends Walgreens exclusive...most expensive price of Black Outfit Emma Frost or Magik is 55AUD...with that price increase it will go up to 70AUD for 1 action figure ..thats like 2 marvel legends action figures

First of all I'm not sure this entire topic qualifies as "news". If Gamestop (a company that's going under and is desperate to get what they can), upped the price it doesn't follow that all other retailers will.  A lot of what I'm seeing here is rumor, speculation, and false conclusions based on shaky info. Not to mention the idiots who posted error filled posts and now have too much ego to admit they were wrong. So they double down. So lets not categorize this as anything its not yet confirmed to be.

12 hours ago, Atlantis said:

First of all I'm not sure this entire topic qualifies as "news". If Gamestop (a company that's going under and is desperate to get what they can), upped the price it doesn't follow that all other retailers will.  A lot of what I'm seeing here is rumor, speculation, and false conclusions based on shaky info. Not to mention the idiots who posted error filled posts and now have too much ego to admit they were wrong. So they double down. So lets not categorize this as anything its not yet confirmed to be.

Same here, I was surprised to see this on the front page.