Sam Raimi Being Considered To Direct Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

JayC

According to Variety, the original Spider-Man director Sam Raimi is being considered to direct the next Doctor Strange movie which is titled "In The Multiverse of Madness". Last month it had been reported that Scott Derrickson and Marvel had parted ways and he would no longer be directing the sequel. The movie which stars Benedict Cumberbatch is expected to start production in May. The movie is said to also feature Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlet Witch) and will have close ties with the new Disney+ WandaVision series which is set to debut in December. Multiverse of Madness is slated to open in theaters on May 7, 2021.

I am cautiously optimistic. He definitely has a style. I’d be surprised if a director of his renown would bow to the wishes of the MCU juggernaut and do as they say. Kinda thought I read he learned his lesson with studio control after Spider-Man 3. 

However if there is one MCU franchise that would embrace Sams wackiness it would be Dr. Strange

This is boss move by Marvel after somewhat troubling departure of previous director,  AAA+ damage control, now people won’t even think that movie won’t include horror element because it’s has one of the most creative horror directors who also knows superheroes genre well. I am excited however I have fears that marvel formula will affect Raimi style but still it gotta be amazing.  

4 hours ago, mako said:

Can't help sharing your concerns. I mean, Solo was such a train wreck not even Ron Howard could save it. What if the same holds true for Doc II? No one will argue Raimi would fit right in with the A-Listers the MCU used to bring in: Favreau, Branagh, the Russos, but not even they can make a silk purse of out of a steaming pile of pig-s--t.

Did you actually see Solo? I went in absolutely believing it was going to be garbage, but it was actually really solid. Young Han and Lando pulled off their older counterparts' mannerisms really convincingly, the acting was above average for a Star Wars movie, and it was just a fun heist movie. It had all the makings of a train wreck, but somehow worked.

Seems like a good choice to me.  I liked the first Doctor Strange movie well enough (mostly on the strength of the trippy scenes) but Scott Derrickson doesn't seem irreplaceable and Raimi brings both horror and superhero bona fides to the game.  Plus its pretty appropriate that Raimi will now have tackled both of Ditko's most well-known creations.

13 hours ago, Benn said:

Did you actually see Solo? I went in absolutely believing it was going to be garbage, but it was actually really solid. Young Han and Lando pulled off their older counterparts' mannerisms really convincingly, the acting was above average for a Star Wars movie, and it was just a fun heist movie. It had all the makings of a train wreck, but somehow worked.

It's the second best of the Disney Era Star Wars movies, after Rogue One.

• 2 months later...

The original Spider-Man movie director Sam Raimi has confirmed in an interview with ComingSoon.net, that he will be directing the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness movie for Marvel Studios. Back in February we heard reports that he was being considered after Scott Derrickson unexpectedly departed the project.

In the recent interview Raimi said the following:

I loved Doctor Strange as a kid, but he was always after Spider-Man and Batman for me, he was probably at number five for me of great comic book characters,” Raimi described. “He was so original, but when we had that moment in Spider-Man 2 I had no idea that we would ever be making a Doctor Strange movie, so it was really funny to me that coincidentally that line was in the movie. I gotta say I wish we had the foresight to know that I was going to be involved in the project.

Doctor Strange 2 has been pushed back to a Nov. 5, 2021 release date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Cool.. I guess..., Sam Raimi is a good director, but he is very niche, does some stuff really well but I havent seen too much of his work that I like, the spiderman trilogy was good for their time (well the first and second movies) I have some issues with them but not enough that I dindt enjoy the movies but aside from those there is nothing he's done that screams big box office movie to me, still he does deserve the bennefit of the doubt because he is ovearll a good director, so im ok with it, hopefully he'll do a good job with this movie cause it seems a lot is riding on this one when it comes to the future of the mcu

I hope they go heavier on mood and "horror" and less on humor....also, really hope they put him in an outfit closer to the comic. They weren't all that far off! Give us the real Cloak of Levitation with the big red collar, red with yellow design trim, and the Eye of Agamotto direct from the comics.

This is the best news to come from the development of this project in a long time. Derrickson was turning this thing into a total $#!+ show from the jump off the good will he created from the first movie. BTW, a lot of people are of the opinion that the success of the first was more a product of good placement and timing than overall quality as compared to the rest of the MCU projects. It's time for Hollywood to start purging themselves of these ego inflated directors that try to change everything about a successful property and it's characters to make it "their own" in order to create some self-serving publicity piece. They love to take credit when it turns out good, but wanna reflect all the blame when it goes wrong (Star Wars, anybody?) Now they're working with a director that knows how to stay true to the source material, but still use his personal style and trademark method to make it unmistakably their own. And for those on the fence as to whether this would work well as a horror brand, well this just answered the doubters.

Now if we could get rid of that loudmouth, hateful no-talent that's sabotaging the She-Hulk project before it even leaves the gate we might be getting somewhere.

2 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

Interesting choice...I love spider-man 2, but spider-man 3 was really terrible..hope that does not happen here.

Spider-Man 3 was ruined by Executive Meddling. Raimi didn't want to use Venom but the execs want him in so they could sell more action figures