Classic VS. New Age/Moddern?

Guest EUPHORICVIKING

Although, I also am a fan of different iteration and designs for characters. I tend to lean toward Classic. 

I am curious. As collectors do you prefer to get Classic/Iconic costumes or do you like Modern costumes?

Kick it around, I'm curious. 

I like a good mix. At the end of the day, I'm usually able to look past my nostalgia and say "that's a better looking costume", but I also really like seeing team line-ups completed with era-appropriate costuming. I've been loving the golden age of 90s X-Men team completion, but I'm ready to see more 80s and modern costumes make appearances.

I very much prefer "classic".  Some modern looks have enough classic elements that i'm fine with them (Hercules, Shocker).  Other modern looks are eye-catching enough that i'm fine with them as well (living laser).   I'm sure it mostly comes down to what era of comics you grew up reading / what costumes evoke nostalgia.  

Marvel, naturally, wants to promote more current looks.  Its just tricky because costumes seemingly change a lot more often these days.  Many characters maintained a fairly consistent look during the 60s-70s and even into the 80s before switching things up. Nowadays it seems like every new creative team will come up with a new costume, so that by the time the figure gets made, the character has moved on to a new outfit in the comics.

Of course a lot of it comes down to just how you define classic. For me, most of the time its the look the character had in the 60s,70s, or 80s but the 90s are more than 20 years old now so i'm sure many would consider 90s looks "classic" as well.

I overwhelmingly prefer classic/iconic costumes to modern interpretations. I think it's because I discovered so many superheroes not through comics but through merchandizing and toys in the '80s that I think, "This is the version of Thor that's on a U.S. Postage stamp, therefore that is how the character must look to be identified by people who don't read comics."

Now, that doesn't always mean the first appearance costume is better. For example, while I would be tickled to get a first-appearance Falcon action figure, I think everyone agrees that the superior design is when he got his red and white costume (and eventually the things). That is the version that got a MEGO doll in the '70s. That's the version that got a Secret Wars figure in the '80s, despite Falcon not being in the Secret Wars comic! Therefore, that is the iconic Falcon. Now, Hasbro can make a modern version with the black and red costume and I'm sure some fans would like that, but I think they should cover their classic/iconic bases first. 

It depends completely on the character.  A character like Spider-Man, I'll take every costume they make no matter what era it's from.  Most of the Avengers I prefer first appearance or classic costumes.  Cosmic characters, usually the 00s looks, so neither modern nor classic in that case.  I take it on a figure by figure basis, but I guess if I had to pick a decade of costumes I'd say either 90s or 00s.  

Classic.

By classic I don't mean old or first appearance. It's usually the one that most people think of when they think of the character. It's usually the longest lasting on a character and IMO the best one.

As an example we'll use Wonder Man. His green first appearance monstrosity isn't classic. Some could consider his Safari outfit classic. I don't I think it's dumb. His first good costume and best is also what I'd call classic is his black and red suit with or without sunglasses. 

wonderman.gif

1 hour ago, UsurperSmurf said:

Classic.

By classic I don't mean old or first appearance. It's usually the one that most people think of when they think of the character. It's usually the longest lasting on a character and IMO the best one.

As an example we'll use Wonder Man. His green first appearance monstrosity isn't classic. Some could consider his Safari outfit classic. I don't I think it's dumb. His first good costume and best is also what I'd call classic is his black and red suit with or without sunglasses. 

wonderman.gif

That's part of the problem with doing classic/iconic costumes, everyone's opinion is different as it will depend on their own personal tastes and what era they remember. Alos just because it lasted the longest doesn't exactly mean it is the best, again it's down to personal choice

I would lean towards modern(-ish) first and foremost. I’m a big comic reader and so I prefer my figures to reflect the characters look in my favorite story arcs which are usually modern. I like to complete teams as well so I’m happy to receive costume variants from multiple eras.

My favorite run on the X-men was the Matt Fraction Utopia era. I loved how the costumes were modernized variants on the characters most iconic costumes. So I’d ideally prefer the figures to reflect this era. 

493B65A0-2E62-48B7-BE64-DBF31B2D2953.jpeg

Classic costumes from the 70s-80s for me. Today's writers/artists are too busy redoing characters looks on a semi yearly basis nowadays to the point where there's no such thing as a consistent look anymore to Marvel characters. All about the "cool" new look. Iron Man has a different armor every other story arc. I prefer for a character to maintain a certain look at least for a few yrs , not a few months or less. And nothing is wrong with 1st app Wonderman's costume.  I prefer him masked & looking like a super hero than in tank tops or safari Jackets. 

11 hours ago, Starlord67 said:

I prefer classic costumes on certain characters but some Modern costumes are better. I love classic 70's Scarlet With but her new costume is awesome with the red and black. 

b88f6c24b2ac1bcb4dea2df7b42c0582.jpg

I really like Wanda's modern look, though my favourite is still the costume Alan Davis gave her. Either though are better than her classic swimsuit look

I definitely prefer a mix.  Generally speaking if it's the first time we're getting a character I tend to prefer classic UNLESS, bluntly, the classic look just looks...dumb.

Though I guess that also depends on what is meant by "classic."  If classic means "first appearance" or if it means "best known outfit."  It seems to be interchangeable.

For example, Trapster is a character that comes up semi-frequently as one that is due for a Marvel Legends appearance.  "Classic" Trapster looks like:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/33/c2/5c/33c25cff938ccf1ac40e4090da9ab05e--evil-villains-paste.jpg

Whereas I'd probably prefer this one:

https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Trapster-Marvel-Comics-Fantastic-Four-Peter-Petruski-b.jpg

And Modern Trapster seems to have a different costume every time he shows up, so picking one might be difficult (please no "Ninja Trapster")

19 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I definitely prefer a mix.  Generally speaking if it's the first time we're getting a character I tend to prefer classic UNLESS, bluntly, the classic look just looks...dumb.

Though I guess that also depends on what is meant by "classic."  If classic means "first appearance" or if it means "best known outfit."  It seems to be interchangeable.

For example, Trapster is a character that comes up semi-frequently as one that is due for a Marvel Legends appearance.  "Classic" Trapster looks like:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/33/c2/5c/33c25cff938ccf1ac40e4090da9ab05e--evil-villains-paste.jpg

Whereas I'd probably prefer this one:

https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Trapster-Marvel-Comics-Fantastic-Four-Peter-Petruski-b.jpg

And Modern Trapster seems to have a different costume every time he shows up, so picking one might be difficult (please no "Ninja Trapster")

Yeah, I would go for Number 2, it's the one from my old Top Trumps cards

Is it cheating to say I prefer classics for the classic teams and modern for the modern teams?

back in the day we were lucky to get one version of say, Ant-Man or Hercules. Nowadays we have classic and modern versions of both. Granted the classic Hercules is from Hasbro's dark days but standing towards the back of the group he looks good. And modern Herc looks pretty good standing next to the other modern takes on Heroes. 

We are spoiled, we really don't have to choose, we just have to be patient.