Marvel's Eternals Movie To Feature LGBTQ+ Kiss

JayC

In a recent interview via Newnownext.com, actor Haaz Sleiman who will play the husband of Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry) in the upcoming Eternals movie confirmed that we will be seeing the first LGBTQ+ kiss in the MCU.

Oh, yeah, absolutely, and it’s a beautiful, very moving kiss. Everyone cried on set. For me it’s very important to show how loving and beautiful a queer family can be. Brian Tyree Henry is such a tremendous actor and brought so much beauty into this part, and at one point I saw a child in his eyes, and I think it’s important for the world to be reminded that we in the queer community were all children at one point. We forget that because we’re always depicted as sexual or rebellious. We forget to connect on that human part.

And no I don't think this is really major breaking news or a big deal. LGBT+ kisses happen all the time on TV and in movies now. I have absolutely no problem with it happening in the movie but nor do I think its a major breaking event as some will likely try and portray it as.

Not relevant. If ID politics takes over the identity of this film like with Star Wars then I'm not gonna watch it. Especially as the bigger controversy will be these cowards cutting the kiss out in other countries. We're comic book lovers, we've seen this a million times. It doesn't need a song and dance. It's just a natural thang. 

11 minutes ago, Jeddostotle7 said:

And it only took 25 movies over the course of 12 years... very brave, Disney!  Really breaking boundaries, ain't ya?

How much y'all wanna bet it'll be a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment like in Rise of Skywalker?  Hopefully it'll at least involve a main (or even named) character this time.

IDK, in all honesty I am not that up on my Eternals lore, but I will say the actor in this interview is not yet even listed as part of the cast on IMDb.

17 minutes ago, JayC said:

IDK, in all honesty I am not that up on my Eternals lore, but I will say the actor in this interview is not yet even listed as part of the cast on IMDb.

Oh, so it'll probably be like Star Trek Beyond showing Sulu's husband for like 5-10 seconds of screentime.  That's... probably better than the literal 1 second lesbian kiss in Rise of Skywalker, or for another Disney example, LeFou dancing with a guy for the briefest of moments which they similarly tried to hype up as this big thing but ended up being completely underwhelming, but still... not great.

2 hours ago, Lordtom said:

Not relevant. If ID politics takes over the identity of this film like with Star Wars then I'm not gonna watch it. Especially as the bigger controversy will be these cowards cutting the kiss out in other countries. We're comic book lovers, we've seen this a million times. It doesn't need a song and dance. It's just a natural thang. 

Can you explain to me how identity politics took over Star Wars? I'll concede that the new movies had more women and people of colour in more prominent roles than the prior trilogies, but at no point did it seem like they went out of their way to make a thing of race or gender in any of the stories. What am I missing?

5 hours ago, Lordtom said:

Never have truer words been spoken. Do it if you're gonna do it, but don't make the entire movie about how groundbreaking it is. It's not like same sex relations haven't been seen in movies and television before.

While I am in 100% agreement with the fact that male on male or female on female kiss isn't anything groundbreaking or super news worthy in this day and age, and should be treated no differently than if we see a male and female kissing on screen, at the same time when you have people going on rants, making comments or constant YT videos on things like identity politics are bringing these franchises down or spouting hateful comments about it, your making it as a big a deal as the so-called click bait headlines promoting it your complaining about. You can't have it both ways. Its either complete normal and should be treated as such, go about your business nothing to see here, or its not.

18 hours ago, JayC said:

And no I don't think this is really major breaking news or a big deal. LGBT+ kisses happen all the time on TV and in movies now. I have absolutely no problem with it happening in the movie but nor do I think its a major breaking event as some will likely try and portray it as.

On one hand, that's true.  It absolutely should be a non-event. 

On the other, until 1.5 seconds of Rise of Skywalker, have we ever seen that in a "blockbuster" film from arguably the biggest mainstream franchise of its' day?  From that perspective it might be newsworthy.  It's all over "premium" television and arthouse films, but mainstream productions have still shied away from directly portraying it, and particularly with gay men.

To be clear, gay characters are fairly commonplace even in mainstream productions, but seeing them actually demonstrate their preference in any physical way has been rare.

9 hours ago, Magnetotron said:

We shall have to see if it is natural or contrived, and if it's natural to the story or plot points, then it still deserves evaluation of political pandering. Regardless, the more jaunts the MCU takes to the left, the less likely I am to continue to donate them my right leaning monies.

If Disney has shown us anything we know they are having a hard time finding that comfortable medium between the almost, maybe, might be same sex couple that flashed across the screen on Finding Dory or the blatant, in your face, completely forced "Girl Power" scene in Endgame. They're bound to find it someday. My own personal feelings aside, I understand that social issues are a part of society and it is healthy to be inclusive to all groups, but real inclusivity means that all groups should be treated equally, and not "spotlighted" in any way. Put it in the movie, make it relevant and make it flow with the storyline and move on. But the comments coming from the actor leads one to believe they're gonna try to do some type of trailblazing feat for something that's already been done (and done tastefully) by others. 

2 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

On one hand, that's true.  It absolutely should be a non-event. 

On the other, until 1.5 seconds of Rise of Skywalker, have we ever seen that in a "blockbuster" film from arguably the biggest mainstream franchise of its' day?  From that perspective it might be newsworthy.  It's all over "premium" television and arthouse films, but mainstream productions have still shied away from directly portraying it, and particularly with gay men.

To be clear, gay characters are fairly commonplace even in mainstream productions, but seeing them actually demonstrate their preference in any physical way has been rare.

You see it all the time on TV shows today. I really don't see it as something major anymore.