The Grand Unveiling Of The Union

JayC

Marvel’s newest super team is here! Meet The Union, a team composed of heroes from all over the United Kingdom, in an exciting new series from writer Paul Grist (Judge Dredd, Jack Staff) and artist Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation). Union Jack along with a host of spectacular new heroes have banded together just in time to take on the galactic threat coming in Marvel’s 2020 event, Empyre, but that is only the start of this team’s epic adventures.

“40 years ago, Roger Stern and John Byrne introduced a new Union Jack into the pages of Captain America! This is the comic I've been waiting 40 years to write!” says Grist. “New heroes! New adventures! And a team that’s falling apart before it's even begun!”

Joining Union Jack will be the best heroes the UK has to offer including Snakes from Northern Ireland, Kelpie from Scotland, The Choir from Wales, and their fearless leader, the legendary Britannia! With new heroes comes new designs and hit artist R.B. Silva (Powers of X) was delighted to provide dynamic looks for the whole cast!

“I really like Medieval themes. With Britania and Kelpie, I wanted them to look like medieval warriors and I just simplified and modernized it from there,” Silva explained. “For Snakes, I thought of the visual for the Executioner. Someone the enemy will fear from just a look. And for the Choir, more of a light visual, something that can enable quick movements. On her knife I put 3 dragon's heads. I know on Wales’ flag they have a dragon with only one head but I thought, why not three?”

See Silva’s cover below as well as his eye-popping character designs and prepare to meet these new heroes when THE UNION #1 hits stands this May!

THE UNION #1 (OF 5)
Written by PAUL GRIST
Art by ANDREA DI VITO
Cover by R.B. SILVA

The-Union-1.jpg

• 6 months later...

I would like to see these in Legends form. Prefer to finish out Inhumans, Guardians of the Galaxy first but I can definitely see potential here.

Britannia stands out here, although she's got a kind of Wonder Woman vibe going on.

I really would like to see how they handle The Choir. Even with that cowl/scarf, I can see full head movement because her hair is short enough where it wont impede movement.  I like the low-cut back on the design sheet; the Scarlet Witch from the all father wave had the same thing and I thought it was very cool.

Snakes, on the other hand, is maybe gonna be reduced to horizontal turns only. Wonder if they're gonna give him a face or just the hood with red eyes.

Looks pretty cool. I admit I know nothing of any of these characters except Union Jack but the rest give off mystical vibes. Does UJ fit with this group or is this only because he fits the UK criteria?

i know UJ has fought vampires but as recently as his last limited series he was sort of a street level hero of the people. 

May grab the trade, always support Union Jack, fun character

49 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Looks pretty cool. I admit I know nothing of any of these characters except Union Jack but the rest give off mystical vibes. Does UJ fit with this group or is this only because he fits the UK criteria?

i know UJ has fought vampires but as recently as his last limited series he was sort of a street level hero of the people. 

May grab the trade, always support Union Jack, fun character

Well barring Union Jack they are all new characters.

Also Union Jack does/did have magical powers.  He was a member of the Knights of Pendragon.

• 3 months later...