Marvel Legends 6" Avengers Game Captain America Gamerverse Figure Revealed

JayC

Today during Hasbro's annual Toy Fair Investor Conference they teased another 6" Gamerverse Marvel Legends figure based on the upcoming Square Enix Avengers video game for PS4 and Xbox. The figure shown was Captain America. This is likely going to be part of the upcoming Avengers wave that will also include figures of Iron Man and Kamala (Ms. Marvel) from the game, as well as Mach-1, Rage, Leader and Captain Mar-vell. The Iron Man figure was confirmed by Hasbro late last year. We will likely see all these on display tomorrow during Toy Fair.

Hasbro while not revealing anything specific during the conference suggested that we would also be seeing product for the upcoming Disney+ Marvel shows as well as movies. Official Toy Fair coverage kicks off tomorrow, with Hasbro coverage beginning around 1:30PM.

Hasbro-Marvel-03.jpg

Hasbro-Marvel-02.jpg

Hasbro-Marvel-01.jpg

about what i expected. no high or low reaction. Can't say i like it, it looks like he is fighting weight issues and is using his costume as a girdle... 

I get it, Gamerverse fills out all these video game companies original designs into plastic form, they did it with Spidey, they will continue with Avengers and that is fine for something different since we have so many Spidey, Caps, Iron Man, Hulk etc.. from the comments here and on the thread about Outback Hulk, these designs are mostly misses.

I'll keep saying it: if this Avengers game doesn't give us the option for both true classic and MCU skins as 2 of the 24 skins slots it will be a HUGE missed opportunity 

Man, I am not a fan of that Captain America design.  He looks dark and thuggish to me, like some militarized sheriff's deputy in Smallville County, U.S.A. itching to play with his new MRAP that the chief bought for the force, and then pepper-spray some college students in the face before going home to tear through a case of Coors light and smack his wife around for removing his favorite pair of wraparound shades out of the center console of his Ford F-350 Super Duty without asking.

...which is to say un-Cap-like.

Not my bag, but game tie-in figures is the next evolution for ML. As long as they follow a path similar to what they've been doing by including comic figures in with these waves it should be just fine. I'm hoping there's at least a decent BAF with this wave, tho. Otherwise it's cherry picking season for me. The Gamerverse Spidey(s) are already littering the isles of all my local stores.

Iron man looks OK but i really don't need another one.  Not digging the Cap design at all.  Seems like there's no BAF, if that's the case just makes these a tougher sell. I know its early yet but the video game spidey's seem to sell slower than the rest of the wave (altho of course they are double-packed as well), which doesn't exactly bode well for this wave.  But maybe some of the other characters will be more appealing.

2 minutes ago, tarot said:

@bashpics99 Cap is 2 per case so he might not come with a piece, as per usual.

ah, that would make more sense.  with the outback hulk seems like some sort of hulk BAF is probable as that would help boost sales and cut down on cherry picking.  But that does suggest that this Cap figure will be clogging up pegs, haven't really seen any positive responses to it other than people eyeing it for potential customs

My wallet wont be involved in this line, so that's good. I do like the Iron Man but if I miss it, no big loss. Be nice if they'd drop this blue colour for the repulsor effect; translucent yellow yellow/white would be better.  That Cap figure is sadly beyond hope. Tossing in a few lines that are red-ish on this uniform doesn't improve it. And that whole flak jacket/tactical vest just makes him look pudgy. I get it, in the real world its probably what he would wear, but it just doesn't translate as Captain America for me.

13 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Man, I am not a fan of that Captain America design.  He looks dark and thuggish to me, like some militarized sheriff's deputy in Smallville County, U.S.A. itching to play with his new MRAP that the chief bought for the force, and then pepper-spray some college students in the face before going home to tear through a case of Coors light and smack his wife around for removing his favorite pair of wraparound shades out of the center console of his Ford F-350 Super Duty without asking.

...which is to say un-Cap-like.

Hey, now. As someone who works closely with law enforcement on the Oklahoma/Arkansas border, I have to say... that is hauntingly accurate. 

I'm still digging the design, though. Swap on a masked head and some black spray-paint, and you've got yourself some diorama filler. 

So are we contending that this whole wave is gamerverse designs?  Because Mar-vell, Leader, Rage, and Mach I all seem like classic comic versions to me.  I think there are only 3 Gamerverse figs in the wave (plus the BAF) so its pretty much the same balance we see in mcu waves.  Am i incorrect about this?

Seems like this wave checks off a number of boxes:

• last year lots of folks complained there was no Mar-vell figure when the CM movie came out. now there is one!
  • Mach-I gives us another Thunderbolt, for those who have been clamoring to build up their T-bolt roster
  • Same with Rage, for those building New warriors
  • Leader is probably one of Hulk's top rogues, long overdue for a remake.  It would've been nice to throw in an alternate mcfarlane era head but that's OK.
  • People have been complaining forever that the last Abomination BAF was too short. well, here's another version that presumably is taller.

It does seem weird that a wave with no Hulk figure has debatably the top two Hulk villains.

As far as the gamerverse figs, i think Iron Man will sell OK.  Ms Marvel just seems too similar to the previous version, i can't see anyone who already bought the previous version wanting to buy this one so she seems like an odd choice.  Cap's look has had, lets say, a mixed reception.  I think double packing him over Iron Man is a mistake, but we'll see.  

A lot of it comes down to how popular the BAF is.  Will be interested to see how he looks assembled.  But as someone who's pretty happy with the previous Abom BAF, I'll be cherry picking from this wave, with Leader and Mar-vell going on my must-have list.

8 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

So are we contending that this whole wave is gamerverse designs?  Because Mar-vell, Leader, Rage, and Mach I all seem like classic comic versions to me.  I think there are only 3 Gamerverse figs in the wave (plus the BAF) so its pretty much the same balance we see in mcu waves.  Am i incorrect about this?

The wave is mixed. The only figure that are gamerverse are cap, iron man, abomination and (kinda) Ms Marvel. The rest are strictly comic.

Not given out to you (not aimed at anyone) but how are people failing to understand that the Gamerverse wave is basically the exact same as a Standard MCU wave? Mix of Game and comic. I mean we have been at this for nearly 10 years now people. with the exception of the M'Baku and Bro-Thor wave, it has always been a mix line brand.

17 minutes ago, tarot said:

Not given out to you (not aimed at anyone) but how are people failing to understand that the Gamerverse wave is basically the exact same as a Standard MCU wave? Mix of Game and comic. I mean we have been at this for nearly 10 years now people. with the exception of the M'Baku and Bro-Thor wave, it has always been a mix line brand.

Well, that doesn't come off as elitist or anything. 🙄

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:45 AM, tarot said:

I have to agree, I'm not seeing what the confusion/anger is about. Mixed wave as standard, and as always, if you don't like a figure in the wave, don't buy it. If you need the whole wave for the BAF and you really want the BAF, then make your decision.

tbf most of the confusion comments were from back in February.  And i agree about the cherry picking approach, but when you have a popular BAF (and it seems like gamerverse Abom is quite popular) you are going to get people complaining about wave character selection, since now they have to decide what to do about figures they don't really want but need the BAF part for.  Personally, i think people can reasonably debate about the the designs for Cap and Iron man but asking people to shell out for another Ms Marvel that's virtually identical to the previous version is bound to get people annoyed. But the wave gave me long-awaited classic Mar-vell and Leader figures, so i'm not complaining.