What Might We See From The Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel Project?

JayC

Hasbro announced at the New York Toy Fair last month, they would be launching a Marvel Legends based Haslab crowdfunding project sometime before San Diego Comic Con this year.

Haslab-Sentinel%202__scaled_600.jpg

While not officially confirming what the figure would be, they all but said it would be some type of X-Men Sentinel.

Haslab-Sentinel%203__scaled_600.jpg

For those not familiar, Sentinels are rather large mutant hunting robots that have been featured throughout the years in Marvel’s X-Men comic titles, movies, video games and cartoons. There have been many different versions of the Sentinel done throughout the years featuring different looks and designs. A typical Sentinel is said to stand about three stories tall.

Haslab-Sentinel%208__scaled_600.jpg

For those not familiar with Haslab, it’s their in-house version of Kickstarter. They launched the program two years ago, and started off by doing a crowd-funded Star Wars 3.75” scale Jabba’s Sail Barge which was 49.35” long. Last year they continued the program with a huge Cookie Monster stuffed animal and a large 27” tall Transformers Unicorn from the original Transformers animated movie.

Haslab-Sentinel%2010__scaled_600.jpg

The Sail Barge required 5000 backers paying $499.99 each, and Unicron required 8,000 backers paying $574.99 each. The Cookie Monster failed to reach its funding goal and did not move forward, but the other two projects were seemingly successful and moved on to the production stage. The Sail Barge shipped out to people last year, and Unicorn should arrive at people’s front doors early next year.

Haslab-Sentinel-11__scaled_600.jpg

While Hasbro has yet to give any specifics for how this year’s Haslab project will work, they did make indications recently that some changes were being made to how they were going to do it this time. In a video conference call with members of the toy media this week, they suggested that they would be including some type of add-on incentive option(s).

For a typical Kickstarter project, it’s not uncommon to offer different tiers at different price levels for being able to back a project. Basically the more you pay the more stuff you get.

What exactly Hasbro plans to do in regards to this remains unknown. My personal theory is that they may opt to include an additional figure as an add-on to the Sentinel. We know they are doing a Nimrod figure this year. They have confirmed that Nimrod will NOT be a Build-A-Figure, but would not confirm it was a simple deluxe figure, or say how it was being released. Nimrod himself while more human sized, is a type of Sentinel. So it seems like there would be a logical connection releasing him with the Sentinel. Keep in mind, this is only my own personal theory. Hasbro at this time has yet to give any indication that Nimrod would see release through Haslab. So don’t panic just yet if your not liking that idea.

Haslab-Sentinel%204__scaled_600.jpg

As for the Sentinel itself, there are plenty of unknowns that we all patiently await answers too. The biggest three questions on my mind are, which Sentinel design will the figure be based on, how tall will it be and what will it cost?

Haslab-Sentinel%207__scaled_600.jpg

For the design I hope it’s based on Master Mold himself. He is essentially the leader of the Sentinels and in the comics even ends up merging with Nimrod at one point. Like with other Sentinels, his appearance has changed over the years but generally he tends to be bigger than regular Sentinel and has a unique looking head. They could even make the head detachable, similar to what Toy Biz did back in the day for their 5" line.

Haslab-Sentinel%201__scaled_600.jpg

He is sometime featured in a Sentinel creating like throne chair which could be another add on for the figure Hasbro could offer. See the one Wizkids did here.

Haslab-Sentinel__scaled_600.jpg

For the size, I think it should stand around 36” tall or 3’. This would make the figure scale well with both 6” Marvel Legends as well as the previous 12” Sentinel figures Hasbro and Toy Biz has done for the line.

Haslab-Sentinel%206__scaled_600.jpg

Iron Studios has done some Sentinel statues recently that are around 33” tall that I think look pretty good size wise.

Haslab-Sentinel%205__scaled_600.jpg

As for cost. That’s a tough one. I personally would not want to see it cost much more than $300, and then I would hope it would have some nice features like tentacles that can extend from the arms and electronic features like lights and sounds. I honestly don’t know if that is a realistic price from a manufacturing standpoint, but if it was more than that it would defiantly be harder for my wallet to justify the purchase.

What are your thoughts. What do you want to see from Hasbro for a Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel?

17 minutes ago, JayC said:

For the design I hope it’s based on Master Mold himself. He is essentially the leader of the Sentinels and in the comics even ends up merging with Nimrod at one point. Like with other Sentinels, his appearance has changed over the years but generally he tends to be bigger than regular Sentinel and has a unique looking head.

As for cost. That’s a tough one. I personally would not want to see it cost much more than $300, and then I would hope it would have some nice features like tentacles that can extend from the arms and electronic features like lights and sounds. I honestly don’t know if that is a realistic price from a manufacturing standpoint, but if it was more than that it would defiantly be harder for my wallet to justify the purchase.

I am with you on this. Master Mold at a $300 price point. If there are any really cool add-ons, I may dish out a little more, but not much.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING

As amazing having a Master Mold in my collection sounds. I can't wrap my head around has lab making a toy they would certainly sell one of, if that. And they almost certainly could never re-use it. My final arguments for why Master Mold would be a poor choice is the amount of space required for this would be enough to make any collector shy away from it, it won't fit in displays, on shelves and have fun making joints strong enough to hold a pose.

Personally I'd rather see new foot Sentinels that have a full redesign and are not just repainted. And since it will be going through Hasbro Pulse I really, really hope they don't make you buy another figure of wolverine or something dumb like that. 

The only thing I feel is more likely than not at this point is that the project will have an X-Men: The Animated Series bent to it.  Design elements from the show were pretty prominent in 2019's X-Men figure releases between Jean Grey's ponytail hairstyle and Professor X's suit & tie.  That's not to mention the way they chose to directly reference the pilot episode with their first tease.

An X-Men: TAS Master Mold could certainly be a cool thing, but frankly, I think he always looked better in the comics - either with his big Kirby helmet in his earliest appearances, as a big Simonson spider-head, or wherever else.  I love the animated series but, in my opinion, that would not be the place to draw your inspiration for such a project.

The Sentinels from the animated series are another story.  I think the show did an outstanding job of incorporating all of the necessary visual elements from the most iconic Sentinel designs and coming up with a strong synthesis.  X-Men: TAS is probably the reason I prefer the circular chest appliance to the (I think) more often used triangular one.

So what I'm really hoping for (Santa, Jesus, whoever's listening) is a pod of three sentinels based on the animated series' designs at a maximum height of 24".  With some electronic lights and sounds or other wow-factor features, I don't think a $300 - $400 price point would be too much for me.

I’m not sure on what they plan to do, but I am pretty excited to see what we may get! They’ve impressed me with Unicron, but I just couldn’t spend $600 for him. So I do hope that this Legends project is at a reasonable price I think $300-$350 would be a good spot. 

I like the idea of mastermold, but I think I’d just rather have a regular Sentinel in the correct size that works with our 6 inch legends, that has all the bells and whistles we would want. 

As for extras, maybe include a giant master mold head like you suggested. I’d hate though for an exclusive figure to be included in only this set like Nimrod! Don’t use that idea Hasbro! And if you’re already planning it stop! Lol just give us something great.

A 20' regular DOFP Byrne Sentinel is the way to go with this project imo. As long as it comes with alternate open/closed hands, weapons FX & snare cables, I will dish out $100-$150 for a triad of them. Anything bigger than 2 ft & $200-$300 & I'm outta the game as much as I am dying for new classic Sentinels to be made. A 3 ft tall Mastermold is a 1 off & would be way outta most of our price range imo as well as take way too much space in people's display areas.732472365_Sentinelsdays-of-future-past.thumb.png.5c376c6a8d7750250f37380609907858.png These at 20' scale or nothing for me.

Master Mold at around 36" makes a lot of sense.... but I think you're severely underestimating the price point. No way it's that low ($300). I do think that it needs to be Master Mold to be worthwhile. We've already got a few different version of regular size Sentinels that work well with Legends. I wouldn't be interested in paying a premium price for just a bigger regular Sentinel. Unfortunately I absolutely expect that the Nimrod shown is indeed going to be a sweetener to get people to pony up for the HasLab creation if it reaches a certain funding level. Then they'll probably release a more standard release of him repainted a couple years down the line like they tend to do with SDCC exclusives. Can't wait to find out!

Personally, I don't think Nimrod is part of the Sentinel HasLab. After all, Nimrod is shown to be nearly finished, a HasLab reveal would be a prototype at best. Also revealing the bonus before the main reveal also isn't how HasLab has worked before.

As for what it will be, it should be Master Mold, complete with opening chest to build sentinels (a small sentinel figure to scale, with even 5pts of articulation). Also HasbLab makes no sense for an army builder, given the limited numbers that will be made.

Still we will know in rough a month

16 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

As amazing having a Master Mold in my collection sounds. I can't wrap my head around has lab making a toy they would certainly sell one of, if that. And they almost certainly could never re-use it. My final arguments for why Master Mold would be a poor choice is the amount of space required for this would be enough to make any collector shy away from it, it won't fit in displays, on shelves and have fun making joints strong enough to hold a pose.

This is all basically the write-up for why Haslab exists. Haslab products aren't  meant to sell to average collectors. The sail barge was over four-feet long, and Unicron is over two-feet tall, transforming into an almost three-foot diameter planet. Haslab is a vehicle for making spectacles that serve as the centerpiece to elite collections. They're not made to be affordable or have wide appeal. They're made to be awesome, and they're priced to facilitate the small-scale production necessary for something so awesome, but ultimately cumbersome. The argument you're making is that Master Mold literally ticks all the qualification boxes for a Haslab project. Regular sentinels at digestible army-building price-points can, and have been, done at regular retail.

That's not to say that I think Master Mold is on the way, but I think people hoping for $100ish sentinels should probably brace themselves for disappointment. This will likely be an awesome, cumbersome, expensive sentinel.

What might we see? Hmm . . .

Assuming this thing finances (sometimes even toy collectors come to their senses), I expect we might see something . . . 

. . . ridiculously over-priced, and virtually impossible to acquire if you don't happen to live within the relatively tiny geographic area to which HasLab will ship

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
1 hour ago, Benn said:

This is all basically the write-up for why Haslab exists. Haslab products aren't  meant to sell to average collectors. The sail barge was over four-feet long, and Unicron is over two-feet tall, transforming into an almost three-foot diameter planet. Haslab is a vehicle for making spectacles that serve as the centerpiece to elite collections. They're not made to be affordable or have wide appeal. They're made to be awesome, and they're priced to facilitate the small-scale production necessary for something so awesome, but ultimately cumbersome. The argument you're making is that Master Mold literally ticks all the qualification boxes for a Haslab project. Regular sentinels at digestible army-building price-points can, and have been, done at regular retail.

That's not to say that I think Master Mold is on the way, but I think people hoping for $100ish sentinels should probably brace themselves for disappointment. This will likely be an awesome, cumbersome, expensive sentinel.

I am right with you there. it will definitely be more than that. specially since it will be exclusive to Hasbro pulse. I am excited to see what's coming. 

I preferred to see Galactus. Galactus accompanied with a nice, big, cosmic, Galactusy chair and with Air-walker and the Kirby-esque Alien Punisher Robot as pack-in figures personally. Sigh, one can continue to dream! However, a Byrne style Sentinel with an upgraded aesthetic similar to that Iron Studios statue might about do the trick. We'll see. 

Heck, if we're gonna dream big on Galactus, Throw in Firelord, Nova (Frankie Raye), and Morg.  If we're in super perfect world territory an updated/improved Terrax would be welcome too (at least one that's able to effectively wield his axe).

Honestly if the Sentinel does well, I would not be in the least bit surprised to see a "Definitive" Galactus become a HasLab project, probably sometime after the FF have hit the big screen and raised that team's profile.

If they had the project be $300 that would make it very hard for people to want to army build unless you have fat stacks of cash to blow. If they can get it at a reasonable price, im fine with a size more like the toybiz and hasbro sentinels that are already around. Those sizes are reasonable and keeping them around 100 or so is reasonable. Anything larger, I feel will scare most collectors from funding it.

48 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

If they had the project be $300 that would make it very hard for people to want to army build unless you have fat stacks of cash to blow. If they can get it at a reasonable price, im fine with a size more like the toybiz and hasbro sentinels that are already around. Those sizes are reasonable and keeping them around 100 or so is reasonable. Anything larger, I feel will scare most collectors from funding it.

Smart $$ would be to keep it in the same 16 inch scale as the previous 2 Sentinels & keep the price point in the $125 range so people can army build at minimum a triad of them as they always hunt in 3s. Makes zero sense to make a 2 ft tall or bigger Sentinel & charge $250-$300 for it. Most anyone who loves Sentinels would get is 1 due to the price & the space that a 2 ft Sentinel would take up. I'd be priced out of even getting one at those prices & don't have the space for a 2 ft Sentinel.