Disney Delays New Mutants Release With Black Widow Likely To Follow Over Coronavirus Fears

JayC

Disney today has announced that the 20th Century Fox New Mutant movie is being indefinitely delayed as they look for new release dates. While the MCU Black Widow movie is still on the books for a May 1st release, reports are that Disney is looking at alternative dates for it's release as well. These are just a few in what is a growing list of movies being delayed over growing fears of the Coronavirus.

1 of 5

57 minutes ago, mako said:

People have made a lot of really stupid decisions out of fear of the Corona Virus, but I don't think rescheduling New Mutants has anything to do with it . . . other than providing a convenient excuse.

Disney does not WANT to release this movie, they never have. 

That I don't really disagree with. I was surprised they moved forward with it at all. This is one they really should just take straight to Disney+

1 hour ago, JayC said:

That I don't really disagree with. I was surprised they moved forward with it at all. This is one they really should just take straight to Disney+

So, Disney already said this film is part of the MCU, which they wouldn't have done unless they believed it wouldn't mess up their future X-Men plans...they clearly had faith in this project.  The delay on this film was due to a company merger/acquisition, so I don't really think this is an issue of Disney not wanting to release the film.  Onward is the first film we have seen impacted by coronavirus, hitting nowhere near the numbers they were expecting.  China is the biggest film market, especially for event films.  Why would they open big expensive films during a pandemic and risk not bringing in the most they can?  But I totally agree, this could have been a perfect Disney+ release...maybe even try something new...like an additional fee.

1 hour ago, Benn said:

Where and when did they say this was part of the MCU? That would be a supremely weird choice.

I also thought they would wait to see how it performed before they decided if it was a part of the MCU, but they said it at D23, which clearly shows they have a lot of confidence in the film. It looks fun and it has a few popular actors with happening careers, so it makes sense.  Love your avatar - I just made a custom Magik Marvel Legend that was posted on this site! 🙂

5 hours ago, mako said:

People have made a lot of really stupid decisions out of fear of the Corona Virus, but I don't think rescheduling New Mutants has anything to do with it . . . other than providing a convenient excuse.

Disney does not WANT to release this movie, they never have. 

There is a great deal of truth to this statement. Disney has been so vehemently opposed to this movie that they outsourced the top minds in biohazard warfare over to China to create the Coronavirus. Once developed, it was deployed over there and the rate of contamination would be timed as such to severely defer the release date of The New Mutants movie again. This affords Disney enough time to find another excuse to defer the movie even further. 

I hope that the Black Widow movie isn't delayed, It comes out in may...it's March...May is still over a month and weeks away... This delaying stuff is getting ridiculous... I mean I don't want to get the Corona Virus, but waiting  months or a year for a movie to be released will suck.... Just release the cure already and lets get things  back to normal (if it ever really was). As for New Mutants it's still weeks away from the release date...Things could've changed by then..

3 hours ago, Typhis said:

I hope that the Black Widow movie isn't delayed, It comes out in may...it's March...May is still over a month and weeks away... This delaying stuff is getting ridiculous... I mean I don't want to get the Corona Virus, but waiting  months or a year for a movie to be released will suck.... Just release the cure already and lets get things  back to normal (if it ever really was). As for New Mutants it's still weeks away from the release date...Things could've changed by then..

Your health is way more important to a movie; if you have waited this long another few months isn't going to kill you.

I'm very excited for this movie, and I am not surprised about anything being postponed at this point with the current climate of fear and you know what bless their souls for trying to have the peoples safety in minds, ya I was hoping to see this in April but man we also don't even know what is going to happened in a few days, lock downs and quaurantines are rising hourly, they just cancelled school over here

It's probably this:

https://www.newsarama.com/48571-is-new-mutants-part-of-the-mcu.html

THE NEW MUTANTS Part of the MCU, According to D23

It seems that back when Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said "mutants" were coming to the MCU, he may have been choosing his words carefully - as the official fan club of Marvel parent company Disney has now stated that the one-time Fox production New Mutants is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"There’s a seriously electrifying new addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it comes in the form of the latest from Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment," reads the latest newsletter from D23, the official Disney fan club.

With a company the size of Disney, it's worth asking if their fan club just made an announcement that would reverberate through Hollywood's most successful film franchise, or if the fan club may have simply confused Disney now owning the property with it being officially in the Marvel Cinenatic Universe. Given the film was primarily shot three years ago before the Disney-Fox acquisition was a glint in Bob Iger's eye, there is reason to be skeptical.

I doubt it's part of the MCU.

13 hours ago, leokearon said:

Your health is way more important to a movie; if you have waited this long another few months isn't going to kill you.

Agree on this....nothing new to waiting a few more...every movie / event is following this precautionary measure...hope this coronavirus ends soon...seriously, its hurting a lot the workforce globally. 

Black Widow is far enough out that it would take things really going south for it to be delayed. And if that happens, we'll all have much bigger concerns to occupy our attention. It wasn't just New Mutants, but Antlers and Mulan (!) that have been postponed, so it's all about writing off this month and at least early April as lost business-wise. It's a wait and see strategy. Onward's disappointing opening was the big signal to Disney to hold off for the time being. In other words, don't freak yet.

As for New Mutants, it has apparently been finished for some time...at least, the director's version of it. Word is the reason it was delayed was because 20th Century Fox wasn't happy with the finished product. Certain Fox execs were notorious for meddling with projects (see Fantastic Four and other Fox tentpole flicks over the past decade). It sounds like Disney higher-ups watched the director's finished film and thought it was good enough. I suspect they just want it off their plate...there's a real desire to clear the decks at old 20th Century Fox and move forward with 20th Century Studios. Between Disney, Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Searchlight, they have enough going on without also having to worry over whether or not old Fox projects are "just right."

12 hours ago, Hai_Karate said:

Well...it ain't looking good for Black Widow's May 1st release date. I was just informed that Disney has cancelled plans to have the Black Widow standees installed in theatres next week. I think it's still wait and see mode, but Disney is obviously prepping for a release date postponement. 

It's not going to help with most of the cinemas starting to close

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 5:44 AM, Typhis said:

This movie has Fail stamped all over it and they know they've sunk a lot of money into it already. Now I'm not saying they created this epidemic as a cover to hide this box office failure. Some people say that. You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.