Black Widow Movie Release Delayed

JayC

THR is reporting that Disney has delayed the release of the next MCU movie Black Widow, which was originally coming out on May 1. The delay is due to the Coronavirus fears which has caused most movie theaters in the US to temporarily close and many studios to pull their films from being released. Last week Disney announced that the 20th Century Fox New Mutants movie was also being delayed.

Some studios such as Universal have started releasing their current movies straight to home digital release, so it will be interesting to see if Disney starts to do the same.

Black-Widow-Movie-Poster__scaled_600.jpg

54 minutes ago, JayC said:

Some studios such as Universal have started releasing their current movies straight to home digital release, so it will be interesting to see if Disney starts to do the same.

Not that I'm anxious to see movie theaters go the way of the dinosaurs (I'm very much not), but it's pretty much where we're pointed anyway.  So many folks have a 56" (and bigger), 1080p (and higher) TV screen with surround sound that, considering the inconvenience of the public facilities, it's a nicer experience to watch movies in the home anyway.  I don't often get to a theater these days to see non-Marvel movies, but I was there at least once a week in high school (mid-to-late 90's).  And the last time I was in a theater for a non-Marvel movie, which happened to be last weekend, I had to tell the twelve (twelve!) year-old kid next to me to STAAHHHP acting up because his grandparents couldn't be bothered.  So I guess I'm that guy now.

This would be an interesting experiment: release a huge blockbuster event movie straight to home digital release, bypassing the theaters entirely, and see what happens, financially.

6 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Not that I'm anxious to see movie theaters go the way of the dinosaurs (I'm very much not), but it's pretty much where we're pointed anyway.  So many folks have a 56" (and bigger), 1080p (and higher) TV screen with surround sound that it's a nicer experience to watch movies in the home anyway.  I don't often get to a theater these days to see non-Marvel movies, but I was there at least once a week in high school (mid-to-late 90's).  And the last time I was in a theater for a non-Marvel movie, which happened to be last weekend, I had to tell the twelve (twelve!) year-old kid next to me to STAAHHHP acting up because his grandparents couldn't be bothered.  So I guess I'm that guy now.

This would be an interesting experiment: release a huge blockbuster event movie straight to home digital release, bypassing the theaters entirely, and see what happens, financially.

Personally I would hate it since I don't really want to start paying for loads of different subscription services just to watch certain movies. Also think about all the job losses.

Yeah, everyone should have seen this coming (I bet Disney still regrets releasing Onward). I wrote to Disney with the suggestion of releasing Black Widow and New Mutants on the Disney + for an additional fee... while not ideal (I would much prefer seeing both in theaters), it is a way to get these movies out and still drive revenue. With so many people in self-quarantine, I bet an additional fee would drive revenue close to what they might have seen in theaters... just my two cents!

23 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Personally I would hate it since I don't really want to start paying for loads of different subscription services just to watch certain movies. Also think about all the job losses.

Well, the subscription services model has its own growing pains to go through yet.  Folks just aren't going to pay for six, ten, or twenty services.  I know I'm not.  But in this case, I was thinking more of a rent-or-purchase option available across the major services.  So I could rent Black Widow for around the price of a movie ticket for 24 hours on its scheduled opening day, or pay $10 more and just own the thing digitally.

Frankly, I don't know anything about the financial workings of the movie industry, so I hope I'm not coming off like I think do.  I have no idea how tenable the above scenario is.  It's just that I'm starting to close in on 40 years old now and have noticed that my twenty-something friends do not care about real-life in-person social experiences the way I do.  A lot of them won't order a pizza over the phone if the website isn't working.  They'll just choose a different restaurant.  It's that intimidating to them.  And frankly, I'm getting older and crankier myself.  I've no desire to have to deal with a child ruining a movie for me because his parents are horrible.

I don't see people fighting very hard to keep that old going-to-the-movies experience alive over the next couple of decades.

2 hours ago, Psychosomatic said:

Yeah, everyone should have seen this coming (I bet Disney still regrets releasing Onward). I wrote to Disney with the suggestion of releasing Black Widow and New Mutants on the Disney + for an additional fee... while not ideal (I would much prefer seeing both in theaters), it is a way to get these movies out and still drive revenue. With so many people in self-quarantine, I bet an additional fee would drive revenue close to what they might have seen in theaters... just my two cents!

The additional fee would have to be astronomical to even be at knee level of the box office revenue they'll eventually get when they release the movie in cinemas. Only five countries currently have Disney+ (US, Canada, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand), and it's only reaching Wester Europe this March. Asia won't get it until late 2020 and Latin America the next year. Casual movie-goers would just pass up on the movie if they have to get D+ to watch it. So the movie would only reach people from US, Canada, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand who already have D+ or who feel this movie is incentive enough to get it.

Additionally, any given account can be used in four screens at the same time at any given time. And on top of that, screen-sharing programs and real-life watching parties would enable people to squeeze an account even more. It's also worth taking into consideration that before a movie hits home release, the only way to pirate it is videotaping a screening. Releasing it on HD digital right away would help piracy of a film, giving people less of a reason to pay for it.

4 hours ago, mako said:

Forget COVID-19, the real pandemic killing the nation right now is our own media spawned fear.

This is a reckless, stupid statement. Pennsylvania shut down my business as a preventive measure yesterday, along with all non-essential businesses, until at least March 27th. It will probably put me out of business, but it was the right thing to do. The experts, not the media, have some extremely dire warnings about this virus, and people not taking those warnings seriously will likely lead to a death-toll of 1 to 2 million people (in the US alone) before this is all over. Obviously, panic serves nobody, but downplaying the severity of COVID-19 will cost lives.

Situation is pretty serious, yes, virus won’t kill younger healthy people, but it’s easily spreadable  and if there’s no measure taken it could very well tragically affect 60+ Years old  population and people who have immune system  issues, it’s no joke, and sayin it is the same as flu is outright stupid when it haven’t even been affecting people as long as common flu.  I don’t have any relatives left that are in that risk age, but I would be extremely worried if I did. However, super panic with stockpiling toilet paper and other goods is also extremely harmful and reckless behavior.