This Is The Marvel Legends 6" Crimson Dynamo I Wanted To See From Hasbro

JayC

As you likely know, Hasbro just recently gave us a 6" Marvel Legends version of the Crimson Dynamo which is the Build-A-Figure for the new Black Widow themed wave.

Black-Widow-Wave-26__scaled_600.jpg

Crimson Dynamo is one of those characters that has had a number of different looks over the years. The Hasbro one is based on the Gennady Gavrilov as the eighth Crimson Dynamo as seen in the pages of Marvel Comics. The figure overall seems to do a decent job of capturing the look of that particular version, but honestly I can't say its one of my favorites.

I won't pretend I speak for everyone, but personally I would have much rather seen Hasbro give us the Dmitri Bukharin as the fifth Crimson Dynamo armor. After all that is the version they gave us several years ago for their 3.75" line.

To demonstrate my point of how cool a 6" Marvel Legends figure of the Dimitri armor would look, I present you with a look at this awesome custom figure done by Matchu.

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-01__scaled_600.jpg

He says the figure was made using an Omega Red figure exclusively. He did a ton of sculpting on this guy. Apoxie Sculpt was his goto medium for the project. The majority of the torso was sculpted over. The upper thighs were removed from the torso and detailed with lines, as were the feet. The head was done in multiple layers to ensure he didn’t loose the shape of the face, which is something he says he generally does and then struggles to fix. The only thing not done with Apoxie Sculpt was the tubing around the top of the hip swivel and knees, which were done with Procreate, simply because found it easier to handle and maintain the proper roundness of the piping.

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-05__scaled_600.jpg

To make the shoulder pads, he glued some heavy plastic over the shoulders so he could build up the shoulder pads over the butterfly joints, without loosing the articulation of them. Once the glue dried, he started building up the shoulder pads in layers. When he had a good base built up, he sanded it smooth and level, and applied one final, thin coat of Apoxie Sculpt to them. He then pressed pieces of kebob skewers into the wet apoxie.

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-04__scaled_600.jpg

Once they were all placed, he brushed them liberally with super glue to give them some strength. He then brushed them with liquid green stuff by citadel, which kinda acts like a wood filler. After they dried, he gave them a good sand and repeated. He did this same process for both the gauntlets (which started as paint pots from the dollar store) and the boots (which were made of PVC piping).

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-08__scaled_600.jpg

The paint job for this one was super simple in theory, but it was his first time using the very wonderful Turbo Dork metallic paints, so he did multiple test pieces to figure out exactly what worked best. He used Turbo Dork Redrum as the base of the entire figure. He planned on doing some shading using a metallic orange, a silver, black, etc. He says he probably tried 7 or 8 different combos of colors, but in the end, the Redrum base on its own looked so so good. Because of they he decided to leave the shading alone. Instead, he hit the shoulder pads, gauntlets, boots and helmet with a multiple coats of clear red. The look of this was SO subtle, that he don’t think anyone would noticed it. It definitely does not show up in the pictures, but in hand, to him anyways, he could see it.

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-09__scaled_600.jpg

Check out more images for this custom below and let us know what your favorite version of Dynamo is in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-01.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-02.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-03.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-04.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-05.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-06.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-07.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-08.jpg

Crimson-Dynamo-By-Matchu-09.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, Air-Walker said:

Glorious! I have no interest at all in Hasbro's Neo Anime/ Mecha version. In fact I'm not at all a fan of any attempt to make Marvel armored suits or robots look like Japanime mecha, like the Kree Sentry figure. The looks just don't translate well imo; give me the classics baby!

I like the Build a figure we got, I do wish they would have went the extra mile though and gave us some new sculpt for the legs, but eh whatcha gonna do. 

I would like to have this look as well though. The more Crimson Dynamos the merrier. I still have that old Mark V, I think it is, from ‘09 or ‘10, which could be updated as well (along with Titanium Man), but I’d like to have a little mini Dynamo armory, hint hint Hasbro. 

*In Russian Accent* But I’m sure your desires will be fulfilled soon my friend. 

10 hours ago, slugzilla said:

While that is a very well done custom, I'm really glad we got the BAF Crimson Dynamo that Hasbro gave us. The design of the 5th Crimson Dynamo armor the custom is based on is just awful on so many different levels...  Thank you Hasbro!

You'd be in very small company with that opinion. Vast majority of classic IM fans prefer the 5th CD armor as the best of all his versions. It made for an awesome figure in the 3.75 MU line & would look great in the ML 6' line. The BAF  version is the worst imo & one than none of us CD fans were asking for in fan polls for which version of CD Iron man fans wanted. It'd be great if the rumored Silver Centurion  IM is in an "Armor wars" 3 pack with the CD & Titanium man featured in their classic battle in Siberia.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, ADour said:

That's one solid custom. Not my favorite Crimson Dynamo design, but it's an impressive figure.

Same. While it's his modern armor, it's classic-looking enough to appeal to collectors of classic figures.

Looks a lot bulkier that the classic version, so I wouldn't want it

On 3/28/2020 at 1:58 AM, Gigantor said:

You'd be in very small company with that opinion. Vast majority of classic IM fans prefer the 5th CD armor as the best of all his versions. It made for an awesome figure in the 3.75 MU line & would look great in the ML 6' line. The BAF  version is the worst imo & one than none of us CD fans were asking for in fan polls for which version of CD Iron man fans wanted. It'd be great if the rumored Silver Centurion  IM is in an "Armor wars" 3 pack with the CD & Titanium man featured in their classic battle in Siberia.

Well, I honestly I don't know if my opinion would be in line with the majority of Crimson Dynamo fans or not. The whole situation seems quite subjective and I was merely expressing my personal preference. I am also not aware of any mass scale data that would suggest that the "Mach V" armor is the majorities preferred armor, but then again I could easily be wrong & there may be a large amount of data on the subject.

In a way I almost feel like JayC's original post was a thinly veiled and somewhat irresponsible attempt on JayC's part to scorn Hasbro using his relatively large platform over their decision to make a Crimson Dynamo BAF that wasn't using his personally preferred design. But, then again, I could be wrong because in the original post he stated that he wouldn't "pretend to speak for everyone" at the start of the article.

Perhaps JayC could open a user poll on the subject, as I would be interested to see whether the average Crimson Dynamo fan would've preferred the 5th CD armor over the one Hasbro produced.

Definitely my preferred version of CD. That custom is rad. Also I like what hasbro did but I just cant dig the lack of crimson on their crimson dynamo. Hes not shiny, hes not really even red. He looks like a junker.