Should Hasbro Postpone Their Haslab Marvel Legends Figure Campaign Until 2021?

JayC

On 4/2/2020 at 1:22 AM, Gigantor said:

As for HasLab:  It could very easily be seen as in poor taste to offer a high-priced marquee item during a time of massive unemployment and people worrying about family members' health and livelihoods.  And have a far lower chance of succeeding/meeting it's goals if a lot of the buying audience is dealing with economic difficulties brought on by the Virus.

Yeah, nothing would stop them from previewing it.  Though personally I suspect that if they postpone the campaign they'll postpone the unveiling too.  Just so it doesn't feel like "old news" by the time the campaign goes live.  The longer it's "out there" between unveiling and actually running the campaign, the longer collectors have to talk themselves out of shelling out for it.

I don't have a problem with them publishing WIP pictures of the Sentinel. Heck, it may even help with sales. The anticipation card can really come back and bite you on the butt, but if Hasbro played it right, I'm pretty sure they could drive up the number of collectors looking to pull the trigger . . . especially if they have to postpone.

Now I have no intention of "buying in," and the whole HasLab concept leaves me cold, but as an American very concerned with the economy, I can say it would also be nice to see SOMEBODY is still out there putting in a days work. Might make a nice "Light at the End of the Tunnel" for some us as well.

As far as the economy goes, this is gonna be a hard sell no matter how you look at it; unemployment has skyrocketed and disposable income wont be as available, with all these businesses' being affected. Haslab may have no other choice than postponing a bit.

To answer JC's original question, It just makes more sense to hold off on this project for now. If they wanna put out some conceptual art, fine. But take the time to perfect this thing, see the best way to give it the best quality and bring in the price so that more people can buy it once economy improves.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING

This new world has it's drawbacks but also I have a growing awareness. I like toys but they are a like and want.

They are not a need, Hasbro has given me a lot to play with in recent years and a little break to step back and reflect is really nice. 

The world needs to be fixed before I worry about the next wave. 

7 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

This new world has it's drawbacks but also I have a growing awareness. I like toys but they are a like and want.

They are not a need, Hasbro has given me a lot to play with in recent years and a little break to step back and reflect is really nice. 

Truth spoken here!

4 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Not a new world, just a wake-up call. Still, well said.

Please stay on subject. This thread isnt for discussing your thoughts on the virus itself or how serious or not serious you think it is. The reality is, regardless of your opinions of the virus, it is having a massive effect on the economy which in turn is what prompted the question at hand, which is specific to something we cover here.

I understand there a lot of thoughts, concerns and theories about the virus that effects  many different aspects of our lives, and there plenty of places online for you to discuss those things, but this isn't one of those places. So again please keep it to the question of whether you think the Haslab project should go forward or not and feel free to share your thoughts on why or why not, but leave it at that. Thx.

11 minutes ago, mako said:

Forget HasLab for a minute. Truth be told, I'm a lot more busted up that the annual SDCC exclusives are looking less and less likely. The boxed-sets and what-not are the things I anticipate most each year.

Oh well, maybe they'll still do something cool through Amazon. Loved the Alpha Flight set.

Assuming the SDCC exclusives are far enough along and SDCC is in fact canceled, my guess is Hasbro would just sell them directly on HasbroPulse at some point.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
41 minutes ago, JayC said:

Please stay on subject. This thread isnt for discussing your thoughts on the virus itself or how serious or not serious you think it is. The reality is, regardless of your opinions of the virus, it is having a massive effect on the economy which in turn is what prompted the question at hand, which is specific to something we cover here.

I understand there a lot of thoughts, concerns and theories about the virus that effects  many different aspects of our lives, and there plenty of places online for you to discuss those things, but this isn't one of those places. So again please keep it to the question of whether you think the Haslab project should go forward or not and feel free to share your thoughts on why or why not, but leave it at that. Thx.

Honestly, The fact that whether or not "we get our toys" even matters to people during a time like this is beyond me. But honestly it would be in poor taste for Haslab to move forward with a project of this size or any size. Also the market could become volatile since lots of people are no longer working. Even once things start getting back to a somewhat "normalized" state.  

Stay home,  take a breather, enjoy your family (or close friends) and be happy with what you got. 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:22 AM, Gigantor said:

I don't care if SDCC is cancelled or not. Why would that derail the unveiling of the Haslab Sentinel project?

Hasbro isn't likely going to show it off a year before taking orders for it. The postponement would be because many people have lost their jobs or fear soon losing their jobs, hence will be far less likely to spend money on something like this. Hence the chance significantly decrease of having a successful campaign.

1 hour ago, JayC said:

Assuming the SDCC exclusives are far enough along and SDCC is in fact canceled, my guess is Hasbro would just sell them directly on HasbroPulse at some point.

Or better yet, make them Fan Channel exclusives, so more people have a chance to get them.

4 hours ago, JayC said:

And on that somewhat douche-bag note, I'm out.

Think they definitely should.. it would be the smarter move for Hasbro, especially considering there are fans and costumers, not only in US but all over the world that wouldnt have so much money to invest on such an expensive project.. Particularly, i wouldnt spend so much now with such an uncertain future

11 hours ago, tudortiger2000 said:

During this quarantine period, it'll be best to fund the HasLab initiative.  It's no different than pre-ordering our favorite toy. We just need to keep faith enough will want it, in time, for it to get eventually made! 

Except it would probably cost up to $500 in one go, and given the climate at the moment it is very unlikely to succeed without a very long funding period. It would be better to wait until the whole virus crisis is resolved and everyone knows what their financial situation is before asking people to invest

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like thats probably whats going to happen, if hasbro hasnt commited to it I really think they should postpone this till next year specially with everything thats going on, a lot of collectors would really apreciate the pushback on an item as expensive as this one specially since hasbro's thought was that some people would even plan to buy more than one of these.