Thigh cuts Vs. Hidden sculpted ball joints

SpiderS

I am glad that we are finally starting to transition to peg-less joints, this is big and serious  step for marvel legends line, at least aesthetically speaking. However, there was always one thing that bothered me with newer legends figures: thigh cuts, yes they do provide good possibility but it sacrifices aesthetics, because it just straight ugly cuts on upper thighs, for sure they are better than ball joints from toybiz but there’s  still way to make them better And Hasbro already did that, probably the best example is Juggernaut baf, who features  ball joints but also has additional sculpting to cover up  ball joint , overall result is much more organic looking sculpt that don’t have aggressive cuts, while thigh cuts can still be useful for many figures like Thing or Cable, they are still pretty ugly  for characters who have skin tight costumes or some intricate line work like in case of Spider-girl. There’s also cons with this too, if we take Juggernaut or war machine, they both don’t have really good possibility when it come to moving legs up, which might also requires either better engineering like drop hinges or something else.  What do you think? Could we improve thigh cuts or you are fine with them? 

100397F1-3538-4464-A4CC-61CDEDE8DA20.jpeg

0E1D84CF-E634-4FA1-BD65-2F2E153907CE.jpeg

A596619E-02EA-4074-862B-B92DCE147551.jpeg

I prefer the look of the newer upper thighs to the ball joints.  I have some figures in pretty extreme action poses, and none of them look like that photo of Storm and Cyclops.  The only figure I had an issue with in this regard is Brother Voodoo, who is on the Bucky Cap buck like Cylops and has painted bones on his legs.  But that figure also has so many other problems, I eventually just threw him in a box. I think the Bucky Cap buck might have been made before they figured out how to articulate Legends a little more smoothly. 

Still prefer thigh cuts, because of the increased poseability. I don't find them to be that much of a problem for the aesthetics.  I'd like to see drop down hips used more often, but figures like War Machine and Juggernaut, who would benefit from them now, are already made, so I'm in no rush to see drop down hips implemented, since these and other already made figures would still miss out.  

Thigh cut is the only way to go right now. It's the comfortable medium of providing max articulation while sacrificing as little aesthetics as possible. It just is. You look at a bunch of these import companies trying to do all these innovative things with the articulation to make it look "better" but in my experience the end product always ends up worse. In the case of companies like Tomashi Nations and SHF the joints are often awkward angles with pieces held on with glue or the design leads to some of the material used having to be so thin or brittle in places that the joint becomes prone to breaking. Yep, it seems like nothing works quite as well as the old thigh cut. I agree it does look bad on the skin tight spandex characters but the best thing they can do right now is try to hide it in paint and sculpt detail whenever at all possible. The examples of Juggernaut and War Machine only work because Juggs is so big they could add extra material and WM is so complicated it can be absorbed into the detail. I can't imagine this technique would work with someone like Spider-Man or Jean Grey who both are pretty much naked bodies with paint on them.

Ball joints are a thing of the past and the thigh cuts are the next step towards greater aesthetics. The ball joints ( and the lack of wrist swivels ) ruin “America’s Ass” Cap, that feature is probably the one aspect that shows how stupid it was to re-release that buck nearly 10 years after it was first released. 

My friend I think you may be in the minority that think odd ball joints look better than thigh cuts

On 4/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, SpiderS said:

I am glad that we are finally starting to transition to peg-less joints, this is big and serious  step for marvel legends line, at least aesthetically speaking. However, there was always one thing that bothered me with newer legends figures: thigh cuts, yes they do provide good possibility but it sacrifices aesthetics, because it just straight ugly cuts on upper thighs, for sure they are better than ball joints from toybiz but there’s  still way to make them better And Hasbro already did that, probably the best example is Juggernaut baf, who features  ball joints but also has additional sculpting to cover up  ball joint , overall result is much more organic looking sculpt that don’t have aggressive cuts, while thigh cuts can still be useful for many figures like Thing or Cable, they are still pretty ugly  for characters who have skin tight costumes or some intricate line work like in case of Spider-girl. There’s also cons with this too, if we take Juggernaut or war machine, they both don’t have really good possibility when it come to moving legs up, which might also requires either better engineering like drop hinges or something else.  What do you think? Could we improve thigh cuts or you are fine with them? 

100397F1-3538-4464-A4CC-61CDEDE8DA20.jpeg

0E1D84CF-E634-4FA1-BD65-2F2E153907CE.jpeg

A596619E-02EA-4074-862B-B92DCE147551.jpeg

The last pic with storm, cyclops, jugs, and WM...  the argument for ball joints is moot when the given examples are unnatural poses that no one would likely use ...

On 4/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, McHogan said:

‘Nuff said

39592084-0292-42B6-9345-E6675C8CD7AD.jpeg

But I don’t mean that we must return to these ball joints, I propose smaller balljoints that are covered by thigh sculpts or overlay, something more similar to import figures, but with more practical twist, first toybiz Spider-Man classic line used thigh cuts, they absolutely aren’t  step forward for the most figures, they are most basic type of articulation on marvel legends figures. 

• 3 weeks later...