Helstorm Hulu Series Showrunner Paul Zbyszewski Terminated By Marvel

JayC

According to THR, Marvel has terminated overall deals with TV showrunners Steve Lightfoot (The Punisher) and Paul Zbyszewski (Helstrom). This reportedly comes in response to the turbulent economic times facing the overall entertainment industry due to the recent shutdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Punisher series which aired for two seasons on Netflix had been canceled over a year ago, but the Hulu live-action drama series Helstrom is still slated for release and was able to finish physical production before the shutdowns happened. Zbyszewski has also worked on Agents of SHIELD which will be debuting it's final season on ABC starting next month. Hellstorm came about under former Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb, but managed to survive cancellation when Kevin Feige took over things. The other purposed Hulu live-action series Ghost Rider did not. Since Feige took over, the push for Marvel TV has been MCU spin-off shows set to air on Disney+.

The pandemic has reeked lots of havoc on the industry including Disney and Marvel studios, which has had to delay production on several of their projects and move around the release dates for many of it's MCU movies.

It's not entirely clear what the final status of Helstorm series will be. The THR article does indicate that Zbyszewski will complete the production on the first season before leaving. With production of the first season being completed, we assume they will still release season 1 at some point. Beyond that though, who knows.

Hellstrom__scaled_600.jpg

Pandemic or not, this is the right move. Now that Marvel has (almost) all their properties under the same roof again they need to consolidate everything back into one fluid cohesive universe. Let's make it where Helstrom can show up alongside or against doctor strange. Let's see Punisher cross path's with Wolverine. Let's see Thing tee-off against Hulk, and please, please, let's see the Runaways burst into flames while falling into a crate of dynamite that's plummeting into the bottom of the ocean that gets eaten by a giant Megaladon shark that gets crushed by a giant mountain sized falling underwater boulder to never be seen again.

Yeah. The ideal situation would be for every single live-action piece of Marvel entertainment to be part of one big universe. We're getting there, I just wish Marvel could get ALL of the Spidey-Related live-action rights, so we could see these characters (Like Venom) tied-in to Spidey, as they should be, and interacting with him. Disney just needs to buy Sony as soon as they can.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, JayC said:

It is being reported by Variety that Hulu has canceled Hellstorm after one season. Not surprising since it was the last live-action series done under the Marvel Television unit that was run by Jeph Loeb.

No surprise also the got rid of the Showrunner before the show had aired and never got a replacement

It was a good show. I had a suspicion that they were only going through with this series for a) fulfillment of the multi-series commitment they made with HULU and b) to use as a kind of test market to see how it would be received with the fans. For that reason I didn't allow myself to get attached. It is Marvel's intention to get all their properties under one roof. These characters will either show up in a show on Disney+ or more likely a movie expanding on Marvel's Mystic world. Why would they want these characters segregated from the rest of the MCU?

I didn't think the show was awful; it had some good actors but the writing never seemed to have a consistent plot. Needless to say it had nothing to do with the comics (maybe that's for the best- spared us seeing Satana battling villains such as below) but it had nothing to do with the MCU either ( I think there was a half-ass reference to Roxxon somewhere in there), nor did it have much of a horror feel for a supposed "horror" show. So it left me with a "what's the point" feeling.  Satana is now Ana, who works at an auction gallery when she's not out doing the vigilante antihero thing. Daimon is an ethics professor who exorcises on the side. They both have telekinetic powers which are as strong or as weak as the plot needs them to be at any given time. Their mother's part is greatly expanded here compared to the comics, and the actress Elizabeth Marvel did a great job with her role. Still....

Certainly this wasn't as unwatchably awful as Iron Fist or Inhumans was. But overall I'm not sure just why anyone wanted to do this project, or do it this way. I think it did have some elements that could have been done very well, if some more coherent thought was put into it.

satana.jpg