New Marvel Legends Fan-Channel Retro Spider-Man Kingpin Figure Image

JayC

Shown below is a look at the Marvel Legends Fan-Channel Retro Spider-Man Kingpin figure from Hasbro. The figure is a reissue of the previous Kingpin Build-A-Figure with a new paint deco. This version has purple pants, cane and an alternate beat up headsculpt. It also comes on the new retro cardback that pays tribute to the Spider-Man animated series 5" line from Toy Biz. You can pre-order this from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

Kingpin-01.jpg

Kingpin-02.jpg

I was lucky enough to get all of the Kingpin BAF pieces at non-inflated prices and I'm glad I did.  These re-releases are nice and everything but they never look as good as the original. 

I also feel like it undermines the incentive to complete the BAFs altogether.  With Monster Venom and now Kingpin, I'm sure we can expect to see the same thing happen with other BAFs.  Will I be completing others going forward?  Not if they keep this up.

6 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

I also feel like it undermines the incentive to complete the BAFs altogether.  With Monster Venom and now Kingpin, I'm sure we can expect to see the same thing happen with other BAFs. 

I mean, it's nice for people who can't complete a BAF when they are released. The cool thing here is that they're not straight re-releases, they have different paint apps or slight modifications. And if you prefer the BAF colors over the re-release ones, then you can just skip this one. As you said, these not always looks as good as the originals. For example, I love the colors of the Monster Venom BAF, but I wasn't able to get all of the pieces and now he's kinda hard to get. But at least I had the chance to get the new one. 

42 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

I was lucky enough to get all of the Kingpin BAF pieces at non-inflated prices and I'm glad I did.  These re-releases are nice and everything but they never look as good as the original. 

I also feel like it undermines the incentive to complete the BAFs altogether.  With Monster Venom and now Kingpin, I'm sure we can expect to see the same thing happen with other BAFs.  Will I be completing others going forward?  Not if they keep this up.

I think your first sentence explains why these are so important. People who don't even care about these figures are buying them so they can sell them to collector for stupid prices. The incentive to the BAFs is that you are pretty much getting that figure for free. These releases are great for people who aren't able to get an entire wave but still like bigger characters.

YES!!!! Awesome!! Give me classics all day man! Now I don't have to worry about getting the BAF pieces! (I only really wanted two figures from the wave anyway). Nice! This is going to look so awesome in my Spiderman display!!! I hope we see other BAFs re-released as whole figures with paint/ parts upgrades, like Rhino and Sandman! Either way, I'm really glad that Hasbro is seeing the Win-win of re-releasing BAFs, which as noted here already, can quickly become really difficult to find.

wow I'm surprised at actually how good this looks, I never really cared for the BAF (I actually got rid of my pieces) , but this is really cool looking in these classics colors, I don't know if I will be getting it.. but really happy to see this though, helping all those people get the BAF they couldn't build, but now if you did build the BAF you have a Shadow King and a Kingpin

4 hours ago, leokearon said:

Just for fun. The original 90's toy in packaging for comparison

spacer.png

Funny how my mind thought that figure had purple pants. Must be either comics or cartoons that has this classic purple pants look

Love this figure with the new colors. My dilemma ( first world problems, I know) is that I don’t feel I need two Kingpins. They got me already with the new Venom re-release.. have to make a choice on this one as well.

But which to keep? the BAF that I collected almost an entire wave of unwanted figures to get or this new version with classic colors

i don’t care about Shadow King, but this guy is so large and heavy  it isn’t feasible to keep both... decision, decisions..

i keep saying it but what a time we live in as Legends collectors.. not to long ago we had to live with whatever BAF version Hasbro gave us because that was all we got.  Now, months after the initial release we get a new version. Good times. 

Well damn, they did what I speculated back in Feb:

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 10:05 AM, Atlantis said:

Yes brother! Loved the BAF but hated most of those other figures and just would not justify wasting $ on them. Wonder if he'll be wearing the cravat he always had in earlier days?

Kingpin_cover1-655x1024.jpg

So yep, question answered. Cravat it is.

kp.jpg