Should Hasbro Do Away With Build-A-Figures In Favor Of Deluxe Figures?

JayC

I actually really like that they re-release figures as well as BAFs later down the line. Its nice because they are different enough to make the original buyer of the baf feel ok and similar enough for the person that missed out to be happy. Ive bought a few re-released bafs that i otherwise wouldnt have if i had to buy all the figures from the wave they were in. Its a smart business move to be able to reuse molds without feeling cheated. Sometimes they even improve upon what was already there such as the Thanos they did a bit ago. 

2 hours ago, tarot said:

sorry but overwatch is the one line you shouldn't compare to ML. It's not doing too good in sales.

Not really how I meant it. If Overwatch a not so popular brand got effects and extra hands on pretty much all of their figures. Marvel Legends can do it way better because of the brand name and power of the property. 

I think its fine to re-release some of the BAFS, although I don't think it should be every single one. I think the issue is when they only make slight modifications. You expect us to buy all these figures to complete a BAF it helps you out. Then you want us to pay for them again a few months down the road. Ok ok....its smart business BUT if you want a fan base that believes in your company make significant changes please so I don't feel as ripped off. 

5 hours ago, Joao_A said:

Not really how I meant it. If Overwatch a not so popular brand got effects and extra hands on pretty much all of their figures. Marvel Legends can do it way better because of the brand name and power of the property. 

Just look at the Power Rangers Lightning Collection, no BAF, just effects, heads, weapons and hands

Off topic but anybody think they will re-release the Prof Hulk BAF?  Feels like one that is more movie accurate (in terms of glasses/shirt) would sell well but i'm not sure how well they could pull that off using the current BAF pieces.  Plus that wave has been pretty cheap and plentiful since the holidays.

I never completed him as for whatever reason i just couldn't bring myself to buy Rock Python and Loki, no matter how discounted they were. I still need Union Jack too but at least he's a figure that i find somewhat cool.

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

Off topic but anybody think they will re-release the Prof Hulk BAF?  Feels like one that is more movie accurate (in terms of glasses/shirt) would sell well but i'm not sure how well they could pull that off using the current BAF pieces.  Plus that wave has been pretty cheap and plentiful since the holidays.

I never completed him as for whatever reason i just couldn't bring myself to buy Rock Python and Loki, no matter how discounted they were. I still need Union Jack too but at least he's a figure that i find somewhat cool.

No chance. They have moved on from the endgame figures.

22 minutes ago, tarot said:

They could always revisit. We got Red Skull a couple years ago and he's from 2011. Peggy Carter came last year. Ultron and Ronan 2 years ago. I mean, I'm still holding my fingers crossed for a Quicksilver, unlikely as he may be. There's always a chance IMO.

50 minutes ago, tarot said:

I could definitely see hasbro not revisiting prof hulk, but i still think some sort of final battle trio set with Cap, Iron Man, Thor will come at some point, probably sooner rather than later.  I think armored Thanos BAF gets a re-release at some point too, but of course i could be way off.  I could also instead see them doing a set with just Iron Man and Thanos, or a set with Cap/Thor/Thanos as an alternative to the trio of heroes set.

I'd say, no to stopping with BAFs in favor of deluxe figures taking their place.  The deluxe concept is really nice for figures to get out there with some additional accessories or vehicles, but the BAFs need to be left alone.  The more recent instances like Kingpin, Walmart Thanos, Groot Evolution, and even Venom make sense, because of specific circumstances.

-Kingpin, we all wanted two BAFs one for Kingpin and one for Shadow King.  This fixes that problem without having to a whole second BAF from a lackluster wave, plus this is a classic first appearance Kingpin, which just vibes a bit better with most Spidey and Daredevil set ups.  

-Thanos, the original BAF wasn't that great, the colors weren't very eye catching even for a modern comic look, plus a new head and an infinity gauntlet made the figure into more of a new/upgraded figure anyways.  

-Groot Evolution, again better paint apps, and if you wanted all the figures because "Groot Mania" fine.  Easy pass otherwise.  The re-re-release makes some sense since TRU exclusives weren't always the easiest to find near the end.  

-Venom, I mean it's less accurate to have a Brock version of Venom be quite this massive, but it was a hard to find figure and it's definitely a different host so it works.  Though I still prefer the original Tony Moore inspired BAF this one works fine and it's easy enough to pass if you bought the other one.  

Overall we know they won't drop the price if they drop the BAF, so for that major reason alone I'm not okay with it.  You don't get a large amount of extra accessories per figure in lines like Lightning Collection, which have the same price point as Legends, are made by Hasbro, and don't have a BAF.  On average we get almost as many hands, heads, and effects with a good chunk of the characters, plus sometimes a BAF piece.  Leave the BAF be, but also space the re-releases out more so that people can feel better about the value of their original figure or whatever, and others can have a change down the road without paying insane prices online.  

Black series does not have BAF and same price point with new scuplts for most figure. Wave have many repaints and use of old sculpts. I would like to see BAF's go away. Give characters more heads, hands, or other accessories instead. If they fear not selling certain characters they should bundle them in packs with a popular character. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 7:47 AM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

I think Paladdin has had enough showings in the comics to warrant a figure. I mean the figure itself is better than Spymaster or Blizzard.I

I seriously beg to differ on Paladin being a better figure than Iron man foes  Spymaster & Blizzard. Only thing Paladin  has been good for is to slap on Skrull heads & make generic Skrull grunts out of him cuz he already sports the basic Skrull colors of Black/purple. Already made 4 of em using that recipe. 

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
14 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I seriously beg to differ on Paladin being a better figure than Iron man foes  Spymaster & Blizzard. Only thing Paladin  has been good for is to slap on Skrull heads & make generic Skrull grunts out of him cuz he already sports the basic Skrull colors of Black/purple. Already made 4 of em using that recipe. 

I liked Paladin, would have preferred his earlier costume. But i think that we got an easily modified, character on a buck with new forearms and new lower legs made it a far better figure as far as sculpt goes than blizzard and spymaster which are almost straight repaints. Blizzard being a  straight repaint. 

Time to chime in with my two pennies...I love the BAF concept!! I feel like I'm getting a bonus with my purchase! I also love that if I don't want the BAF I don't need to purchase every figure in a wave( yes Titus I'm looking at you)

That being said...I love the Deluxe figure concepts as well. Archangel was an Awesome Deluxe figure and I hope for more in the future. 

Now do I feel like Hasbro is double dipping? YEP...sure do. KINGPIN for example. I would have waited for the Spidey classic version, Had I known it was coming....I still wanted figures from the BAF wave but not ALL of them. 

So..if you are reading this for a solid answer...I don't have one. 

I want more Deluxe figures in the future like Angel, Griffin and Dragon Man AND I want BAF's like Charlie 27 and Warstar. 

Maybe use the BAF concept could be for more obscure characters and the Deluxe concept for more well known characters? 

I just don't see moms wanting to buy their precious bundles of joy a Deluxe Sugar Man on the Toy aisles.