When Will We See A Modern Marvel Legends Silver Centurion Iron Man Figure From Hasbro?

JayC

Perhaps my favorite look and possibly the most unique looking of the primary suits worn by Tony Stark, is the Silver Centurion Iron Man armor. The darker red and silver colors were a vast departure from the typical gold and red armor normally worn by the character. The suit first appeared back in 1985 in Iron Man #200.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-06__scaled_600.jpg

Besides looking very different from previous armors in both colors and design, the debut of this armor also marked the long return of Tony Stark as Iron Man. 2 years earlier in Iron Man #169, Stark gave up being Iron Man due to his struggles with alcohol and handed the reins over to his best friend James Rhodes. Rhodes was the man behind the helmet for such major events as the first Secret Wars and became one of the founding members of the West Coast Avengers.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-01__scaled_600.jpg

Stark had actually created the Silver Centurion armor for Rhodes, but ended up having to don the suit himself after Rhodes was critically injured at the hands of Obadiah Stane and Stan's Iron Monger armor. Stane and the Iron Monger armor of course later appeared in the first Iron Man movie.

Stark continued wearing the red and silver armor for around 3 years, in both the Iron Man and West Coast Avengers comics. Eventually the suit was badly damaged in issue #230 at the hands of another armored character known as Firepower. This was during the classic "The Armor Wars" storyline where Stark also took on former ally Steve Rogers, who at the time wore the USAgent costume and was going by the name of The Captain. The shield Rogers used during that time was actually created by Stark and only contained Vibranium.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-02__scaled_600.jpg

After the events of "The Armor Wars" and his battle with Firepower in issue #230, Stark faked Iron Man's death and created a new armor and persona for the armored Avenger. At the time Stark's identity as Iron Man was a secret. The new armor while pretty cool in design returned to the traditional gold and red colors.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-05__scaled_600.jpg

Over the years we have gotten a few action figures based on the comic book version of the Silver Centurion armor. Toy Biz gave us a very cool 6" Marvel Legends version, which featured a removable faceplate and a giant rocket space pack that also acted as a display stand.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-03__scaled_600.jpg

While Hasbro has yet to give us a 6" version, they did give us a 3.75" version in their Iron Man 2 line, and then again in their Marvel Universe line as part of their comic 2-pack assortment. We have also seen variations of the Silver Centurion from the movies and Armored Adventures done as figures, but those weren't comic book accurate.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-04__scaled_600.jpg

So when will Hasbro give us a modern 6" Marvel Legends figure based on the Silver Centurion armor from the comics? Well if rumors and computer listings are to be believed, the answer should be sometime later this year, likely released as a Walgreens exclusive.

Whether this will be a retooled figure based on one of the more recent Iron Man figures Hasbro has released, or a completely new sculpt remains to be seen, but I have high hopes it will look good either way.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-07__scaled_600.jpg

The Walgreens's exclusive Iron Man 2020 figure is hitting shelves now, and we know Hasbro also has a new War Machine figure slated for release later this year as a deluxe figure. My guess is, we will see the Silver Centurion announced around July with a later in the year release date.

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-08__scaled_600.jpg

Until then check out this cool custom 6" Silver Centurion Iron Man figure done by Lokoboys.

silver_centurion_ironman_pt_by_lokoboys-01__scaled_600.jpg

silver_centurion_ironman_pt_by_lokoboys-02__scaled_600.jpg

Let us know in the COMMENTS SECTION, will a Silver Centurion Iron Man Marvel Legends figure be a must buy purchase for you?

silver_centurion_ironman_pt_by_lokoboys-01.jpg

silver_centurion_ironman_pt_by_lokoboys-02.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-01.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-02.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-03.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-04.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-05.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-06.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-07.jpg

Silver-Centurion-Iron-Man-08.jpg

I have a similar fondness for this armor. While Daredevil was the hero that brought me into comics altogether, the Silver Centurion was my jump on point for Iron Man in particular. I actually had no previous exposure to Iron Man and even had no idea the silver and red was not his original color scheme, so him reverting back to that iconic red and gold during the Armor Wars was a serious bummer and shock. I was similarly disappointed on the portrayal of the armor in the movies as well, but it was at least some kind of nod to it and I really did enjoy what they did to incorporate it with briefcase (kinda). Either way, it's unfathomable that this suit has not been done yet, especially considering it was part of what many consider the renaissance of comic industry. I understand that up to this point IM has been tied up under the MCU banner where all those movie figures had to take precedence over the comic figures, but right now, while the character still has mass recognition but is no longer in the movies (until he makes his grand comeback) and while there is a little leeway to squeeze some comic accurate stuff in there without pissing the stuffed suits off too bad, is the time to get this guy in, among others. I'd also love to see a Stealth Armor, a redo of the Bleeding Edge Armor and the Extremis Armor, and all those baddies like Titanium Man, Guardsman, Melter, Controller and a different (i.e. better) Crimson Dynamo. I understand a dedicated Iron Man Wave(s) would incur a lot of costs because there would be so much need for new sculpts but I think it is a sure fire moneymaker well worth the risk, or non-risk IMO.

Not my thing. I don't plan on ever buying another Iron Man figure, but I hope that the people that want it do end up getting it, just not as part of something I'd have to get for a BAF part for or 2-pack with something I actually want.

This is a no-brainer....of course I'd buy the Silver Centurion. Its one of the most requested models in the armory, and a lot of people like it because its so distinctive from the classic Red & Gold. The backpack, Also, the shape of the helmet is quite different.  The toybiz version is very cool, and the 4" figures are great too, very comic book accurate. The one thing I don't like is the "Superman" unibeam- never understood why they couldn't just keep the circle.

I do hope they put this out before the end of the year, and that they use glossy metallic paint on it (METALLIC RED... not maroon, not brick, or any other bullsh1t shade like that). Use the silver like we saw on Silver Surfer, please. Not gray, not white!! ) . Non helmeted Stark head, and some translucent repulsor/boot jet effects. Something like the repulsor effect from the 4" would be great too.

Hopefully this year...but if not, included in an Iron Man wave for next year along with Mk42, Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man BAF....take my money.

sc im2.jpg

mk42.jpg

6 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

This is a no-brainer....of course I'd buy the Silver Centurion. Its one of the most requested models in the armory, and a lot of people like it because its so distinctive from the classic Red & Gold. The backpack, Also, the shape of the helmet is quite different.  The toybiz version is very cool, and the 4" figures are great too, very comic book accurate. The one thing I don't like is the "superman" unibeam- never understood why they couldn't just keep the circle.

I do hope they put this out before the end of the year, and that they use glossy metallic paint on it (METALLIC RED... not maroon, not brick, or any other bullsh1t shade like that). Use the silver like we saw on Silver Surfer, please. Not white!! ) . Non helmeted Stark head, and some translucent repulsor/boot jet effects.

I like the Superman unibeam, it fits in with the rest of the armour's angular designs

10 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I do hope...they use glossy metallic paint on it (METALLIC RED... not maroon, not brick, or any other bullsh1t shade like that). Use the silver like we saw on Silver Surfer, please. Not white!! ) . Non helmeted Stark head, and some translucent repulsor/boot jet effects.

Yes.

Silver Centurion and Neo-Classic Iron Man are the two figures I want the most that would reuse the 80 Years mold. Both are in need of an update, but Silver Centurion needs it the most, since Neo-Classic at least got its two figures during the Hasbro days, even if the scale and articulation was already outdated by the time they came out.

With Iron Man 2020 and War Machine already coming out, I wouldn't hold my breath for Silver Centurion coming out this year. However, I'm hopeful for next year, since any Iron Man figure that would reuse the 80 Years mold is a low-hanging fruit.

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Hopefully this year...but if not, included in an Iron Man wave for next year along with Mk42, Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man BAF....take my money.

sc im2.jpg

mk42.jpg

Oh, man. I'm dying for a properly accurate Model 42 Armor. Hasbro already has the 3D render, they just need to adapt it to Marvel Legends scale and articulation. And while I don't like the perpetuation of this armor using an MCU-styled helmet, I can't deny it's become an acceptable interpretation of this armor, so it'd be fun, it'd be fun if they released it with interchangeable headsculpts. One of the proper design and another of the MCU-stlyed helmet.

I may be the black sheep here: I prefer that new characters are released. I don't like all those reissues (unless it's a major upgrade, like the one we had in the female figures - ex: Scarlet Witch). I love my ToyBiz Silver Centurion and will save some bucks if it's re-released.

3 hours ago, Genjoke01 said:

I may be the black sheep here: I prefer that new characters are released. I don't like all those reissues (unless it's a major upgrade, like the one we had in the female figures - ex: Scarlet Witch). I love my ToyBiz Silver Centurion and will save some bucks if it's re-released.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't want to have to buy any more versions of any character that has already been made. My preference is to buy only previously unmade characters - but find myself having to buy re-treads far too often due to 2-packs or get a BAF I really want. That and only that is one reason I'd be fine with the BAF concept going by the wayside. I still want those larger figures, but I think that I'd rather just buy them outright rather than have to buy 3 regular sized figures that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. I also however am well aware that they have to make those A-listers to sell at retail and keep the line going.

I was thinking we were suppose to see this figure come out this year perhaps, either way not to concerned about it, since I don't care, I don't think I need another Iron Man for a long time, 80th Anniversary fig was enough for me (although I did get that Stealth Invincible..as well oops)

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, Reno said:

This is exactly how I feel. I don't want to have to buy any more versions of any character that has already been made. My preference is to buy only previously unmade characters - but find myself having to buy re-treads far too often due to 2-packs or get a BAF I really want. That and only that is one reason I'd be fine with the BAF concept going by the wayside. I still want those larger figures, but I think that I'd rather just buy them outright rather than have to buy 3 regular sized figures that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. I also however am well aware that they have to make those A-listers to sell at retail and keep the line going.

You state you don't wanna buy any more versions that have already been made. But made by who, Toy Biz? Sorry , but the vast majority of those figures have not aged well at all & most actually look like crap compared to what Hasbro has done these past few yrs. In the past 10yrs, The technology to make better, more comic accurate ML figures has improved vastly. It's laughable when you do a comp pic of the old TB Ironman/ War Machine next to their Hasbro versions. I can probably count on 1 hand how many TB ML can still fit in with Hasbro ML figs & that's BAF Sentinel/Galactus & Giantman/Goliath along with Vulture , Green Goblin & Lizard. 

Ironman sports many armors in the comics so he, more than any other Marvel character, rates numerous figures, unlike DP. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

They #$## the bed going with that head/neck combo. After raising the bar so high with the previous 3 armors, they done smashed their foreheads on it with this one.

I am baffled at how they let this happen. Why? Why? Was there some rush to say this armor had to come out this month or something? I mean people have been hoping for this for years, now. Its easily one of the most requested suits out there. A little more time to get it right wouldve been just fine. I hear people talking about "bootlegs". This is what I would expect a boot leg to look like.

Are you really trying to tell me War Machine is easier to do than Silver Centurion? How do you use metallic red paint for Daredevil's armor but not use it for Iron Man? I guess I can live with the smaller shoulder pads but how did they get the backpack so wrong? Of course the worst offense is that head/neck thing and again, it looks like it could have been easily done correctly.

Yet another exclusive....as botched as it is, I wonder if it too will hard to get. I dont see it pegwarming....but I do think a lot of collectors are going to be disappointed with it and petition for a re-do.

im sc.jpg