What newer costumes should Legends tackle?

Benn

9 minutes ago, Chunkylover said:

My brother had this guy in the 90's Toy-Biz line. It's funny they made a toy of him since he hardly wore it. It looks cool enough for a figure in my book!

Toy Biz made a load of obscure characters and looks, I picked up a Killspree figure in a second-hand shop and discovered he appeared in about two issues

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Toy Biz made a load of obscure characters and looks, I picked up a Killspree figure in a second-hand shop and discovered he appeared in about two issues

Those were the days. Could you imagine if demand was as how now as it was then? Of course they also did a lot of modern figures, which would cut against my collecting tastes.

That original Toy Biz line just always made the current version of any character they tackled, at least for the first few years. Otherwise, I doubt they would have chosen what ended up being relatively obscure looks for some characters. I loved those figures so much when I was a kid.

21 hours ago, Benn said:

That original Toy Biz line just always made the current version of any character they tackled, at least for the first few years. Otherwise, I doubt they would have chosen what ended up being relatively obscure looks for some characters. I loved those figures so much when I was a kid.

They did make some box sets of the original five X-Men and the Giant Size X-Men teams, but you are right that they mostly focused on the comics. 

It's funny when I see collectors complain that Hasbro supposedly does too many modern characters, when ToyBiz was churning out people nobody even remembers anymore like Senyaka and Killspree. Hell, Deadpool ended up taking off in a major way, but he'd only had a few issues under his belt when he got his first action figure too.

56 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

It's funny when I see collectors complain that Hasbro supposedly does too many modern characters, when ToyBiz was churning out people nobody even remembers anymore like Senyaka and Killspree. Hell, Deadpool ended up taking off in a major way, but he'd only had a few issues under his belt when he got his first action figure too.

Senyaka is actually one of my top-ten Legends wants. 🙂

15 hours ago, watanabefan said:

Yeah, I get you. I think the difference is explained by whether one still reads the comics. I don’t, so I don’t appreciate the new ones as much. I did when I was a kid, so I liked the modern offerings from Toy-Biz. With that said, I also liked when they released vintage characters, which they occasionally did.

18 hours ago, watanabefan said:

The thing is most collectors are wiser and more cynical when it comes to new characters, and of course older than they were when the X-Men toy line came out. It reminds me of Squirrel Girl and the 93 annual characters, going to prove you don't know who will be a success and who won't

• 4 months later...

Sorry, marvel has not made any significant upgrade in the past 20yrs to any characters looks/costumes to overtake the classic versions that were created in the 60s/70s/80s & even the handful from the dreaded 90s.  Dave Cockrum's & John Byrne's versions of the X-Men in the 70s/80s are the iconic versions & it has always amused me how today's artists think they can ever top em. Maybe instead of changing the looks of iconic characters, Marvel should focus on better storylines.

Well said. Not just the X-Men, but just about every character or team out there. The best these current guys can do is come up with pointless variations of the classic outfits. Look no further than the Vision for example- every costume he's had since the classic 70s makes me ask "Why?" They serve no functional purpose whatsoever. Stick with the widow's peak cowl, the belt, the iconic collar cape and cord. Same with Nightcrawler and Colossus- their outfits are already great. 

A new costume isnt gonna make a comic book better or get more people to buy it. We dont need new costumes, gimmick covers, idiotic crossover or universe-shattering "events"/reboots that just go back to what they had in the first place.  Just learn the basics of story telling, gain some RESPECT for the characters and the work of the giants that came before you,  and you'll be fine. 

Hasbro has shown they can do a great figure when they put their minds to it. The recent War Machine, Moon Knight, Hellfire Club, Mysterio all show that. Please stick to that kind of focus, and I'll guarantee collectors will continue to buy these figures till the sun burns out.

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Well said. Not just the X-Men, but just about every character or team out there. The best these current guys can do is come up with pointless variations of the classic outfits. Look no further than the Vision for example- every costume he's had since the classic 70s makes me ask "Why?" They serve no functional purpose whatsoever. Stick with the widow's peak cowl, the belt, the iconic collar cape and cord. Same with Nightcrawler and Colossus- their outfits are already great. 

A new costume isnt gonna make a comic book better or get more people to buy it. We dont need new costumes, gimmick covers, idiotic crossover or universe-shattering "events"/reboots that just go back to what they had in the first place.  Just learn the basics of story telling, gain some RESPECT for the characters and the work of the giants that came before you,  and you'll be fine. 

Hasbro has shown they can do a great figure when they put their minds to it. The recent War Machine, Moon Knight, Hellfire Club, Mysterio all show that. Please stick to that kind of focus, and I'll guarantee collectors will continue to buy these figures till the sun burns out.

Main problem is that both Marvel & Hasbro know that there are suckers out there that will buy whatever new costume they throw at the wall that sticks, be it a 12 issue app, 1 issue app or 1 panel app. As you stated about the Vision, his iconic 1st app is his best & every other variation attempt has been a hot mess. Altering the belt buck/boots & color scheme does nothing to improve a classic character. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Fix the atrocious storylines, not the characters.

I'd like to see:

Moon Knight: Mr. Knight look

Wasp: her No Surrender look

Sunspot: his Avengers or New Avengers looks

Cannonball: Avengers look

Spider-Man: Future Foundation

Scarlet Witch: from her most recent solo book

Hulkling: Emperor

Wiccan: Court Wizard 

Black Knight: from his most recent solo

Hawkeye: Fraction/Aja look

Blade: Avengers/Strikeforce look

Noh-Varr: Guardians look

Hercules: Guardians look

Guardians of the Galaxy: Donny Cates/ Shaw & Al Ewing/Juan Cabal GoTG looks

Venom: Cates/Stegman look

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Main problem is that both Marvel & Hasbro know that there are suckers out there that will buy whatever new costume they throw at the wall that sticks, be it a 12 issue app, 1 issue app or 1 panel app. 

Good point...which sadly renders my opinion moot.

Also for anyone who thinks I'm just stuck in the past, nope. I do see the point of some characters getting new outfits. Its just more often than not these days, theyre changes for the sake of change. Captain Marvel's was a good evolution. Ms. Marvel started out in a cut-away bikini version, which for bizarre reasons exposed her back, but then gave her a scarf. Then she got the Dave Cockrum designed outfit, kept the scarf as a sash which is a nod to the first costume but otherwise totally breaking her away from just being a female version of Mar-Vell. Made sense. But then she came full circle to become the new Captain Marvel; no more futzing around....and it made more sense and looked great. Her costume arc made sense.

Wonder Man, on the other hand...lost his original green/red threads and went thru a horrific eyesore parade (though I still hope we get the original, the safari jacket and the full ionic form soon).  Dr. Strange has had some recent weird choices too. I hope we get his classic look 'cause I have no interest in any of these others. 

But like you say....some will happily buy any of them...

3 hours ago, watanabefan said:

It's a great thing these are toys and not life-saving medication, the way some people talk about them. 😴

But I guess I'm one of those weirdos who sees a figure they don't like and is content realizing that's money saved.

Same here. If I don't want a figure, I won't buy it and save my money for something I do want. 

17 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Good point...which sadly renders my opinion moot.

Also for anyone who thinks I'm just stuck in the past, nope. I do see the point of some characters getting new outfits. Its just more often than not these days, theyre changes for the sake of change. Captain Marvel's was a good evolution. Ms. Marvel started out in a cut-away bikini version, which for bizarre reasons exposed her back, but then gave her a scarf. Then she got the Dave Cockrum designed outfit, kept the scarf as a sash which is a nod to the first costume but otherwise totally breaking her away from just being a female version of Mar-Vell. Made sense. But then she came full circle to become the new Captain Marvel; no more futzing around....and it made more sense and looked great. Her costume arc made sense.

Wonder Man, on the other hand...lost his original green/red threads and went thru a horrific eyesore parade (though I still hope we get the original, the safari jacket and the full ionic form soon).  Dr. Strange has had some recent weird choices too. I hope we get his classic look 'cause I have no interest in any of these others. 

But like you say....some will happily buy any of them...

It was laughable when Marvel tried to make Dr Strange look like a Spawn ripoff, WTF were they thinking!  Tell the truth, I was totally on board when they changed Ms Marvel into Warbird, loved the name & costume, unless they make her in her classic 70s attire, I'll be sticking with my Warbird fig as  carol.

Wonderman's 1st app outfit is his best ever & I have been a vocal participant in wanting that version done in an Avengers retro wave! His brother's buck is ideal for him imo as he is slightly bigger than Cap but not bigger than Thor or Herc.

16 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

It was laughable when Marvel tried to make Dr Strange look like a Spawn ripoff, WTF were they thinking!  Tell the truth, I was totally on board when they changed Ms Marvel into Warbird, loved the name & costume, unless they make her in her classic 70s attire, I'll be sticking with my Warbird fig as  carol.

Wonderman's 1st app outfit is his best ever & I have been a vocal participant in wanting that version done in an Avengers retro wave! His brother's buck is ideal for him imo as he is slightly bigger than Cap but not bigger than Thor or Herc.

I'm with you, I want him in his original green/red duds. Sub-Mariner's or Hercules mold?

RCO014_1603400099.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, Gigantor said:

Is this what you are referring to? This is the Symbiote Supreme from the Contest if Champions mobile game.

or is there some other look you are talking about? 

The Symbiote Supreme is kinda cool in the game, can’t believe I didn’t “see” Spawn in there. Now I can’t unsee it

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I'm with you, I want him in his original green/red duds. Sub-Mariner's or Hercules mold? As for Dr Strange/Spawn look I'm talking bout, it was around when he teamed back up with Hulk, Namor & Surfer during Ed McGuiness run.

RCO014_1603400099.jpg

Namor's buck. Simon is 6'3 , Herc is 6'5. Now if they use Herc upper with Namor lower with new boots & can have him be tad smaller than Herd, I'll take it!

8 hours ago, McHogan said:

Is this what you are referring to? This is the Symbiote Supreme from the Contest if Champions mobile game.

or is there some other look you are talking about? 

The Symbiote Supreme is kinda cool in the game, can’t believe I didn’t “see” Spawn in there. Now I can’t unsee it

9A023291-258D-4FC3-84B7-82A6383932AE.jpeg

I think he's refering to Paradox aka Strange from the 90's

154927-38652-paradox.jpg

Yeah, that was it. Marvel trying to jump on the Spawn bandwagon. I think the main reason Marvel sucked in the 90s was due to the huge exodus of their best artists to start Image comics. And unlike Marvel of that decade, the image crew created some awesome & unique characters  that till today, are very popular & it's a shame they didn't get their own 6' action figure line.

7 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Yeah, that was it. Marvel trying to jump on the Spawn bandwagon. I think the main reason Marvel sucked in the 90s was due to the huge exodus of their best artists to start Image comics. And unlike Marvel of that decade, the image crew created some awesome & unique characters  that till today, are very popular & it's a shame they didn't get their own 6' action figure line.

That was one of the reasons. One of big reasons (especially for Spider-man as revealed by Tom DeFalco) was the fact they had literally ran out of ideas. They hadn't a clue of what do with the characters (like a massive case of Writer's Block) and we all know where that went for Spidey.

Well you can't talk about the Marvel Spawn Bandwagon without Nightwatch

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I know we just got sorta similar carnage but I really would like to see Hasbro try to make BAF of this Carnage.

719t5HJL0kL.jpg

Even though Venompool is a fantastic figure, I think Dark Carnage would have been a much better choice for that wave's BAF. I feel like Hasbro could totally repurpose like 60% of that leaked Kro figure into a Dark Carnage.