Sony Working With Director S.J. Clarkson On Marvel's First Female-Centric Movie

Outsiders

Sony Pictures has signed on veteran TV director S.J. Clarkson to develop the first female-centric movie from Sony’s catalog of Marvel characters, sources tell Variety.

It hasn't been confirmed on which character or possible characters the movie will focus on and there is no writer or star attached to the project.

Sony had no comment.

SJ_Clarkson.jpg

Female-centric? Again?! Didn't DC just play this record with disastrous results? Will these people never learn? Build a message into the story, don't build a story around an agenda. I'm sure they'll just pull a bunch female characters, good and evil, from different corners of the Spider-verse and cobble them all together into some super, awesome, no dumb boys allowed (unless they need some blundering idiot for comic relief) team over a common cause. Most likely they'll be stopping a crazy, evil 40 year old white dude doing horrible crimes against mostly women, children and POC's. At any rate, as usual, they've got the typical built in auto-excuse already chambered to fire off if it sucks. Bang...Sexism! Pow...Male Toxicity! Pop...Inequality! Boom....Raaaaaacism!!! At least Birds of Prey had the benefit of being able to blame Covid-19, though for some reason Sonic did not suffer the same fate even though they were screening at the exact same time. Well, at least Wonder Woman did it right, and Black Widow looks promising. I'll hold final judgement till it actually comes out, but if the critics start raving about it you might as well bring a fire extinguisher cuz it's just another rubbish bin set ablaze.

You guys ever tried not making piles of garbage assumptions and then leaving them everywhere for the rest of us to trip over? There's literally no information in the above blurb. They just said they're making a Spiderverse MCU movie starring one or more women, and they have a director attached. They didn't say it was being made specifically to feature women or foster diversity or anything, so just put your baggage away for once. You're gonna break your leg jerking your knee like that.

Also, largely unrelated, but why is Wonder Woman always the token "see, I like movies that star women" example? It's, without question, the most boring super hero film ever made.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

I could see them making a Spider-girl movie. It would allow them to do Spidey-style stories but not have to worry about the MCU.

Spiderwoman would be cool to see with Jessica Drew being the hero. Providing if its made right and not to troll fans.

11 hours ago, monron999 said:

I'm sure they'll just pull a bunch female characters, good and evil, from different corners of the Spider-verse and cobble them all together into some super, awesome, no dumb boys allowed (unless they need some blundering idiot for comic relief) team over a common cause. Most likely they'll be stopping a crazy, evil 40 year old white dude doing horrible crimes against mostly women, children and POC's. 

11 hours ago, monron999 said:

I'll hold final judgement till it actually comes out, 

I dunno.  I looks like you may have already made up your mind.

I heard rumors It's maybe Spider-Gwen, which I really would obviously welcome, and rumors it's Jackpot...either way I'm excited for anything , as long as its done right, guess it's official we are not getting a Silver Sable or Black Cat movie anymore? I thought they were changing it from a team up into 2 solo movies..but I don't remember anymore

20 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I heard rumors It's maybe Spider-Gwen, which I really would obviously welcome, and rumors it's Jackpot...either way I'm excited for anything , as long as its done right, guess it's official we are not getting a Silver Sable or Black Cat movie anymore? I thought they were changing it from a team up into 2 solo movies..but I don't remember anymore

Last I heard Silver and Black maybe heading to Disney+. But not sure. 

3 hours ago, RecklessEndangerment said:

I dunno.  I looks like you may have already made up your mind.

No, not really. I just go by what has been shown historically and by the minutia of the wording. When they make it a point to say Female-Centric movie (yes I know it's the current buzzword) rather than say it's a movie about one of Marvel's female characters it's a major indicator. They sound similar, but are actually two different things. I love my female heroes. Natasha is a bad ass and I have high hopes for her movie. Wanda was done very well in the movies and she's coming into her own and I have high hopes for Wanda/Vision. Wonder Woman was a great movie and story. Alita, Battle Angel was a great movie. Loved all the Underworld movies (except that third one). Love Milla Jovavich playing any kind of badass. There have been dozens and dozens of good movies with female leads, it's not like Disney, Marvel, DC or Sony are some kind of trailblazers in that area, yet they act like they're breaking some sacred ground and they have some way of doing it better than anyone else has ever done. Like I said, I will hold judgement until it gets done, and I honestly plan to do so, and I really do hope it turns out good whatever it is. Personally, I would love a movie about May Parker, Spider-Girl, but I'm thinking it's gonna be Ghost Spider (Gwen) as well. Believe me, I would love the turn out, after a few years of waiting, to be a great product. I'm not rooting for a bad result just so I can be right. I'm just reading the way the tea leaves have been showing recently.

2 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

Black cat movie will be nice, it hard though which costume she will wear..

Most likely this is a spider gwen movie..or maybe throw back Jessica Drew Spider Woman?

According to some reports, it is going to be a Madame Web movie...