New Marvel Legends 2020 Deadool Strong Guy Build-A-Figure Wave Fully Revealed

JayC

36 minutes ago, RAMCAT said:

It is if you're a 90s fan 🤷‍♂️

Gotcha. And to be fair I literally only collected Avengers and Avengers related comics then so I am unfamiliar with all of these looks.

dont remember seeing any of these looks from any of the monthly super crossovers that were so prevalent in the 90s..

I was hoping they would start releasing two heads per BAF, a la Kingpin. That DP box looks kinda empty even with all the weapons he comes with (well not as empty as Old Man Logan or DP from the Sasquatch wave).

That said, I think they nailed the Strong Guy expression on the one head they released. Getting two heads though would make buying that "blue" Deadpool less painful.

Looking at the boxes now, I wish Black Tom came with the back (of the torso) piece AND the head. DP should be marketable enough on his own, without a BAF.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Warpath coulda benefited from coming with an "angry" alternate head sculpt.  Hasbro really needs to make an assortment package of alternate head sculpts for a variety of figures that came with just one head sculpt. A mixture of angry yelling heads or gritted teeth sculpts.

TOTALLY AGREE!  I have been floating the idea of Skrull versions, and or special artist versions (Bachalo, Ramos, Madureira) for what seems like forever!

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I was hoping they would start releasing two heads per BAF, a la Kingpin. That DP box looks kinda empty even with all the weapons he comes with (well not as empty as Old Man Logan or DP from the Sasquatch wave).

That said, I think they nailed the Strong Guy expression on the one head they released. Getting two heads though would make buying that "blue" Deadpool less painful.

Looking at the boxes now, I wish Black Tom came with the back (of the torso) piece AND the head. DP should be marketable enough on his own, without a BAF.

YEah, it is strange that all seven figures come with a piece. Given that DP is a major character, they could have had the X-Men version with no piece; unless maybe they thought he wouldn't sell

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Ugh...they really, REALLY need to retire this female body mold....its just plain laziness at this point. And for this particular figure, that Shiklah face aint doin her any favors....

Agree with you Atlantis, initially I thought the low res pictures did not bring out the best in her...apparently, she did not turn out to be good looking at all.

She should look at least desirable like this

Shiklah screenshots, images and pictures - Comic Vine (With images ...

18 hours ago, McHogan said:

Strong Guy is.. an odd design. He would fit in with The Incredibles where top heavy strong men with tiny twig legs are the norm. Is this intentional due to a mutation or just a cartoony take on him?

16 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Strong guy had odd proportions in the comics as well. Jim Lee drew him best but yes he has a large upper body and smaller legs. Never was a fan of his name but I need the figure for my display of 90's Mutants.

I dunno.Though this figure is clearly based on Lee's work, I'm actually fond of Larry Stroman's (one of the most underrated artists in Marvel history) version, when he was written by Peter David and done right. Many attempts have been made to bring him back, but part of his charm was the whole lovable loser who was in constant pain, but tried to cover it up with sarcasm and humor. No one has ever been able to do it right since 90's X-Factor. They've just always managed to make him some wise cracking A-Hole with only brief moments of redeeming likability, until they (kinda) killed him off.

He isn't a traditional bruiser type. He absorbs kinetic energy which means he basically had to take some licks before he reached his maximum strength potential. At his peak he's stood toe to toe with the likes of Hulk and Thing (for a little while, anyway). Even then he had to utilize or expel the energy within a fairly short time, or risk permanent damage or further mutation. The reason that he's so top heavy is because as a child he was hit by a vehicle and his mutant power activated as a reflex to protect him. The energy of the impact overloaded his small body and deformed him. As he wasn't familiar with his powers at the time he didn't know he had to expend the energy and his body stayed permanently deformed. This causes him constant physical and mental pain and his upbeat attitude is mostly a cover to his true feelings. It's quite a well woven story David created to pluck him from even deeper obscurity and give him this whole backstory why he was who he was and why he looked like he did.

His name was literally chosen by him on the fly, through his own trademark sarcasm, when during a press conference to introduce the team as the government sanctioned X-Team, a reporter verbalized that Guido was obviously the team "Strong Guy" and asked him his code name, to which he replied.....you guessed it. This was much to the chagrin of the straight laced (and cocky) Quicksilver, with whom he quickly developed a love/hate bromance with, while also developing a big brother relationship with Rahne. He really was a integral part of the team who became a fan favorite, so much that Jim Lee lobbied to have him put on his own X-Men Blue team as an analog to the Yellow team's Colossus (before he quickly cut bait and ran to Image, of course). Long story short, after David's run with X-Factor his character was put into the hands of several "less than stellar" writers and totally misused for a few more years, basically extinguishing his rising star. It would have been like handing a new popular character like Deadpool into the hands of some no-talent that didn't know how to develop a character instead of Fabian Nicieza.

I know that was quite a long winded breakdown of Strong Guy that no one really asked for, but though I'm sure the majority of us on this site know about Strong Guy, I'm seeing a lot of "Who the hell is this guy?" and I thought I'd offer some insight. He was, at one time, a very good character that many of us 90's fans learned to like and he's one of my own personal faves who've I've been waiting to see in ML for a very long time, so I was getting this wave even if it had 7 goofy versions of DP or otherwise. And to Hasbro's credit, it took them waaaay too long, but when they finally did it, damn, did they do it right!

Well done Moron999, I always appreciate a good breakdown. While I knew of his character from crossovers, I knew zilch about his characterization or his powers. I (wrongly) assumed he was the Hulk of X-Factor. 

Thanks for the crib notes on this guy. I have quite a few guys like this on my Avengers that are personal favorites of mine that I would appreciate getting made like many here are glad for Strong Guy

20 hours ago, monron999 said:

I got 10 bucks that says that's a legit pose that can be recreated.

One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider.

5 minutes ago, ransomz said:

One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider.

Lol, or you're just afraid I'm right.

36 minutes ago, ransomz said:

Bwahaha- excellent use of that Sky Masterson quote! Kudos!!!

I pre-ordered Warpath, Maverick, and Black Tom. I may pre-order some others, but those are the standouts to me, and I see Warpath as being the "hot" figure of the wave. 

So, this wave is coming out in October? Since the Eternals wave is pushed back, how many more waves are left this year? It's a great but expensive year!

Well ... not such a terrible wave, I want four of the basic figures, I'm sure I can sell Shikla to some Deadpool fan, Piratepool to some ret#@$ed and mostly will have problems to sell the blue deadpool (how many issues did he wear that #$##?) 

But, I want the Stron guy!!!!!!

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I'm not very optimistic I can resell the Deadpool figures (and Shikla)….

YEAh I don't know what they were going for, but between her spindly body and that face....I don't think you can re--sell her either. I'd place bets theyre definitely gonna redo her by next year, to make up for this.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

YEAh I don't know what they were going for, but between her spindly body and that face....I don't think you can re--sell her either. I'd place bets theyre definitely gonna redo her by next year, to make up for this.

I don't see them redoing Shiklah for a long time (if ever), given she's no longer a major character in DP's world 

10 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I'm not very optimistic I can resell the Deadpool figures (and Shikla). I still have my BAFless boxers/slippers Deadpool, X-men trainee Deadpool and Lady Deadpool all from the Sauron wave 😞

In Sauron Wave I only wanted Bishop and Omega Red and of course Sauron, I was so happy when I was able to sell the three deadpools and little Wolverina almost for retail price without the BAF. I dont remember such an non-interesting wave till Super Skrull (I only wanted the Dr. Doom), so this wave where I want four is not so bad ...

11 hours ago, leokearon said:

I don't see them redoing Shiklah for a long time (if ever), given she's no longer a major character in DP's world 

Yeah, I'm not gonna cry too hard if they never make her again, but on the other hand, I really think they dropped the ball there. I've seen some customs (sorry, I don't have the creators' names to credit them) that are better than what Hasbro did here. I guess I would hope, if only out of pride, they would re-visit this one. After all, they gave us "back to back" Storm (admittedly this was a simple repaint) and Ice Man figures.  

p.s. I'm not much of a Deadpool fan, just like I don't care about Cannonball....but I do feel if theyre gonna make the figure, they should do it accurately.

the-wedding-of-deadpool-and-shiklah-1.jpg

44 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Yeah, I'm not gonna cry too hard if they never make her again, but on the other hand, I really think they dropped the ball there. I've seen some customs (sorry, I don't have the creators' names to credit them) that are better than what Hasbro did here. I guess I would hope, if only out of pride, they would re-visit this one. After all, they gave us "back to back" Storm (admittedly this was a simple repaint) and Ice Man figures.  

p.s. I'm not much of a Deadpool fan, just like I don't care about Cannonball....but I do feel if theyre gonna make the figure, they should do it accurately.

the-wedding-of-deadpool-and-shiklah-1.jpg

Maybe they'll include another head sculpt in some other random unrelated figure like they did with Jeff the Baby Landshark with her. Better yet, maybe they'll do a 2 pack of DP and Shiklah and include multiple head sculpts to be interchangeable with this figure like they did with Phoenix Jean Grey.

I really don't see them revisiting Shiklah anytime soon, i think most people are surprised she got a figure in the 1st place.  I don't see the situation as at all comparable to getting Storm figures 3 years in a row or getting a couple of versions of Iceman, this would be more like doing another version of White Rabbit.  I mean the fact that they threw in Jeff the land shark tells you that they don't have that much faith in the figure selling on its own merits.

17 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I really don't see them revisiting Shiklah anytime soon, i think most people are surprised she got a figure in the 1st place.  I don't see the situation as at all comparable to getting Storm figures 3 years in a row or getting a couple of versions of Iceman, this would be more like doing another version of White Rabbit.  I mean the fact that they threw in Jeff the land shark tells you that they don't have that much faith in the figure selling on its own merits.

Yeah I'm in agreement here with this statement, I think this is going to be the only Shiklah figure we ever get, when does an obscure figure ever get a second go round? , the case of say Storm or Jubilee etc, is so different, those are huge tier characters, who can sell a figure, this is a nod to the DP fans and a fun wave inclusion and soley that I'm sure Hasbro is banking on the major selling points of this figure being the BAF piece and Jeff, and last off the fact it's Shiklah, as much as there are some gripes with the figure, I do like it alot, and can look past maybe a "rougher" face, it's still awesome, so happy to get it at all, and we never know it might look much more appealing when we see the final product, I remember thinking that the new Black Widow wave looked quite pathetic upon first seeing it's announcement, then as time went on and I got the figures in hand the opinion vastly changed (other than that awful RG head), I now love that Florence figure head sculpt is great, I always stand by the wait till you see it motto, sometimes figures we think are going to be amazing.. in the end turn out a little less (Retro Iceman with his weird head problems, or White Widow with her awful jutting upper chest thingy and neck seam line), so the opposite can always be a potential