Marvel Legends 6" Strong Guy BAF Wave Warpath Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

43 minutes ago, Psychosomatic said:

Ok, remove shoulder pads, paint feet and shoulders blue, change the belt, add fringe to the upper arms, alter hair, and custom Thunderbird is complete!!!  Already ordered two!

Lol, as an older brother myself, I object to Warpath getting his figure first.  Show some dang respect, y'all!  Age should have its privileges: permanent, no-need-to-call dibs on the front seat in the car, and action figure priority.

I'm liking this guy a little bit more than when I first saw him, but I'm still not psyched on him.  His hair in particular bugs me.  It just hangs there, limp and lifeless.  He looks like he's standing there stoically while someone pours a bucket of black paint over his head.  I think he feels kind of quiet and a little boring, on the whole.  Maybe an alternate head with some expression and hair a little more flowy to give the impression of movement would have helped.  Maybe some kind of quirky, off-the-wall accessory could make him sing.  It might be a little morbid, but if he's going to be so quiet and composed, why not give him a John Proudstar grave marker to kneel beside and swear vengeance upon?  Even better, since we're cutting things so close to the Thunderbird uniform, just give him an alternate head, belt, and shoulder pieces to swap in.

From listening to the Hasbro boys talk, it sounds like their focus might be to complete the X-Force Vol. 1, #1 team in their costumes from that issue.  And that's a noble goal to be sure!  But what I would have done to get there, and exercise a little figure economy at the same time, is to go ahead and make a Thunderbird figure with alternate head, belt, and shoulder pieces so that he can double as X-Force #1 Warpath (and folks can buy two if they like).  Then, quite separately, do up Warpath in his getup with the open neck and little medicine bag that he adopted directly following X-Cutioner's Song.

...and also the grave marker because I think it would be funny.

1 hour ago, MonsterChris said:

Lol, as an older brother myself, I object to Warpath getting his figure first.  Show some dang respect, y'all!  Age should have its privileges: permanent, no-need-to-call dibs on the front seat in the car, and action figure priority.

I'm liking this guy a little bit more than when I first saw him, but I'm still not psyched on him.  His hair in particular bugs me.  It just hangs there, limp and lifeless.  He looks like he's standing there stoically while someone pours a bucket of black paint over his head.  I think he feels kind of quiet and a little boring, on the whole.  Maybe an alternate head with some expression and hair a little more flowy to give the impression of movement would have helped.  Maybe some kind of quirky, off-the-wall accessory could make him sing.  It might be a little morbid, but if he's going to be so quiet and composed, why not give him a John Proudstar grave marker to kneel beside and swear vengeance upon?  Even better, since we're cutting things so close to the Thunderbird uniform, just give him an alternate head, belt, and shoulder pieces to swap in.

From listening to the Hasbro boys talk, it sounds like their focus might be to complete the X-Force Vol. 1, #1 team in their costumes from that issue.  And that's a noble goal to be sure!  But what I would have done to get there, and exercise a little figure economy at the same time, is to go ahead and make a Thunderbird figure with alternate head, belt, and shoulder pieces so that he can double as X-Force #1 Warpath (and folks can buy two if they like).  Then, quite separately, do up Warpath in his getup with the open neck and little medicine bag that he adopted directly following X-Cutioner's Song.

...and also the grave marker because I think it would be funny.

PERFECT RESPONSE!!!!  🙂

3 hours ago, Psychosomatic said:

Ok, remove shoulder pads, paint feet and shoulders blue, change the belt, add fringe to the upper arms, alter hair, and custom Thunderbird is complete!!!  Already ordered two!

His brother T-bird/John Proudstar was 6-1 not 7-2 but hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm quite sure we'll be getting T- bird in the near future and he will be on the properly scaled buck. 

This is a great figure, but I'm not seeing how people think it will make for a reasonable Thunderbird replacement. Also, we're getting Thunderbird at the same time, or possibly earlier in the Target two-pack with Storm. This Deadpool wave is scheduled for October, and there's a good chance the Target two-pack hits before then.

Also, I finally watched this (and also the same guy's Maverick review), and was reminded why I hate watching Youtube reviews so much (for everything, not just toys). I wish reviewers would just keep quiet when they're not experts, or at least relatively knowledgeable. I feel like every review I've ever watched on that platform has been full of misinformation and dubious opinions. You don't read X-Men comics? That's fine, but stick to talking about the toy instead.

I like how some of these reviews are put up early. I wish Hasbro would release these figures early to top reviewers like Shartimus Prime and such so we can decide if we want the figure or not before they put them up for pre-order online. That would be great.

3 hours ago, Dodge76 said:

I like how some of these reviews are put up early. I wish Hasbro would release these figures early to top reviewers like Shartimus Prime and such so we can decide if we want the figure or not before they put them up for pre-order online. That would be great.

I agree with you on this...

I like this warpath in this wave, seems to be the best of the wave as per erivera94

Funny to see it side by side with everyone's favorite x-force figure - cannonball...half man+half amazing

7 hours ago, Benn said:

This is a great figure, but I'm not seeing how people think it will make for a reasonable Thunderbird replacement. Also, we're getting Thunderbird at the same time, or possibly earlier in the Target two-pack with Storm.

You're right, of course.  I was mostly goofing around.  I knew as I was typing that suggesting the brothers share a figure would make @Gigantor's heart rate go up a little.  I don't think anyone really thinks one could be a reasonable replacement for the other.  People just like to connect dots.  What do you think, Grim Reaper body for T-Bird?

7 hours ago, Benn said:

Also, I finally watched this (and also the same guy's Maverick review), and was reminded why I hate watching Youtube reviews so much (for everything, not just toys). I wish reviewers would just keep quiet when they're not experts, or at least relatively knowledgeable. I feel like every review I've ever watched on that platform has been full of misinformation and dubious opinions. You don't read X-Men comics? That's fine, but stick to talking about the toy instead.

...yeah.  I cringed during the review for grey Beast.  I mean, if you're making YouTube videos, I know you've got Google.

I also can't take the "Heyyyy, what's up, guys?  [Reviewer's name] here, comin' atcha with another action figure review!  Today, we're going to look at the Marvel Legends [string a bunch of words together] figure.  So we're gonna jump right in here..."  Every action figure reviewer on YouTube sounds like they're all doing impressions of each other.  It's so weird.  And I am not  taking pot-shots at these guys.  They're doing god's work.  This is strictly constructive criticism: take an hour and write yourself a script, y'all.  I just want hi-res 360-degree shots of the figures, their accessories, and demonstrations of their articulation  and costume pieces.  I mostly just watch the reviews with the sound off.

24 minutes ago, Summers71 said:

I’m kinda curious if Hasbro is going to repaint Warpath and call him ThunderBird or if we’re going to get something new? 

Considering they're coming out right around the same time, I'd be surprised to see Hasbro take the re-paint route. I've been surprised before, though. 🙂 

1 hour ago, MonsterChris said:

You're right, of course.  I was mostly goofing around.  I knew as I was typing that suggesting the brothers share a figure would make @Gigantor's heart rate go up a little.  I don't think anyone really thinks one could be a reasonable replacement for the other.  People just like to connect dots.  What do you think, Grim Reaper body for T-Bird?

Worth it. Yeah, Reaper's looks about right. I'm definitely not an expert on the different sculpts, but seems fine from pictures across Captain America, etc.

7 hours ago, Dodge76 said:

That will never happen, especially as these figure are got through dubious methods. Also even if Hasbro did, there would be loads of conditions attached that would probably compromise the unbiased nature of reviews. 

6 hours ago, Summers71 said:

I’m kinda curious if Hasbro is going to repaint Warpath and call him ThunderBird or if we’re going to get something new? 

yeah this is my thoughts, I think they should have just done this figure in his X-Force outfit, and then just released this version with a few tweaks as T-Bird, I couldn't imagine a T-Bird figure is going to look much different than this..but I'd like to be surprised, I plan on taking the Shoulder pads of this figure once I get it to have that more universal look

18 hours ago, Summers71 said:

If they don't care about scale and are lazy, then Thunderbird will be a repaint; otherwise he will/should be something new

Here I go again, and probably to the contempt of some people on these forums who got tired of me being critical of Sasquatch's height (which is stupid cuz we come to these discussion forums to discuss), but this Warpath is too damn short, no if's and's or but's about it. I know a lot of people are raggin' on "E" for not being familiar with the source material, but the one thing he did do after getting his ayass reamed by the YouTube comments, was when he reviews the Strong Guy BAF he actually looks up the character data sheet beforehand. He notes that Strong Guy is listed at 7' tall and though not completely accurate he scales well with some of the other Heavy Hitters (mostly BAFs) in the line. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to do this with Warpath because he would have had to note that WP is listed at 7'2" even after his change in power set, and should have been approximately the same height as Strong Guy and only a bit shorter than Colossus at 7'5" while not necessarily having to be a BAF himself.

Like @Benn, I was really hoping he would do a comparison with Colossus, but he didn't. Had he done so it would have been 100 percent clear that he was way too short for Warpath, this version in particular, which at this point in his character was purely the clubs "Muscle". He was mostly shown around the same height at Colossus and in some artist's renderings (Liefeld) he was often shown taller. He should not be the same height as Cable and he shouldn't be shorter than Death's Head and he sure as hell shouldn't be shorter than Sandman or Thor or the Wrecker or freakin' Caliban.

I know Hasbro probably wanted to make use of the Omega Red buck again, but isn't an AoA Sabretooth somewhere in the near future? What about Cyber or Classic Hercules? There's plenty of chance to use that mold, this just wasn't the right time. How is it okay to call out a reviewer for not knowing the character data, but it's not okay to be critical of Hasbro, who's job it is to get stuff like this correct, when they can just as easily look up the character data sheet as anyone else. Even better, they should have direct contact with people at Marvel that they should be collaborating with to make sure this doesn't happen. Stand this Warpath against that POS Caliban figure and I defy anyone to pull out any character data that says that's correct. Again, to some of us or even most of us this is a small issue, but to me this is frustrating. Why go through the trouble and fan service of giving us a long awaited update, and then just fumble the ball like this? Part of me says they would have been better off just reusing the older Warpath, only updated with a new head sculpt and the newer legs with the upper thigh cuts like they used with the Wrecking Crew. 

This is a character similar to Sasquatch. They're obscure enough that mostly only true fans are gonna really know who they are, but cool looking enough where most people will still want it, yet not high profile enough that Hasbro will ever make an effort to go back and correct the mistake. These are probably the only shot these characters get, assuming if and when they do white Sasquatch and X-Force WP they will only be repaints, and it's a damn shame they just couldn't make sure to get that one shot right. At this point I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Thunderbird figure is nothing more than a repaint of this figure, cuz y'know, Hasbro. "We care about scale, until we don't".

Don't get me wrong, it's a damn good looking figure, and I'll get it and style wise and articulation wise it is the superior figure. It's just not right. That's my rant. Tear me up about it if you want, but there ain't a damn thing I said in it that ain't 100 percent correct.

Is the problem with this figure, though, or with Caliban (and many other BAFs)? Omega Red is 6'11", so that's a reasonable approximation for Warpath, and Cable is 6'8", so--again--not too far off. Caliban was just made far too tall, probably to help justify his inclusion as a BAF, much like Kingpin/Shadow King. I'm also struggling to accept that Strong Guy is supposed to be only 7 feet tall, as I think he's often been drawn much larger. If he's only supposed to be 7', his new figure is likely far too big. It's taller than the Colossus figures, and not nearly enough shorter than the Juggernaut figure to make for an accurate 7-footer. A lot of the scale issues with Legends honestly seem more like an issue of consistency, like they can't make up their minds whether to stick with listed heights or to indulge in some of the liberties artists have taken. *shrug* At least they try to stick to approximate height with the dudes. The heights on ladies seem chosen almost completely at random.

• 1 month later...

Took some pictures of Warpath for height comparison. He's as in-scale as anybody else, which is to say Hasbro mostly does their best, given the wild inconsistencies between handbook heights and typical comic illustration scale.

Juggernaut: 9'5"

Strong Guy: 7'0"

Colossus: 7'5"

Warpath: 7'2"

Cable: 6'8"

Omega Red: 6'11"

Sabretooth: 6'6"

He's a little taller than Cable and a little shorter than Colossus, which matches the Handbook heights above. Poor Guido's handbook height is just wrong, and I think he may be a little shorter than he's usually drawn, but he works well enough for me too! I included Omega Red and Sabretooth's heights, even though they aren't pictured, because Warpath seemingly appropriately uses Omega Red's bodysculpt, and I often see people inappropriately requesting versions of Sabretooth on that body, when he isn't nearly tall enough for it.

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

• 2 months later...

Just got Warpath today at Wally world as he's really the only one along with Black Tom, that I want from this less than great wave. I would like to get Strong Guy in the near future, but not buying the entire wave for him. The main problem with the larger sized Marvel characters in the ML line is that the Hasbro team doesn't follow the listed hgt guidelines & takes artistic license with them. Sasquatch shoulda been 2 inches taller to mirror his 10ft hgt in the comics as he is the tallest super hero in Marvel comics not including the size shifters like Henry Pym & Erik Josten.  80th anniv Hulk shoulda been about an inch smaller, the FF Thing shoulda been an inch smaller, Kingpin shoulda been an inch smaller. Thanos shoulda been an inch smaller. Anyway, the head of Warpath sat too high so I dremeled it down & now his head sits much better on the neck, will do the same for T-Bird whenever I get him as his head sits high on the neck as well. IMO, Warpath is on a good sized buck that depicts his 7ft hgt.

qwW61r6.jpg