Iron Man Goes Back To Basics With New Title From Christopher Cantwell, CAFU And Alex Ross

JayC

This September, Tony Stark will be going back to basics and putting the MAN back in Iron Man! Acclaimed writer and producer Christopher Cantwell (Doctor Doom, TV’s Halt and Catch Fire) and international superstar artist CAFU (Jane Foster: Valkyrie) will be bringing Marvel readers a new age of iron, including an all-new suit of armor designed by legendary Marvel painter Alex Ross. Don’t miss your first look at the series in the Iron Man #1 Trailer!

“I’m over the moon about getting a shot at writing the Golden Avenger. Since Bob Layton’s art in the 1980s captured my imagination as a kid, I’ve been fascinated by Iron Man, and in this new story run I’m aiming to explore the question: who should Iron Man be today? An angel? A god? Or just a humble man?” said Cantwell. “Tony’s going to try and strip the idea of Iron Man all the way down to its metal core, something that will constantly be at odds with his giant ego. We’ll see if he can truly keep his arrogant self-image in check, even as others with god complexes set their sights on the entire universe.”

Tony is putting away his high-tech toys and high-profile image so he can get his hands dirty again. But can he really lay that Stark-sized ego down? Life isn’t always that simple, something that old friends and frustrating foes are quick to point out. If you strip a billionaire down to his bolts, does he run solid…or just overheat?

For answers to these questions, along with a thrilling new era of rock-solid super-heroic action and adventure, do not miss IRON MAN #1 when it soars into comic shops this September!

Iron Man #1
Written by Christopher Cantwell
Art by CAFU
Wraparound cover art by Alex Ross

IM2020001_DC11.jpg

It seems contradictory, if he's getting "stripped to his metal core" and "putting away his high-tech toys" only to then turn around with a brand new suit of armor.  However I'll check it out. I  more or less dropped the mag cause I couldn't get my head around just why they had this sub plot that his dad and mom weren't really his parents,  and somehow, he needed to have a dad who was a spy, and a mom who was an 80s rock star. Maybe they'll drop all that nonsense. Love the Ross cover, and showcasing Iron Man's old school villains.

8 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

It seems contradictory, if he's getting "stripped to his metal core" and "putting away his high-tech toys" only to then turn around with a brand new suit of armor.  However I'll check it out. I  more or less dropped the mag cause I couldn't get my head around just why they had this sub plot that his dad and mom weren't really his parents,  and somehow, he needed to have a dad who was a spy, and a mom who was an 80s rock star. Maybe they'll drop all that nonsense. Love the Ross cover, and showcasing Iron Man's old school villains.

That was about the same time I dropped it. The whole adoption plot was largely pointless

40 minutes ago, Air-Walker said:

And on that note, I really hope we get the Guardsman in ML; just finished reading his story line in the classic series and loved it. As for this new stuff, whatever. If it keeps people reading comics I'd say it's a good thing, but for me the classic and Silver Centurion designs are yet to be topped.

I think last armour I really liked was the heroes Reborn armour. We really need a Guardsman, I managed to buy Michael's debut as the Guardsman at a Waterford Comic Convention last year

I'm going to feel cautiously optimistic about this. I wanted Tom Taylor to take the reins of Iron Man again, and I haven't heard good things about Cantwell's Doctor Doom series. I'm also not a fan of "Tony Stark has fallen in difficult times," but maybe the back-to-basics approach gives Cantwell a reason to put to use Iron Man's rogues gallery, and this cover seems to indicate that will be one of the factor's of the series. The lack of consistent use of Tony's classic villains in recent years has been one of my pet peeves of modern Iron Man books. The "back to basic" approach will also hopefully steer Tony away from space-adoption plots, or virtual reality rabbit holes, or A.I. uprisings.

The new armor also looks really good. I always like a modern reinterpretation of the Classic Armor... but I'm also not very into Tony wearing older-type suits. It's also interesting that this armor is the same that appeared in Ross' variant cover for Invincible Iron Man #600 all the way back in 2018. Makes me wonder what's the story behind the armor taking two years to debut. CAFU's artwork looks on-point, I really hope he isn't one of those artists that can't stay on a book for more than five issues before needing a filler artist.

Bless Ross' heart, the man is a master of his craft . . . but he is no designer. No slight against the man, I AM a fan, but it is what it is.

As for "Back to the Basics?" That goes right up there in the Cliche Hall of Fame beside "This Time it's Personal" and "It was a Dark and Stormy Night." Still, stale as it is, I think Iron Man of all characters could benefit from that approach. Give the booze-hound, and face of privilege stories a break, and get back to some real comic book writing.

7 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

And on that note, I really hope we get the Guardsman in ML; just finished reading his story line in the classic series and loved it. As for this new stuff, whatever. If it keeps people reading comics I'd say it's a good thing, but for me the classic and Silver Centurion designs are yet to be topped.

I think the key thing to making a Legends Guardsman will come down to paint apps. If they use a metallic dark green it'll really work. Otherwise it runs the risk of looking mediocre, like Guardian/Vindicator or bland like Mach 1's helmet.

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I think the key thing to making a Legends Guardsman will come down to paint apps. If they use a metallic dark green it'll really work. Otherwise it runs the risk of looking mediocre, like Guardian/Vindicator or bland like Mach 1's helmet.

Back when I was collecting the 3'3/4 MU  line in 2010' I musta bought 16 Guardsmen figures! They were so awesome looking. Hasbro needs to just enlarge those versions into the 6' scale. Same for that awesome Crimson Dynamo! 

Hope these bad guys don’t go back to outdated corny costumes for today’s standards. I need that IM right now, also an Extremis, Iron Heart, Iron Patriot (Toni Ho) and Rescue

15 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

Hope these bad guys don’t go back to outdated corny costumes for today’s standards. I need that IM right now, also an Extremis, Iron Heart, Iron Patriot (Toni Ho) and Rescue

I'm banking on the cover only meaning to illustrate the "feel" of the back-to-basics approach, since villains like the Melter or Blacklash are dead. However, Unicorn appearing on the trailer with the orange onesie and the unicorn silhouette on his chest has me a bit worried. It'd be a shame if a series that seems to indicate a revamp for Tony's rogues gallery had them go back to that kind of costumes. 

2 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

I think this is just Alex Ross' artistic license showing....we're not really gonna see these guys all back in that gear.

17 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I totally, unequivocally agree. The Guardsman is such a classic Villain/Frenemy/Hero he needs the complete love that can only be shown through metallic paint. And yes, alas for Guardian, my only (but substantial) disappointment with Hasbro's doings the last few years. They really did a disservice to that release by backing out of that gorgeous metallic scheme they gave the prototype.

23 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

You always have the option to not buy any if you don't like the "outdated corny costumes " from the 70s & 80s. Many of us IM fans of those eras do.

43 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

You always have the option to not buy any if you don't like the "outdated corny costumes " from the 70s & 80s. Many of us IM fans of those eras do.

K

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:38 PM, nWoWolfpack said:

K

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:59 PM, Gigantor said:

One thing that is highlighted is the relatively weak bench of villains the early Iron Man actually has (to be fair, one could say that about any superhero though). Whiplash, for instance, shouldn't be anything other than a minor annoyance to him. I remember an issue where Spymaster tore the crap out of his armor with powered nunchuks. These are guys who really shouldn't be able to get within 10ft of shellhead before theyre blasted thru a concrete wall by his repulsors.

At the same time, if Hasbro were to make these guys into figures, I would expect them to look like they do in the comics. Cant wait for heavy hitters like Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man to show up, but in the meantime if you wanna do Unicorn or Bros Grimm, then by all means, do it right.