Norman Osborn Returns As The Insidious Green Goblin In Amazing Spider-Man #850

JayC

Spider-Man will have his hands full with the Sin-Eater’s reign of terror in the upcoming “Sins Rising” epic – but things will be getting much, much worse. As revealed by Marvel, Spider-Man’s greatest foe, Norman Osborn, returns as the Green Goblin in the over-sized AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #850! Writer Nick Spencer and artists Ryan Ottley, Humberto Ramos, and Mark Bagley will be joined by a veritable Hall of Fame of Spider-Creators to chronicle this climactic chapter in the wall crawler’s years-long conflict with the Goblin-masked madman. And as if that wasn’t enough, the issue will also boast a collection of prestige short stories by Tradd Moore, Kurt Busiek, Chris Bachalo, Aaron Kuder, and Saladin Ahmed!

"This is maybe the most action-packed and harrowing issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ever!” teases Executive Editor Nick Lowe. “There are so many twists and turns and Spidey has never had his back up against a wall like this before."

Spidey has faced his share of hardships, but even the worst things that have happened to him are just a prelude to what transpires here. This colossal showdown will come crashing into comic shops this September, and is not to be missed!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #850 (#49)
Written by NICK SPENCER with TRADD MOORE, KURT BUSIEK & SALADIN AHMED
Art by RYAN OTTLEY, HUMBERTO RAMOS & MARK BAGLEY with TRADD MOORE, CHRIS BACHALO & AARON KUDER
Cover by RYAN OTTLEY

ASM_850_cov.jpg

Has it really been that long since Norman led the Dark Avengers (and prior to that, the Thunderbolts)?

Anyhow, while i was not at all a fan of the "norman had kids with Gwen!" storyline, and in general do not like resurrecting dead characters, feels like Marvel overall has featured norman in some worthwhile stories since his return from death so i think that decision worked out reasonably well.  I give most of the credit to Warren Ellis but Bendis was able to take the ball and run with it, the Dark Avengers stories were pretty much the only bendis avengers arcs i really liked.

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

"Anyhow, while i was not at all a fan of the "norman had kids with Gwen!" storyline, and in general do not like resurrecting dead characters..."

That story line was so repugnant, and stupidly executed, that I stopped buying Spider-Man altogether. This kind of writing is done solely for shock value, to generate controversy, which they think will result in sales boost. But its crappy "writing"; it ignores not just common sense but everything about the characters we've seen up to this point. Even by superhero comic universe standards, where you have guys lifting 10 tons and leaping 60ft into the air, this storyline made no sense. Spider-Man damn near killed Osborn with his bare hands after he killed Gwen- and Spidey tore into him. Marvel had not established that Goblin had any superpowers at this time, so far as Spidey knows, he's bashing a normal guy. He absolutely set out to kill Osborn. Its idiotic to think he wouldn't have ripped his head off after he "came back to life".

Sorry but there are just events that occur that there's no return from. Like how many times has Dr. Doom tried to kill the FF? Once he even plotted to destroy his entire village just to get them. So this notion that he's nowadays a kind of foster/godfather figure to Reed's kids...COME ON.

So Marvel, you wanna rekindle the Spider-Man /Green Goblin arch rivalry, fine. Only don't let it be Osborn.

SP1.jpg

amazing-spider-man-122-1.jpg

Absolutely hated Gwen having sex with Norman. It made zero sense, and was used purely for shock value to tell a very weak story line. It was a shame too because I liked the rest of JMS's Spider-Man run.

I stopped buying Spidey comics for a long time after that arc, and still don't read them with the frequency I once did. Gwen was always a rather special character to me, someone who Peter should have married had the Goblin not killed her. 

Absolutely ridiculous, cash-grabby nonsense!

That Norman Osborn never actually died from their classic encounter in AS #122  is one of the reasons why I stopped reading Marvel comics. That and the whole Clone Saga debacle, or things like Thanos never staying dead, etc. It's poor integrity imo, it's the Megacorp mentality too; characters are all 'franchises' now, and the dead ones are only really dead until some writer needs them in order to get attention for book sales. In terms of doing anything new....like actually creating a totally brand new character(s), with a brand new story/ universe, villains...Something like what Kirby did with the Eternals, or New Gods to cite some examples ...Imagine Marvel allowing someone to be that creative today? I think they could get more people interested in comics again if they took more creative chances instead of playing it safe. That and finding a way to make them less expensive.

1 hour ago, Amazing_2099 said:

Absolutely hated Gwen having sex with Norman. It made zero sense, and was used purely for shock value to tell a very weak story line. It was a shame too because I liked the rest of JMS's Spider-Man run.

I stopped buying Spidey comics for a long time after that arc, and still don't read them with the frequency I once did. Gwen was always a rather special character to me, someone who Peter should have married had the Goblin not killed her. 

Of course it made no sense and it still won't have made any sense if JMS's original idea of Peter being the dad. The whole idea shouldn't have been greenlit in the first place; but you can say that about a few other Marvel stories.