Most shocking omissions thus far

Dabboi

To explain; what I mean is characters who are the most shocking to have not gotten a Legends figure from Hasbro (Or at least not for some time)

I'll pick five to start off
1. Two-Gun Kid
2. Siryn
3. Tigra
4. Swordsman
5. Firestar/Justice

I would put comic Falcon and classic Doc Strange at the top of the list.  I'm kinda surprised Strange didn't get a figure as part of the 80th anniv line. I'm guessing we will see a Falcon figure soon with a wings similar to the recent Vulture figure.

I think Firestar would've been made already but it seems like there are unresolved issues about what sort of wave she would go in, doesn't make much sense to me but its the rumored excuse from hasbro.   Thought there was also a rumor of a Spider-man and his amazing friends set coming but not sure whether there's any truth to that.

Given the line's focus on 90s looks & moderns looks it doesn't surprise me that they haven't gotten around to the likes of Two-Gun Kid or Swordsman yet.  But at this point its not safe to bet against hasbro making any character, so they could be just round the corner, who knows?

I agree with Falcon (be it classic or modern) and classic Doctor Strange being two of the biggest omissions. I'm also surprised we haven't gotten more of the classic Inhumans, like Karnak, Crystal or Gorgon, considering the Inhumans have a considerable following among die-hard fans, and they had a mandatory push from an executive level a few years ago.

Another big omission in Hasbro's part is many of the newer characters, like Ironheart, Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes), Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne), Hulk/Brawn (Amadeus Cho, not a new character per se, but still fits the bill) or Viv Vision. However, Hasbro is normally slow on the uptake when it comes to new characters and new versions of characters, so it's not shocking.

55 minutes ago, ADour said:

I agree with Falcon (be it classic or modern) and classic Doctor Strange being two of the biggest omissions. I'm also surprised we haven't gotten more of the classic Inhumans, like Karnak, Crystal or Gorgon, considering the Inhumans have a considerable following among die-hard fans, and they had a mandatory push from an executive level a few years ago.

Another big omission in Hasbro's part is many of the newer characters, like Ironheart, Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes), Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne), Hulk/Brawn (Amadeus Cho, not a new character per se, but still fits the bill) or Viv Vision. However, Hasbro is normally slow on the uptake when it comes to new characters and new versions of characters, so it's not shocking.

I feel for Robbie they'd have to find a specific time and have a budget to do him with his car cos you need him and his car

1 hour ago, ADour said:

I'm also surprised we haven't gotten more of the classic Inhumans, like Karnak, Crystal or Gorgon, considering the Inhumans have a considerable following among die-hard fans, and they had a mandatory push from an executive level a few years ago.

I think we might have gotten more Inhumans if A) the tv series wasn't awful  and B) the two Inhumans we did get had sold better.  My perception (perhaps wrong) is that the Okoye wave as a whole did not sell all that well, black bolt included. And of course Medusa hung around Walgreens forever. It probably doesn't help that iirc both of these were repaints of versions from an sdcc set, so there were probably a decent number of fans who had already obtained the two via that set.   Still, for characters that seem like they could made mostly with re-used parts it is a bit surprising we haven't seen any more of them, even sprinkled in waves here and there.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, its funny my perception is the opposite, that hasbro allots too many ML slots to new characters who are often flash-in-the-pan or to older characters who sport a  certain costume for a very brief period (which has often been abandoned by the time the figure comes out)  Although i understand WHY hasbro does this,.. its just I have a personal preference for more classic takes on characters.   The entire FF wave aside from Doom is based on modern looks, and the demogoblin wave had both superior ock as well as those alternate spidey looks (i guess those may go further back in history, in addition to being skins in the game). In addition, this year we've also gotten figures for the new-ish characters of  Red Hulk,  and Cosmic Ghost Rider although i'm not complaining about either of those two.   

Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne/Pym)

Giant Man (Raz Malhotra)

Atlas (Erik Josten) [his best identity no debate]

Sersi

Rick Jones/A-Bomb he’s been around forever and not had a figure yet

Amadeus Cho been around for ages hasn’t had a figure yet also

Quasar hasn’t had a figure yet

Phyla-Vell & Moondragon haven’t Gad figures yet

Crystal

Blue Marvel

Jimmy Woo 

Warriors Three

Quake got exposure from AoS still no comic figure 

Runaways 

Quentin Quire

Pixie 

Human Torch (Jim Hammond)

Justice & Speedball

Firestar

Spitfire

Ironheart

5 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I think we might have gotten more Inhumans if A) the tv series wasn't awful  and B) the two Inhumans we did get had sold better.  My perception (perhaps wrong) is that the Okoye wave as a whole did not sell all that well, black bolt included. And of course Medusa hung around Walgreens forever. It probably doesn't help that iirc both of these were repaints of versions from an sdcc set, so there were probably a decent number of fans who had already obtained the two via that set.   Still, for characters that seem like they could made mostly with re-used parts it is a bit surprising we haven't seen any more of them, even sprinkled in waves here and there.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, its funny my perception is the opposite, that hasbro allots too many ML slots to new characters who are often flash-in-the-pan or to older characters who sport a  certain costume for a very brief period (which has often been abandoned by the time the figure comes out)  Although i understand WHY hasbro does this,.. its just I have a personal preference for more classic takes on characters.   The entire FF wave aside from Doom is based on modern looks, and the demogoblin wave had both superior ock as well as those alternate spidey looks (i guess those may go further back in history, in addition to being skins in the game). In addition, this year we've also gotten figures for the new-ish characters of  Red Hulk,  and Cosmic Ghost Rider although i'm not complaining about either of those two.   

I think that Hasbro's preference for the old-school is much more palpable, especially nowadays. Take for example all the themed X-Men rosters that Hasbro has been building over the years. None of them is more modern than the 90s, with Giant-Size X-Men, X-Factor, X-Force, the Arcade game line-up and Age of Apocalypse. Hasbro has been building all of these old-school X-Men rosters at the same time while completely neglectic the current X-Men status quo, Dawn of X, which happens to be the biggest shake-up since Grant Morrison that has catapulted the X-Men back to prominence. I hope the upcoming Powers of X-inspired Nimrod is indicative of something.

The Fantastic Four wave got the modern costumes because they had just tackled the classic costumes in the Walgreens set, and the Grey She-Hulk figure is an example of Hasbro being slow with newer looks that I'll elaborate later on. Red Hulk is not a new characters since he's been around since 2008. I'd consider him more of a modern classic. Cosmic Ghost Rider is one of the few examples of Hasbro giving new characters the spotlight in due time. In the case of the Demogoblin wave, the Gamerverse costumes are a bit of an exception, since they're closer to MCU figures when it comes to topicality. And the wave still featured classic/old-school versions of the Vulture, Shang-Chi, and the BAF itself.

As I mentioned, my main issue with Hasbro's treatment of newer character or looks, which you mentioned in your comment, is that many times they sit on making them for too long. So by the time they make a figure of it, the character or look is no longer topical. The Grey She-Hulk is a perfect example of this; aready outdated by the time she was announced. Shiklah was a relevant character in Deadpool's word... about four years ago. Superior Octopus had already gone through two identity changes (Superior Spider-Man and then classic Doc Ock) by the time his figure was out (plus Hasbro had already made classic Doc Ock). The Modern Hercules figure was hitting the shelves by the time a new book in which he changed his look was hitting the stands. The All-New Wolverine figure came out three years after Laura had become Wolverine, and a few months after she had already returned to being X-23. The Jane Foster Thor figure came out in 2017, three years after she'd first appeared, and a few months before she'd stop being Thor.

I find this "latency effect" easy to notice by looking at Iron Man figures. The Extremis Armor debuted in 2004, Tony dropped it in 2009, it got a figure in 2012. The Bleeding Edge Armor debuted in 2010, Tony dropped it in 2012, it got a figure in 2013. The Marvel NOW! Armor debuted in 2012, Tony dropped it in 2014, it got a figure in 2015. The Model-Prime Armor debuted in 2015, it got a figure in 2017, Tony dropped it in 2018.

I feel that if Hasbro really prioritized modern characters and looks, we'd already have gotten figures for Ironheart, Robbie Reyes, Nadia Van Dyne, Brawn, Viv Vision, in addition for figures of established modern looks for characters like Loki, Ultron, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Star-Lord and the Wasp, to give a few examples off the top of my head.

I agree with ADour, most of the "newer" looks for figures have been late, and not in immediate relevance to when they were appearing in comics , we actually have been very lucky with getting quite a huge nod to the older looks especially in the X-Men department. I have no problem with it.

anyways off the top of my head these are some glaring omissions, that for the most part I'm shocked we have yet to see

Classic Dr. Strange
Classic Falcon
Classic Adam Warlock
White Queen
Angel
Blob
Baron Mordo
Mandarin

Crystal
Comic Red Skull (Update)
Arcade (this figure is so easy to do for Hasbro, I'm surprised it hasnt yet happened, they have the body, just need a head)
Pyro
Lockjaw
Feral
Lady Deathstrike
Banshee
Firestar
Siryn
Mojo
Longshot
Kang
Rictor
Classic Ultron
Tigra
Ketch Ghostrider

Zero 6" figures from Toybiz or Hasbro:

ALL of the Imperial Guard NOT named Gladiator;

ALL of the Starjammers;

Most of the Inner Circle: Mastermind, Sebastian Shaw, Selene, Tessa/Sage, Hellfire Club goons, Donald Pierce;

Most of Generation X: M, Synch, Skin, Chamber, Husk, Penance, Mondo PLUS Emplate;

ALL of the Morlocks NOT named Caliban;

Other Villians: Proteus, Shadow King astral form, Deathbird, Destiny, Goblin Queen, Cassandra Nova, Legion

Other Heroes: Thunderbird, Mimic, Changeling, Magma, Cypher, Rusty, Morph TAS, Feral, Rictor, Roma, Meggan, Revanche, Joseph, Marrow, Maggott, Dr Cecilia Reyes, Rictor, Vulcan, Hound Rachel Summers (I'm cheating with this one since we already have the Green dress/skirted Rachel "Grey" that came in the Brood Queen wave); 

Humans: Moira, Valerie Cooper, Trish Tilby, Senator Kelly, Reverend Stryker.

Don't get me wrong I know that characters like Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool, Wolverine and Cap sell really well but there are some really glaring omissions from the line.

Firelord
Rerelease some of the SDCC figures for collectors (Satana, Ghost, etc.)
Ka-Zar
Shanna

Marrina and Talisman; but given the Alpha Flight set, I don't think we'll get them anytime soon

Other than Falcon, Strange, Banshee, Firestar and the Warriors Three, none of your suggestions really strike me as "shocking" omissions. Sure they're missing from the collection and would be awesome to have, but is it really shocking they haven't been made? 

Machine Man 2020!! I thought this would have been the biggest no-brainer thus far, given we've now got his arch-nemesis (should have been a 2-pack actually). While I'd prefer to see a new figure properly and perfectly tooled to MM 2020's design and paint mods, Hasbro still could have gotten away with this with a simple repaint of the original version and with a new head. Really hoping that they're just holding out on us, man.

Other than that? I'd switch surprised more than shocked that we still as yet do not have:

• Jocasta
  • Classic Ultron
  • Marina
  • Any other classic Guardians of the Galaxy; poor Vance Astro is long in his loneliness on my shelf, lol. 
  • Firelord already!! 

I would say that in a world where we have the likes of Rock Python, Titus, and Angela that any character who is more well known than those three is kind of shocking to have not gotten in figure form yet

I don't know how much any of these count as "shocking" omissions or how you'd qualify that, but these are the characters that I think are among the most popular/prevalent or iconic that don't have modern Marvel Legends figures.

Biggest hero omissions (all classic comic book versions)

1. Doctor Strange
  2. The Falcon
  3. Captain Marvel II (Monica Rambeau)
  4. She-Hulk
  5. Luke Cage
  6. Iron Fist
  7. Adam Warlock
  8. Gamora
  9. Giant Man or Goliath or Yellowjacket
  10. Captain Britain

Biggest villain omissions (classic comic versions again)

1. Ultron
  2. Kang the Conquerer
  3. Red Skull
  4. Mephisto
  5. Galactus
  6. The Mandarin
  7. The Mole Man
  8. M.O.D.O.K.
  9. Ronan the Accuser
  10. Annihilus

14 hours ago, ADour said:

The Fantastic Four wave got the modern costumes because they had just tackled the classic costumes in the Walgreens set, and the Grey She-Hulk figure is an example of Hasbro being slow with newer looks that I'll elaborate later on. Red Hulk is not a new characters since he's been around since 2008. I'd consider him more of a modern classic. Cosmic Ghost Rider is one of the few examples of Hasbro giving new characters the spotlight in due time. In the case of the Demogoblin wave, the Gamerverse costumes are a bit of an exception, since they're closer to MCU figures when it comes to topicality. And the wave still featured classic/old-school versions of the Vulture, Shang-Chi, and the BAF itself.

As I mentioned, my main issue with Hasbro's treatment of newer character or looks, which you mentioned in your comment, is that many times they sit on making them for too long. So by the time they make a figure of it, the character or look is no longer topical. 

Great comment (the whole thing was a good read) and i'll admit i am probably biased due to being somewhat out of the loop on current comics. To my  crusty old self, 2008 seems fairly new but that's just how the years fly by for me these days, so i probably shouldn't be the one deciding who counts as new or not (got into an argument on IG the other day about whether describing Singularity as "a fairly new character" was appropriate).  I should also note that i am definitely down for Viv Vision, Ironheart, and Cho Hulk.  Reyes seems like a tough sell because you need the car, but its not outside the realm of possibilities imo. Feels like if ML is gonna make a car for anybody it'll be Robbie.

as far as looks/characters not being topical when the figures come out, i definitely agree but chalk it up to a combination of a lengthy process of manufacturing (i've heard it generally takes a year (or more) to go from design to product on shelves) and the short shelf-life that many modern costumes and new characters get.  I can remember what a huge deal it was when Spidey changed costumes in ASM 252, but nowadays every new creative team tends to get their own shot at designing new looks for characters, which is fine, just makes it tricky when it comes to merchandising. Similiarly new characters are great but when they are legacies they mostly have a built in shelf-life until the "original" returns from death or whatever, and when new characters *are* originals they can be hot for a minute and be an important part of one creative team's stories but can also fade from prominence just as quickly, particularly when a new team comes aboard and isn't interested in putting as much emphasis on that character.   Shiklah is a great example.

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

Great comment (the whole thing was a good read) and i'll admit i am probably biased due to being somewhat out of the loop on current comics. To my  crusty old self, 2008 seems fairly new but that's just how the years fly by for me these days, so i probably shouldn't be the one deciding who counts as new or not (got into an argument on IG the other day about whether describing Singularity as "a fairly new character" was appropriate).  I should also note that i am definitely down for Viv Vision, Ironheart, and Cho Hulk.  Reyes seems like a tough sell because you need the car, but its not outside the realm of possibilities imo. Feels like if ML is gonna make a car for anybody it'll be Robbie.

as far as looks/characters not being topical when the figures come out, i definitely agree but chalk it up to a combination of a lengthy process of manufacturing (i've heard it generally takes a year (or more) to go from design to product on shelves) and the short shelf-life that many modern costumes and new characters get.  I can remember what a huge deal it was when Spidey changed costumes in ASM 252, but nowadays every new creative team tends to get their own shot at designing new looks for characters, which is fine, just makes it tricky when it comes to merchandising. Similiarly new characters are great but when they are legacies they mostly have a built in shelf-life until the "original" returns from death or whatever, and when new characters *are* originals they can be hot for a minute and be an important part of one creative team's stories but can also fade from prominence just as quickly, particularly when a new team comes aboard and isn't interested in putting as much emphasis on that character.   Shiklah is a great example.

It is interesting you mention the debut of the Black Costume as it does highlight another difficulty with new characters and costumes; there is no way of knowing if a look/character is even going to be a hit or not. It is hard to believe but when it first debuted, the Black Costume wasn't popular with fans or the bullpen and only started to get popular after the got rid of the symbiote (hence the cloth version). Similiarly when it debut Marvel thought Wonderman's green jetpack costume was going to be a hit, boy were they wrong.

Wonder Man had the worst costumes ever, until he got to his Red Jacket and Black Shirt. 

I wouldn’t want a Cho Hulk I’d rather get Cho as his Brawn look.

Comic Black Order is a big one 

I feel like I really have to stretch for some glaring omissions these days, but here goes:

• Banshee
  • Thunderbird
  • Warriors Three
  • Morlun (especially with all the spider-verse stuff they've been doing, comic and otherwise)
  • Ultron (any of the classic versions)
  • The rest of the DnA Guardians: Phyla Vell, Moondragon, Mantis, Bug, Jack Flag
  • Firestar
  • Quasar (Wendell Vaughn)
  • Crystal
  • The Watcher
  • Mephisto (Though, we all know why they haven't done this one)
  • Surtur

I'm shocked we haven't gotten Overdrive yet, because we got the REST of the Superior 6 like, Five years ago, was it?

I also think the rest of the Inhumans not being released was kind of a "chicken and the egg" type thing, I passed on Black Bolt and Medusa because in my head I thought "They're never gonna make the rest of the team" and since those figures sold so poorly, they haven't made the rest of the team....so to any Inhumans fans...My Bad.