Most shocking omissions thus far

Dabboi

7 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Great comment (the whole thing was a good read) and i'll admit i am probably biased due to being somewhat out of the loop on current comics. To my  crusty old self, 2008 seems fairly new but that's just how the years fly by for me these days, so i probably shouldn't be the one deciding who counts as new or not (got into an argument on IG the other day about whether describing Singularity as "a fairly new character" was appropriate).  I should also note that i am definitely down for Viv Vision, Ironheart, and Cho Hulk.  Reyes seems like a tough sell because you need the car, but its not outside the realm of possibilities imo. Feels like if ML is gonna make a car for anybody it'll be Robbie.

as far as looks/characters not being topical when the figures come out, i definitely agree but chalk it up to a combination of a lengthy process of manufacturing (i've heard it generally takes a year (or more) to go from design to product on shelves) and the short shelf-life that many modern costumes and new characters get.  I can remember what a huge deal it was when Spidey changed costumes in ASM 252, but nowadays every new creative team tends to get their own shot at designing new looks for characters, which is fine, just makes it tricky when it comes to merchandising. Similiarly new characters are great but when they are legacies they mostly have a built in shelf-life until the "original" returns from death or whatever, and when new characters *are* originals they can be hot for a minute and be an important part of one creative team's stories but can also fade from prominence just as quickly, particularly when a new team comes aboard and isn't interested in putting as much emphasis on that character.   Shiklah is a great example.

Thank you, I was worried I had written an unbearable wall of text.

Fair enough. I don't expect Hasbro to treat figures for new costumes or characters the way they do MCU proprietes (i.e. well in advance), but I think at the very least when it comes to popular characters (Iron Man, Wolverine, Captain America, Thor, etc.), they should be able to close the gap between a costume debuting and the figure getting made.

I might be talking out of my butt here since I don't actually keep up with DC collectibles, but I always had the impression Mattel managed to pump up new looks and characters faster than Hasbro did for Marvel. I remember there being figures for the Rebirth versions of characters only a few months after they'd debuted in the comics, and the same happened with The New 52. Other topical costumes like Jim Gordon Batman, Zero Year Batman, Death of the Family Joker or Burnside Batgirl got figures roughly two years after their debut, which is still faster than Hasbro's average.

But, hey. Now that Hasbro's reached a consistently good production quality average and they're doing definitive versions of classic and retro looks, it's only a matter of time before they reach the bottom of the barrel and will have to turn to topical and modern looks no matter what 😛

3 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

I'm shocked we haven't gotten Overdrive yet, because we got the REST of the Superior 6 like, Five years ago, was it?

The running gag of the Superior Foes was that they were the Sinister Six despite being five people, so maybe this is Hasbro's own take on it.

"They're the Sinister Six, but they are only five characters... aaand there are only four figures."

8 hours ago, ADour said:

The running gag of the Superior Foes was that they were the Sinister Six despite being five people, so maybe this is Hasbro's own take on it.

"They're the Sinister Six, but they are only five characters... aaand there are only four figures."

Somehow that won't surprise me. Also we need the Living Brain to complete the short lived Sinister Six

Nothing about what Hasbro does (or doesn't do) anymore is in any way "shocking" to me. If nothing else shows they will do just about anything to make a buck, look no farther than the ridiculous Deadpool/Headpool monstrosity they recently revealed. But still, there are plenty of characters that have inexplicably missed the plastic treatment. What really shocks me is some of the things that Big Daddy Disney has NOT demanded of their water carrier, Hasbro.

1. Comic Falcon - Modern, classic or pretty much any non-Captain America version would be great, if you could ever get around to it, Hasbro. And no, the wings are not optional. All falcons, superheroes, birds or otherwise should have wings. It's non negotiable.

2. Lady Deathstrike - Seriously, are you guys asleep at the wheel or what? We can't do a major villain and historical figure from Wolverine's past, but don't worry guys, D-Listers like Rock Python and Caliban and weirdo crap like Iron Skull and Pirate Deadpool....yeah, we're all over that.

3. Quasar - The fact that this guy got benched for 4 versions of the Goddess Above All who absolutely 100 percent doesn't hate 40 year old white dudes and really, honestly, seriously, truly does her own stunts that don't require running, or jumping, or walking briskly, or sitting, or blinking, or breathing, or acting, or not rolling her eyes is a travesty in itself. But, of course, you can't have someone with a "Y" chromosome with almost the exact same powers as the Anointed One. That just wouldn't be progressive.

4. Classic Nova - See above. There's only room for one all-powerful universal defender and these two fellas just don't meat (yes, pun intended) the proper specifications. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

5. Wofsbane/Feral - I put them together because they would almost certainly use the same mold. I'm sure it's just a matter of time for these two. I hope they do it right. Psst, they have different tails.

6. Power Man - I know we've had this one done, but it wasn't mass released and a lot of ML fans did not get it. Change the look up a bit, put it on the Odinson buck rather than that tired-ass Hyperion buck and put it in a legit wave. Between this guy, Falcon and Lady Deathstrike I'm beginning to think Disney's whole social justice, equality, inclusivity stance is just a beard for something more sinister. Wonder what that might be.

7. Banshee - I know they did one in the Dark Days but it was almost bad enough that it made the Blob wave Emma Frost look more appealing. Almost. And let's not go the Cannonball route and give him that one static, power mimicking look screw job. Give us an alternate head so we can pose him without looking like he's passing a massive kidney stone.

8. Tigra - Do we really even need to speculate why this one hasn't been done? Let's see...voluptuous, beautiful female in a string bikini. Well, I think we all know how hurtful just the thought of that is. Luckily they've given her a new flatter form and a new crop top and biker shorts look so it shouldn't be long before they slap some stripes on that waif Kate Bishop buck and push her on down the line.

9. Classic Hercules - Let's be honest, that man-bun wearing, frat boy, D-Bag Hercules they did in the Thanos wave was not the one the majority of us wanted. They might as well have given him a guitar and a sixer of passion fruit White Claw instead of a sword and mace. Do the one we want. Make sure he doesn't skip leg day, and hope you can do half as good a job with it as Marvel Universe did in "3.75 like 5 years ago. Where's Dave Vonner when you need him?

10. Longshot/Spiral - I put these two together because it is equally unfathomable that either or, or neither nor has been done to this point. There are literally 3 relevant characters from the Mojoverse, 4 if you count Mojo II, but c'mon, right? Put them both in the same wave, make Mojo the BAF and get it outta the way. One and done. Oh, and don't forget, Hasbro, you did the whole six arm thing right the first time back in the Target exclusive Red Hulk wave. Whoever you gotta bring back to show you how to do it, just get it done.

Of course, there are a ton more qualified candidates. Kang, Crystal, Frankie Ray Nova, Danny Ketch Ghost Rider, Viv Vision, Mister Hyde, Jigsaw, anyone from Deadpool's Rainbow Force, Vermin, Etc. Etc Etc, but these are the most glowing omissions IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I know these lists come down to personal preferences, but these are still some I want to see.

1. Speedball (or any more of the new warriors)
2. Avalanche & Pyro (expecting a two-pack, so theyre together)
3. Stingray (after the stingray figure comic cover, now I want it)
4. new versions of the Young Avengers (with 'Empyre' debuting it might happen)
5. Kang The Conqueror

Honorable mention goes to the Eternals, but with the movie coming out I'm sure we'll get both movie and comic versions.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 2.08.48 AM.png

I wanna play!! 

Marvel

1. Dr.Strange

2. Falcon

3. TIGRA

4. Kang

5. Swordsman/MANTIS 

X-men

1. Banshee

2. Outback Psylocke

3. Long shot

4. Marauders (Scalphunter, Arclight, Vertigo,Harpoon, Prism and Riptide)

5.Imperial Guard ( Warstar, Oracle, Fang, Hussar,Starbolt and Smasher)

For me there’s a been a lack of mid 2000-2010’s X-men. I love the Jim Lee costumes for the aesthetic and I used to watch the animated series as it aired in the UK for years after initially aired, but they’re not the looks that originally got me reading comics. I imagine there’s few other millennials that feel the same so it would be nice to at least be given one or two characters from that era. Lately they’ve just given us the colossus from the warlock wave. 

I want:

1) Rockslide (he’d have to be a BAF)

2) Anole

3) an updated cyclops (uncanny utopia era costume)

4) Cecilia Reyes 

5) Pixie

6) Thunderbird II

7) Exodus

I’d live to see more b-list spider man rogues aswell like Armadillo, vermin or a swarm although these I could imagine would never get done as they’d all need new bucks. Actually vermin could be done on the jackal body which they never reused for some strange reason.

44 minutes ago, Toby404 said:

For me there’s a been a lack of mid 2000-2010’s X-men. I love the Jim Lee costumes for the aesthetic and I used to watch the animated series as it aired in the UK for years after initially aired, but they’re not the looks that originally got me reading comics. I imagine there’s few other millennials that feel the same so it would be nice to at least be given one or two characters from that era. Lately they’ve just given us the colossus from the warlock wave. 

I want:

1) Rockslide (he’d have to be a BAF)

2) Anole

3) an updated cyclops (uncanny utopia era costume)

4) Cecilia Reyes 

5) Pixie

6) Thunderbird II

7) Exodus

I’d live to see more b-list spider man rogues aswell like Armadillo, vermin or a swarm although these I could imagine would never get done as they’d all need new bucks. Actually vermin could be done on the jackal body which they never reused for some strange reason.

Sorry, but majority of mid 2000s up to the present X- characters are pretty lame imo & would peg warm hard. "Pixie" ? "Anole"?? Really?? "Cecelia Reyes"? That's her superhero name?  

3 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, but majority of mid 2000s up to the present X- characters are pretty lame imo & would peg warm hard. "Pixie" ? "Anole"?? Really?? "Cecelia Reyes"? That's her superhero name?  

Horses for coarses. There’s a whole bunch of characters from the 90s that I have no real interest in. I hate the x-factor costumes. But I appreciate that there’s a group of collectors that are really into them, and so I don’t criticize I just don’t buy them 

There’s always a few characters that are going to peg warm but we could at least have a few x-men from that time released that are fairly popular, like a rockslide, armour or dust and let’s see how they do. 

The Kyle/Remender X-force are from that era and Hasbro have released a few characters from those teams (some a few times over) so they at least must be doing well.

16 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Is Cecilia Reyes somehow more absurd as a super hero/villain name than Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, Bishop, Selene, Trevor Fitzroy, etc.? She's a character in a super hero book, but unlike most of the aforementioned she never really had any interest in being a super hero or involving herself in that drama. She just happens to be a mutant with a useful power, and got wrapped up in it all. And believe it or not, not all collectors are grognards stuck in the bronze age. I'd be all over Armor, Dust, or Pixie. Anole doesn't do much for me, but Cyclops in his Astonishing costume is definitely overdue, and I think Rockslide would likely be an awesome toy. I'd also love to see Hellion done well.

If characters being too obscure to sell was a problem, like 60 percent of Legends wouldn't exist. If they can make characters like Tigershark, Whirlwind, Spymaster, Cobra, Eel and Cottonmouth despite the lack of popularity, they can make Pixie and Cece Reyes.

It's funny. The same people who whine about modern characters that are supposedly lame or obscure are usually the same ones complaining about the lack of characters like  Orka or Whizzer or Trapster, who man would argue fall under that same umbrella. Only difference is that you grew up reading them.

20 hours ago, Gigantor said:

4 hours ago, Benn said:

Is Cecilia Reyes somehow more absurd as a super hero/villain name than Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, Bishop, Selene, Trevor Fitzroy, etc.? 

And believe it or not, not all collectors are grognards stuck in the bronze age.

Yeah honestly...Cecelia reyes makes you go huh? Cecelia Reyes is pretty important, and I'd say we may potentially see her soon, as she appears in the New Mutants movie, it could be a welcome to addition to that team, as for Pixie..I'm not sure how one would be unfamiliar she has a following (tons of people have been making customs for years) and is also New Mutants. Anole would maybe be a stretch but he is certainly not a joke nobody

I'd love all 3 of those figures, as would many I'd imagine...... what you think Rocket Racer or 3-D man should be getting a figure before those , har har

As for the question of the thread, I'm floored Mr. Negative hasn't been made. Easy figure to make from existing parts, was a major villain in one of the best-selling games of the year, and is used pretty regularly in the comics.

Also, given they did make Kate Bishop and Stinger, I'm surprised more Young Avengers haven't been made in Legends under Hasbro. Especially when Hasbro already did Patriot and teen Vision in Marvel Universe.

11 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

As for the question of the thread, I'm floored Mr. Negative hasn't been made. Easy figure to make from existing parts, was a major villain in one of the best-selling games of the year, and is used pretty regularly in the comics.

Also, given they did make Kate Bishop and Stinger, I'm surprised more Young Avengers haven't been made in Legends under Hasbro. Especially when Hasbro already did Patriot and teen Vision in Marvel Universe.

I think it's not far off we do see a Mr. Negative figure, like you say he was a huge part of the video game, and the comics in recent years, and we have seen a 3.75 inch figure of him, I think he is coming quite soon he's an easy to do figure like you say, and could easily be a Gamerverse (which you know is going to be a thing that sticks going forward..expect that) figure or a comic figure, I'm sure they have him waiting in the wings, this would be the only reason why I'd not put him on the list of shocking omissions because I think it's without a doubt he's coming... I mean isn't that what the whole Miami vice Deadpool figure was for... so they can just pop a head and hands on that body.. as for the young avengers.. I think they are waiting for the MCU to slowly start creating that team.. then once they get more publicly relevant to the outsiders they will make them.. we know the avengers going forward will be the Young Avengers

Not sure if it was specified and since so many have covered the comic omissions, my by far biggest omissions are from the MCU:

QUICKSILVER 

Obadiah Stane

Whiplash

Happy Hogan

any combo of Sif and the Warriors Three

these go a long way towards filing some holes

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 3:32 AM, bashpics99 said:

I would put comic Falcon and classic Doc Strange at the top of the list.  I'm kinda surprised Strange didn't get a figure as part of the 80th anniv line. I'm guessing we will see a Falcon figure soon with a wings similar to the recent Vulture figure.

Agree that its odd we haven't received classic Falcon and Dr. Strange. Releasing him without his wings never made any sense. Thought they would follow that up with a corrected version or at least give us his classic red/white wing suit. Really expected to see classic Strange after his last 3 figures and then the movie. Also think its way overdue for the Original Human Torch. I'd add the Sub-Mariner to that, except that his last figure is pretty much the same as his WWII look. Maybe a little less muscle (but not the Byrne version), different trunks. Round it out with first appearance Captain America and you have the 3 major characters that jump started what would become Marvel Comics.

Ms. Marvel, Ultron, Yellowjacket and Kang are all glaring omissions. That just makes no sense to me. Kang's been an Avengers archenemy since (no pun intended) time immemorial. We should have seen Yellowjacket around the time Wasp was released, certainly during the Ant-Man wave. Same thing for the original Ms. Marvel- expected to see her in the Captain Marvel wave. And Ultron...they cant seem to get him right. I think the 4" Marvel Universe was closest.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 6:30 PM, Benn said:

Is Cecilia Reyes somehow more absurd as a super hero/villain name than Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, Bishop, Selene, Trevor Fitzroy, etc.? She's a character in a super hero book, but unlike most of the aforementioned she never really had any interest in being a super hero or involving herself in that drama. She just happens to be a mutant with a useful power, and got wrapped up in it all. And believe it or not, not all collectors are grognards stuck in the bronze age. I'd be all over Armor, Dust, or Pixie. Anole doesn't do much for me, but Cyclops in his Astonishing costume is definitely overdue, and I think Rockslide would likely be an awesome toy. I'd also love to see Hellion done well.

True. Don't forget Kate Bishop. Does she even have a superhero name? LOL just kidding, all, I know she goes by Hawkeye (sometimes).  So yeah nothing wrong with Cecilia as a name,  isn't absurd.

But I am stuck in that bronze age!

kbb.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 6:23 AM, Gigantor said:

"Cecelia Reyes"? That's her superhero name?  

Her superhero name is "Doctor Reyes"!  After all, nobody questions "Doctor Doom".  Then again, there's probably a good reason for that.

I remember somebody writing into the letters page suggesting "Clash" as a good code name for her.  I'm glad they didn't go with that.  I'd have "Rockin' the Casbah" in my head every time I tried to read an X-Men book.

If we're voting, I'd buy her.  Hey, they could use that new Invisible Woman force field effect again.

11 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Her superhero name is "Doctor Reyes"!  After all, nobody questions "Doctor Doom".  Then again, there's probably a good reason for that.

I remember somebody writing into the letters page suggesting "Clash" as a good code name for her.  I'm glad they didn't go with that.  I'd have "Rockin' the Casbah" in my head every time I tried to read an X-Men book.

If we're voting, I'd buy her.  Hey, they could use that new Invisible Woman force field effect again.

I wouldn't mind a Cecelia  figure, though I would prefer Maggott