Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

They've stopped counting for the night:

CURRENT BACKER COUNT: 7,500+

Backer counts will not be updated overnight. We will resume in the morning.

Was this what happened the other night too?

I'm impressed with the part in the livestream where they said there's more ML collectors than those of Star Wars figs.

9 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

"... I don't believe it. It just strikes me as the type of buy-it-now-or-else sense of urgency that businesses are wont to resort to. It's in any toy company's best interest to make the absolute most out of any mold they produce these days. Now that Hasbro actually has the tooling/ molds made for the Sail Barge, Unicron and eventually the Sentinel, it only makes perfect business sense to me that they'd produce them again in some fashion in order to keep making bread..."

Exactly. While we cant predict exactly what Hasbro will/wont do, based on past performance, we can hazard a guess. The SDCC "exclusive" Black Bolt and Gladiator figures weren't so exclusive after all, because they were eventually re-released in stores. Hasbro isn't going to let a mold go to waste, and why should they. How many fans have ranted on this very forum about how they spent money on the Juggernaut or Kingpin BAFs, buying some figures they didn't really want, only to wind up with the entire BAF reproduced later? So its not unreasonable that the Sentinel could see another release sometime years from now.

I'll say it again: I think the Sentinel looks good and is a fine figure. Its not like I'm saying "dont buy it" (not that anyone would give a dmn if I did say it).  I just don't think its worth that price is all.

5 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

They've stopped counting for the night:

CURRENT BACKER COUNT: 7,500+

Backer counts will not be updated overnight. We will resume in the morning.

Was this what happened the other night too?

I'm impressed with the part in the livestream where they said there's more ML collectors than those of Star Wars figs.

I don't think they did this between Friday and Saturday night.  My suspicion is that they thought they were going to hit 8K backers in the wee hours of the morning and A:  Didn't want collectors to get up in arms that the 8K stretch goal wasn't immediately revealed and B:  Didn't want to pay someone overtime to stay up late and update.

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Exactly. While we cant predict exactly what Hasbro will/wont do, based on past performance, we can hazard a guess. The SDCC "exclusive" Black Bolt and Gladiator figures weren't so exclusive after all, because they were eventually re-released in stores. Hasbro isn't going to let a mold go to waste, and why should they. How many fans have ranted on this very forum about how they spent money on the Juggernaut or Kingpin BAFs, buying some figures they didn't really want, only to wind up with the entire BAF reproduced later? So its not unreasonable that the Sentinel could see another release sometime years from now.

I'll say it again: I think the Sentinel looks good and is a fine figure. Its not like I'm saying "dont buy it" (not that anyone would give a dmn if I did say it).  I just don't think its worth that price is all.

Until we see a re-release of a HasLab product specifically, this speculation doesn't seem to quite hold water.  And at this point, my assumption is that the release mechanism would be...another HasLab campaign.    Once they've got a few successful ventures under their belt they could say, do another Sail Barge run.  Less of a minimum number of buyers required, probably a slightly higher price (Because it's always a higher price as time goes on), and MAYBE a different pack-in figure or something.  But I don't think you're ever going to see these on normal retailer websites or on store shelves.

4 hours ago, leokearon said:

At the rate it's going, they'll probably have to reveal add on #3 as well

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

At the rate they're going it might be feasible that they hadn't expected it to get this far this quick and haven't even thought all the add-ons through yet.

I'm pretty sure they know what the first three "stretch goals" are.  The real question is if there's anything past those.  I'm betting that they do stretch goals to at least 10K, but beyond that?  I'd bet they start veering into less tangible additions ("For every 1K more we reveal an upcoming Marvel Legends figure on the next Fan Friday!") etc...  Or extending how many "Marvel Unlimited Online points" you get or something along those lines.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

The problem is where exactly do you think they will re-release it? A Walmart or Target isnt going to want to carry a super expensive big item like this, and if they did they would insist it be an exclusive. If it did get re-released then it likely would be even more difficult to get and maybe even more expensive. Is it possible these things will get re-issued down the road? Sure but its not gonna be any easier to get than here and if anything more expensive not less.

5 hours ago, monron999 said:

I think the bigger lesson is ML sells.

Nah, had it been a Frost Giant, selling for $350, highly doubt it gets funded. A Celestial or Galactus, yeah. It does show that Giant characters of the MU will sell if made right & not on the cheap. That's why instead of wasting plastic on 12" scaled versions of  normal sized characters like DP, Spidey & IM , They shoulda made Army building large characters such as Frost Giants, classic " DOFP" Sentinels & kree Sentries. Included open/closed hands, alternate head sculpt for Frost Giant, weapons FX for Sentinels/Sentry, slapped that $49.99 tag on em & they woulda sold like hotcakes! Makes zero sense to me to make giant sized versions of normal sized characters. Never bought em, never will.

6 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Nah, had it been a Frost Giant, selling for $350, highly doubt it gets funded. A Celestial or Galactus, yeah. It does show that Giant characters of the MU will sell if made right & not on the cheap. That's why instead of wasting plastic on 12" scaled versions of  normal sized characters like DP, Spidey & IM , They shoulda made Army building large characters such as Frost Giants, classic " DOFP" Sentinels & kree Sentries. Included open/closed hands, alternate head sculpt for Frost Giant, weapons FX for Sentinels/Sentry, slapped that $49.99 tag on em & they woulda sold like hotcakes! Makes zero sense to me to make giant sized versions of normal sized characters. Never bought em, never will.

Minus the alternate heads/hands, Hasbro did this during the Marvel Universe line.   They didn't hold up at retail.

8 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Minus the alternate heads/hands, Hasbro did this during the Marvel Universe line.   They didn't hold up at retail.

Sorry, as I said, they went cheap on that Sentinel. Limited articulation & instead of blowing $ on the multiple voice phrases, they should've given it better articulation plus alternate open/closed hands & weapons FX. The buck they chose for it was also too blocky & thick. The 2005 TB Sentinel still blows it away & goes for $200 +.

5 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, as I said, they went cheap on that Sentinel. Limited articulation & instead of blowing $ on the multiple voice phrases, they should've given it better articulation plus alternate open/closed hands & weapons FX. The buck they chose for it was also too blocky & thick. The 2005 TB Sentinel still blows it away & goes for $200 +.

Way to move the goalposts there.

I wasn't talking about the Sentinel though.  Those actually sold reasonably well, but I guess "only" going for double-or-more what they sold for originally ($125 and up, loose/complete) means they're oh-so out of demand?

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Way to move the goalposts there.

I wasn't talking about the Sentinel though.  Those actually sold reasonably well, but I guess "only" going for double-or-more what they sold for originally ($125 and up, loose/complete) means they're oh-so out of demand?

I was specifically talking bout the classic Sentinel though, don't know what large Marvel figures you were talking about, so no, didn't move the goalposts. Of all the larger sized characters in the Marvel universe, the Sentinels are the #1 character brought up when mentioning the X-men's deadliest foes & they are well known for always hunting mutants/metahumans in 3s (triads) or more. So imo, Hasbro has lost tons of $$ by never utilizing on the popularity of the Army building potential of the Sentinels & making a 12'-16' tall line of Army building  classic MK IV "DOFP" Sentinels with minimum of 22 POA, weapons FX, capture bendy cables, open/closed hands & slapping a $49.99-$59.99 price tag on em.   But nah, let's make giant sized Spideys & DPs instead, cuz ya know that everyone was asking for those 2 charatcers  at a foot tall scale.

IMy4Lvk.png

11 minutes ago, JayC said:

Less than 100 to go until they hit 8k. Hopefully at this point they will reveal add-on 2 and 3 at the same time.

I think they are waiting to see if they can break it without showing the tiers. Which is stupid as the extra tiers would make it soar in numbers

5 minutes ago, tarot said:

I think they are waiting to see if they can break it without showing the tiers. Which is stupid as the extra tiers would make it soar in numbers

That depends on what the tiers are, but probably.  Also it's Sunday:  Folks might be off work and not available for the level of updating that needs to be done for a "reveal."

11 minutes ago, tarot said:

Thats what I thought they were gonna do originally but then they showed Master Mold as soon as it broke 6k. Though I wonder if Master Mold was like the big add-on and the remaining 2 aren't nearly as exciting ala a second tentacle

12 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

That depends on what the tiers are, but probably.  Also it's Sunday:  Folks might be off work and not available for the level of updating that needs to be done for a "reveal."

Dwight said on his FB page today for another reveal.