Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

6 hours ago, tarot said:

Just one for me. Will use it for Master Mold and have the older ones are his children. The only problem I have is getting a second Bastion/Prime Sentinel to have a Male Prime Sentinel And Female Prime Sentinel together Bastion. 

But here is another question, Beside Omega Sentinel and Alpha, is there any other unique Sentinel we need?

When I think about comics ot the TV show, it's always the team up against multiple sentinels.  I love the Master Mold head but he would just end up sitting there on my display.  Whereas two would allow for huge battle scenes.  The damaged pieces would be amazing for dismembered parts laying about as well.  I get a little giddy just thinking about it.  😛  Right now I'm sitting on nearly 200 ML and I get tired of setting up standard shelf armies.  These guys would look awesome.

In Mexico the sentinel is being sold on preorder at a local Toystore for $11k (mexican pesos) its a bit on the high price but not too crazy thinking its being imported (in mexico all imported products over $50 carry a 19% import tax fee) that and the shipping costs to import them its not that crazy (specially if you consider the toy store is doing all the work importing the items, and shipping it straight to your house once they get them in their facilities) its good news for people here who want to get it but for me I still think the pricepoint is a bit on the high side to begin with for what it is.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:00 PM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Gigantor: "IM has never been shown to be as tall as Thor who's 6'6...his armors are all form fitting so don't see where he gains all that hgt at."...

…"The Thing shoulda been put on a shorter buck as he is a 6 footer. Maybe in the other countless Marvel Earths, he's a 7 ft giant, but not 616 Earth"...

.."Hawkeye is 6'3, Cap is 6'2. But I'm alright with Clint being depicted as being 6' or 6'1"...

".... Vision also shoulda been on a bit bigger buck as he's 6'3 as well. Beast also was oversized due to Lee drawing him bigger than other previous artists ever did. My preferred version of Mr McCoy is the Perez version, which I hope we get someday soon..."

EUPHORICVIKING: "Comic interpretation of a character varies dramatically from one artist to another..."

...Really we all have our own perfect idea of what the characters should look like and we all are allowed to express our opinions. It’s also important to remember that all Comic book “facts” are based on fictional characters lol."...

Excellent points from both, and I can see both sides. I would say that any helmet on a suit of armor like Iron Man's would have to be bigger than the wearer's head; adding the armor itself, not to mention the necessary thickness of the boots, would have to make Stark taller when the suit's on. Most of the artists over the years however have forgotten/ignored this. I wouldn't see him coming in at Thor's height though.

The original Marvel Handbook was an excellent source for this kind of info on the characters, and its a shame so many people put all that work in, just to have subsequent writers/artists ignore it. The Marvel Legends Thing was great, but it was indeed a bit too tall. The Beast was definitely too big. What I find odd about tomh was it said Hawkeye was 6'3" but never had I seen any picture with him and Cap where he was taller. And here's where we get a bit murky- if one is ok with him being depicted as shorter, others can see the Thing as taller. Its a slippery slope- as ev says, comic interpretation of a character varies dramatically from one artist to another...and this shouldn't be. Here's where some discipline and editor control need to step in. Yes these are fictional characters, but they have established parameters. They look a certain way, they act a certain way, etc. and in order to stay true to the character they need to conform to that. Yes you can make changes, but they need to make sense. Action figures should follow same. Beast shouldn't be Hulk sized when he's always been around 5'11" and 300+ pounds.

Wonder-Man-Beast-Avengers-Marvel-Comics-h1.jpg

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
13 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Excellent points from both, and I can see both sides. I would say that any helmet on a suit of armor like Iron Man's would have to be bigger than the wearer's head; adding the armor itself, not to mention the necessary thickness of the boots, would have to make Stark taller when the suit's on. Most of the artists over the years however have forgotten/ignored this. I wouldn't see him coming in at Thor's height though.

The original Marvel Handbook was an excellent source for this kind of info on the characters, and its a shame so many people put all that work in just so subsequent writers/artists ignore it. The Marvel Legends Thing was great, but it was indeed a bit too tall. The Beast was definitely too big.

Gigantor is one of my favorite people to discuss things with, he is always very civil and keeps it interesting. 

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

The original Marvel Handbook was an excellent source for this kind of info on the characters, and its a shame so many people put all that work in, just to have subsequent writers/artists ignore it. The Marvel Legends Thing was great, but it was indeed a bit too tall. The Beast was definitely too big. What I find odd about tomh was it said Hawkeye was 6'3" but never had I seen any picture with him and Cap where he was taller. And here's where we get a bit murky- if one is ok with him being depicted as shorter, others can see the Thing as taller. Its a slippery slope- as ev says, comic interpretation of a character varies dramatically from one artist to another...and this shouldn't be. Here's where some discipline and editor control need to step in. Yes these are fictional characters, but they have established parameters. They look a certain way, they act a certain way, etc. and in order to stay true to the character they need to conform to that. Yes you can make changes, but they need to make sense. Action figures should follow same. Beast shouldn't be Hulk sized when he's always been around 5'11" and 300+ pounds.

Wonder-Man-Beast-Avengers-Marvel-Comics-h1.jpg

As I said before, Marvel clearly doesn't have editors and no-one at Marvel consults the Handbooks on anything.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
5 hours ago, leokearon said:

As I said before, Marvel clearly doesn't have editors and no-one at Marvel consults the Handbooks on anything.

Lol neither does Hasbro, haha.  Even tho thought they have been getting better about it. they are still not perfect. 

3 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Lol neither does Hasbro, haha.  Even tho thought they have been getting better about it. they are still not perfect. 

Well to be fair, I doubt Hasbro have the Handbooks readily available, Marvel comics on the other hand have no excuse.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
7 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Well to be fair, I doubt Hasbro have the Handbooks readily available, Marvel comics on the other hand have no excuse.

If i have the Handbook, someone at Marvel comics and Hasbro should be referencing them too. 

7 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

If i have the Handbook, someone at Marvel comics and Hasbro should be referencing them too. 

At Marvel comics definitely but they don't and let rubbish like Disassembled and HOM happen. Hasbro on the other hand are probably just given a series of images from Marvel to work with for each figure.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
5 minutes ago, leokearon said:

At Marvel comics definitely but they don't and let rubbish like Disassembled and HOM happen. Hasbro on the other hand are probably just given a series of images from Marvel to work with for each figure.

We will never know 😕

On 7/19/2020 at 10:04 PM, JayC said:

For you readers in Australia, Eddy sends word that the Australian online etailer Zing Pop Culture which appears to be a subsidiary of EBGames is now taking pre-orders for the Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel figure from Hasbro.

The figure there is listed with a $699 price tag, which we are told is a fairly comparable Australian price to the $350 it costs us here in the US on the Haslab website

The pricing is really sad.. 699 AUD is like 500 USD. It really does not make sense why a big markup from a product coming from China which 'distance wise' is much closer to Australia than the USA. The only logic I can see why it is priced higher is the product from China goes to USA then shipped to Australia..this does not make business sense, so what is the reason? anyway it is what it is. If demand is high, the price will remain that high.

32 minutes ago, Bluecomet said:

The pricing is really sad.. 699 AUD is like 500 USD. It really does not make sense why a big markup from a product coming from China which 'distance wise' is much closer to Australia than the USA. The only logic I can see why it is priced higher is the product from China goes to USA then shipped to Australia..this does not make business sense, so what is the reason? anyway it is what it is. If demand is high, the price will remain that high.

I think it's greed, BBTS slapped an extra $200 to Unicron, so they can make some money of it

6 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any warehouses outside the US, so there's definitely often the "from China to USA to somewhere else" surcharge on their products. In this case, since Hasbro is only working with select companies outside the US, it's likely they're having the factory drop-ship to their international partners, but it's also likely that those partners aren't getting any sort of wholesale rate, as the project was designed around a direct-to-consumer fulfillment model. In order for it to be worth participating, the international sellers are adding a surcharge, so they can get a cut of the sale. 30% sounds about right, unfortunately. As a retailer, I certainly wouldn't participate in such an expensive project for less. 40 to 50% would be more sustainable, but it seems unlikely that enough people would be willing to pay $700 USD each on these. If Hasbro would just open a warehouse on each continent to handle these directly, it would be different, but you can't expect international toy vendors to participate without getting a cut.

The best way to look at it is that $350 is the wholesale price, and Hasbro is selling wholesale direct in the US market, but everywhere else has to pay the retail price of $500. The alternative, if people demand that Hasbro costs the next project to incorporate an actual wholesale margin, isn't international purchasers paying $350; it's US customers also having to pay $500.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any warehouses outside the US, so there's definitely often the "from China to USA to somewhere else" surcharge on their products. In this case, since Hasbro is only working with select companies outside the US, it's likely they're having the factory drop-ship to their international partners, but it's also likely that those partners aren't getting any sort of wholesale rate, as the project was designed around a direct-to-consumer fulfillment model. In order for it to be worth participating, the international sellers are adding a surcharge, so they can get a cut of the sale. 30% sounds about right, unfortunately. As a retailer, I certainly wouldn't participate in such an expensive project for less. 40 to 50% would be more sustainable, but it seems unlikely that enough people would be willing to pay $700 USD each on these. If Hasbro would just open a warehouse on each continent to handle these directly, it would be different, but you can't expect international toy vendors to participate without getting a cut.

The best way to look at it is that $350 is the wholesale price, and Hasbro is selling wholesale direct in the US market, but everywhere else has to pay the retail price of $500. The alternative, if people demand that Hasbro costs the next project to incorporate an actual wholesale margin, isn't international purchasers paying $350; it's US customers also having to pay $500.

I seriously doubt Hasbro have no warehouses or distribution centres outside the US, more than likely they have very bad ones. Also I doubt that $350 is a wholesale price, Hasbro are selling this with a profit, they already now how much each Sentinel will cost and they know how much they have to sell and how much it will have to sell in order to make it profitable and the magic number was 6000 units at $350 each, anything after that is just gravy.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

I seriously doubt Hasbro have no warehouses or distribution centres outside the US, more than likely they have very bad ones. Also I doubt that $350 is a wholesale price, Hasbro are selling this with a profit, they already now how much each Sentinel will cost and they know how much they have to sell and how much it will have to sell in order to make it profitable and the magic number was 6000 units at $350 each, anything after that is just gravy.

Manufacturers still make money on wholesale pricing. Nobody would manufacture anything if they didn't. Obviously, Hasbro is making money on these. I think you're actually saying the same thing as me, which is that Hasbro is not charging anybody less than $350. Their international partners are not getting a real "wholesale" price, which would enable them to also charge $350. They're paying $350. So, in order for them to make money, they have to build a margin in on top of that. And if Hasbro is charging them $350, that's effectively the wholesale price. Hasbro isn't going to take less of a cut than that. If international customers throw enough of a fit about this, the logical result will be that for the next project the price-tag in the US will be higher, to allow for a real wholesale cushion, so that they can charge the same price worldwide. It won't lower the international price.

Think of it this way. Legends figures are priced at $20 most places, and Hasbro sells them for that price to consumers through their website, but when they sell to a distributor or retailer they're selling that same figure for around $15. They've worked out the math where they can make money on selling that figure for $15, and let distributors and retailers fight over the remaining few dollars. They're also happy to make more than $15 by selling directly, but that's neither here nor there. They instead sell the army-builders for $15, but only sell them direct through their website. They can do this because they're effectively selling at wholesale direct to consumers, and cutting out their retail partners. For them, it's the same math, just a different sales venue. If an international vendor wanted to buy up a ton of army-builders at $15 with the intention of selling them for $25, they could do it. Hell, Hasbro might even work out a shipping deal with them to get them the figures more easily, but they're not going to give them a better deal than $15 each, even though they're giving the same deal direct to consumers domestically. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here. Hasbro has worked out a deal to ship to a select few international vendors, but they're still ordering at the same price as US customers. There's only one price direct from Hasbro, whether you're a US consumer or an international vendor.

I've shopped for Legends in England, Ireland, France, and Germany. If they had European warehouses to receive product direct from China, those figures would be cheaper. They all have shipping from the US built into their pricing.

I’m swaying on getting a Sentinel, but the cautious man in me says Hasbro saw how easily they made their goal(s) at what in my opinion is overpriced but very awesome toy so they are in their dark lair wringing their hands about how much MORE they could charge for their next project.. 

7 minutes ago, McHogan said:

I’m swaying on getting a Sentinel, but the cautious man in me says Hasbro saw how easily they made their goal(s) at what in my opinion is overpriced but very awesome toy so they are in their dark lair wringing their hands about how much MORE they could charge for their next project.. 

That $350 you're not blowing On 1 figure will get you about 16 new single carded ML figures during the yr or a little less if buying up 2-3-4 packs & deluxe figs.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

My arguement had nothing to do with the physical traits of the characters.  

But i do agree, Norrin Radd should be taller than Captain America, but so should Ironman and Hawkeye, Stark in armor should actually be as tall a Thor. Deapool should be as tall as captain america, if we are going by their recorded heights.  The Thing should be shorter than he is, etc. etc.  

IM has never been shown to be as tall as Thor who's 6'6.  His classic comic based 60s/70s/80s armors are all form fitting so don't see where he gains all that hgt at. Only IM armors that were larger were The space/sea suits & HBIM & Thor buster armors.The Thing shoulda been put on a shorter buck as he is a 6 footer. Maybe in the other countless Marvel Earths, he's a 7 ft giant, but not 616 Earth. Hawkeye is 6'3, Cap is 6'2. But I'm alright with Clint being depicted as being 6' or 6'1. Vision also shoulda been on a bit bigger buck as he's 6'3 as well. Beast also was oversized due to Lee drawing him bigger than other previous artists ever did. My preferred version of Mr McCoy is the Perez version, which I hope we get someday soon.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

That $350 you're not blowing On 1 figure will get you about 16 new single carded ML figures during the yr or a little less if buying up 2-3-4 packs & deluxe figs.

IM has never been shown to be as tall as Thor who's 6'6.  His classic comic based 60s/70s/80s armors are all form fitting so don't see where he gains all that hgt at. Only IM armors that were larger were The space/sea suits & HBIM & Thor buster armors.The Thing shoulda been put on a shorter buck as he is a 6 footer. Maybe in the other countless Marvel Earths, he's a 7 ft giant, but not 616 Earth. Hawkeye is 6'3, Cap is 6'2. But I'm alright with Clint being depicted as being 6' or 6'1. Vision also shoulda been on a bit bigger buck as he's 6'3 as well. Beast also was oversized due to Lee drawing him bigger than other previous artists ever did. My preferred version of Mr McCoy is the Perez version, which I hope we get someday soon.

Yessir, you are correct, that is the same argument I have with myself when I get tempted. My rational self says the $370 ( after tax) could be better spent on many figures.

the geek in me says this Sentinel is this generations  USS Flagg and by god I won’t be jealous of the one kid I knew who owned that monster all over again 😁

43 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Yessir, you are correct, that is the same argument I have with myself when I get tempted. My rational self says the $370 ( after tax) could be better spent on many figures.

the geek in me says this Sentinel is this generations  USS Flagg and by god I won’t be jealous of the one kid I knew who owned that monster all over again 😁

Sorry, I may be in the minority, but no 1 action figure + accessories, is worth $350+. A sentinel is an Army builder and for them to make one so huge & expensive is a huge FU to those of us that have always dreamed of having 3-5-7 Sentinels to bash our X-Men with. But at a more reasonable scale of 16'-20' inches & based on the classic John Byrne DOFP versions. And much more reasonable & affordable price point. Again, had these been classic version & 20' tall & around $150, I'd have purchased a triad in a N.Y.minute. 

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Dude we already talked about a couple days ago.

10 hours ago, Benn said:

Manufacturers still make money on wholesale pricing. Nobody would manufacture anything if they didn't. Obviously, Hasbro is making money on these. I think you're actually saying the same thing as me, which is that Hasbro is not charging anybody less than $350. Their international partners are not getting a real "wholesale" price, which would enable them to also charge $350. They're paying $350. So, in order for them to make money, they have to build a margin in on top of that. And if Hasbro is charging them $350, that's effectively the wholesale price. Hasbro isn't going to take less of a cut than that. If international customers throw enough of a fit about this, the logical result will be that for the next project the price-tag in the US will be higher, to allow for a real wholesale cushion, so that they can charge the same price worldwide. It won't lower the international price.

Think of it this way. Legends figures are priced at $20 most places, and Hasbro sells them for that price to consumers through their website, but when they sell to a distributor or retailer they're selling that same figure for around $15. They've worked out the math where they can make money on selling that figure for $15, and let distributors and retailers fight over the remaining few dollars. They're also happy to make more than $15 by selling directly, but that's neither here nor there. They instead sell the army-builders for $15, but only sell them direct through their website. They can do this because they're effectively selling at wholesale direct to consumers, and cutting out their retail partners. For them, it's the same math, just a different sales venue. If an international vendor wanted to buy up a ton of army-builders at $15 with the intention of selling them for $25, they could do it. Hell, Hasbro might even work out a shipping deal with them to get them the figures more easily, but they're not going to give them a better deal than $15 each, even though they're giving the same deal direct to consumers domestically. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here. Hasbro has worked out a deal to ship to a select few international vendors, but they're still ordering at the same price as US customers. There's only one price direct from Hasbro, whether you're a US consumer or an international vendor.

I've shopped for Legends in England, Ireland, France, and Germany. If they had European warehouses to receive product direct from China, those figures would be cheaper. They all have shipping from the US built into their pricing.

The thing is Hasbro must have European warehouses, but clearly they don't stock Marvel legends or not very well. As I have said on this forum before Marvel legends are the most expensive 6 inch toys you can get here in Ireland and that's mostly down to the biggest toystore here not selling them. But if they do, they can be cheaper than other shops but the distribution is awful.

4 hours ago, leokearon said:

The thing is Hasbro must have European warehouses, but clearly they don't stock Marvel legends or not very well. As I have said on this forum before Marvel legends are the most expensive 6 inch toys you can get here in Ireland and that's mostly down to the biggest toystore here not selling them. But if they do, they can be cheaper than other shops but the distribution is awful.

I was not expecting much on the responses, but I'm glad for everyone's feedback. I'm pretty sure someone overseas can go all out and spend the 500 USD, however if Hasbro wants to 'thank' their international fans for their support all these years, they should do something with the unreasonable marked up price. For the single standard 6 inch figure, the price hike can be bearable which is approximately 25%..but for a high priced figure, adding 25% or more is a lot.

I agree with you leokearon, I can try to find cheaper else where sometimes, but distribution is terrible.