Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

8 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, I may be in the minority, but no 1 action figure + accessories, is worth $350+. A sentinel is an Army builder and for them to make one so huge & expensive is a huge FU to those of us that have always dreamed of having 3-5-7 Sentinels to bash our X-Men with. But at a more reasonable scale of 16'-20' inches & based on the classic John Byrne DOFP versions. And much more reasonable & affordable price point. Again, had these been classic version & 20' tall & around $150, I'd have purchased a triad in a N.Y.minute. 

Believe me, I completely understand where you are coming from. I was in shock when I saw how much they were asking for this beast. A few posts up I commented that since this Sentinel was so easy for Hasbro, their next Legend offering for Haslab they could really stick it to us collectors on price

My dilemma ( I guess this is what it is) is that I can afford the $370, just trying to decide if I should. Haha 

4 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

I was not expecting much on the responses, but I'm glad for everyone's feedback. I'm pretty sure someone overseas can go all out and spend the 500 USD, however if Hasbro wants to 'thank' their international fans for their support all these years, they should do something with the unreasonable marked up price. For the single standard 6 inch figure, the price hike can be bearable which is approximately 25%..but for a high priced figure, adding 25% or more is a lot.

I agree with you leokearon, I can try to find cheaper else where sometimes, but distribution is terrible.

I think calling the distribution terrible is an understatement. It's so bad, you will be lucky for a whole wave to come in, Hasbro seem to love not giving us certain figures.

17 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I think calling the distribution terrible is an understatement. It's so bad, you will be lucky for a whole wave to come in, Hasbro seem to love not giving us certain figures.

At least around here, distribution has been okay with the last couple of waves. There aren't many of them, but they can be found.

• 4 weeks later...

This past Tuesday, with less than a week to go before the campaign for the Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel from Hasbro ended, they announced one last addition with an alternate Tri-Sentienl headsculpt. This would be included with the figure if the project reached 16k backers.

18__scaled_600.jpg
19__scaled_600.jpg

With just over 2 days left have now surpassed that 16k backers benchmark, which means the Tri-Sentinel head is now a guaranteed accessory to be included with the figure. As I type this the project has 16,047 backers.

So just to recap, here is a list of everything that will now be included with the Sentinel for those who choose to plop down the $349.99 needed to buy one.

- 26.3-inch (669 mm) Sentinel figure
- LEDs in the head and chest (2x AAA batteries required, not included)
- Two 18-inch Sentinel “tentacle” accessories
- Marvel Legends 6-inch Bastion figure with 6-Inch alternate Sentinel Prime head
- Marvel Insider Points Redemption code (70,000 points per purchase, limit 2 code redemption per account) & X-Men #14 (1963) digital comic
- Tier 1 UNLOCKED: Marvel Legends Master Mold alternate head accessory
- Tier 2 UNLOCKED: Battle Damaged Head & Hand accessory
- Tier 3 UNLOCKED: Marvel Legends 6-inch Female Prime Sentinel Figure
- Tier 4 UNLOCKED: Tri-Sentinel Head

The project will end at 11:59pm ET on August 24th, 2020. If you haven't backed it already and want to do so, CLICK HERE.

I’ve seen other people talk about this, so I don’t think it’s that unpopular of an opinion, but I don’t think this was a good choice for a Haslab figure. $350 might not be too high a price for a single figure, but being what Sentinels are, army builders, especially with Hasbro giving both the main figure and the smaller figure multiple head sculpts, I think this could easily have been much smaller, anywhere from 16-20”, and sold for about $100 exclusively on Hasbro Pulse like the other army builders. I still feel that Haslab should be saved for characters that require a huge new single figure, like Galactus, Celestials, Living Tribunal, hell even Fin Fang Foom or Giant Man. That’s not even mentioning vehicles, like a Quinjet or the Milano. It has well exceeded its goal, so maybe I’m not in the majority here, but I might have gotten a couple if they were a little smaller and cheaper. With the success of the current project, I am holding out hope for a Galactus in the next couple years or so though. Hopefully it won’t be too much more than $350.

I need to purchase this as I really want a Master Mold to go with my SENTINELS. That is the ONLY reason I'm pulling the trigger on this. I'll be offloading all the extra heads and the female Prime on EBay.  I hope the next project is a Galactus or a giant man or even a smaller figure at a lower price point. 

16 hours ago, Ironspider428 said:

I’ve seen other people talk about this, so I don’t think it’s that unpopular of an opinion, but I don’t think this was a good choice for a Haslab figure. $350 might not be too high a price for a single figure, but being what Sentinels are, army builders, especially with Hasbro giving both the main figure and the smaller figure multiple head sculpts, I think this could easily have been much smaller, anywhere from 16-20”, and sold for about $100 exclusively on Hasbro Pulse like the other army builders. I still feel that Haslab should be saved for characters that require a huge new single figure, like Galactus, Celestials, Living Tribunal, hell even Fin Fang Foom or Giant Man. That’s not even mentioning vehicles, like a Quinjet or the Milano. It has well exceeded its goal, so maybe I’m not in the majority here, but I might have gotten a couple if they were a little smaller and cheaper. With the success of the current project, I am holding out hope for a Galactus in the next couple years or so though. Hopefully it won’t be too much more than $350.

I agree.  I think Hasbro grossly underestimated the market for the Sentinel and that this did not need to be (and should not have been) a HasLab project. It's not clear to me why the Sentinel wouldn't have been viable as a Hasbro Pulse or even as a mass-market release when the Transformers line has (slightly smaller) titan figures (Omega Supreme, Scorponok) as mass-market figures at a $160 MSRP. Even at its existing size, I think they could have sold the Sentinel at $200-250 and sold more units, possibly generating greater total profit.

As it is, they have somewhat tied their hands from ever doing a re-release since that could risk angering people who backed at $350.

18 hours ago, Ironspider428 said:

Well, they did just rerelease the old Marvel universe sentinel that was about 16" maybe a year or two back,, and he was available for msrp for quite awhile and even went on sale a few times. The big complaint about him was that he wasn't big enough (although there were other complaints about articulation, etc).   I don't get was this wasn't a good choice, they easily surpassed their goal and if they were to announce a one-week extension with a new tier at 20,000, I'll bet they would make it.  $350 for a sentinel is too rich for my blood (and i don't think i'd have room for him anyhow) but i can easily see him being the centerpiece for  a collector's x-display.   

And guess what, people are army building this guy, as i've heard multiple collectors buying anywhere from 3-5 of them (although some announce their intention to resell  one or more to try and recoup some of their investment).   I don't think anybody's army-building Galactus so they probably wouldn't sell as many, despite being imo a much more interesting character than any generic Sentinel.   I'm guessing he will be the next ML haslab project though.  I don't think Living Tribunal or the others are popular enough to merit a haslab project,; the haslab projects seem to be reserved for what would be the *ultimate* figure/vehicle within that realm of collectordom. Aside from which, does a guy like Living Tribunal really need a highly articulated figure? He basically just stands around (for the most part, so do the Celestials).  

Honestly I think this is a great choice for a Haslab project, precisely because he is an Army builder. People are buying multiples and Hasbro themselves have said that this set is an Amry Builder set, as not only do you get a Sentinel but you also get Prime Sentinels to build a smaller army. The Marvel Team thought this would be a better option cause they know people would buy Mutliples. Granted some are buying to resell but most are buying for display.

Plus Hasbro knew some people would only buy the one figure as well. That why they included the Mastermold head in it as well as Bastion. 2 unique character people have been asking for and you can use the mastermold for him while the older ones are the standard Sentinels. Throw in the Tri-Sentinel for Spidey fan and the Marvel team shows they know their audience.

There is also the fact that Hasbro did consider Galactus and the likes. However, they said that if they were to do it, it would have to be much larger then the Sentinel and much more expensive, ranging from 500 to 800 dollars. Plus by the sounds of things, with the major success of this project, they have already started planning for the next project, which I suspect will be in 2022 rather next year as these things take time to design.

6 hours ago, ozyx said:

I agree.  I think Hasbro grossly underestimated the market for the Sentinel and that this did not need to be (and should not have been) a HasLab project. It's not clear to me why the Sentinel wouldn't have been viable as a Hasbro Pulse or even as a mass-market release when the Transformers line has (slightly smaller) titan figures (Omega Supreme, Scorponok) as mass-market figures at a $160 MSRP. Even at its existing size, I think they could have sold the Sentinel at $200-250 and sold more units, possibly generating greater total profit.

As it is, they have somewhat tied their hands from ever doing a re-release since that could risk angering people who backed at $350.

Yeah, I still don't see why Hasbro don't do Titan Class sized Marvel Legends, it would make more sense as it would allow more people to buy it. That said the Sentinel was a masterclass in doing a crowdfunding and showed they clearly had learned from the mess that was Unicron. Lower Price and less people, an army builder so people could buy multiples thus making the chance of reaching the goal easier and smartly adding some decent add-ons like the Master Mold head.

Of course they have tied their hands with re-releasing this, as the idea of HasLab is to offer the supporters something unique that generally people would not be able to get and make sure it's a one-time product. So, if you didn't back the project, you are never going to get a chance to get this figure except from a scalper. Which sadly means, the chances of me getting a Bastion is impossible.

This is going to sound awful, but what do you guys think the resale value of this will be?  The sail barge is going for twice the original retail, and that's for JUST the barge (without the tier add-ons).  But that ended at about 4,000 being made, and the sentinel is at least four times that (I'm unclear as to whether the posted totals include, say, Australian preorders)

The reason I ask is the same as others I'm sure.  I REALLY want this, but $350US is a lot to drop on a toy, and buying two in the hopes of selling one to offset the cost a little is a large amount of money to just giveaway for a year.  I'm trying to think of it as an investment, but I don't know what kinda return to expect (if any)

I should just buy one because I want it, and not be a scalper, right?  Saves me from hating myself later...

That the fourth and arguably least exciting tier being easily unlocked makes me think Hasbro misread the room on how many people were interested In a Sentinel. It is shocking that they priced us out of army building 

So we tipped our hands to Hasbro and what we can expect moving forward: 

the next Marvel Legends Haslab exclusive will certainly not be less than the $350 plus they are getting per Sentinel 

Not that they didn’t absolutely pack this figure with incentives.. just that they now see what lengths us insatiable collectors will go to for amazing product 

Hasbro's first Marvel Legends and possibly most successful Haslab Crowdsourcing campaign for the 26.3" tall mutant hunting Sentinel figure came to an end yesterday after optaining 22,542 backers. The original goal was only 6k backers and the fourth and final unlockable tier set for the campaign required only 16k backers.

For those who opted to back the project, you still have a bit of a wait until you will be able to get your hands on this one, as its not slated to start shipping out to folks until Fall 2021. Never-the-less congratulations to the Hasbro Marvel Legends brand team on their accomplishment, and everyone who got one. Hopefully this will open the door to a whole slew of new major Marvel Legends projects in the coming years. Galactus seems to be the fan-favorite for the next figure to be made through Haslab. Of course if they do go that route, the question will be if Hasbro will be willing to go even bigger and give us a figure truly deserving to be called the Devourer Of Worlds?

Haslab-Sentinel-01.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-02.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-03.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-04.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-05.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-06.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-07.jpg

I picked up 2 of them seven hundred 50 something odd dollars if you include the shipping on both , as far as im concerned it was money well spent i dont know why i bought 2 i have no need to army build ill probably give it to my adult son for x-mas next year and he can do with it what he pleases .  The tiers were good but i feel like 2 more tiers in btwn would have been better ... but am happy to get bastion finally and female sentinel as well , nimrod should be here anytime thats a lot of sentinel love for the year ...  hasbro just shut up and take my money , again ..

Sorry, this just proved what I've been saying for quite some time bout Hasbro doing a "Giant characters of the Marvel universe " line of characters that range in the 10" - 24" scale. If over 22,500+ people were willing to fork over $350 for 1 single over sized figure, Imagine how many would have bought 16" scaled classic DOFP Sentinels at retail stores for $59.99-$69.99. or a 22-24' scaled Galactus for $75. A scale accurate 10' tall Sasquatch with alternate heads/ hands for $49.99, 16'  Pym Goliath/ Giantman. Bill Foster Goliath, Orka, Erik Josten Goliath, 10' Champion, Titanium man, Watcher, Stranger. 

They could do a 3 character wave per quarter for a total of 12 "Giant/ large" characters for the yr.