Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

I'm just glad it finally ended. I spent the last 2 weeks fighting off the urge to order a second one. My intention was/is to use this guy as Master Mold. I have 2 of the original MU Sentinels and 2 of the DOFP Sentinels. I also have the original Toybiz BAF and 2 KO's of that one that are actually pretty good, so I've got a pretty decent stable of Sentinel representation. Any more and I simple don't have any shelf space left, especially with the amount of X-Men product that's being put out this year.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, this just proved what I've been saying for quite some time bout Hasbro doing a "Giant characters of the Marvel universe " line of characters that range in the 10" - 24" scale. If over 22,500+ people were willing to fork over $350 for 1 single over sized figure, Imagine how many would have bought 16" scaled classic DOFP Sentinels at retail stores for $59.99-$69.99. or a 22-24' scaled Galactus for $75. A scale accurate 10' tall Sasquatch with alternate heads/ hands for $49.99, 16'  Pym Goliath/ Giantman. Bill Foster Goliath, Orka, Erik Josten Goliath, 10' Champion, Titanium man, Watcher, Stranger. 

They could do a 3 character wave per quarter for a total of 12 "Giant/ large" characters for the yr.

I would agree that they could put something like this together once/year.  But, for me, and many other collectors this was a huge purchase.  Both literally and financially.  And the Sentinel is such an iconic Marvel/X-Men character, there are probably very few others that would generate this level of interest.  Galactus comes to mind but I suspect that, if they wanted to do him justice, he'd be twice as large and cost twice as much.  That said, I wouldn't fork out even more money for another size of Giantman.  I wouldn't pay more for a Sasquatch that's slightly taller than the BAF I already paid plenty for.  The DOFP Sentinels were flawed technically with some design issues--keep in mind these were also up to 50% off multiple times as well.

Honestly, they just hit the nail on the head with this in every way.  And the fact that there won't be 10 times as many of these in circulation is the icing on the cake.  This wasn't about variety, it was about it being sizeable, accurate to original designs that fans grew up with and limited supply.  Take out any one of those factors and it the sales will suffer.

26 minutes ago, Emnems80 said:

Decided to give in and backed it by buying one. Wish Hasbro had added more tiers though. Only one extra added at 16,000 when the number of backers was around 13,000. Seems they could have added more tiers since they ended up with over 22,000 backers.

5,000 of them cam in within the last 24 hours.

4 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Sorry, this just proved what I've been saying for quite some time bout Hasbro doing a "Giant characters of the Marvel universe " line of characters that range in the 10" - 24" scale. If over 22,500+ people were willing to fork over $350 for 1 single over sized figure, Imagine how many would have bought 16" scaled classic DOFP Sentinels at retail stores for $59.99-$69.99. or a 22-24' scaled Galactus for $75. A scale accurate 10' tall Sasquatch with alternate heads/ hands for $49.99, 16'  Pym Goliath/ Giantman. Bill Foster Goliath, Orka, Erik Josten Goliath, 10' Champion, Titanium man, Watcher, Stranger. 

They could do a 3 character wave per quarter for a total of 12 "Giant/ large" characters for the yr.

I wouldn't go that far as to do 12 a year. As I have said countless times, why they haven't done something like the Transformers Titan Class is insane. An annual roughly 2 foot tall character for roughly $150, would make sense and allow them to do quite a few figures and would be easy on people's budget.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

I wouldn't go that far as to do 12 a year. As I have said countless times, why they haven't done something like the Transformers Titan Class is insane. An annual roughly 2 foot tall character for roughly $150, would make sense and allow them to do quite a few figures and would be easy on people's budget.

It took me awhile to decide if I was willing to drop the coin on this, because I DID keep comparing it in my mind to a Transformer Titan.  It seemed like it should be a lot cheaper in comparison.

But then I thought: a Transformer, while made of more parts, is mostly hollow.  A Marvel Legend is solid in the arms and legs.  There's probably a LOT more (expensive) plastic in there...

43 minutes ago, MeGrimlock78 said:

It took me awhile to decide if I was willing to drop the coin on this, because I DID keep comparing it in my mind to a Transformer Titan.  It seemed like it should be a lot cheaper in comparison.

But then I thought: a Transformer, while made of more parts, is mostly hollow.  A Marvel Legend is solid in the arms and legs.  There's probably a LOT more (expensive) plastic in there...

Not really,  the most expensive part of toy production is molding,  so the more parts and engineering needed, the more expensive it is to make, hence the desire to reuse molds and parts. Look at Unicron compared to a standard Titan, it's only 4 inches taller but was nearly 4 times the price.

1 hour ago, Emnems80 said:

And with 24 hours left would have been a perfect time to drop something awesome at a 20,000 tier.

My point is that they didn't have to.  They broke their goal by 6k on the back of the final tier (and people waiting until the last minute).  Since 25% of the total buyers tagged in at the last minute, I'm doubting yet another tier would have made much of a difference.

People got what they paid for with this one...

10 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

I would agree that they could put something like this together once/year.  But, for me, and many other collectors this was a huge purchase.  Both literally and financially.  And the Sentinel is such an iconic Marvel/X-Men character, there are probably very few others that would generate this level of interest.  Galactus comes to mind but I suspect that, if they wanted to do him justice, he'd be twice as large and cost twice as much.  That said, I wouldn't fork out even more money for another size of Giantman.  I wouldn't pay more for a Sasquatch that's slightly taller than the BAF I already paid plenty for.  The DOFP Sentinels were flawed technically with some design issues--keep in mind these were also up to 50% off multiple times as well.

Honestly, they just hit the nail on the head with this in every way.  And the fact that there won't be 10 times as many of these in circulation is the icing on the cake.  This wasn't about variety, it was about it being sizeable, accurate to original designs that fans grew up with and limited supply.  Take out any one of those factors and it the sales will suffer.

By "DOFP" Sentinels, I don't mean the crap "24 phrases,  light up eyes" version. I'm taking bout Hasbro make accurate comic based John Byrne versions in 16" scale.732472365_Sentinelsdays-of-future-past.thumb.png.5c376c6a8d7750250f37380609907858.png

9 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

My point is that they didn't have to.  They broke their goal by 6k on the back of the final tier (and people waiting until the last minute).  Since 25% of the total buyers tagged in at the last minute, I'm doubting yet another tier would have made much of a difference.

People got what they paid for with this one...

Of course they didn't have to. My point was that with that many backers it would have been nice if more tiers were added as a thank you to the fans. It could have been something simple as an extra of each of the prime sentinels. Or a blast effect that would port in the hand the same way as the tentacle.

• 7 months later...

Following yesterday's Hasbro Pulse Fan Fest event, we have new official package images to share with your for last year's Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel figure. Check them out below in our GALLERY.

Now if you missed yesterday's event then you may have missed that they gave us a hint for the next Marvel Legends Haslab project which will be announced later this year.

Haslab-FF-Teaser.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-Package-01.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-Package-02.jpg

Haslab-Sentinel-Package-03.jpg

While Galactus seems like a natural progression for the next HasLab project, I feel like it's too obvious... and if is indeed Galactus, then there are likely far better ways to tease him than the Fantastic Four, which makes me feel like it's more likely to be something like the Fantasticar, Giganto the Mole Monster, or something from the Baxter Building or Yancy Street. However, Galactus would be far more likely to sell and since they're still trying to establish Haslab for Marvel. Of course if the Sentinel was $350, Galactus would almost have to be $400. I'm fortunate enough to have both the original ToyBiz BAF and the larger Hasbro release that they did for the Marvel Universe line, but I'm sure I'd buy a larger scaled version too....  but part of me almost wants something different.

I think this is pretty obviously Galactus. There are other large items collectors want for their collections (Giant-Man, Surtur, the Fantastic Four vehicle), but only certain items would be popular enough to gather enough backers, like Sentinels, Galactus and maybe a really kick ass Frost Giant with multiple heads and attachments and the Warriors Three as a tier add-on (yeah, I’ve given this a lot of thought). Maybe a Celestial would work too, but again, I think this will be Galactus.

Wow, the box art made by Pepe Larraz is a masterpiece itself. This makes it difficult for me to unboxed my HoX wave because they look awesome in mint condition. 

Sad to say, I did not go for the Sentinel because of the price tag....oh well...there is a new one coming up which everyone concluded as Galactus, not sure if this one will be more expensive that the sentinel.

Guys...it's Galactus, ok?  I can't tell you have many times I've seen requests for him here and on numerous other boards, especially since they Sentinel Haslab was revealed.  None of this other vehicle crap is realistic when Hasbro already knows they they can sell tens of thousands of Galactus, even if they jack up the scale and price to $500.  Releasing some obscure vehicle or something, which would in turn means we'd have to wait *another* year or two (at least) for Galactus, would make zero business sense.  

That said, I am so stoked they're finally going to do this and it will be the centerpiece of any ML collection.  I would be amazed if it isn't their most successful project yet.  

3 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

Guys...it's Galactus, ok?  I can't tell you have many times I've seen requests for him here and on numerous other boards, especially since they Sentinel Haslab was revealed.  None of this other vehicle crap is realistic when Hasbro already knows they they can sell tens of thousands of Galactus, even if they jack up the scale and price to $500.  Releasing some obscure vehicle or something, which would in turn means we'd have to wait *another* year or two (at least) for Galactus, would make zero business sense.  

That said, I am so stoked they're finally going to do this and it will be the centerpiece of any ML collection.  I would be amazed if it isn't their most successful project yet.  

yeah the music they played during that clip was a bit ominous too, which also suggests Galactus rather than a Fantasticar.  The only thing they could've done to make it more obvious would be have to shown surfer as well.

and they will have no problem finding sufficient backers for that project. Altho personally i'm fine with my marvel universe version, i'd rather spend the $250 or whatever on other stuff as that is roughly 1/4 of my annual figure budget, plus i just find it difficult to do toy pics with huge figures like that.  But i know a lot of people would be beyond excited to get a huge galactus figure.

6 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

Let me preface by saying I DO believe it's Galactus.

but

But....

BUT..........

I could see a scenario where they try to market the Fantasticar as a test balloon to see how vehicles might sell in the HasLab format, though I think they'd be better off starting with either a Blackbird or Quinjet if they were trying to go that route.

Again, that said, I'm pretty sure it's Galactus.

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

I could see a scenario where they try to market the Fantasticar as a test balloon to see how vehicles might sell in the HasLab format, though I think they'd be better off starting with either a Blackbird or Quinjet if they were trying to go that route.

I like this thinking, but if the idea is to test the vehicle market and feasibility, the Fantasticar is a lot smaller than either of the others. The Fantasticar typically only accommodates the four and has open-tops in almost every iteration, whereas the Blackbird or Quinjet would need to fully envelop the characters and *should* carry more than four.

1 minute ago, RyanDaly said:

I like this thinking, but if the idea is to test the vehicle market and feasibility, the Fantasticar is a lot smaller than either of the others. The Fantasticar typically only accommodates the four and has open-tops in almost every iteration, whereas the Blackbird or Quinjet would need to fully envelop the characters and *should* carry more than four.

Personally if they want to test the vehcile market, why not go smaller and start with something like a SHIELD Flying car, they are generally two seaters.