Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

On 5/9/2021 at 10:43 PM, RoMe00150 said:

Yeah same thing with me. Just for the price(especially in CAD) I'd rather track down toybiz Sentinel since it is easier to army build. But I'd definitely get a haslab Galactus

TB Sentinel goes for an avg of $200 on ebay, still gonna army build them?

edit; correction, TB 2005 BAF Sentinel goes for an avg of $250 after looking it up on ebay last night.

1 hour ago, 1marvelfan said:

these will be ofer 1200 each average, even if you didnt want to keep, smart move is to buy to support haslab, and make a nice profit, use profit to buy marvel stuff you want

I didn't pay the $400 they wanted, be damned if I'm forking over 3x that & only a fool would pay that much for a figure regardless of it's size. Had they done this Sentinel at 20' tall with some BD accessories & priced it at $200, I woulda snagged 3 & possibly 4.

The price seems extremely reasonable to me. There are statues this size that are 3 to 4 times as much, and not nearly as cool. It also includes 2 6" figures, and shipping. I think a lot of consumers have unrealistic expectations of what things should cost, based on what pricing was many years ago. Costs of production have gone up immensely since the days of getting a figure with a comic book and large BAF piece for $8-$10. I totally understand people not wanting to pay that much for a single toy, but I think that we are very much getting our money's worth for the price. 

2 minutes ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

The price seems extremely reasonable to me. There are statues this size that are 3 to 4 times as much, and not nearly as cool. It also includes 2 6" figures, and shipping. I think a lot of consumers have unrealistic expectations of what things should cost, based on what pricing was many years ago. Costs of production have gone up immensely since the days of getting a figure with a comic book and large BAF piece for $8-$10. I totally understand people not wanting to pay that much for a single toy, but I think that we are very much getting our money's worth for the price. 

Meh, for $400, I can get around 16 comic based figs. 

BBTS had to make a mark-up on the $350 they were paying, or else it wouldn't have been worth their participation, and likely also couldn't afford to eat shipping, since they primarily participated as a way to make the project available internationally. I very much doubt they were getting any sort of wholesale rate from Hasbro. They were just buying them at the same rate as everyone else, but offering to ship them worldwide (or close to it). I'm not sure why anyone domestic would have bought through them rather than direct through Haslab, unless they just really particularly wanted to support them. It was $350, shipping included, through Haslab, for anyone in the US (and maybe Canada). Of note, however, sales tax wasn't exactly negligible.

18 hours ago, Benn said:

BBTS had to make a mark-up on the $350 they were paying, or else it wouldn't have been worth their participation, and likely also couldn't afford to eat shipping, since they primarily participated as a way to make the project available internationally. I very much doubt they were getting any sort of wholesale rate from Hasbro. They were just buying them at the same rate as everyone else, but offering to ship them worldwide (or close to it). I'm not sure why anyone domestic would have bought through them rather than direct through Haslab, unless they just really particularly wanted to support them. It was $350, shipping included, through Haslab, for anyone in the US (and maybe Canada). Of note, however, sales tax wasn't exactly negligible.

Don't care how you excuse it. A $150 markup is highway robbery! $500 is what I paid for my 6  3D printed 16' tall Classic Sentinels!

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Don't care how you excuse it. A $150 markup is highway robbery! $500 is what I paid for my 6  3D printed 16' tall Classic Sentinels!

Bully for you.  Given that the Sentinel is now sold out at BBTS, I guess there were plenty of people willing to pay that price (probably international buyers, as Benn points out).  

Wait until they actually start hitting and you see people flipping them for $1000+ (or more) and selling.  Priced a Sail Barge lately?

On 5/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Gigantor said:

TB Sentinel goes for an avg of $200 on ebay, still gonna army build them?

edit; correction, TB 2005 BAF Sentinel goes for an avg of $250 after looking it up on ebay last night.

Probably just one or two. Honestly with my limited shelf space for me an army is like 3-5 figures 

I guess i don't really get why some people are so upset about other people shelling out $350 for a haslab sentinel.  Nobody's forcing you to buy anything and there are other options for sentinels out there if you want one and the haslab version doesn't strike you as a good value, is too much for your budget, etc.  Its just a weird thing to get angry about imo.  

as for me personally, its not only more than i would be willing to spend  but also i just don't think i have room for this guy in my display, nor does his size lend itself to the type of toy photography i tend to do.  But i certainly don't feel the need to belittle others for getting one or call it a ripoff.

And yeah, people will almost surely be able to get back what they paid for this by reselling on ebay... and that will likely only go up as time goes on. Heck you could probably sell the two figures that come with it for a decent chunk of change, and that too will likely only go up as time goes on.

There are some people that seem absolutely convinced that anything on HasLab could totally be sold at retail for two-thirds down to as little as half the price, while ignoring that mass retail has stopped selling action figure items that large long ago (outside of occasionally TRU, but they're gone too).  

Basically they hate the HasLab concept altogether, for whatever reason.  While ignoring that we probably wouldn't be getting those items at all without it.

Kinda like the folks that say we should get rid of BAFs or Exclusives.  Not wanting to grasp (or admit) that a lot of those characters wouldn't get made otherwise...or certainly wouldn't get made for many, many years, if ever.

23 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

There are some people that seem absolutely convinced that anything on HasLab could totally be sold at retail for two-thirds down to as little as half the price, while ignoring that mass retail has stopped selling action figure items that large long ago (outside of occasionally TRU, but they're gone too).  

Basically they hate the HasLab concept altogether, for whatever reason.  While ignoring that we probably wouldn't be getting those items at all without it.

Kinda like the folks that say we should get rid of BAFs or Exclusives.  Not wanting to grasp (or admit) that a lot of those characters wouldn't get made otherwise...or certainly wouldn't get made for many, many years, if ever.

Yeah, the idea that stuff on HasLab will get some sort of general release, shows they haven't read the part that states that these are one of a kind releases.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:48 PM, Gigantor said:

As a retailer who has to consider my margins very carefully to make sure my staff is paid and the lights stay on, I can reliably tell you that $150 is actually a terrible margin on $500, and pretty standard for the toy industry (which subsists entirely on unsustainably low margins for retailers, a big part of why “wahh, why don’t retailers stock enough of anything” and “wahh, why are these toys so expensive” are complaints that are fundamentally at odds with one another; they would stock more if people would pay more). It’s cool that you got bootleg sentinels for cheaper and are happy with them. Apparently you haven’t considered that bootlegs are cheaper because there’s no licensing fee being paid to Marvel, no mark-up being paid to allow retailers to be part of the supply chain, and because amateur craftspeople who sell direct often pay themselves well below minimum wage for the love of the craft. So, yeah, you’re gonna get more for your money with knock-offs. What does that have to do with the pricing of legitimate product?

On 5/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, bashpics99 said:

I guess i don't really get why some people are so upset about other people shelling out $350 for a haslab sentinel. 

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I really don't care how anybody throws away their money . . . it's THEIR money. What bugs me, is that there are now figures that the other 99% of us will never see because Hasbro smells the blood in the water. There's never gonna be a BAF or Deluxe figure of Galactus, a Celestial, or Fin-Fang-Foom as long as HasScam can can count on schmucks to throw money at a ridiculously over sized, over produced, over priced version.

While I'm at it, it kinda bugs me that Hasbro rewards these people with more money than common sense, while the other 99% of us, many of whom were buying Hasbro Marvel Legends back in the post-ToyBiz days, when everyone else was pissed that Hasbro was even MAKING Marvel Legends; are left staring at empty pegs at Walmart.

How about rewarding US, the guys who helped lift your little company out of Mattel's shadow and put you on a pedestal allowing you to even consider making action figures that cost half-a-grand.

There, I've vented. I don't know about you, but I feel better.

1 hour ago, mako said:

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I really don't care how anybody throws away their money . . . it's THEIR money. What bugs me, is that there are now figures that the other 99% of us will never see because Hasbro smells the blood in the water. There's never gonna be a BAF or Deluxe figure of Galactus, a Celestial, or Fin-Fang-Foom as long as HasScam can can count on schmucks to throw money at a ridiculously over sized, over produced, over priced version.

While I'm at it, it kinda bugs me that Hasbro rewards these people with more money than common sense, while the other 99% of us, many of whom were buying Hasbro Marvel Legends back in the post-ToyBiz days, when everyone else was pissed that Hasbro was even MAKING Marvel Legends; are left staring at empty pegs at Walmart.

How about rewarding US, the guys who helped lift your little company out of Mattel's shadow and put you on a pedestal allowing you to even consider making action figures that cost half-a-grand.

There, I've vented. I don't know about you, but I feel better.

Hasbro doesn't reward loyalty. If they did European Transformers fans would have been treated better since 1996.