Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan First Friday Live-Stream Video - Haslab Sentinel Project Revealed

JayC

If your little profile there is accurate, Mako, you're in the US.  You had the same access to the Sentinel as anyone else.  Your unwillingness to pay that much for a toy is your choice, and a valid one, but Hasbro is under no obligation whatsoever to insure "everyone" gets their product, or even "a version" of any given character.  They sell toys for a profit, they don't give them away, and literally no mass retail business on Earth operates in the fashion you seem to think you're entitled to from Hasbro.

Nevermind that Haslab isn't even close to this "cash cow" You think it is.  The Sentinel had 21,898 backers at ~$350 apiece.  That's a grand total of $7,664,300 in revenue.  Out of the $1.72 billion in revenue Hasbro took in last year, that stands as.... roughly 0.0045 percent of Hasbro's revenues last year.  It's practically a rounding error for them.

So this idea that HasLab is some huge profit generator that insures you're never ever, ever going to get the mini-Galactus you want is patently false. What's preventing you from getting what you want are the multitude of people that don't think a Galactus that's undersized based on a handful of appearances  is gonna do it for them.

3 hours ago, Benn said:

As a retailer who has to consider my margins very carefully to make sure my staff is paid and the lights stay on, I can reliably tell you that $150 is actually a terrible margin on $500, and pretty standard for the toy industry (which subsists entirely on unsustainably low margins for retailers, a big part of why “wahh, why don’t retailers stock enough of anything” and “wahh, why are these toys so expensive” are complaints that are fundamentally at odds with one another; they would stock more if people would pay more). It’s cool that you got bootleg sentinels for cheaper and are happy with them. Apparently you haven’t considered that bootlegs are cheaper because there’s no licensing fee being paid to Marvel, no mark-up being paid to allow retailers to be part of the supply chain, and because amateur craftspeople who sell direct often pay themselves well below minimum wage for the love of the craft. So, yeah, you’re gonna get more for your money with knock-offs. What does that have to do with the pricing of legitimate product?

These "Bootleg/Knockoff" classic DOFP Sentinels are way better looking & the exact Sentinels that I & many other classic comic X-man fans have been asking Hasbro to make for the past decade. I find these Just as good , if not better than the "legitimate" product.

bN0yyXm.jpgwJbVPgY.jpg

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

These "Bootleg/Knockoff" classic DOFP Sentinels are way better looking & the exact Sentinels that I & many other classic comic X-man fans have been asking Hasbro to make for the past decade. I find these Just as good , if not better than the "legitimate" product.

bN0yyXm.jpgwJbVPgY.jpg

I mean, that's your entirely subjective opinion and you're entitled to it.

Just like other people are entitled to disagree, or to only prefer official product.  Kind of like how some people are all over third-party Transformers and others don't consider them "real" Transformers.

Though I'd note you pretty much avoided the question that was actually asked in regards to the third-party Sentinels:  What does the price of a third-party toy have to do with the price of an officially licensed product?

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I mean, that's your entirely subjective opinion and you're entitled to it.

Just like other people are entitled to disagree, or to only prefer official product.  Kind of like how some people are all over third-party Transformers and others don't consider them "real" Transformers.

Though I'd note you pretty much avoided the question that was actually asked in regards to the third-party Sentinels:  What does the price of a third-party toy have to do with the price of an officially licensed product?

I don't think I avoided the question but if so, hear ya go,  I'd rather give my hard earned $$ & support to a 3rd party that does it outta love for the character than to a multibillion $$ Corporation that's only gives a flying f#$% about the bottom line....$$$$!

On 5/13/2021 at 7:21 AM, Jmacq1 said:

There are some people that seem absolutely convinced that anything on HasLab could totally be sold at retail for two-thirds down to as little as half the price, while ignoring that mass retail has stopped selling action figure items that large long ago (outside of occasionally TRU, but they're gone too).  

Basically they hate the HasLab concept altogether, for whatever reason.  While ignoring that we probably wouldn't be getting those items at all without it.

Kinda like the folks that say we should get rid of BAFs or Exclusives.  Not wanting to grasp (or admit) that a lot of those characters wouldn't get made otherwise...or certainly wouldn't get made for many, many years, if ever.

Interesting points. I don't know that I'd agree that the Sentinel price is justified; I too think it should have been lower, but I couldn't justify it for myself, so I didn't buy it. I'm glad, though, that they ignored this "if its not movie/tv based we can't make it because it won't sell" nonsense theme that a number of people on this forum seem to have. Clearly it sold exceptionally well at an exceptionally high price during an exceptionally difficult economic time in the country. Kudos and congrats all around.

As for BAFs & exclusives, there are many of us that rarely buy a wave for the BAF, and could buy a decent wave if it had no BAF. I'd never advocate just getting rid of them though. I would back getting rid of exclusives though, until they can fix how awful the performance tends to be. 

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

'm glad, though, that they ignored this "if its not movie/tv based we can't make it because it won't sell" nonsense theme that a number of people on this forum seem to have.

Exactly! And the fact that the Haslab Sentinel sold out at that price range is all the proof you need to know that had Hasbro done a Deluxe classic Sentinel in the 16'' scale with alternate hands & weapons FX & slapped a $69.99 price tag on it for Walmart/Target to carry, it woulda sold out as well as many X-Men/Sentinel fans woulda bought multiples to army build. For yrs I've been saying that Hasbro should push a "Giants of the Marvel universe" line that allows them to make more scale accurate figures of the larger characters in the MU , now that the excuse card is that they can't put figures that big in a clam shell. Sasquatch alone shoulda been a deluxe figure done in his actual 10'' scale with alternate heads & hands. The laughable Kree Sentry figure that they sent over to the Tall Man to skrink down to midget size was a joke! That needed to be done in the 16' scale. Hank Pym's Goliath & Giantman's alter ego's need the 16' treatment as do classic Orca, the cosmic Stranger, Masters of evil Goliath is long over due! A deluxe 12' tall Watcher for the FF line would be cool! Galactus & FFF can be Haslab projects as they might require larger sculpts & that would make fans of those 2 characters happy. But continuing to downsize larger characters to fit em in a BAF wave is a joke & not fair to fans of those characters that want them in their actual comic based hgts.

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Exactly! And the fact that the Haslab Sentinel sold out at that price range is all the proof you need to know that had Hasbro done a Deluxe classic Sentinel in the 16'' scale with alternate hands & weapons FX & slapped a $69.99 price tag on it for Walmart/Target to carry, it woulda sold out as well as many X-Men/Sentinel fans woulda bought multiples to army build. For yrs I've been saying that Hasbro should push a "Giants of the Marvel universe" line that allows them to make more scale accurate figures of the larger characters in the MU , now that the excuse card is that they can't put figures that big in a clam shell. Sasquatch alone shoulda been a deluxe figure done in his actual 10'' scale with alternate heads & hands. The laughable Kree Sentry figure that they sent over to the Tall Man to skrink down to midget size was a joke! That needed to be done in the 16' scale. Hank Pym's Goliath & Giantman's alter ego's need the 16' treatment as do classic Orca, the cosmic Stranger, Masters of evil Goliath is long over due! A deluxe 12' tall Watcher for the FF line would be cool! Galactus & FFF can be Haslab projects as they might require larger sculpts & that would make fans of those 2 characters happy. But continuing to downsize larger characters to fit em in a BAF wave is a joke & not fair to fans of those characters that want them in their actual comic based hgts.

Were you collecting during the Marvel Universe years?

You know, where they tried a couple different ways to market "Giants of the Marvel Universe" and they all failed at retail?

And that included both Galactus and a Sentinel.  So it's not like they went with obscure "big" characters.  A new Fin Fang Foom was planned to be next but the line got scrapped before he made it out.

44 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

You know, where they tried a couple different ways to market "Giants of the Marvel Universe" and they all failed at retail?

Oh, ya mean when they were making giants sized figures of characters that stood 6 ft tall or even less In the comics like Spidey, Deadpool, DD & Wolverine, or the 6'6 characters like Thor & Colossus? Yeah, I remember & bought zero of them.  Where were  Hank Pym's Goliath & Giant man? Where was Orca? Plz don't say "it failed" when all they did was upscale normal sized characters to giant proportions,

On 5/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, Emnems80 said:

Did you ever post a link to where to buy them? I might buy some in the future. And also for other collector's who may be interested.

Sure. his twitter account is @RealDioramax

If you hit up YouTube, a customer called ADP's Geekbox did a video review of his Sentinels that he purchased from them. Or search on YT for "3D printed Sentinels" & his review will pop up & there, he gives you a link to the site. The guy who makes these is very cool & kept in touch with me throughout the entire process, he would send me update pics every month, since I ordered 6 Sentinels, it took him about 8 months to make em. You have the option of getting them unassembled & unpainted & that will cost less. I chose to have em assembled & painted so the price was a bit more, but at least you have those options depending on your budget. He told me I'm only the 4th customer from America to order these from him, the rest have been from Mexico & 1 guy from Spain ordered a set from him.

8 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Sure. his twitter account is @RealDioramax

If you hit up YouTube, a customer called ADP's Geekbox did a video review of his Sentinels that he purchased from them. Or search on YT for "3D printed Sentinels" & his review will pop up & there, he gives you a link to the site. The guy who makes these is very cool & kept in touch with me throughout the entire process, he would send me update pics every month, since I ordered 6 Sentinels, it took him about 8 months to make em. You have the option of getting them unassembled & unpainted & that will cost less. I chose to have em assembled & painted so the price was a bit more, but at least you have those options depending on your budget. He told me I'm only the 4th customer from America to order these from him, the rest have been from Mexico & 1 guy from Spain ordered a set from him.

Awesome, thanks! 👍

On 5/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, Gigantor said:

Oh, ya mean when they were making giants sized figures of characters that stood 6 ft tall or even less In the comics like Spidey, Deadpool, DD & Wolverine, or the 6'6 characters like Thor & Colossus? Yeah, I remember & bought zero of them.  Where were  Hank Pym's Goliath & Giant man? Where was Orca? Plz don't say "it failed" when all they did was upscale normal sized characters to giant proportions,

No, that's not what I was talking about.

I was talking about characters like the Marvel Universe's Frost Giant, Hank Pym Goliath, Bill Foster's Goliath, Giant Man, and a Giant-Man Skrull, who were offered up in the Marvel Universe line as part of a "Gigantic Battles" sub-line at Wal-Mart.  It didn't do well enough to continue after the first two planned assortments.

I was talking about the Masterwork Galactus and Sentinel, both of which ended up getting clearanced out at retail (more so Galactus than the Sentinel, but I got my second Sentinel on clearance).

I'd also note that roughly 22K Sentinels sold (the amount of HasLab Sentinels) would not make for a strong showing at retail.  Even double that number (accounting for folks buying multiples and casual buyers) is probably less than a full production run for a mass-retail product.  So no, the success of the HasLab product is in no way "proof" of anything beyond roughly 22K of the exact HasLab Sentinel Product being able to sell at $350 through the HasLab medium.

When those "giant" sized figs were introduced, the 4' scale MU line was pretty much on the way out as Hasbro was bringing back the 6' scale ML line in 2011' & the "Giant" sized figs were introduced like in 2008-10' period as I remember the bells & whistles Sentinel being shown during the 10' SDCC.  So they probably only had it planned to do that run for 2yrs max. If those figs didn't sell so well, how come they cost a pretty penny today on the secondary market. How come I  can't buy that MU Galactus or Sentinel/Frost Giant for $20 on ebay right now? Why is the re-released Sentinel w/DOFP Logan box set going for $200 if no one cares to buy "Giant" sized Marvel characters?? 

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

When those "giant" sized figs were introduced, the 4' scale MU line was pretty much on the way out as Hasbro was bringing back the 6' scale ML line in 2011' & the "Giant" sized figs were introduced like in 2008-10' period as I remember the bells & whistles Sentinel being shown during the 10' SDCC.  So they probably only had it planned to do that run for 2yrs max. If those figs didn't sell so well, how come they cost a pretty penny today on the secondary market. How come I  can't buy that MU Galactus or Sentinel/Frost Giant for $20 on ebay right now? Why is the re-released Sentinel w/DOFP Logan box set going for $200 if no one cares to buy "Giant" sized Marvel characters?? 

Wow. 

There's too much that's either deliberately disingenuous or just flat-out wrong in that post for me to unpack easily, but I'll just leave it at this:

Secondary market value years after the fact has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an item got clearanced out at retail.  

2 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Wow. 

There's too much that's either deliberately disingenuous or just flat-out wrong in that post for me to unpack easily, but I'll just leave it at this:

Secondary market value years after the fact has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an item got clearanced out at retail.  

Sure buddy. What's "disingenuous/flat out wrong"? If an item got "clearance" & sold at Ross for $20, why pay $100+ for it now? If I didn't wanna pay retail price for something 10yrs ago, I'll be damned if imma 5x that amount for it yrs later. And if it's because that 12yr old back then is 22 now & has the cheddar for it, how bout just re-doing a "Giants of the Marvel universe" deluxe wave now? can just be an initial 3 figure wave that comes out quarterly. 1st three can be:

Classic DOFP Sentinel/alternate hands/weapons FX 16'' tall, 22 POA/automatic Army builder

IMy4Lvk.png

Hank Pym Goliath- 16'' tall, alternate heads/hands

EQ8GfCD.jpgaFNyrhu.jpg

Eric Josten  MOE Goliath 16'' tall - alternate heads/hands

FUA909N.jpgmaqm2Ov.jpg?1

Sentinel/Pym/Josten can utilize the same buck as only the Sentinel would require some new tooling with the head/Boots/gloves. Josten would require boots. Slap a $69.99 tag on em & watch em fly off the shelves.  Plz tell me these would "stagnate" on the shelves as well.

1 minute ago, Gigantor said:

Sure buddy. What's "disingenuous/flat out wrong"? If an item got "clearance" & sold at Ross for $20, why pay $100+ for it now? If I didn't wanna pay retail price for something 10yrs ago, I'll be damned if imma 5x that amount for it yrs later. And if it's because that 12yr old back then is 22 now & has the cheddar for it, how bout just re-doing a "Giants of the Marvel universe" deluxe wave now? can just be an initial 3 figure wave that comes out quarterly. 1st three can be:

Classic DOFP Sentinel/alternate hands/weapons FX 16'' tall, 22 POA/automatic Army builder

IMy4Lvk.png

Hank Pym Goliath- 16'' tall, alternate heads/hands

EQ8GfCD.jpgaFNyrhu.jpg

Eric Josten  MOE Goliath 16'' tall - alternate heads/hands

FUA909N.jpgmaqm2Ov.jpg?1

Sentinel/Pym/Josten can utilize the same buck as only the Sentinel would require some new tooling with the head/Boots/gloves. Josten would require boots. Slap a $69.99 tag on em & watch em fly off the shelves.  Plz tell me these would "stagnate" on the shelves as well.

Ignoring your incomprehensible drivel that completely fails to understand the secondary market:  The Sentinel would probably sell OK.  The other two?  Pegwarmer city unless they're limited run exclusives, because nobody outside of hardcore collectors has the slightest idea who the two Goliaths are, and even a fair number of hardcore collectors either don't give a hoot about them, or would prefer them in alternate guises (Giant Man and Atlas, respectively).

3 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Ignoring your incomprehensible drivel that completely fails to understand the secondary market:  The Sentinel would probably sell OK.  The other two?  Pegwarmer city unless they're limited run exclusives, because nobody outside of hardcore collectors has the slightest idea who the two Goliaths are, and even a fair number of hardcore collectors either don't give a hoot about them, or would prefer them in alternate guises (Giant Man and Atlas, respectively).

Oh, so according to you, even "hard core" Marvel comic based collectors wouldn't give a "Hoot" about getting either Goliath, but they have Thor Cap, classic Ironman, Vision, Hawkeye, Herc, Black Panther, Scarlet witch, QS, Black  Knight, Wasp in their classic Avengers collection, but would skip on a Hank Pym 16' tall Goliath??  And if they're collecting the 80s Zemo led MOE team, they're gonna bypass Eric Josten Goliath? Yeah, sure buddy. As for their "alternate" guises, they can be made in a future wave.  

23 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Oh, so according to you, even "hard core" Marvel comic based collectors wouldn't give a "Hoot" about getting either Goliath, but they have Thor Cap, classic Ironman, Vision, Hawkeye, Herc, Black Panther, Scarlet witch, QS, Black  Knight, Wasp in their classic Avengers collection, but would skip on a Hank Pym 16' tall Goliath??  And if they're collecting the 80s Zemo led MOE team, they're gonna bypass Eric Josten Goliath? Yeah, sure buddy. As for their "alternate" guises, they can be made in a future wave.  

Ugh, really, straw man arguments?

Re-read, with comprehension this time, and get back to me.  Because what I said was that A:  Only Hardcore collectors would have a CHANCE of caring about those two characters, and that B:  SOME Hardcore collectors wouldn't care about those particular variants, and/or would prefer alternate versions of those characters (because ultimately both of those variations are the considerably lesser-known versions of those characters).

But here, I'll sum it up for you nice and simple-like:  Just because YOU want it, and a couple people on an internet forum with a relatively small active user-base "like" your posts and agree with them, does not make it a recipe for retail success, no matter how badly you feel otherwise.  And that's even ignoring the part where Hasbro would have to convince retailers to carry items that take up this much shelf-space in the action figure aisles to begin with (when they already tend to "short" the considerably smaller deluxe/legendary rider assortments from the jump).  Something, I note, you have absolutely no answer for.

12 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Ugh, really, straw man arguments?

Re-read, with comprehension this time, and get back to me.  Because what I said was that A:  Only Hardcore collectors would have a CHANCE of caring about those two characters, and that B:  SOME Hardcore collectors wouldn't care about those particular variants, and/or would prefer alternate versions of those characters (because ultimately both of those variations are the considerably lesser-known versions of those characters).

But here, I'll sum it up for you nice and simple-like:  Just because YOU want it, and a couple people on an internet forum with a relatively small active user-base "like" your posts and agree with them, does not make it a recipe for retail success, no matter how badly you feel otherwise.  And that's even ignoring the part where Hasbro would have to convince retailers to carry items that take up this much shelf-space in the action figure aisles to begin with (when they already tend to "short" the considerably smaller deluxe/legendary rider assortments from the jump).  Something, I note, you have absolutely no answer for.

You guys need to knock it off with the attacking posts. You can state an opinion without attacking, and once the point is made its ok to move on. You dont need to keep going back and fourth especially if you can't do it without getting mad or heated. Consider this a warning and if it continues I will start deleting posts. And that goes for everyone.

3 minutes ago, JayC said:

You guys need to knock it off with the attacking posts. You can state an opinion without attacking, and once the point is made its ok to move on. You dont need to keep going back and fourth especially if you can't do it without getting mad or heated. Consider this a warning and if it continues I will start deleting posts. And that goes for everyone.

Awesome how "I'm the one just posting what large marvel universe characters can be put in a deluxe 'Giants of the MU ' line, but I'm the one ''attacking". 

• 1 month later...
Hasbro's Dwight Stall has released a new in-hand image for the upcoming Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel this time giving us a look at the figure with the alternate Master Mold headsculpt on it. Unfortunately the big chair isn't included.

Last we heard, the Haslab Sentinel was supposed to start shipping out to folks later this month or early next, so for those who backed the project it should be coming fairly soon.

Haslab-Sentinel-Master-Mold.jpg

• 1 month later...
If you backed last year's Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel then you should be getting an email from Hasbro stating that the figure will begin shipping out to folks by the end of September. That likely means most of us won't actually have it in hand until October sometime, but at least we have something official about when to expect it.

The moment you’ve all been waiting for is finally here.

We can officially confirm that the Hasbro Pulse X-Men Legends Marvel’s Sentinel HasLab project will begin shipping starting by end of September 2021.