Mysterious Challengers Emerge To Face Off Against The X-Men In "X Of Swords"

JayC

X OF SWORDS, the next great X-Men crossover, kicks off this September and rages on in October with Chapters 3-11. Over the last few days, the covers for the October chapters were unveiled, and fans got their first look at the X-Men’s newest foes in Pepe Larraz’s cover of X OF SWORDS: STASIS #1. This mysterious group of swordbearers come from the land of Arakko, and the X-Men will have to draw swords of their own to defend the new mutant nation of Krakoa. Arakko and its visitors are shrouded in mystery, and none more so than the group’s leader. While her identity remains classified, her story is sure to shock X-Men fans everywhere.

Spinning directly out of Jonathan Hickman’s X-MEN and Tini Howard’s EXCALIBUR, X OF SWORDS will be a massive mutant milestone that each X-Book will take part in. Every current X-Men writer— Jonathan Hickman, Tini Howard, Gerry Duggan, Benjamin Percy, Ed Brisson, Zeb Wells, Leah Williams, and Vita Ayala— have come together to craft a modern epic that will go down in X-Men history! Joined by incredible artists like Carmen Carnero, Pepe Larraz, R.B. Silva, Viktor Bogdanovic, Matteo Lolli, Mahmud Asrar, Phil Noto, and Rod Reis, the dramatic battles in store for the X-Men will be unforgettable.

Prepare to meet these major new players in the X-Men mythos when X OF SWORDS begins in September!

WOLVERINE #6
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Cover by ADAM KUBERT
X OF SWORDS, PART 3
Descent. Penance. A legendary power reclaimed.

X-FORCE #13
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
X OF SWORDS, PART 4
Stealth. The power within. The burden of knowledge.

MARAUDERS #13
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by MATTEO LOLLI
Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
X OF SWORDS, PART 5
A secret flight. A long journey. A Thief and a Queen.

HELLIONS #5
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art by CARMEN CARNERO
Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
X OF SWORDS, PART 6
Desperation. Help from unexpected places. An advance into the unknown.

NEW MUTANTS #13
Written by ED BRISSON
Art by ROD REIS
Cover BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
X OF SWORDS, PART 7
Diligence. Discipline. A sword of the self.

CABLE #5
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art and Cover by PHIL NOTO
X OF SWORDS, PART 8
A hand held aloft. A mystery in the stars. An ace up the sleeve.

EXCALIBUR #13
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by R.B. SILVA
Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
X OF SWORDS, PART 9
Opposition. Despair. The dark night of the soul.

X-MEN #13
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by MAHMUD ASRAR
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
X OF SWORDS, PART 10
Lessons. Longing. What has begun cannot be undone.

X OF SWORDS: STASIS #1
Written by TINI HOWARD & JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by PEPE LARRAZ & MAHMUD ASRAR
Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
X OF SWORDS, PART 11
A ritual. A parliament. A game begins.

X-Of-Swords.jpg

The Swordbearers of Arakko look pretty cool, but I'm sure their lasting significance will be limited, also I'm sure there will be a cool plot twist when we find out that "Classified" leader of the group turns out to be some fallen X-Man or Villain , regardless it's going to be some one important, like a time traveling daughter of apocalypse

anyways looks cool, but sadly the whole situation we are in has turned me off comic collecting, when Diamond stopped shipping comics to my local store, I saw so many of my fav books (of current) just abruptly end, or get shoved in digital only etc, I'm done for a while until Knull returns any ways, and the thing was I was really into the Excalibur books.. but it's all too much once you lose an issue or two you get disoriented , so I give up

4 hours ago, mako said:

Yeah, sure, whatever. They won't be ending this Krakoa crap anytime soon will they?

Spoken with the disingenuous ignorance we've all come to rely upon. No, they won't, because the storyline has been extremely compelling and is wildly popular.

In any event, the gimmick for this event feels a little corny to me, but those villains look awesome, and I'm a sucker for swords.

2 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

These designs are off the chain but another gimmick I can live without. The whole "X-men with swords" thing is a bit weird to be...they are living weapons. Besides Nightcrawler and Magik who else is capable of wielding a sword adequately? ( oh...maybe Betsy)

Wait, was that bit in the press release just hyperbole, or are they literally gonna be taking up swords? Wasn't that a Star Trek episode?

6 minutes ago, mako said:

Wait, was that bit in the press release just hyperbole, or are they literally gonna be taking up swords? Wasn't that a Star Trek episode?

Yes..every X-men character will be wielding some type of sword to defend their land. HUGE EYE ROLL! 

images (13).jpeg

2 hours ago, Benn said:

Spoken with the disingenuous ignorance we've all come to rely upon. No, they won't, because the storyline has been extremely compelling and is wildly popular.

In any event, the gimmick for this event feels a little corny to me, but those villains look awesome, and I'm a sucker for swords.

If you love swords...this may be the story for you Benn

The name and concept elicit a huge eyeroll from me too, BUT... I'm a sucker for swords, and I trust this creative team. My excitement is purely from a turn-off-my-rational-brain-and-ride-the-fan-wave sort of standpoint. It's honestly like this event was designed for me (X-Men: check, heavy Apocalypse involvement: check, everyone has a sword: CHECK), so why does it seem so cheesy?

Possible SPOILERS!!

After seeing some artwork on another site...I am inclined to believe the leader is the daughter of APOCALYPSE. It also stated that some of these are the original Horsemen. I love the designs...and...their island is a remnant of Krakoa....

Oh no...am I being sucked into a 24 part story arc?

3 hours ago, Benn said:

Yeah, they planted the seeds of the original horsemen in HoX/PoX. It would seem at least one of them didn't make it, though. There's no Pestilence or Famine in the picture above, though presumably "classified" is one or the other.

Or maybe they have taken different names and looks

I'm a bit curious on how the 'swords' concept will work for all the X-men..agree with everyone that Magik, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Silver Samurai, Gorgon,  Betsy Capt brit and Psylocke are the only ones proficient in using the sword. This story arc will be a big investment with the numerous X titles....I use to collect the first 6 titles but cut down due to the recent adds...action figures + comics is too much for my wallet...have to choose which is a priority over the other.

X OF SWORDS HANDBOOK WRITTEN BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & THE OHOTMU TEAM, COVER BY RON LIM

I might just pick it up.

I almost jumped in on the HoX/PoX stuff but pulled back at the last minute. I'm glad they are "fixing" the X-Men. It seemed like it floundered for some time. I've been reading since....uggh...1976 🤯

so they are near and dear to my heart! Dang I'm old.

6 hours ago, mako said:

What's that old saying? "Never bring a knife to an optic blast fight."

Or maybe I'm thinking of: "Sticks and stones won't break my bones, and I've got a healing factor that makes swords and knives useless against me!"

These are all going to be magic swords and there is the Muramasa Blade which (somehow) negates healing factors

7 hours ago, leokearon said:

These are all going to be magic swords and there is the Muramasa Blade which (somehow) negates healing factors

No doubt.

MAGIC swords, Blue Kryptonite, Roby-quartz armor, taking off Wonder Woman's belt, Bionics not working in cold temperatures; you gotta love those equalizing MacGuffins.