Hasbro Fan-First Tuesday Marvel Legends Live-Stream Event - SDCC Exclsuives and X-Men Store Exclusives

JayC

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

Whoa there my friend. There are far too many curves on that thing to be certain that one very small sect of the collector community and Karens worldwide will not be offended, so we must tone down and censor the entire planet for the sensitivities of the minority. I'm choking up lunch here.

I can't tell anymore whether you really don't understand the positions you're always rallying against, or if you're just constantly disingenuously inciting the people who don't. For the millionth time, nobody on the planet is offended by curves. Nobody. Not one person. The problem is with the distinctly male-gaze interpretation of curves that basically reduces the female body to a huge pair of breasts and matching ass, with nothing but sticks in between.

Don't get me wrong, the sculpting on that custom Storm is incredible. The face looks great, the costume looks great, even the legs and arms look great, but there aren't human people with that body, at least naturally occurring. The perfectly circular bowling balls stapled to that chest would snap her waist in half. And that sort of depiction of women really excites some men, but makes most women feel like the medium isn't for them.

I'm a hetero dude, and I love curvy female bodies. I'm also someone who really sees the importance of diversity, so I'd love to see a greater variety of bodytypes (among other things) depicted in comics and in toys. Curves and body variety are great, and should be celebrated! Keeping toys a boys' club by resorting to the same types of hyper-sexualized parodies of female bodies that have plagued most of pop-culure for the last century is not the way to do it.

Hasbro's sculptors are doing an admirable job navigating a landscape where most superheroines have been drawn with huge variation in their proportions, but have mostly fundamentally rested on thin frames. They're preserving those frames and extrapolating relatively reasonable proportions to fit them. Does that mean they're usually erring on the less curvy side of things? Yeah, it does, but they're working with the tools they've got.

The hyperbole surrounding some of these bodies is real too. You want to talk Karens? How about when toys have been made with your fantasies in mind for decades, and now that they're starting not to be, so as to be more inclusive for others, you feel the need to complain to management loudly and often?

34 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

Following up on this, I assume that with regards to exclusives, Target (and WM, etc) limit the portion of the production run that gets put up for preorder, simply because they want a good chunk of the run to make it into stores so that the exclusive can serve its intended purpose as a loss leader.

I'd put money on it.

11 hours ago, Inspection12e said:

she has 4 in the last 3 years.  Mohawk, White and Black 90s and now this one. 

I know you were being hyperbolic but just in case you weren't then NO we haven't gotten more Storms than Deadpool. That's ridiculous. Now could I haven done without a straight repaint of the White Storm into a Black Storm? Yea.

But Deadpool has had how many in the last 3 years?

Sasquatch Wave: 

1) Red Deadpool

2) X-Force Deadpool

Sauron Wave:

3) Boxers Deadpool

4) X-man Deadpool

5) Lady Deadpool

6) Riders Deadpool

Strong Guy:

7) Pirate Deadpool

8 ) Blue Deadpool

9) Ryan Reynolds Deadpool

37 minutes ago, Benn said:

I can't tell anymore whether you really don't understand the positions you're always rallying against, or if you're just constantly disingenuously inciting the people who don't. For the millionth time, nobody on the planet is offended by curves. Nobody. Not one person. The problem is with the distinctly male-gaze interpretation of curves that basically reduces the female body to a huge pair of breasts and matching ass, with nothing but sticks in between.

Don't get me wrong, the sculpting on that custom Storm is incredible. The face looks great, the costume looks great, even the legs and arms look great, but there aren't human people with that body, at least naturally occurring. The perfectly circular bowling balls stapled to that chest would snap her waist in half. And that sort of depiction of women really excites some men, but makes most women feel like the medium isn't for them.

I'm a hetero dude, and I love curvy female bodies. I'm also someone who really sees the importance of diversity, so I'd love to see a greater variety of bodytypes (among other things) depicted in comics and in toys. Curves and body variety are great, and should be celebrated! Keeping toys a boys' club by resorting to the same types of hyper-sexualized parodies of female bodies that have plagued most of pop-culure for the last century is not the way to do it.

Hasbro's sculptors are doing an admirable job navigating a landscape where most superheroines have been drawn with huge variation in their proportions, but have mostly fundamentally rested on thin frames. They're preserving those frames and extrapolating relatively reasonable proportions to fit them. Does that mean they're usually erring on the less curvy side of things? Yeah, it does, but they're working with the tools they've got.

The hyperbole surrounding some of these bodies is real too. You want to talk Karens? How about when toys have been made with your fantasies in mind for decades, and now that they're starting not to be, so as to be more inclusive for others, you feel the need to complain to management loudly and often?

Benn, you have expressed this truth so eloquently and I unreservedly applaud you. 

From your words to people's hearts and minds, I hope. 

Well I have an extra blue Deadpool if anyone needs it!

Also.. Is the wave of X-men re-releases confirmed? I for one would love to see re-releases of Rogue, Cyclops, Dark phoenix, Magneto and Beast. (All heavy hitters!)

With the anniversary of GS X-MEN a new box set would be nice with Havok, Angel, Polaris, Cyclops, COLOSSUS and Marvel Girl.

I'd also love to see a Deadly Genesis two pack with Vulcan and Darwin!

While we are at it...how about a two pack with Leland and Wyngarde?? Or Mastermind and Toad?

That Giant-Sized X-men Storm + Thunderbird is a thing of beauty. I'm glad they went with these capes over the Jim Lee Storm "soft-goods" cape (which tbh looked fairly cheap and actually brought the aesthetics of the figure down). 
I'm glad they gave us two capes. That angry Storm mug with wind-swept hair is badass. Not sure how I feel about the blue Electro-inspired lightning, but I guess we'll see in-person (if I can find her! Hopefully TRU Canada carries this).

I didn't even notice the miscoloured black bands on Storm. Perhaps they'll do a running change with the gold, a blessing in disguise of sorts for those of us who weren't able to secure this two-pack online.

Did anyone else notice all the high heels the women came with? Storm, White Queen, Black Queen. I know people hate them because they're hard to stand, but I personally prefer them for characters who are known to sport heels.

7 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

That Giant-Sized X-men Storm + Thunderbird is a thing of beauty. I'm glad they went with these capes over the supposed "soft-goods" cape that white Storm came with. That thing just did not look good posed.

I didn't even notice the miscoloured black bands on Storm. Perhaps they'll do a running change with the gold, a blessing in disguise of sorts of those of us who weren't able to secure this two-pack.

Did anyone else notice all the high heels the women came with? Storm, White Queen, Black Queen. I know people hate them because they're hard to stand, but I personally prefer them for characters who are known to sport heels.

I did notice the heels. They are a wee bit high on Emma so she will be getting a nice pair of Black cats heels. They are shorter and much easier to stand. Storms heels look good in my opinion. 

Depending on how hard it is to score this set, it might be staying in box. See this is why I didn't want a Hellfire Club SDCC limited-run set lol

Hopefully we get a Morrison-era New X-men Emma, or a Whedon-era Astonishing X-men Emma. I also wish Shaw came shirtless to differentiate him from Pierce, but maybe that's just me 👁️

Some cool behind-the-scenes pics:

storm1.png

storm2.png

storm3.png

storm4.png

This doesn't have anything to do with anything, except it really does, but I was just remembering when I took a break from collecting for a little over a year back in 2012, and basically went back to my movie-buff roots. You know, in all that time, all those blu-rays, and DVDs, I NEVER had anything sell out the instant it went up for sale. There were no scalpers, no @$$-clowns buying two movies so he could open one and keep the other on his wall, it was pretty much all positive all the time. If I DID miss a release, no worries, chances are I'd find it at a Walmart in one of there famous 5.00 dollar bins.

Just saying.

Guys don’t listen to this rhetoric about the “male gaze”. Respectfully men aren’t attracted to stick frames with big chests and butts. We like thick women, skinny ones and everything between. The modeling agencies and Hollywood producer types are usually not typical men. Many are women. Their body standard is MUCH different from ours. What we want is realistic different body types. Cara Dune was sculpted correctly and we all love it. She’s a big muscular chick with big arms and legs and not rail thin but still fit. That’s the one exception that we have to the stick figures they create. Why doesn’t hasbro make body types that aren’t stick figures with flat proportions, just to make things more realistic? This would include bigger legs and midsections and even arms as well. It’s realistic, not every body has abs and a thigh gap with skinny legs and arms. The faces are realistic, now the bodies should be. Goes for males as well. We don’t all have abs and watermelon sized biceps.

8 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I know you were being hyperbolic but just in case you weren't then NO we haven't gotten more Storms than Deadpool. That's ridiculous. Now could I haven done without a straight repaint of the White Storm into a Black Storm? Yea.

But Deadpool has had how many in the last 3 years?

Sasquatch Wave: 

1) Red Deadpool

2) X-Force Deadpool

Sauron Wave:

3) Boxers Deadpool

4) X-man Deadpool

5) Lady Deadpool

6) Riders Deadpool

Strong Guy:

7) Pirate Deadpool

8 ) Blue Deadpool

9) Ryan Reynolds Deadpool

Add 10) retro-carded 80th anniversary Deadpool repaint, and 11) Hit Monkey two-pack Deadpool to this list; plus 12) Juggernaut-wave modern Deadpool was only four years ago.

45 minutes ago, Elektro said:

Guys don’t listen to this rhetoric about the “male gaze”. Respectfully men aren’t attracted to stick frames with big chests and butts. We like thick women, skinny ones and everything between. The modeling agencies and Hollywood producer types are usually not typical men. Many are women. Their body standard is MUCH different from ours. What we want is realistic different body types. Cara Dune was sculpted correctly and we all love it. She’s a big muscular chick with big arms and legs and not rail thin but still fit. That’s the one exception that we have to the stick figures they create. Why doesn’t hasbro make body types that aren’t stick figures with flat proportions, just to make things more realistic? This would include bigger legs and midsections and even arms as well. It’s realistic, not every body has abs and a thigh gap with skinny legs and arms. The faces are realistic, now the bodies should be. Goes for males as well. We don’t all have abs and watermelon sized biceps.

Other than being dismissive of the very real problem of women being excluded from hobbies to satisfy male idealization, nothing about what you're saying contradicts anything I said. If you really believe all that, we're on the same side. That Cara Dune figure is awesome, and I'd love to see more variation in the body types Hasbro uses for ladies in Legends. I covered this above, but part of the issues is the source material. Everyone is used to 99% of superheroines being thin, even if they're sometimes depicted as inhumanly curvy on top of that thin frame. The source material has variance, but not diversity, and people would complain just as loudly, if not more so, if Hasbro started changing characters' frames just to feature a more diverse array of bodies. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with it, but it seems to be where we are.

11 hours ago, Benn said:

Here we go again, my friend. We've gone round and round enough I'm pretty much sure you know exactly where I'm coming from. And for future reference, EVERYTHING I say and do is deliberate. I'm with you about women being all shapes and sizes. My wife is a fitness trainer and she actually resembles Kate Bishop rather than Moonstone, as far as action figure comparisons go. No biggie, she's beautiful either way. What I'm getting at is if Hasbro is going to insist on doing era sensitive characters, as they've been doing much of lately, then they should do them right. As @Atlantis puts it, DO BETTER. It's a perfectly viable and valid statement. One that I'm able to understand where he's coming from, and it's not from a "Gazers" perspective. I don't want to drudge up the "Where did the Moonstone buck go?" argument again, but it's relevant, I think. Think what you want about it, but it has been phased out, and it's pretty apparent, in today's environment, why it was. If you really don't think there's anything to it than stop reading now cuz I'm preaching to the deaf. I was willing to buy into the argument that it maybe just wasn't being used more often because the characters are being drawn more "realistic" (it's a subjective word, but there seems to be only one correct interpretation these days). Even giving them that, if there was any reason to make the Storm character look less "realistic" it was right here. Bigger curves would have been totally appropriate, whether they used the Moonstone buck or other, because that's what she looked like during the era they are trying to portray. I promise, you will never hear me complain about the proportions of the Lee era Storm, because they are accurate for the time. It's clear they specifically and deliberately shrunk parts of this FA Storm figure down (most likely after sculpt approval) just to appease the "where's her organs" crowd that are trying to destroy artists like J. Scott Campbell and Ed Benes, because it looks absolutely ridiculous and apparent that it was altered later. Again, and I know I'm being redundant, but it's necessary in a world where so many people's sole purpose for waking up in the morning is to be offended by anything and everything they don't agree with (ie. Karens), but I'm not saying EVERY female character needs a massive rack or booty, but when it's appropriate, just do it and do it right.

I mean, do you not find the least bit of irony in the fact that most of the people who claim to be the most "inclusive" are so quick to paint a group of fans with a broad brush as Fantasy Gazers without even entertaining the argument they're trying to make before judging them?

2 hours ago, Benn said:

Other than being dismissive of the very real problem of women being excluded from hobbies to satisfy male idealization, nothing about what you're saying contradicts anything I said. If you really believe all that, we're on the same side. That Cara Dune figure is awesome, and I'd love to see more variation in the body types Hasbro uses for ladies in Legends. I covered this above, but part of the issues is the source material. Everyone is used to 99% of superheroines being thin, even if they're sometimes depicted as inhumanly curvy on top of that thin frame. The source material has variance, but not diversity, and people would complain just as loudly, if not more so, if Hasbro started changing characters' frames just to feature a more diverse array of bodies. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with it, but it seems to be where we are.

As far as inclusiveness, it's one of those things that's become such a buzz word and a dog whistle that people insist on building it into areas that don't exactly need it. On the large, male and female tastes are often very different, no matter how much some people love to deny it. Are there girls/women who like or love action figures? Absolutely. Are there boys/men who like dolls? Most definitely. Is the percentage of those groups big enough to change the general direction of a successful franchise? Hell no! You aren't gonna catch Hasbro trying to be "more inclusive to others" by trying to steer My Little Pony to be more friendly to males. No, because they know it won't work. Furthermore, the Bronies that I know personally do not want the line to be changed in that aspect in any way. They like it for what it is and would be upset if they tried to change it too much. Will Mattel ever consider making a Ken based line for boys? No. Not that there aren't people that wouldn't like them or buy them, but the demand for this is in such a minority that it's just not financially in Mattel's best interest to do it. It's just numbers and as much as the Guardians of Society try to deflect from it, it's always gonna be the deciding factor. There's only one determining factor that makes ML any different than those lines I just mentioned and that's Disney. Right now ML is a huge property with a largely successful track record. Right now, Hasbro is kneeling to Disney by taking on of it's best selling franchises and seeing how far they can take it before the fans start to get pissed. The majority of the time, the people complaining about unreal body types and inclusiveness are not even fans of the product. They just live to point out and call out the stuff they don't agree with. They would love nothing more than to see ML crash and burn as to never have to see those unrealistic bodies and impossibly beautiful fantasies on the shelves ever again. Give a Karen enough rope and they will hang us with it. I promise, if and when the fans finally turn on this line it will be because they continue to pander to the wrong side.

I don't want to argue with you. I actually respect that you have such strong convictions, but so do many others on this site. Most are content to keep them to themselves, but I suspect there are a great many of them are also just so afraid of being written of as some kind of "ist" of "phobe" that they're afraid of stating even an innocent observation for fear of it being taken out of context to suite one's desire to be offended.

3 hours ago, Elektro said:

Why doesn’t hasbro make body types that aren’t stick figures with flat proportions, just to make things more realistic? This would include bigger legs and midsections and even arms as well. It’s realistic, not every body has abs and a thigh gap with skinny legs and arms. The faces are realistic, now the bodies should be. Goes for males as well. We don’t all have abs and watermelon sized biceps.

What you're talking about are society's opinions, for better or worse. Is it really on Hasbro to change those? Or it on us, as a society, to change the way we behave? The toy companies, the movie studios, the comic book publishers follow society's lead, not the other way around.

16 hours ago, Benn said:

It went up during the 30 minutes I wasn't actively waiting for it, when I had to pick up my daughter, so I missed it. I feel okay about my odds of finding one at Target while only casually searching. Red Hulk was easy to get.

Yeah, and I hope it's only the initial pre-order that's sold out. Once it's available in the stores I'm hoping we can order it online too.

18 hours ago, Benn said:

It went up during the 30 minutes I wasn't actively waiting for it, when I had to pick up my daughter, so I missed it. I feel okay about my odds of finding one at Target while only casually searching. Red Hulk was easy to get.

Wow, easy to get huh?? I'm glad others didn't have to go through what I did. In my area there are 3 Targets and only one ever got it, and when they did it was maybe 2 figures at most. The hunt went on for months and I was so disgusted by the time I actually did come across one, I just left it there. Ive heard many similar accounts. That's another problem with these exclusives- one region may get a good supply, another may not. I cant figure how Hasbro can make money doing that.

There is a pretty easy solution that Walmart, Target and Walgreens can incorporate to combat bots.

First you should have to have an active registered account to purchase exclusives. They are exclusives so, yeah you have to be an account member.

If you don't want to be an account member then good luck at finding the exclusive in the store. Some are easy and some are near to impossible where I live.

Second limit exclusives to two per account member.

Third is using the captchas. If they really wanted to get dirty, instead of using the letters and numbers  they could use the objects instead or even after this having a slide bar where you have to slide across from left to right to confirm.

If they would incorporate just this it would cut down tremendously on those bots.

I know Hasbro Pulse has started using captchas and it has slowed me down quite a bit even with all my credit card info stored.

We as consumers/collectors can also do our part and go on Instagram, Facebook and even call the service rep and voice your concern but explain to the rep that this is for whoever has to listen to these recordings and you have a concern and suggest on how to fix it. If enough of us do this then Walmart, Target will take notice.

If you haven't done this, I suggest you do. I was able to score two of the Target exclusive Storm/Thunderbird sets within seconds.

I make sure my credit card info and address is up to date and is saved on and in my Target account. I make sure I stayed logged in even after leaving the site. It took me four clicks of my mouse and I was done. If Target had any of the captchas installed I mentioned it could have took me an additional 4-20 seconds.

All I know is that I've had just about enough of this BS. Exclusives, and particularly exclusives that aren't made available in Canada.

A lot has been said about Hasbro's hands being tied, but I don't really buy that. Hold a pre-order, let all the people who want want one reserve one. Hasbro makes them. Problem solved, Collector community happy (or happier at least). 

I take some solace in know that Marvel's design team caught the brunt of fan outrage of Hasbro's. I don't care if they're nice guys; a message needed to be sent, because this has gone too far, and I'm tired of it.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Wow, easy to get huh?? I'm glad others didn't have to go through what I did. In my area there are 3 Targets and only one ever got it, and when they did it was maybe 2 figures at most. The hunt went on for months and I was so disgusted by the time I actually did come across one, I just left it there. Ive heard many similar accounts. That's another problem with these exclusives- one region may get a good supply, another may not. I cant figure how Hasbro can make money doing that.

I just wish they would do the exclusives the way they used to do it. Give a company an exclusive and then release it again in general release with a different paint scheme. Maybe just a little darker color palette. Maybe a few highlights in the hair. Sure, it'll piss off a lot of people that chased the first exclusive, but still they would have a version of the figure that is still considered "exclusive" and the company would make a hell a lot more money reusing a mold and selling a much sought after figure in mass. Win/win for everyone, IMO. I also wasn't able to easily find Red Hulk. Still looking.

1 hour ago, jayjonah said:

There is a pretty easy solution that Walmart, Target and Walgreens can incorporate to combat bots.

This is all true, but they don't have any interest in combatting those bots. In fact, the bots are working hard to advance Target and Walmart's goals. Nothing creates the fear of scarcity like a preorder selling out in a matter of seconds. Big-box stores aren't in the business of customer service. They don't care how your experience was. They want as many people to walk through their doors as often as possible, and they let the numbers take care of themselves. Scarcity is exactly what they want for a collector's line that has garbage margins. They're trying to find the sweet-spot between getting collectors to show up as often as possible, but having them successfully buy low-margin collectibles as rarely as possible. Scarce exclusives are the holy grail of accomplishing those goals. Walgreens spent all of 2019 playing me like a fiddle, and now Target's got plans for me...