Hasbro Fan-First Tuesday Marvel Legends Live-Stream Event - SDCC Exclsuives and X-Men Store Exclusives

JayC

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Thanks. Its really frustrating that anyone is arguing over this concept.

To be clear, nobody is arguing that concept. Nowhere did I say I wanted things not to be accurate, and the responses I've gotten have been baffling. That Storm custom you posted has some beautiful sculpting, but it's not a better figure than the one Hasbro is releasing, which also has some beautiful sculpting. One is probably a little under-presented in the chest (hard to tell from the angles we've seen), and the other is definitely over-presented.

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

The comment that there "aren't human people with that body, at least naturally occurring"....one, there Are. I've seen and dated women like that. Two, there aren't human people with the Hulk or the Thing's body either, but Hasbro is able to depict them as they are in the comics. "Perfectly circular bowling balls stapled to that chest would snap her waist in half"....come on, thats an exaggeration.   "...that sort of depiction of women...makes most women feel like the medium isn't for them".  Ok, that makes sense, but again, we are talking about the figure representing what's in the comics, not real life. So the point is moot. Most male comic book readers, editors and artists don't have bodies anything like the Black Panther's or Namor's. So is the medium not "for us", then?

I think this is where we diverge. Sure, the Hulk and the Thing have bodies that don't exist in real life, but they've been relatively consistently portrayed over the years, so "accurate to the comics" is unambiguous (this is not is a comment related to their heights; just their body types). Storm, and most other female characters, have been depicted wildly differently over the years, so the general call to adapt them faithfully doesn't mean much. Hulk and Thing are also both people who experienced monstrous transformation, and that informs their depictions.

No, Black Panther and Namor's glistening pecs don't mean the medium isn't for men. In fact, they imply just the opposite. Historically, comics have revolved almost entirely around heterosexual male wish fulfillment. The women look like men want them to look, and the men look like they want to look. Only, these days, creators have begun to acknowledge that women do read comics, especially when the books don't pander quite so heavily to men, and in a lot of cases have started to depict women with much more nuance.

So, I 100% want comic accuracy, but given the wildly varying depictions of Marvel ladies, my preference will always be accurate to the books that pander least to teen boy fantasies and focus on more realistic proportions. I do not, for instance, ever want Liefeld "accuracy" on any figure. Costume design, sure, but not anatomy. I know @monron999 is really focused on accuracy by era. That's fine. I'm not. I'd rather Hasbro settle on a body type for each character, that does its best to be accurate without being exclusionary, and then retains consistency between that character's various looks.

Look, when you and @monron999 say you're only interested in accuracy, I believe you. That is clearly not what a lot of people on here are interested in; or at any rate, their ideas about what is "accurate" are wildly disparate from each other, probably based on their preferred era. Either way, I'd love to see a wider diversity of female body-types represented, but chests like that custom Storm or the Moonstone body don't appeal to me, not because of their size, but because they just don't look like breasts, and I'd both 1) rather personally see women's anatomy depicted more accurately; and 2) rather not turn prospective female collectors away by pandering to male wish fulfillment about women.

That latter issue is constantly on my mind, as I'm sure it's clear. I own a tabletop game shop, and I've been a touring musician for 20 years, who has also toyed around with the idea of opening a guitar shop. Tabletop games, guitars, and comics have all been historically been male-dominated hobbies but are becoming increasingly available to women. I am literally constantly confronted by women who are just starting to play D&D or Magic or guitar or whatever else, often in their 20s, 30s, 40s, etc., and the story is always the same. "I always wanted to play, but my brother and his friends made it pretty clear when I was growing up that D&D wasn't for girls", "every time I walk into a guitar shop, the customers stare at me, and the clerk asks if I'm shopping for my boyfriend", "I saw the chainmail bikinis and bowling ball boobs and I knew it was just fot men", etc.

I've been lucky enough to be able to participate for my entire life in hobbies I love, and I want my daughter to have the same luxury. It warms my heart when she asks to play with an obscure Legends character by name, and I don't ever want her to feel shame about that. Dudes have had everything literally made for them throughout all of history. They can get used to realistically-proportioned, and shaped, chests. That's all I care about, and I don't see that that has to be in conflict with calls for accuracy. It should go hand in hand with it, to be honest. It's just in conflict with the narrative that all female Legends these days are stick-thin, flat-chested attempts to ruin everyone's fun because of some imaginary crusade against curves.

I'd also like to point out that I have--contrary to the perceptions posted in several responses--at no point called anyone an 'ist' or really called out anyone in particular. I'm frustrated by the above-referenced narrative, because it is so insanely disingenuous. The line's not perfect, and there definitely should be more body-type variety, but that doesn't mean every woman they make is too "scrawny", and yet that word gets loudly applied to every lady they release. The reason there are comparatively so few female sculpts at Hasbro's disposal is pretty clearly that they make comparatively so few ladies. If they made as many female characters as they do men, they could spring for the same level of variety because each body would have more available uses. But that's its own frustrating problem, also rooted in how heavily this hobby has historically been marketed only to men.

3 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Evidently according to Twitter...we've seen all we're gonna see for now.

What nooooo, that wasn;t even half the stuff we would have seen at SDCC

what about Venom wave!! , I can't wait

and I want to know who won the fan poll!

also Dwight said if SDCC had happened we were going to see PoX/HoX

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

am I the only one that is really curious as to the whereabouts of the information in regards to the Fan Vote figure... I want to know who won, and when we can get it, because I really hope it is Silk and I can get that... I'm still missing a Silk , I need her

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who still remembered that

(From what I've seen on other toy groups, it looks like it'll either be Silk or Sif.)

6 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Evidently according to Twitter...we've seen all we're gonna see for now.

Booo! Other companies are doing SDCC panels and so far all Hasbro Livesteams have shown are exclusives, We need to know what products are coming  to all stores and SDCC is when that happens.

7 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Booo! Other companies are doing SDCC panels and so far all Hasbro Livesteams have shown are exclusives, We need to know what products are coming  to all stores and SDCC is when that happens.

Yeah like it seems that's the lame route to go down Hasbro, as I said above, we would have seen twice the amount of reveals if the Con was still on, so why skimp now.. other companies like you have said are doing reveal/con showcasing all the alotted days the con would have been on...that's BS, like I said earlier dwight even said we'd be seeing Hox/Pox figures.. so now you are just withholding all that

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah like it seems that's the lame route to go down Hasbro, as I said above, we would have seen twice the amount of reveals if the Con was still on, so why skimp now.. other companies like you have said are doing reveal/con showcasing all the alotted days the con would have been on...that's BS, like I said earlier dwight even said we'd be seeing Hox/Pox figures.. so now you are just withholding all that

spacer.png

Yeah especially when back at ToyFair they said they can only revealed about 60% of this years products

31 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Yeah especially when back at ToyFair they said they can only revealed about 60% of this years products

I am trully surprised we are not having a virtual legends panel, I would have expected that, as I imagine we all were, there is certainly a fair share of product we should be getting further down the road this year, we know at least the Venom wave, Gamerverse 2 wave, plus the Rogue (w/Pyro?) , I know there has to be some more waves, Spider-Man? wave at least, we know Eternals is postponed , but what about the alleged other Dr. Doom? Silver Centurian? , what is a better time to show us, then the time during a normal year you would?

I really think Hasbro's plan this year was to drag reveals out, spoiling them a few at a time to keep people excited throughout the pandemic, rather than dropping them all at once like they normally would. No doubt the movie production delays also delayed some waves, and thus some wave announcements, but I think they were trying to keep up momentum during a tough time and just underestimated how much people like seeing the big announcement all at once. They've spoiled a lot more over the last few months than just the X-Men stuff on Tuesday, and normally there's a pretty severe information drought between Toy Fair and SDCC. I would expect to see Venom stuff, Gamerverse 2, and Rogue's set within the next few weeks, and probably at least a Spider-Man wave and Dawn of X shortly thereafter.

3 hours ago, Benn said:

I really think Hasbro's plan this year was to drag reveals out, spoiling them a few at a time to keep people excited throughout the pandemic, rather than dropping them all at once like they normally would. No doubt the movie production delays also delayed some waves, and thus some wave announcements, but I think they were trying to keep up momentum during a tough time and just underestimated how much people like seeing the big announcement all at once. They've spoiled a lot more over the last few months than just the X-Men stuff on Tuesday, and normally there's a pretty severe information drought between Toy Fair and SDCC. I would expect to see Venom stuff, Gamerverse 2, and Rogue's set within the next few weeks, and probably at least a Spider-Man wave and Dawn of X shortly thereafter.

Small reveals are all well and good, but Hasbro should have realised even though it is virtual, this is Comic Con, so fans would be expecting big reveals on the rest of the year's (and maybe hints of next years stuff)

On 7/30/2020 at 2:59 AM, leokearon said:

It would add a bit more colour. I'm just happy it isn't just a recoloured swimsuit

On 7/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, enzosaurusrex said:

I didn't read the Uncanny X-Force run but I honestly would've preferred this costume:

spacer.png

Agreed.  I would have liked this costume, too, but I'm happy with the one we're getting.

• 4 weeks later...