Jump to content
JayC

2020 SDCC - DST Marvel Select 9.75" Rampaging Hulk Figure Announced

Recommended Posts

On 7/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, McHogan said:

Yes! Re-release the Watcher... I had this guy in hand but balked at the $27ish cost, Legends at the time were around $12-$14 so in my mind he was way overpriced. Who knew he would have blown up on the secondary market.

A few years later Entertainment Earth had a pre-order for him but inexplicably canceled it. Well I guess DST canceled the re-release but that’s  twice I essentially had him in hand only to miss out. 

Wanted Uatu for my Marvel Universe collection originally, figured he scaled better since for years he has been drawn as 20’ tall..

who knows, if there is another FF wave we could get an official Legends Watcher BAF

Story goes that Marvel gave the order to cancel it because Fox had the rights to the Watcher and Marvel Entertainment didnt want to promote anything they didn't have the rights to. Pearlmuter I believe was the mastermind behind all of that. As for the Hulk it looks good but  I'm happy with my 80th Anniversary Hulk and I already have a plethora of Hulk figures. Now, the Cosmic Hulk alternate head makes it very tempting but I'm sure if I'm patient Hasbro will release a Cosmic Hulk down the line maybe for the Eternals movie line, no way they don't milk that mold for all its worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Not a bad looking hulk at all. 
I’ll grab just to compare.

09BFD173-3AFC-4FF4-A03D-724832F70162.jpeg

I like that a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks good, but I still think the Legends one looks better. The articulation also looks good on this, especially for a Select.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PatoArmenta said:

Oh man, I was really hoping for butterfly joints. Guess I'll stick with the Hulk 2 pack.

I get the butterfly joint argument but its functionality is rather minimal. It doesn’t afford him any ranger moving forward and isn’t sculpted. This one looks like it may afford better range going forward rather than allowing for a big wind up punch. If the articulation on this hulk afford deep range it may end up being a more functional hulk. To be determined lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really looks pretty much exactly like the Legends figure, except for like a different head sculpt situation and knees, but really they could be interchangeable, very easy pass , but it does look extremely good , this will be every one who didn't want to buy a 2 pack or an exclusive's Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm definitely getting this! It will be my first Marvel Select figure in a long time! I've got Uatu, Mephisto and a couple of the Brood Skrull 2-pack army builders. I think the only one I've ever bought was the Disney exclusive Hawkeye just so I could get Lucky the Pizza Dog!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good looking comic hulk..glad it has interchangeable hands..passed up on the legends 2 pack because you are just buying hulk for that..glad i did and this came along 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks Excellent. This figure seems to have improved on the 2 main problems with the Marvel Legends 80th Hulk; The undersized feet and the shoulders protruding out too far from the torso.  This figure looks much better than the Marvel legends one in these images but sometimes it's difficult to tell for certain until you get one in your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Diamond Select, you surprised me.

I wasn't expecting much from them, based on the cartoon drawing they showed. While some of DST's sculpts are great (including Colossus, Hulkbuster, Groot), their previous Hulks looked like veiny, out-of-proportion zombies.

But I like this one a lot. My first thought was that it looks just like the Legends 80th Hulk but with a more expressive head. It's even the exact same shade of green. But I'm a huge fan of the Legends 80th Hulk. So I'm sure I'll get this one too.

As for the butterfly joint discussion, I'm glad they didn't add it. A butterfly joint allowing front/forward movement messes up the sculpt. Just look at the gappy Figuarts Hulk. I think if a large figure has butterfly joints, then doing what Hasbro did with the Legends 80th Hulk is the way to go -- just put it on the back. Sacrificing the chest sculpt to add a joint I'll rarely use doesn't make sense IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, bashpics99 said:

Yeah, might've been interested in this had it come out *before* 80th anniversary ML Hulk.  How about re-releasing Uatu or Mephisto, DST?

This this 1000 times this!! Why have they not rereleased those two figures? I'm glad to have them but after market prices are outrageous!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JbombTheGreat said:

This looks Excellent. This figure seems to have improved on the 2 main problems with the Marvel Legends 80th Hulk; The undersized feet and the shoulders protruding out too far from the torso.  This figure looks much better than the Marvel legends one in these images but sometimes it's difficult to tell for certain until you get one in your hands.

And don't forget it's also close to 2 inches taller than the already oversized 80th anniversary  version. Why they couldn't do him at about 7.5 scale is beyond me but at least I can deal with him at an 8' scale but at almost 10' scale, he'd be bigger than a character that's supposed to tower over him...Sasquatch. That's the character that DST needs to do in this line at a scale correct 10 inches, not more umpteenth Hulks, especially one, hardly anyone was clamoring for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gigantor said:

And don't forget it's also close to 2 inches taller than the already oversized 80th anniversary  version. Why they couldn't do him at about 7.5 scale is beyond me but at least I can deal with him at an 8' scale but at almost 10' scale, he'd be bigger than a character that's supposed to tower over him...Sasquatch. That's the character that DST needs to do in this line at a scale correct 10 inches, not more umpteenth Hulks, especially one, hardly anyone was clamoring for.

I'd be the first one in line for a DST Sasquatch done at the correct scale (10"). They could do it too because that's the height of the DST Groot. Although Sasquatch should be much broader obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm I dunno. Compared to the legends it looks very jointy and the arms look overly long. 

Wish it came with a more neutral face too - I always find it annoying when Hulks just come with shouty faces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gigantor said:

And don't forget it's also close to 2 inches taller than the already oversized 80th anniversary  version. Why they couldn't do him at about 7.5 scale is beyond me but at least I can deal with him at an 8' scale but at almost 10' scale, he'd be bigger than a character that's supposed to tower over him...Sasquatch. That's the character that DST needs to do in this line at a scale correct 10 inches, not more umpteenth Hulks, especially one, hardly anyone was clamoring for.

The legends height is 8 and 1/2 inches, this one is going to be 9 and a 1/2 inches. Only one inch taller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

The legends height is 8 and 1/2 inches, this one is going to be 9 and a 1/2 inches. Only one inch taller.

Still taller/bigger than the already oversized ML version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Still taller/bigger than the already oversized ML version. 

it's not that much bigger and hulks height can be hidden in posing pretty easily. They are also a 7" line and not made to fit with Legends although many collectors (I myself included) like to fudge them in with my legends. Diamond Selects are generally sold at comic shops and Disney stores which can change the consumer demographics. The nice thing about producing a Classic/Iconic version of a character is it can appeal to anyone. Whether you are a Huge toy collector that just likes cool toys or a first time figure buyer that likes the way it looks. 

Legends Collectors: I don't need another hulk, it's out of scale anyways.

Action Figure Collector: That looks like a cool Figure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

it's not that much bigger and hulks height can be hidden in posing pretty easily. They are also a 7" line and not made to fit with Legends although many collectors (I myself included) like to fudge them in with my legends. Diamond Selects are generally sold at comic shops and Disney stores which can change the consumer demographics. The nice thing about producing a Classic/Iconic version of a character is it can appeal to anyone. Whether you are a Huge toy collector that just likes cool toys or a first time figure buyer that likes the way it looks. 

Legends Collectors: I don't need another hulk, it's out of scale anyways.

Action Figure Collector: That looks like a cool Figure.  

I fall in the "Legends collector" category  as that is the only line of figs I collect. I don't have the abundance of funds that some people have that they can collect 4-5-6 different lines. And it makes no sense to me to buy a larger outta scale figure to then try & "fudge" him in different poses just to make him fit with ML figs, that's a waste of $$ imo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I fall in the "Legends collector" category  as that is the only line of figs I collect. I don't have the abundance of funds that some people have that they can collect 4-5-6 different lines. And it makes no sense to me to buy a larger outta scale figure to then try & "fudge" him in different poses just to make him fit with ML figs, that's a waste of $$ imo.  

Understandable, Some people like a taller hulk as he sometime is drawn by different Artist. This one looks like they were trying for McGuiness art. some people didn't want to pay $50.00 for a loose hulk out of a two pack that was $60. This one looks like a great figure and seeing figures in person always help me make a better decision before purchase. it's possible they list him as 9.5 but only on his tippy toes?? Plus I have room in my office for a Hulk and this might work.  Again this is not an ML, this is MS which is a 7" scale line and fits in scale with it's own line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really a Select collector but man they sure do know how to make big figures, I will definitely get this Hulk which to me looks a little better then the Legends one and is a larger figure as well. The alternative"cyborg" head is real nice, might have to display with him holding that head!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE