Arch Enemy 2-Packs you would like to see

RyanDaly

10 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

How about a 90s throwback? Sleepwalker vs 8 ball

20200815_065208.jpg

I have been wishing for the day we finally get a Sleepwalker figure, and to get him with 8-Ball... man

this is hands down a pack I'd pay scalper prices for

7 hours ago, leokearon said:

Toy Biz did a movie 2 pack with Rogue and Logan where the special feature was that Logan could stab Rogue

I had not heard about that, that is both amazing and disturbing haha

edit: yup here it is... my mind is just stunned, not sure if this is awesome or something ... else.

fun fact, according to the review where I found this pic, the 2 pack retailed for $14.99. 

Well whatever this set is, I think we can all agree you would not see a set like this released today

F2E71989-E01D-4DE9-8C8C-90FD339CF710.jpeg

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

I had not heard about that, that is both amazing and disturbing haha

edit: yup here it is... my mind is just stunned, not sure if this is awesome or something ... else.

fun fact, according to the review where I found this pic, the 2 pack retailed for $14.99. 

Well whatever this set is, I think we can all agree you would not see a set like this released today

F2E71989-E01D-4DE9-8C8C-90FD339CF710.jpeg

I remembering seeing that back when it was released and wondering how the got away with it

28 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

What's the big whoop, it was a scene from the movie. Geez, this country has gotten softer than melting ice-cream these past 20yrs.

Yeah, they gave an action figure of a character that stabs people a stabbing action.  ...With someone that he stabbed.  I don't see the controversy.  I had this toy, and it was awesome.  Although I must have been 17 or 18 at the time.  I doubt my mother would have bought it for Christmas for a six-year-old me since she took my Punisher comics away from me when I was nine.

8 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Yeah, they gave an action figure of a character that stabs people and stabbing action.  With someone that he stabbed.  I don't see the controversy.  I had this toy, and it was awesome.  Although I must have been 17 or 18 at the time.  I doubt my mother would have bought it for Christmas for a six-year-old me since she took my Punisher comics away from me when I was nine.

Punisher comics were no where as savage/graphic back then as they are now. Hope she just put em in storage & not throw them away. She mighta gotten rid of some that are worth some $$ now.

1 hour ago, MonsterChris said:

Yeah, they gave an action figure of a character that stabs people a stabbing action.  ...With someone that he stabbed.  I don't see the controversy.  I had this toy, and it was awesome.  Although I must have been 17 or 18 at the time.  I doubt my mother would have bought it for Christmas for a six-year-old me since she took my Punisher comics away from me when I was nine.

You should see the controversy based on your own statement. Your mother clearly would not have found this toy appropriate for you as a child, therefore it should not be considered appropriate for children. Kids see tons of toys in the toy aisles, and sometimes without context. There's no guarantee every child who looked at that toy, or even got that toy saw the movie. All they see is a man, billed as the hero of the movie, stabbing what appears to be a teenage girl. Really, you don't see how some people might have even a tiny problem with that? No controversy at all...?

8 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

You should see the controversy based on your own statement. Your mother clearly would not have found this toy appropriate for you as a child, therefore it should not be considered appropriate for children. Kids see tons of toys in the toy aisles, and sometimes without context. There's no guarantee every child who looked at that toy, or even got that toy saw the movie. All they see is a man, billed as the hero of the movie, stabbing what appears to be a teenage girl. Really, you don't see how some people might have even a tiny problem with that? No controversy at all...?

C'mon dude, that was 2 decades ago. Obviously no one had an issue with it back then. 20 yrs ago, we weren't "offended" so easily as today's generation is.

While I agree a set designed to have one toy stab another is an odd one and would not be made today I also think it’s kind of hilarious that a toy company put this out. I’m not offended, in fact to me this is an amazing curiosity of a time when some exec gave it the green light. 

Toy history is full of items that someone  thought was a good idea that in hind sight could have benefited from better judgement. The fact that I’ve never seen this box set or have ever heard if it was recalled makes me think parents didn’t give two craps that a toy recreated a scene from a movie. My comments on this toy would never be produced now is because people find outrage everywhere and toy companies are more aware of how a toy with “stabbing teenage girl action” could cause the easily offended to declare that Hasbro should close their doors forever for doing something so horrible.

that anyone would get upset about a toy that released decades ago is beyond me. Remember Jarts? Literally giant darts that kids threw into the air hoping to hit a tiny target that their friends stood around ? I mean this toy killed people, that’s a good place to direct some of this righteous anger. 

This set is from a different era, not an excuse but things were different, certainly not worth the fuss today

If I remember correctly...and I'm not sure I do..but this toy did cause some backlash even back then. It made the top 10 in "inappropriate" toys with certain "moms" being outraged. Blah blah blah!

Luckily I'm a "dad" and bought it for my kid and myself. It's a scene from the movie. No big whoop!

17 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Well, I don't think the onus for making sure children are exposed to safe and appropriate material should be on toy designers or even retailers, really.  That might have been a reasonable enough expectation in 1965 or maybe even 1985, but the consumer demographic has shifted significantly since then.  Beavis and Butthead caught a lot of flack back in the day because it wasn't appropriate for children.  But the thing is, nobody ever said it was.  There was an assumption that it would or should be child-friendly because of its format as an animated series.  In my opinion, that assumption was unreasonable based on the time  and other contemporary animation that was also not appropriate for children.

Then there's the context of the toy.  I was born in 1981 and grew up playing with toy guns and knives.  That was pretty typical among all of the other kids I played with.  We had cap guns.  I had a sweet pump action rifle that didn't actually shoot anything, but made a noise and gave a kick every time.  My cousin had a little plastic knife where the blade would slide up into the handle if you pushed it into someone to simulate stabbing them.  The knife had the Tom & Jerry Show logo and both of the characters on the handle.  All of my G.I. Joes had guns and knives and they shot and stabbed each other all day long.

Then, in the early 90s (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the year this morning) there was that Deadpool figure from Toybiz that totally came with a stabbing action.  I don't know if anyone else had him, but the blade of his dagger slid up into his hand to simulate stabbing people.  This would be 10-ish (?) years before the Logan/Rogue 2-pack.  And my mom may have taken away my Punisher comics, but she definitely bought me that one.  I know it's anecdotal, but maybe still worth mentioning that, even having grown up with all of these admittedly violent toys, I almost never stab or shoot people in real life.

Anyway...I wasn't trying to imply that I think that Rogue/Logan 2-pack toy is appropriate for children.  That's going to be an argument with some pretty strong opinions on either side and one I wouldn't care to get into in the internet.  Plus, I don't have children and don't really care.  I only meant to say that, in its proper context ca. 2000, they toy is admittedly goofy but not really anachronistic with its level of violence.

18 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Punisher comics were no where as savage/graphic back then as they are now. Hope she just put em in storage & not throw them away. She mighta gotten rid of some that are worth some $$ now.

Don't worry.  I found them in her closet a year or so later and quietly stole them back. 

1 hour ago, MonsterChris said:

Well, I don't think the onus for making sure children are exposed to safe and appropriate material should be on toy designers or even retailers, really.  That might have been a reasonable enough expectation in 1965 or maybe even 1985, but the consumer demographic has shifted significantly since then.  Beavis and Butthead caught a lot of flack back in the day because it wasn't appropriate for children.  But the thing is, nobody ever said it was.  There was an assumption that it would or should be child-friendly because of its format as an animated series.  In my opinion, that assumption was unreasonable based on the time  and other contemporary animation that was also not appropriate for children.

Then there's the context of the toy.  I was born in 1981 and grew up playing with toy guns and knives.  That was pretty typical among all of the other kids I played with.  We had cap guns.  I had a sweet pump action rifle that didn't actually shoot anything, but made a noise and gave a kick every time.  My cousin had a little plastic knife where the blade would slide up into the handle if you pushed it into someone to simulate stabbing them.  The knife had the Tom & Jerry Show logo and both of the characters on the handle.  All of my G.I. Joes had guns and knives and they shot and stabbed each other all day long.

Then, in the early 90s (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the year this morning) there was that Deadpool figure from Toybiz that totally came with a stabbing action.  I don't know if anyone else had him, but the blade of his dagger slid up into his hand to simulate stabbing people.  This would be 10-ish (?) years before the Logan/Rogue 2-pack.  And my mom may have taken away my Punisher comics, but she definitely bought me that one.  I know it's anecdotal, but maybe still worth mentioning that, even having grown up with all of these admittedly violent toys, I almost never stab or shoot people in real life.

Anyway...I wasn't trying to imply that I think that Rogue/Logan 2-pack toy is appropriate for children.  That's going to be an argument with some pretty strong opinions on either side and one I wouldn't care to get into in the internet.  Plus, I don't have children and don't really care.  I only meant to say that, in its proper context ca. 2000, they toy is admittedly goofy but not really anachronistic with its level of violence.

I was born in '81 as well, and maybe I sound like a hypocrite now because I grew up with those same toys. I loved action figures with weapons and violence (and I remember the Deadpool toy you're talking about; I think I got him in a Sears holiday catalogue 4-pack with Cable, Strife, and Fourarm). And G.I.Joe was my jam for a decade. I'm sure I would have been excited if they made a two-pack that featured Snake Eyes being able to stab his katana into another figure...

But the thing is, as much as little kid me might have liked that toy, even I would have been... confused... by Snake Eyes stabbing Recondo or Lady Jaye or one of his fellow  Joes. That's the part I find most bizarre about this little X-Men artifact, is that Wolverine is stabbing Rogue. Yes, okay, it's a scene from the movie. But the movie also had a scene where Wolverine stabs Mystique, who is clearly the villain. There's a whole lot less concern over the hero stabbing the bad guy, because she's bad, and also because she looks like an alien so it's easy for kids to dehumanize the victim. But Hasbro opted for Wolverine to stab the teenage girl. Yeah, it's a direct lift from the movie... but it's an intensely emotional and traumatic scene in the movie, so... I'm just saying, they could have reconsidered this project.

To your first point, the onus of responsibility is on the company. Maybe people today are much quicker to boycott and file lawsuits, but even 40 years ago, Hasbro understood bad publicity. When they marketed G.I. Joe to kids through cartoons--and that's all the 1980s cartoon was, was just a commercial for the toy line--they made sure that the weapons weren't realistic and nobody got seriously hurt. Today, with the threat of legal and civil actions so abundant, the companies impose strict approval processes on every step of their product. And I can't say I blame them.

On one hand, if you want to argue that toy making and designing is an art form--and I think there's a case to be made for that--you could say that restrictions and corporate approval are a form of censorship. But really, these are corporately owned products, and it's a commercial business. If the company determines their best path to making more money is by angering as few grownups as possible, that's the way it's going to be.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now, so I'll wrap it up. My point is: I do not personally find that Wolverine/Rogue toy offensive, just kind of stupid. I think it's an ill-considered product for a kids toy line if the intention was to sell through mass market retailers.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
1 hour ago, McHogan said:

but maybe still worth mentioning that, even having grown up with all of these admittedly violent toys, I almost never stab or shoot people in real life.

almost never” Haha well spoken 

I almost never stab or shoot anything in real life either. Lol.

In the end, it's up to the parent to educate their kid that it's a toy of a make believe character & that they can play "blow em up, shoot em up & stab em up all they want with their toys but that in real life, unless your life is in danger of being taken, you should never intentionally try & hurt anyone be it human or animal. It ain't rocket science people. Stop trying to shift the blame on others & just be responsible for your own damn actions. 

14 minutes ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

So anyway...how about some more two pack ideas?

I saw one for PSYLOCKE and Spiral but I'd throw in LONGSHOT to sell the pack better. Maybe even Mojo! 

How about Betsy vs Kwannon? Or a hand ninja? 

Longshot vs. Spiral for me, please.  Yellowjacket vs. Ultron.