2020 Hasbro Fan Expo Hong Kong Booth Images

JayC

EDIT:  tbh, i'm worried about the mcu movies, period.  I don't know how movies will be able to earn back the $600 million or whatever they need to be profitable) in the foreseeable future, so how would studios justify launching whatever comes after Eternals?  I guess Disney plus makes enough to justify expenditures like Mando or the upcoming marvel series, so maybe i'm off base.

I mostly agree with your entire post but this last part best sums up my feelings as well. While the Widow movie has be most excited about this next phase, she is part of the glory days and the built in audience will still go see it ( if it ever makes it to theaters). 

But as you’ve said, the rest of the announced projects have me very worried. Personally I have zero interest in Shang Chi and the Eternals. There is a reason that these characters have been perennially “C” listers at best. Believe me, I have loved nearly every  aspect of the MCU but the next slate of films feels like Marvel/ Disney showing a large amount of hubris to think that anyone will care about these characters in 2020 when most didn’t care about them in the 60’s and 70’s. They have built up a ton of good will, I felt the same way about the GOTG that I did about the Eternals and they won me over. 

So I am willing to give them a chance, just worried they are getting to the point where they feel they can put any character in a movie and watch the millions pour in. Instead they should treat the next phase like they did Iron Man. Build slow and by the time the next “Endgame” arrives it will have been worth the journey 

11 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Of course he is not comparing Heroes to the MCU. Apples and oranges.

i can’t speak for twopinesinapod but I read it as an “for instance” not an this happened exactly like what happened on Heroes.

he is struggling to present a correlation between SDCC releases and Hasbro/ Disney killing the MCU waves but in his follow up post he makes a good point: out of sight, out of mind. We have seen cases of when waves are released to long after a movie and retailers not caring (ala Black Panther wave 2 or Endgame wave 3).

again, can’t speak for the OP, but I think I get what he is trying to say. He wants more MCU stuff released but what he isn’t getting is that Hasbro knows there is a fan base for all MCU and they know it will sell like hot cakes ( initially)  

There are just too many factors delaying this from happening. Rest assured Hasbro will continue to tap into the MCU 

He literally said the MCU is dead because COVID, Disney and Hasbro killed it, but ok.

A reminder that (1) the MCU just had the biggest movie of all time; (2) Hasbro isn’t going to release a toy line for a movie that’s not coming out this year; (3) We’re in a pandemic that ALL industries have been affected by.

14 hours ago, JbombTheGreat said:

The corsets on Black and White Queen seem to be a bit long. They were often drawn with more of their midriff showing. Depends on the artist I suppose.

Any guesses on whether or not the Domino figure will have armpit hair like in the movie? 😆

HellfireClubComics.jpg

He literally said the MCU is dead because COVID, Disney and Hasbro killed it, but ok.

ok but my entire post was in reaction to his follow up. He explains much better about what he meant about the MCU staying relevant. In his follow up there are no wild claims, just a for instance to which I responded. 

Saying he is struggling to show a correlation to Hasbro/ Disney killing the MCU is accurate. Just claiming it to be so isn't a correlation. It’s just a wildly inaccurate statement. 

34 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

Other than repaints or rereleases, what exactly? It takes a while to actually make new figures from scratch. 

I'd love if they'd made a proper Endgame Thor or a Quicksilver, but that's not something they could slap together and have on store shelves in just a few months.

Does anyone remember the turn around on Black Panther wave2? I ask because if I’m remembering correctly this wave wasn’t originally planned but was bumped up as a reward for the unexpected success of the movie.

i know that wave was full of repaints (2 panthers and a repurposed BAF, some mods?) and i realize this was needed to get that incredible looking ( if not very functional M’Baku). 

But figures can be rushed into production. Or were Klaue, Killmonger, and T’Chaka already produced but had no wave to place them in? Not starting a thing, just trying to see if Hasbro really wanted, could they push out new product even if the result is just repaints?

i too would love Thor and Quicksilver, but if the only way we got them were inaccurate repaints and not proper releases I’d rather wait until they can get the needed tooling 

34 minutes ago, McHogan said:

But as you’ve said, the rest of the announced projects have me very worried. Personally I have zero interest in Shang Chi and the Eternals. There is a reason that these characters have been perennially “C” listers at best. Believe me, I have loved nearly every  aspect of the MCU but the next slate of films feels like Marvel/ Disney showing a large amount of hubris to think that anyone will care about these characters in 2020 when most didn’t care about them in the 60’s and 70’s.

Shang-Chi was never an A-lister by any means, but his book ran for 125 issues. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Master_of_Kung_Fu_Vol_1_125

Which is sort of irrelevant in this context anyway since most audience members don't read comics anyway. Most of these characters are and have been new to them.

Haha we have been talking a lot about accuracy vs inclusiveness on this board lately and then this gets posted. Forget about accurate body types or who will buy these figures...someone explain the physics of the underwear on the ladies 😂

38 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

Shang-Chi was never an A-lister by any means, but his book ran for 125 issues. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Master_of_Kung_Fu_Vol_1_125

Which is sort of irrelevant in this context anyway since most audience members don't read comics anyway. Most of these characters are and have been new to them.

Shang Chi/Ironfist/ White Tiger & Sons of the Dragon/ Daughters of the Dragon got created during the kung fu craze of the early/ mid 70s thanks to Bruce Lee's " Enter the Dragon' & Game of death " movies. Marvel quickly jumped on the martial arts bandwagon.  I was way too young at the time to collect those comics & has to wait like a decade later to buy back issues of " Deadly hands of kung fu", Featuring all those characters plus back issues of Iron fist & a few issues of " Master of kung fu". Today's generation doesn't bother to read comics for the most part, sadly, they only know of the vast majority of these characters via the MCU. I feel for them cuz they'll never know the joy of pulling out a stack of comics on a rainy Saturday & just spend hrs reading about your favorite Marvel characters. 

Getting back to Shang Chi, sadly his rogues gallery of villains is severely lacking but I believe we can get at least 2 waves of a mixture of MCU & comic based character out of it. I don't collect MCU based figs so I'm hoping that of comic based characters, we get his 4 most prominent enemies during his 125 issue comic run. 

Cat- his martial arts equal if not slightly superior opposite. 

Razor Fist- minus the bondage looking 1st app look.

Shockwave- martial artist who's suit also electrified you when he hit or kicked you. 

Mandarin- since Marvel doesn't have the rights to use his real dad, Fu Manchu.

Good guys

Black Jack Tarr

And a comic based classic Shang Chi with a soft goods Gi that can be removed with alternate head sculpt featuring yelling/ non yelling heads & of course, lots of hands!

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Does anyone remember the turn around on Black Panther wave2? I ask because if I’m remembering correctly this wave wasn’t originally planned but was bumped up as a reward for the unexpected success of the movie.

i know that wave was full of repaints (2 panthers and a repurposed BAF, some mods?) and i realize this was needed to get that incredible looking ( if not very functional M’Baku). 

But figures can be rushed into production. Or were Klaue, Killmonger, and T’Chaka already produced but had no wave to place them in? Not starting a thing, just trying to see if Hasbro really wanted, could they push out new product even if the result is just repaints?

i too would love Thor and Quicksilver, but if the only way we got them were inaccurate repaints and not proper releases I’d rather wait until they can get the needed tooling 

The movie came out in February and wave 2 hit some places by the holidays that year, but in my area it showed up in late January or so.  So probably 10 months or so but as you mentioned who knows whether they had planned some of the characters earlier, its not as though any of them were spoilers the way fat thor or worthy cap would've been.

I kinda question whether they will ever tackle Quicksilver at this point, they certainly have had numerous chances to release one.  Although i guess if there are any figures released in association with the WandaVision show, that would be another opportune time to release Pietro.

15 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

The movie came out in February and wave 2 hit some places by the holidays that year, but in my area it showed up in late January or so.  So probably 10 months or so but as you mentioned who knows whether they had planned some of the characters earlier, its not as though any of them were spoilers the way fat thor or worthy cap would've been.

I kinda question whether they will ever tackle Quicksilver at this point, they certainly have had numerous chances to release one.  Although i guess if there are any figures released in association with the WandaVision show, that would be another opportune time to release Pietro.

Ugh.. I fear you are correct, perhaps our last best chance to get Quicksilver out side of a First 10 years type promo

10 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Like I said, this is going on until Sunday, so there is time

yeah I know, but I was just really surprised that we didn't see anything today (Thursday), and it made me feel that if they are not going to show something every day (different or more), it might mean we have seen it all (it's just one display), but I'm certainly holding hope!

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

In other news, HK just postponed their elections for a year, citing coronavirus... but sure, go ahead and have a convention. 

That said, one would hope they are revealing something, otherwise what is the point of hasbro employees going and exposing themselves unnecessarily.  

Its not a convention, its a display in a mall or such.

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Ah, OK. calling it an expo made me think it was gonna involve a large gathering.

Yeah the name is a little misleading though it would be cool if they did stuff like that in the US, at least in non Covid times.