NYCC And MCM London Go Virtual In 2020 - Plus New Hasbro Reveals Coming Next Week (8/17)

JayC

ReepPop who organizes both NYCC and MCM released this official statement for the status of this year's conventions which will be going virtual.

Since 2006, we’ve been assembling this annual celebration of incredibly enthusiastic individuals that make up our wonderful community and gathering them in the pop culture capital of the world, our own Gotham City. New York Comic Con not only supports the growth of small and local businesses and creators, big brands and major studios, but also brings together diverse, passionate fans from around the world for one incredibly jam-packed long weekend.

While we’d much rather be giving you an update today on joining us at the Javits Center in October, it likely comes as no surprise that NYCC 2020’s physical event at the Javits will not be able to run as intended. We very sincerely appreciate your patience as we worked with the Javits and local officials to figure out what, if anything, could go on as planned this October.

NYCC doesn’t stop just because we can’t do what we’ve done in the past. Instead, we look to the future: We may not be meeting in the queue hall each morning, but we’re excited to join forces with our sister event, MCM Comic Con in London, to bring you New York Comic Con’s Metaverse, our new online portal dedicated to delivering pop culture experiences, right into your homes NYCC weekend, October 8-11. We are partnering with YouTube to bring to life four days of incredible content from the biggest studios, publishers and creators in the business. This is your chance to interact with your favorite creators and celebrity guests, and most importantly, the opportunity to engage with other members of this vibrant community of ours. Our guest announcements, exhibitor profiles, and other information will be available at findthemetaverse.com.

We're also excited to be rolling out publisher and retailer roundtables, networking opportunities across all types of professions, digital CLE courses, and educational opportunities for our educators. Stayed tuned for those announcements.

We can’t thank you enough for how supportive and understanding you’ve all been as we’ve cancelled nearly all our ReedPop events this year. It’s been amazing to see the community turn out, time and time again, in support of our exhibitors and creators.The loss of virtually all conventions in 2020 has leveled a devastating blow on their businesses. We know a lot of you are fans of their work yourselves, and we ask that you continue to support them. We will be bringing new opportunities and platforms that will make it even easier for you to shop their products and artwork straight from your home.

If you’re anything like us and you can’t wait until October to get your fix of great pop culture content, we invite you to join our pals at Emerald City Comic Con, Keystone Comic Con, Florida Supercon, and MCM Comic Con Manchester for ReedPop’s first Metaverse event being held August 13-16. We’ve been rolling out announcements, including a spotlight with George Miller on Mad Max: Fury Road, live drawing with Junji Ito and engaging panels with comic creators like Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Marguerite Bennett, and Khary Randolph.

While we won’t be able to geek out with each other in person this year, we’re working hard to make sure Metaverse August and October will deliver unique experiences to help fill some of the longing we all have to get back to a convention. We’re doing everything we can to make sure that when it is safe for us to be together again, you’ll have the same amazing experience you’ve come to expect from NYCC.

Stay safe & nerdy,

Your friends at New York Comic Con and ReedPop

NYCC-2020.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

Are we actually going to get Legends reveals this time? Seems like we didn’t really get anything for SDCC.

I doubt through NYCC. As has been mentioned Hasbro seems to basically be doing their own thing having these fan Friday streaming events switching between various brands. I expect that to continue through out the year.

11 minutes ago, JayC said:

I doubt through NYCC. As has been mentioned Hasbro seems to basically be doing their own thing having these fan Friday streaming events switching between various brands. I expect that to continue through out the year.

Yeah, they are now doing Transformers Tuesdays for the next five weeks

31 minutes ago, tarot said:

I do hope they still do the "reveal a character from this country" thing they have been doing for the past 2 years. That was a fun part of their world tour reveals, guessing what character would come from that international con reveal.

I would assume if they had those planed already and assuming they are still on track for release, they will be revealed at some point in one of the live stream events.

45 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Yeah, they are now doing Transformers Tuesdays for the next five weeks

Thats more like the Marvel Monday thing where they reveal a new fan channel figure on the first monday of every month. Not a big live stream reveal but just images released with pre-orders.

11 hours ago, JayC said:

Thats more like the Marvel Monday thing where they reveal a new fan channel figure on the first monday of every month. Not a big live stream reveal but just images released with pre-orders.

Still it's Hasbro doing more of the own thing instead of waiting for any Virtual Cons

Dan's been a bit more outspoken this year. Still pretty damn cryptic with everything he says but it kinda keeps the fire stoked.

I just have to wonder how much more shifting of product they can do this year. Even with the holes left by the Eternals and Morbius and Venom waves and the assumed Disney+ wave/sets it still seems like a lot of product is being put out this year. I can only wonder what they have in store for the final quarter. Not that I'm complaining, but my wallet sure is.