'The New Mutants' Still Set For August 28th Theater Release

Outsiders

Variety has confirmed from sources that the Disney and Fox's superhero thriller, 'The New Mutants' will finally see an official theater release on August 28th.  Tickets go on sale on August 18th.

Disney has been bouncing the release for the movie since 2018 and it was expected the company would continue to postpone it or export the film to Disney Plus or Hulu. The movie was originally under 20th Century Fox, but went through numerous reshoots which changed the movies release date five times.

“It’s for sure opening August 28th!” one exhibitor wrote to Variety.

'The New Mutants' will be the first new theatrical release from a major studio since the pandemic forced U.S. cinemas to close in March.  Check to see if your local theater has reopened and will be showing the movie as only 1,309 of the 6,021 venues in the country have reopened, according to Comscore.  This includes movie theaters in New York City and Los Angeles, which are still closed without a set date to reopen.

Directed by Josh Boone, “The New Mutants” features an ensemble cast — including Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy and newcomer Blu Hunt — as young mutants trapped in a secret facility against their will. The movie is expected to be the final entry in the “X-Men” franchise, the 13-film series that stretched from 2000’s “X-Men” to 2019’s “Dark Phoenix.”

16 minutes ago, JayC said:

LOL who wants to take bets on how many days after the theater release it gets put out for digital home rental. I give it a week tops.

You know it will get a quick home rental release because it has no hype or promos going for it.  Sure, it's a X-Men type movie but so was Dark Phoenix and you saw how well that went over.  Also, it's a new theater release but people still won't take the chance of going to the theater and catching covid-19 just for this movie... If I have to catch covid-19 in the theater than I want a 4 star movie that blows me away and I can say I spent 12 bucks to catch covid-19 and it was worth it.

I think Disney would just as soon bury this film. I don’t think they have high expectations and are only releasing it on any platform to just get it over with.

They are treating this film like the proverbial “step child”.. it’s not really theirs so it isn’t going to get all their love. No hype, no support, just forget about it.

this movie, from what I’ve seen, is an odd one though. Seems like a decent cast but seems out there. Which may be a good thing, the Xmen formula was clearly running on fumes ( STILL can’t believe they tried to retell the Dark Phoenix story) .. who knows, maybe this will be the little film that could and surprise some people

I really want to see it , and I'm very excited, but in all honesty I don't think I'm going to go to the theater to watch it, I actually really hope every one is right and it comes out digitally soon after it's theatrical release, so I can sit at home , I ain't going downtown right now

49 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I really want to see it , and I'm very excited, but in all honesty I don't think I'm going to go to the theater to watch it, I actually really hope every one is right and it comes out digitally soon after it's theatrical release, so I can sit at home , I ain't going downtown right now

Same here, I'm still iffy on going to the cinema, even though it seems they are doing a lot of precautions

48 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

As much as I want to see it, I'd rather wait for the home release than go to the movies right now. People in my city aren't taking this seriously and most aren't taking due precautions.

That sucks, I will probably wait for the home release as well.

I have no intention of going to the theater to see this, even if COVID wasn't going on I dont think I would go to the theater to see it. I also agree that I think Disney just wants to be done with it and has no real expectations for it. If it hadn't already essentially been completed when Disney took over my guess this movie would never had seen the light of day. Being essentially a horror type movie I just have no confidence this movie will fit my expectations for the New Mutants, not to mention there is no future for this going forward, even if the movie by some chance ended up being half way decent. Its not like we will ever see this incarnation of these characters on the screen again. I waited for Dark Phoenix to go up for home rental before watching it and glad I did. It wasnt as bad as I was expecting but not worth the trip to the theaters and I expect the same with this.

• 2 weeks later...
The New Mutants 8.5/10
I loved this movie. Probably my third or 4th favorite X-men movie after Logan, X2 and DPOF. The actors and writers nailed the characters. The story was a pretty good adaptation of New Mutants(1st series) issues 18 and 19 which were two of my favorites growing up. So I am probably rating it higher than most would. The cinematography and music(they used the Mats' Bastards Of the Young!) were good as well. Magik was so bad *** and her look, attitude and power set were spot on.

The stuff I'll nitpick:
It wasn't as scary as I wanted it/ thought it would be. The run time was shorter than I would have liked. There were a couple cheesy parts/parts where the acting could have been a little better. There will most likely be no sequel in what could have been a great trilogy if Disney hadn't bought Fox.

I will buy this movie on 4K when it comes out.

Reviews are destroying this film to the surprise of no one. I know the Fox x Universe has its fans but maybe consider that Disney / MCU could do amazing things with the Xmen. Fox clearly was throwing everything at the wall...

8 hours ago, Inspection12e said:
The New Mutants 8.5/10
I loved this movie. Probably my third or 4th favorite X-men movie after Logan, X2 and DPOF. The actors and writers nailed the characters. The story was a pretty good adaptation of New Mutants(1st series) issues 18 and 19 which were two of my favorites growing up. So I am probably rating it higher than most would. The cinematography and music(they used the Mats' Bastards Of the Young!) were good as well. Magik was so bad *** and her look, attitude and power set were spot on.

The stuff I'll nitpick:
It wasn't as scary as I wanted it/ thought it would be. The run time was shorter than I would have liked. There were a couple cheesy parts/parts where the acting could have been a little better. There will most likely be no sequel in what could have been a great trilogy if Disney hadn't bought Fox.

I will buy this movie on 4K when it comes out.

I
I
Last edited: Yesterday at 9:49 PM

You & about 8 others.

6 hours ago, McHogan said:

Reviews are destroying this film to the surprise of no one. I know the Fox x Universe has its fans but maybe consider that Disney / MCU could do amazing things with the Xmen. Fox clearly was throwing everything at the wall...

Haven't seen any official reviews yet, which is never a good sign.

I knew the critics would blast it, but I also don't care, I don't care about critics,, I did hear a few people saying they saw it and it was really good and did the comics justice, the characters were well portrayed etc, still on board for this movie, in theatres maybe it's to soon, at my house 100%

I doubt its great, but its probably  not gonna be "the worst thing ever" either.  Unfortunately the internet's proclivity for hyperbole means nothing can just be "okay", everything has to be good or bad.   I'm guessing if you keep expectations low it might be enjoyable.  Although if you are in the U.S. i really question the wisdom of going to movie theaters right now.  I guess during a weekday when its empty might be OK, but i'm not gonna risk that when i can just wait and view it on demand or streaming later. 

1 hour ago, Inspection12e said:

Are you implying no one has seen it or that it's a bad movie?  

Even had there been no  virus outbreak, I really doubt that theatres woulda been jammed packed to capacity for this movie. I'll be really shocked if it even breaks even $$ wise. Like I said, I'll give it a Redbox rental in a couple of weeks with my 75 cents off promo Code.

The movie opened to 3.1 million on Friday showing in 2,412 theaters across the country. The movie is expected to make around $8million for the weekend. Honestly in the case of New Mutants COVID might do it more good than harm. With so few new movies currently out there isnt much competition and those willing to go to a theater might be more willing to see it just cause its something new to watch.