Marvel Armor: so bad they are good

McHogan

The recent Armored Daredevil got me thinking about all the characters who don’t normally sport an armored look but have for some convoluted comic book reason. Are there any that deserve Marvel Legends figure? See below for a few that spring to mind but I’m positive there are more I’m missing: ( the last pic is War Machines short lived ( thank jeebus) alien armor)

Boy, yeah.  Some of these are out and out classics like the Thor armor.  I think he and the black & silver Spidey armor are looks that are past due for Legends treatment.  Then there's the Captain America armor which is ridiculous.  It's so EXTREME!  Just the epitome of 90s Marvel missteps.  Like the Azbat armor, but uglier and even stupider.  I must have it!

*Editing to pitch in with the Wolverine ablative armor.  I hate it.  And not in a love-to-hate-it like the Cap armor kind of way.  In more of a Nickelback / kill-it-with-fire kind of way.

7490634-loganablation.jpg

Exactly in the spirit Of this thread! There are classics and there are atrocities but it seems everyone has a favorite or one that that they can recall with fondness.

it seems Marvel went through some very distinct phases: the jackets/ pockets phase and the armor phase ( and a handful more). Seems like when a character needed a boost the answer was “put that character in armor”

I always was a sucker for these armor looks, I know most of them are silly, but I can't help but like the asthetic, it surprises me we have not seen Armored Spidey yet or Psylocke, Armored Psylocke is certainly up high on my list of wants. I did always have a thing for that Cap Armor.. so 90's . I really think some armors that were totally cool no body mentioned yet was Loki's armor, and the Armored Black Bolt I always thought was the best look for him, he also recently had some really cool armor from Marvel X, also did can we count that Widow 2099 suit as armor, loved that look, also really liked the Armor Star Lord was using for a bit, also as we were talking about it in another thread Mandarins armor was rad

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Very cool. Have not seen the Loki, Black Bolt, Widow armors but admittedly my days of comic reading consistently are long gone.

I too really like that armor in Mandarin.  Short lived, yes, but the era and Acts of Vengeance story made this a memorable suit for sure

15 minutes ago, McHogan said:

What do you guys think, do these count? Technically armor ...

BD2A1867-E3E2-474F-86A9-62AA55D119C1.png

7EBD36D9-C8A5-48BE-82FC-97A1C35EAD56.jpeg

sure although, I'd say the Thing totally counts, Iceman why not, I wouldn't want either per-say since didn't we kinda already get this Iceman sorta in the Juggernaut wave? and that Thing would just be the addition of a normal head, or would it be more like the suit and be a mask he can put on a regular head??.. either way, I always thought that was a funny moment in the Thing's career maybe not the best figure though , I think his Pineapple form is more of a "armored" thing , I'd take that!

23 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I always was a sucker for these armor looks, I know most of them are silly, but I can't help but like the asthetic, it surprises me we have not seen Armored Spidey yet or Psylocke, Armored Psylocke is certainly up high on my list of wants. I did always have a thing for that Cap Armor.. so 90's . I really think some armors that were totally cool no body mentioned yet was Loki's armor, and the Armored Black Bolt I always thought was the best look for him, he also recently had some really cool armor from Marvel X, also did can we count that Widow 2099 suit as armor, loved that look, also really liked the Armor Star Lord was using for a bit, also as we were talking about it in another thread Mandarins armor was rad

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Just picked up the Avengers: Acts of Vengeance TPB and Mandarin is so bad ass in this armor.. 

10 minutes ago, Emnems80 said:

Spider armor.....yes!!!!! Lasted like 2 seconds in the comics but was such an awesome 90s design! The Wolverine armor is awful, pretty sad since there was a legit reason for him to have it in the comics if I remember right (I believe he had lost his healing factor).

It’s funny how the medium in which we recall certain things like the Spidey Armor, for you it was the comic, for me the PS1 Spider-Man game.. 

Was nice to have the 3xtra health the armor skin provided when taking on symbiotes 

17 minutes ago, McHogan said:

It’s funny how the medium in which we recall certain things like the Spidey Armor, for you it was the comic, for me the PS1 Spider-Man game.. 

Was nice to have the 3xtra health the armor skin provided when taking on symbiotes 

Yeah, I was just heading into my heyday of comic collecting when that Spider armor came out. Had a huge break from video games..... didn't own a console between the Super NES all the way until the original Xbox!

4 hours ago, McHogan said:

My first intro to the Spider Armour was the 90's cartoon was it was worn by a Rich Prick Peter Parker

19 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Oh all armored characters count!

well then I want Arsenal , Cobalt Man, Armada, Red Flag, Force, Facade, Jake Oh, Red King, Detroit Steel, Samurai Steel, Savage Steel, Box and Sea Urchin

I know I could think of more hahahaha

Yeah it kind of morphed from temporary armored attires into armored characters we want.