Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Kingpin Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

10 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I was in the same boat, I didn't want any of the figures because I only collect X-men. However I was lucky enough to score the Wave at 50% off at Walmart here in Canada, so I couldn't say "No" to building Amahl Farouk.

So I got Night Thrasher, Black Cat, Puma and Silver Sable. Fortunately I didn't need Symbiote Spidey that contained the Kingpin heads. *phew*

Unfortunately that's where my luck ran out. Red Goblin has been a #$## to find. Plus this new Kingpin has purple pants 😪

The sad thing is my local comic shop has a Red Goblin, but I'm not sure how much shipping to Canada would be and the exchange rate would probably be too much, he's €40

Also Big bang comics in Dublin have him online for €30 and I believe the ship internationally

15 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I was in the same boat, I didn't want any of the figures because I only collect X-men. However I was lucky enough to score the Wave at 50% off at Walmart here in Canada, so I couldn't say "No" to building Amahl Farouk.

So I got Night Thrasher, Black Cat, Puma and Silver Sable. Fortunately I didn't need Symbiote Spidey that contained the Kingpin heads. *phew*

Unfortunately that's where my luck ran out. Red Goblin has been a #$## to find. Plus this new Kingpin has purple pants 😪

Yeah I mostly get Xmen and Spidey villains with a few exceptions. That wave just, I couldnt justify buying anyone in that wave. None of the characters really grabbed me as must haves. Its funny how that red goblin was such a popular character from that wave. I know he was THE one to look for compared to the others in that wave. Good luck finding him for a decent price.. or at least maybe the part he comes with. 

13 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I gotta say though this version is the one, it must have been Hasbro's plan all along from the moment the started making that BAF that they would put this out, because that BAF is so much more Shadow King

Oh you know for a fact they had that planned out. It wasnt a coincidence that ole Charles came with that extra head. It was a very clever move on Hasbros part to do that. Im wondering if they ll release a third based on the colors from the fox kids cartoon XD. 

13 hours ago, leokearon said:

The sad thing is my local comic shop has a Red Goblin, but I'm not sure how much shipping to Canada would be and the exchange rate would probably be too much, he's €40

Also Big bang comics in Dublin have him online for €30 and I believe the ship internationally

He was actually also available at TRU Philippines (from the toy hunt pics on FB, it seems like they were dumped that wave) for what worked out to be 50% off the Canadian price but yea the shipping kills it. Might as well get it off ebay.

I'll live though. From the pics on the first post, the Shadowking head still seems to fit on the Retro Kingpin body just fine, purple pants and all.

3 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Yeah I mostly get Xmen and Spidey villains with a few exceptions. That wave just, I couldnt justify buying anyone in that wave. None of the characters really grabbed me as must haves. Its funny how that red goblin was such a popular character from that wave. I know he was THE one to look for compared to the others in that wave. Good luck finding him for a decent price.. or at least maybe the part he comes with. 

Not even the Silver Sable body for the Lilandra head?

It's funny my only point of reference for Red Goblin is the one variant cover that J Scott Campbell did for one of the Spidey books. Otherwise, I can't really say I've seen him in anything lol

14 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Hey man you do you. If you aint feelin it then, dont waste the money. From the comic, I never understood how he went up against Spider-Man without suffering a heart attack...he'd be all wheezing and shiv, out of breath, feebly trying to catch him, LOL. He's strong for a colossal lard-ass,  but not super-strong, and without super powers, he couldn't possibly realistically take on a guy who outclasses him in speed, stamina, and strength (all the times he did, that was crap writing...Spidey can press 10 tons. Game over, Fisk). But I give Marvel credit for moving KP over to Daredevil's rogue gallery instead, its a better fit. 

Not like you get points for anything worthwhile from the people on the forum if you get Kingpin. A lot of people like this Venom related wave but I can tell you, it does nothing for me. So dont worry about how good or bad anyone else says it is...its YOUR money to spend as you choose. 

Yeah I never understood the reasoning behind Kingpin's ability to go toe to toe with heroes that have super powers yet he has none, he's just really strong *shrug*, he has a cool story and demeanor but really is a terrible dick tracy style villain in his looks, never was like "oh man kingpin is so cool", also funny enough I am one of those people who love this Venom wave, I think every figure is awesome, but I love symbiotes , I can totally understand why some people wouldn't be interested in such a wave.

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I never understood the reasoning behind Kingpin's ability to go toe to toe with heroes that have super powers yet he has none, he's just really strong *shrug*, he has a cool story and demeanor but really is a terrible dick tracy style villain in his looks, never was like "oh man kingpin is so cool", also funny enough I am one of those people who love this Venom wave, I think every figure is awesome, but I love symbiotes , I can totally understand why some people wouldn't be interested in such a wave.

I think this was Stan's way of saying that if you train hard enough, have enough luck/skill, anyone can achieve amazing things....they did this with Captain America too... but these comic book writers have a way of taking things way too far. Hawkeye's skill with a bow is another ridiculous thing that just cannot be achieved without actual superhuman powers.

57 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I think this was Stan's way of saying that if you train hard enough, have enough luck/skill, anyone can achieve amazing things....they did this with Captain America too... but these comic book writers have a way of taking things way too far. Hawkeye's skill with a bow is another ridiculous thing that just cannot be achieved without actual superhuman powers.

Yeah I never understood why when creating these characters, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Kingpin for instances.. they didn't just say hey these guys have powers.. instead they said no.. they are just really really amazing normal people.. you could be them too, nah never liked that... as you said it was and still is ridiculous , at least for a character like Black Cat, they retconned her into having some minor powers

7 minutes ago, Satam said:

Is the retro figure slightly taller than the BAF or is than an optical illusion?

I see what you are saying here, he does appear to be a wee bit taller, I can't decide if indeed it is an optical illusion or something with the leg positions , guess some one with the figure can only be the one to trully confirm

4 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I never understood why when creating these characters, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Kingpin for instances.. they didn't just say hey these guys have powers.. instead they said no.. they are just really really amazing normal people.. you could be them too, nah never liked that... as you said it was and still is ridiculous , at least for a character like Black Cat, they retconned her into having some minor powers

There were times when Kingpin was able to grab Spidey and twist, bend and lock his arm up with one hand....and John Romita sure made it look painful...but Spidey's tendons, connective tissue, ligaments are twice as elastic as normal, his musculature is enhanced to where he can lift 10 tons, his reflexes are 15x faster than a normal human. By any standard, Fisk shouldnt have been able to do this without himself having enhanced strength. To be fair, in at least one of these scraps, webhead was faking to get Kingpin to let him go. 

spvs.jpg

10 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

He was actually also available at TRU Philippines (from the toy hunt pics on FB, it seems like they were dumped that wave) for what worked out to be 50% off the Canadian price but yea the shipping kills it. Might as well get it off ebay.

I'll live though. From the pics on the first post, the Shadowking head still seems to fit on the Retro Kingpin body just fine, purple pants and all.

It's funny my only point of reference for Red Goblin is the one variant cover that J Scott Campbell did for one of the Spidey books. Otherwise, I can't really say I've seen him in anything lol

Yeah, shipping is the worse. A figure looks like a good deal and then the shipping means you pay nearly double, hence my problem getting a Cull Obsidian arm.

21 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Nope. I dont like the inaccuracy of it and im not a customizer to make it look accurate. I was tempted for her since she is a pivotal spidey character but decided on passing. Too much stuff comes out all at once and sacrifices have to be made . 😞  

Wasnt the red goblin like only in a 6 issue story arc? I feel like I heard he played just a small part in the series. He looked interesting like a "what if" scenario but  I didnt really fully like how the figure came out and I love symbiotes but him and that new sym spidey were just not my bag. I like more classic 90s style characters.. altho i realllly wanted a good doppleganger and HATE how he turned out. 

15 hours ago, Atlantis said:

There were times when Kingpin was able to grab Spidey and twist, bend and lock his arm up with one hand....and John Romita sure made it look painful...but Spidey's tendons, connective tissue, ligaments are twice as elastic as normal, his musculature is enhanced to where he can lift 10 tons, his reflexes are 15x faster than a normal human. By any standard, Fisk shouldnt have been able to do this without himself having enhanced strength. To be fair, in at least one of these scraps, webhead was faking to get Kingpin to let him go. 

spvs.jpg

Yeah I remember scenario's like this occurring far to much in the comics... as a Kid I remember always presuming I was missing something and he did have powers, really my thoughts were they never needed to have him go up against spidey in a fight, his weapon was always his ability to lead crime, that could have been scary enough , as a Daredevil villain he works much better even then, Daredevil is so agile it would seem unlikely that Fisk could even ever catch him, in all honesty the best potryal of Kingpin on paper or screen is D'onoforio, he made sense in that show and his strength made sense..

I love this retro SpiderMan wave the figures the packaging everything about this wave brings back memories of the animated series that I watched with my father when I was a kid these are a must have for me the entire wave will set me back almost  $200  but they are worth it I've seen all the reviews the entire wave is fire

3 hours ago, WeaponXXX said:

I love this retro SpiderMan wave the figures the packaging everything about this wave brings back memories of the animated series that I watched with my father when I was a kid these are a must have for me the entire wave will set me back almost  $200  but they are worth it I've seen all the reviews the entire wave is fire

The packaging is great and shows the marketing power of nostalgia, though it is funny to see the figures are based on Ditko and Romita Snr's versions and not the actual show

Those of you knocking Kingpin , obviously have never done your homework on the guy.

The Kingpin is a 6’7”, 450 lbs titan (actually he looks even heavier, probably 500+ lbs). He can out-sumo a top Samoan champion. Not only is he a top-level sumotori, but he’s an expert body-builder (his body type may make it look like fat, but is actually powerful, healthy muscle).

He’s also a noted expert in several other martial arts. A good morning workout will pit him against seven or eight black belt sparring partners, half of those with blunt melee weapons.

His muscle mass is so impressive that it takes at least Captain America-level strength to hurt him. Even a half-dozen 9mm bullets were not enough to slow him down – at least until adrenaline receded.

However, that’s not the worst. He’s a criminal genius with an immense amount of talent for organization, politics and criminal tactics and strategy. He also evidenced as strong charisma and unshakable willpower.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Those of you knocking Kingpin , obviously have never done your homework on the guy.

The Kingpin is a 6’7”, 450 lbs titan (actually he looks even heavier, probably 500+ lbs). He can out-sumo a top Samoan champion. Not only is he a top-level sumotori, but he’s an expert body-builder (his body type may make it look like fat, but is actually powerful, healthy muscle).

He’s also a noted expert in several other martial arts. A good morning workout will pit him against seven or eight black belt sparring partners, half of those with blunt melee weapons.

His muscle mass is so impressive that it takes at least Captain America-level strength to hurt him. Even a half-dozen 9mm bullets were not enough to slow him down – at least until adrenaline receded.

However, that’s not the worst. He’s a criminal genius with an immense amount of talent for organization, politics and criminal tactics and strategy. He also evidenced as strong charisma and unshakable willpower.

Yeah I knew this, but it still makes little sense really. sure he is super trained up super muscled etc etc, can withstand Super Serum Soldier attacks and Radioactive Spider-Hero people, Bullets... I just think it's a bit lame, no matter how "skilled" he is he is just a normal human, no matter how tough and muscled you are and trained for combat, how is human skin not getting shredded by some buckshots at close range... nah, these dudes he fights are Super powered, it just still seems silly

7 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I knew this, but it still makes little sense really. sure he is super trained up super muscled etc etc, can withstand Super Serum Soldier attacks and Radioactive Spider-Hero people, Bullets... I just think it's a bit lame, no matter how "skilled" he is he is just a normal human, no matter how tough and muscled you are and trained for combat, how is human skin not getting shredded by some buckshots at close range... nah

When has he ever been blasted by a shotgun? He's actually not a "normal" man, he is just at about the enhanced human range because even Cap, who's as strong as a human being can possibly become, has had trouble with Fisk, when engaging him in hand to hand combat as has defeated the Red Skull, who's no slouch in the strength/martial arts dept either.

4502391-3498147439-ca378.jpg

Kingpin_vs_Redskull.jpg

11 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

When has he ever been blasted by a shotgun? He's actually not a "normal" man, he is just at about the enhanced human range because even Cap, who's as strong as a human being can possibly become, has had trouble with Fisk, when engaging him in hand to hand combat as has defeated the Red Skull, who's no slouch in the strength/martial arts dept either.

4502391-3498147439-ca378.jpg

Kingpin_vs_Redskull.jpg

yeah I'm not denying his capabilities and his stats. I get it all hes a formidable foe, just thought always thought it was weird and all he was so powerful

8 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

yeah I'm not denying his capabilities and his stats. I get it all hes a formidable foe, just thought always thought it was weird and all he was so powerful

When it comes to Spiderman, he's always been careful to never go all out when fighting non super powered foes such as Fisk, & your variety of NYC street thugs/criminals. Put when taking on Cap, Frank or Matt in close hand to hand combat, it's not a sure given that they would come out on top, especially in close quarter combat where his size, strength & brutality come in to play.

15 hours ago, leokearon said:

The packaging is great and shows the marketing power of nostalgia, though it is funny to see the figures are based on Ditko and Romita Snr's versions and not the actual show

I just love it I even get a nostalgic Spiderman New animated series vibe from the packaging don't care what anyone says loved the MTV spiderman