Who is This?

BradMan

With the Haslab Sentinel window closing and the Hellfire SDCC box set dropping soon, it’s got me thinking about my X-Men villain lineup.  Hasbro has killed it the last few years between X-Men, Deadpool, and X-Force lines.  

Which brings me to a mystery I haven’t solved in 30 years... who is the green and purple character in the Jim Lee villains pinup?

I remember my brother and I obsessing over the X-Men #1 deluxe issue, and ever since then I haven’t been able to figure out who this is.

I own and have read just about every “X” related comic from about ‘89 to 2013... my friends and I were obsessed with the Marvel and X-Men cards in the early 90s... and I still don’t think I ever saw this character anywhere other than this poster.

Anyone know?

7C19FC16-F379-4FAF-9CC0-A905BB4ABCD3.jpeg

049D3684-F021-426A-A5E3-A5A2F1FBF003.jpeg

2 hours ago, tarot said:

Mesmero. He was a villain of the X-men for years. In fact he was the reason Polaris joined the X-men. He was event featured in several cartoon particularly the Ultimate Spider-man where he swapped Spidey and Wolverine's minds. 

Looks like it time to take your fan card.

Mesmero, yeah I remember him too, I confused him with Mastermind before but they are not the same. Its okay to not know sometimes that's why we have fellow Marvellites to remind us. And please don't take his card, it's like they say, if you don't know, ask somebody. Thanks

Well glad I can keep my fan card, I recognized him right away, even not following Xmen, when I was reading comics I was pretty aware of who was who.

However I may have to turn it in after this question: , is Loki a big enough X villain  to be featured so prominently in their Rogues gallery? I can remember only one story with the Xmen going to Asgard. Or was it quality over quantity? Maybe this one story was Universe altering for the Xmen?

18 hours ago, silverback said:

Its okay to not know sometimes that's why we have fellow Marvellites to remind us. And please don't take his card, it's like they say, if you don't know, ask somebody. Thanks

Hey thanks for the support!  I’m assuming Tarot is being sarcastic...

Im not trying to claim I’m a better or longer fan than anyone... just trying to provide some context.  I always found it odd that Mesmero was featured so prominently in that Jim Lee poster, literally alongside Magneto and Sabretooth, and that in consuming 25 years worth of X-Universe comics I don’t remember seeing him.  

59 minutes ago, BradMan said:

I always found it odd that Mesmero was featured so prominently in that Jim Lee poster, literally alongside Magneto and Sabretooth, and that in consuming 25 years worth of X-Universe comics I don’t remember seeing him.  

It's possible that Jim Lee or Chris Claremont had plans to use Mesmero in an upcoming story, but both of them left the X-Men not long after that pinup (Claremont within two months and Lee within a year).

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

It's possible that Jim Lee or Chris Claremont had plans to use Mesmero in an upcoming story, but both of them left the X-Men not long after that pinup (Claremont within two months and Lee within a year).

...or maybe Jim just wanted to draw him because he has (scientific fact) one of the greatest comic book character designs of all friggin' time!

Mesmero clearly struck a cord with you, there are a few minor character designs I really like too, like classic Paladin, although we may both be in the minority with our appreciation.

Mesmero, to me gives off Cobra (King Cobra) vibe

Another fun fact about Mesmero was that he was also part of a more recent incarnation of the Weapon X program in which they boosted his powers by many times over, making him capable of controlling large crowds, cities and possibly even nations or the world, assuming he can get everyone to look at him long enough to catch his gaze.

11 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Another fun fact about Mesmero was that he was also part of a more recent incarnation of the Weapon X program in which they boosted his powers by many times over, making him capable of controlling large crowds, cities and possibly even nations or the world, assuming he can get everyone to look at him long enough to catch his gaze.

I did not know that. I know he's considered a "minor" villan but I like him and wouldn't say no to a figure of him. 

Mesmero I always thought was pretty cool, I think alot of people forgot about him, he hasn't had much of a consistent presence in any books, If I remember correctly I think last time I saw him was in an Ultimate Spider-Man episode, I also always thought those minion dudes he had Demi-Men had a rad look, I think that was when he was being controlled by Machinesmith's robot Magneto.. I don't really remember, my memory files delete every couple years. I'd say we are overdue for a Mesmero Legend...whattaya say Hasbro