What Toy Biz Marvel Legends Figure Might Hasbro Update For 2020?

JayC

Last week during Hasbro's live-stream Marvel Legends event, they gave us a clue for one of the figures they will release in 2020. The clue indicated it would be a figure Toy Biz did originally for Marvel Legends that Hasbro has yet to redo.

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of figures Toy Biz did back in the day for Marvel Legends that Hasbro has yet to give us modern versions of. I also share my thoughts on how likely I think each choice is for getting the figure treatment this year. Now I am sticking with just Marvel Legends figures Toy Biz did and not veering off into 6" sublines like Spider-Man and X-Men for this list. I also am not including Galactus. Hasbro has done a more recent Galactus figure, and while technically it was released for the Marvel Universe line and not Marvel Legends, I am counting that one as a Marvel Legends. Plus there is no way they would do Galactus this year.

To start the list off, I had to go back all the way to the very first wave of Marvel Legends that Toy Biz did. The figure is of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants member Toad. The funny thing about the Toy Biz Toad figure is that while technically released under the Marvel Legends banner, it actually was created for a line that predated Marvel Legends. That is why the articulation was not as good as other figures in the wave. Hasbro has been going heavy on X-Men related characters this year, and I think it's long overdue that we get an updated Toad. I give Toad an 80% probability of being included in the line this year.

1-Toad%201__scaled_600.jpg

The next figure on the list is Howard the Duck, which was technically released as a pack-in with the Toy Biz Silver Surfer figure back in 2003. Hasbro did give us a Howard figure for the 3.75" line, but I don't see them giving us one in 6" for this year. If or when they do, I would hope it is also a pack-in like the Toy Biz one. I give Howard the Duck a 10% probability of being included in the line this year.

2-Howard-The-Duck%201__scaled_600.jpg

Wesley Snipes Movie Blade figure is the next figure on the list. Assuming Hasbro could get the likeness rights, I could see them possibly doing a tribute figure to the movie that really kicked off the modern era of Marvel movies. I don't see it happening this year, but maybe when we get closer to the release of the new MCU Blade movie. I give Movie Blade a 5% probability of being included in the line this year.

3-Movie-Blade%201__scaled_600.jpg

Besides Blade, Toy Biz also did a Thomas Jame movie Punisher figure. I don't see Hasbro ever doing this one. I give Thomas Jane Punisher a 0% probability of being included in the line this year.

4-Punisher-Thomas-Jane__scaled_600.jpg

Hasbro also seems to be on a Hulk kick recently, and it doesn't hurt that the character of Maestro is appearing in comics again. Toy Biz did this one back in 2005, and I could definitely see Hasbro doing a figure of him in the somewhat near future. I give Maestro a 75% probability of being included in the line this year.

5-Maestro%201__scaled_600.jpg

Hasbro has given us a few different MCU Hulkbuster Iron Man figures for Marvel Legends, but never a comic based one. Toy Biz did one back in 2005, and while I could see Hasbro doing an updated version eventually, I don't see it happening this year. I give comic based Hulkbuster Iron Man a 30% probability of being included in the line this year.

6-Hulkbuster%201__scaled_600.jpg

This next one I wasn't sure I should even include here. It's Angel in his red (or blue) X-Men outfit. Toy Biz did this one back in 2005. Technically Hasbro has done an Angel figure, but it was based on the character's original X-Men uniform and was released in a Toys R' Us exclusive boxset. Technically that version of Angel was based on a Worthington from the past that had traveled to the present, which made him different from the regular Angel, well kinda. Despite technicalities I feel like that boxset Angel disqualifies him from this list and therefore don't see much chance of seeing this figure released in 2020. I give Angel a 8% probability of being included in the line this year.

7-Angel%201__scaled_600.jpg

The next four figures were originally released by Toy Biz in a Young Avengers boxset back in 2006. The set included figures of Asgardian (Wiccan), Hulking, Iron Lad and Patriot. Out of those four, I would say Hulking and Wiccan have the best chance of getting modern figures since they are playing a decent size role in the comics these days and just got married to one another. If Hasbro was bold they would make a wedding 2-pack, but I don't see that happening, at least not this year. I give Asgardian (Wiccan), Hulking, Iron Lad, and Patriot a 45% probability of being included in the line this year.

9-Young-Avengers-Hulking%201__scaled_600.jpg

8-Young-Avengers-Asgardian%201__scaled_600.jpg

10-Young-Avengers-Iron-Lad%201__scaled_600.jpg

11-Young-Avengers-Patriot__scaled_600.jpg

Another boxset Toy Biz did back in 2006 was one that included the likes of Tomb Of Dracula, Frankenstein Monster, Werewolf By Night and Living Zombie. With movies like Blade and Morbius on the horizon, we could definitely see Hasbro giving these classics the action figure treatment, just not this year. I give Tomb Of Dracula, Frankenstein Monster, Werewolf By Night, and Living Zombie a 45% probability of being included in the line this year.

12-Tomb-Of-Dracula%201__scaled_600.jpg

13-Tomb-Of-Dracula%201__scaled_600.jpg

14-Wearwolf-By-Night%201__scaled_600.jpg

15-Living-Zombie%201__scaled_600.jpg

While neither Toy Biz or Hasbro has given us a Mephisto figure, Toy Biz did give us his son Blackheart back in 2006. I don't really see Hasbro doing the same any time soon. I give Comic Blackheart a 15% probability of being included in the line this year.

16-Blackheart%201__scaled_600.jpg

The one Age Of Apocalypse figure Toy Biz gave us that Hasbro has not yet is Sabretooth. Since we have already gotten Wild Child and this is the anniversary year for the Age of Apocalypse storyline, Sabretooth seems very likely in my view to get the figure treatment from Hasbro. I give Comic Age of Apocalypse Sabretooth a 95% probability of being included in the line this year.

17-Blackheart%201__scaled_600.jpg

One I am sure we will see eventually is a comic book based Falcon. Toy Biz gave us a Classic Falcon back in 2006, and I think Hasbro will do the same once the Falcon and Winter Soldier series hits Disney+. I don't see it coming this year however. I give Classic Falcon a 12% probability of being included in the line this year.

18-Falcon%201__scaled_600.jpg

Mojo which Toy Biz did as a Build-A-Figure back in 2006 is long overdue from Hasbro. After all Hasbro has given us versions of Spiral, Longshot and Shatterstar, so Mojo seems like a given. My guess is when Hasbro does a Mojo figure, it to will be done as a Build-A-Figure. Because of that, I would say 2021 is the soonest we might see that figure done by Hasbro. I give Mojo a 20% probability of being included in the line this year.

19-Mojo%201__scaled_600.jpg

Another obscure Iron Man armor Toy Biz did that Hasbro has yet to do is the Thorbuster armor. Since Hasbro loves Iron Man, I could see them doing this one down the road. I give Thorbuster Iron Man a 10% probability of being included in the line this year.

20-Thorbuster%201__scaled_600.jpg

Modok was another Build-A-Figure Toy Biz did back in 2006 that Hasbro has yet to update. This is another one I definitely see Hasbro doing, but once again as Build-A-Figure. I give Modok a 30% probability of being included in the line this year.

21-Thorbuster%201__scaled_600.jpg

It's hard to believe Hasbro has yet to give us a comic book based 6" Mandarin figure for the Marvel Legends line. Toy Biz did one in 2006 and Hasbro has done a movie one and a comic book one for the 3.75" line. It's only a matter of time before they get around to it for the 6" line, but I'm not sure if 2020 will be the year. I give comic based Mandarin a 50% probability of being included in the line this year.

22-Mandarin%201__scaled_600.jpg

The final 4 figures were all released by Toy Biz in a House Of M boxset back in 2006. They did figures of Hulk, Iron Man, Inhuman Torch, and It. Like Age of Apocalypse, I could see them doing a wave to celebrate that iconic story, just not this year. I give House of M Hulk, Iron Man, Inhuman Torch and It figures a 10% probability of being included in the line this year.

23-House-Of-M-Hulk%201__scaled_600.jpg

25-House-Of-M-Inhuman-Iron-Man%201__scaled_600.jpg

24-House-Of-M-Inhuman-Torch%201__scaled_600.jpg

26-House-Of-M-Inhuman-It%201__scaled_600.jpg

So assuming I didn't miss any, these are all the possibilities for Toy Biz figures that Hasbro has yet to do, with one of them getting the figure treatment later this year. My best guess would be either the Age of Apocalypse Sabretooth to round out the Age of Apocalypse roster or a Toad figure to go along with the likes of Mystique, Blob and the new Pyro. Who knows -- based on other clues Hasbro gave last week for new 2020 figures, maybe we will see an updated Blob figure and Avalanche (done for the first time in the actual Marvel Legends line) to go along with Toad???

Let us know in the COMMENTS SECTION which Toy Biz figure you want to see Hasbro give an update to next.

Totally agree with your list, as well as the probabilities (my money is on Toad for sure), but I would also imagine a high probability around Lady Deathstrike. I also thought they were planning another Age of Apocalypse Wave, so I hadn't considered the possibility of AOA Sabretooth outside of an AOA Wave. Now you've got me all messed up! 😉  Hoping Blob and Banshee for the Hasbro re-dos (sold my BLOB BAF recently because I was so confident a new one was coming).

I would wager either Toad or Lady Deathstike (at least those are the two I'd be most excited about)
If that's the case I would think they'r probably either doing a copule X-Men 2-Packs/3-Packs or they're doing a new X-men vintage wave before the end of the year. If they're going with packs my wager is:
1 a Classic X-Men 3 Pack (Toad being the Toybiz figure hasbro hasnt made, Banshee being the hasbro redo and Mystique maybe cause she's pretty scarse)
2 a AOA 2 Pack (Magneto being the 3.75in figure made but not 6in, Rogue figure never made)

I've been asking for an improved Toad almost since he came out in the first wave. He didn't have knees or elbows and was too big. That alternate line he was designed for was 7 inch scale. I'm hoping we get another X-Men wave this year. AoA Sabertooth seems like the best bet, but I want Toad, Master Mind, Deathbird, M and a decent Cannonball. I also really want a well done First Appearance X-Men team.

I'm a little baffled why you gave M.O.D.O.K. such low odds. We know there's a second gamerverse wave this year, we don't yet know what the BAF is, and we know M.O.D.O.K. features heavily in the game. He seems like a shoo-in. I think we can say with pretty high confidence that we've seen all the X-Men reveals for the year, so I'd be looking at things that fit that Gamerverse wave or the usual New Years' Spider-Man wave. Toad and Sabretooth may well come next year, but M.O.D.O.K. seems like the pick for this year.

47 minutes ago, Benn said:

I'm a little baffled why you gave M.O.D.O.K. such low odds. We know there's a second gamerverse wave this year, we don't yet know what the BAF is, and we know M.O.D.O.K. features heavily in the game. He seems like a shoo-in. I think we can say with pretty high confidence that we've seen all the X-Men reveals for the year, so I'd be looking at things that fit that Gamerverse wave or the usual New Years' Spider-Man wave. Toad and Sabretooth may well come next year, but M.O.D.O.K. seems like the pick for this year.

I agree here on M.O.D.O.K. being very high potential for the BAF of the 2nd Gamerverse wave, he's the main villain.. I couldn't call if I'd say he'd be a Classic or a Gamerverse but I think he has a very high chance of being the BAF for that 2nd Gamer wave. I also would give Hulkling a higher ratio , I think with him being pretty active in the books recently he could find himself in the 2nd Gamerverse wave as one of the comic figures. I also really have a big feeling we are getting a new Toad very soon, as well as comic Falcon probably beginning of next year in a Avengers wave with Disney + figures, comic Mandarin.. in a wave with Shang-Chi movie figures. I think no doubt we are going to see AOA sabretooth soon, some how ,many not in a wave..but he's is coming soon, and Mojo is next to Blob being super high candidates for X-Men wave BAFs.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

I think it's mostly the case that if we do get a MODOK as the baf for the second Gamerverse wave it will be a well Gamerverse figure. I think JayC was saying that the classic comic book figure has a lower chance of getting made THIS YEAR because of that.

I can definitely see them using his presence in the game as an excuse to make a comic version. Does he even look notably different in the game? Half the last Gamerverse wave was comic characters, and the Captain Marvel movie wave had a comic-based BAF. My money is still on M.O.D.O.K. as the Toy Biz remake. It's because the clue is for this year that I'm so convinced. I don't think we're seeing any surprise waves this year, and probably not any X-Men stuff we don't already know about.

Destroyer (Thorbuster variant), Baron Strucker (variant of Red Skull Face Off), Jigsaw (normal or variant), Longshot, Classic Havok, Vengeance, Classic Iron Fist, Classic Power Man are missing in the list, and maybe even Dragon Man, Impossible Man and (Tank) Bettle (if we consider the sister lines).

I think more than any of this I'd like a classic Dr Strange. They've done two figures but neither were in the classic look and he's pretty well-known these days. Plus it wouldn't need much original sculpting. The legs are Spandex so no need to sculpt anything new for them. The torso and arms could be reused from the shatterstar figure. The previous Dr Strange had the cloak of levitation and eye of agamotto. Just make a new head, gloves and a skirt/belt piece.

Of all the possible figures listed the only ones I want is above all would be : Angel and maybe Toad (depending on the quality of the detail , articulation and paint work) What I'm hoping for them to release is from the Vampire world is (Red Armored) Dracula Lord of the Vampire's who did battle with the Avengers and X-Men & his son Xarius . it would go perfect with Shiklah thats soon to be released in stores 

I would love to see a newly improved World War Hulk and Fear Itself Hulk ,  Mephisto (who was never created) ,  New and Improved Body Mold of Superior Spiderman ,  Nightmare , Blackout , My dream box set would be FrankenCastle and Daken that would blow my mind away ,  A newly painted , better detail and new body mold of The Sentry and Apocalypse Sentry , & my other dream figure would be the NEVERBEFORE  RELEASE of Mr. Hyde !!!!!!!!!

I'm interested in Toad. They must have had different plans for Marvel Legends when they made him.

I'm sure they could improve some of those figures, like Mojo and MODOK, but they are already pretty good. Maestro is good. Blackheart is weird, and doesn't stand well, but I wonder if he could even be improved. Angel isn't bad. His shoulders are a little big, but they look alright when they are raised as if it was flying.

Maybe Falcon could be improved because he is a little small. That AoA Sabertooth is pretty bad. I don't know why they made it so small and ugly.