Who Wants More 90's Avengers Marvel Legends Figures?

JayC

The 90's was a strange time for the Avengers as the X-Men and Spider-Man dominated the airwaves during much of that time with their cartoons on Fox. In the comics, the X-Titles as well as Spider-Man had all the hot artists on board like Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Eric Larsen and Todd McFarlane. Earth's Mightiest Heroes during that time seemed often to struggle to really find its footing in the Marvel Universe which in turn caused many iconic characters to go through some often drastic makeovers.

Trends were started in the pages of X-Men like wearing leather jackets and having letters that represented your team featured on your outfits that soon carried over to the Avengers.

Then, as the 90's began to come to a close, Marvel and the comic industry itself began experiencing extreme turmoil, and we ended up with things like Heroes Reborn.

Still that time period brought us many interesting looks and outfits for the Avengers. Which begs the question, should Hasbro do more Avengers action figures from that time period? After all, Hasbro did give us a very 90's Black Widow figure last year in her grey outfit with the "A" sleeved leather jacket.

13__scaled_600.jpg

Other notable Avengers characters who sported the leather jacket look included Eternals member Sersi who at the time wore a red and black outfit.

01__scaled_600.jpg

Then there was The Black Knight who ditched the cape for the jacket and also started using a Lightsaber-type laser sword instead of his traditional Ebony Blade weapon. With the Eternals movie featuring both characters coming next year, I could even see Hasbro giving us a 2-pack of these two with their 90's looks.

03__scaled_600.jpg

The Olympian God Hercules also switched up his look in the 90's, often sporting shoulder pads (another look made to be cool in the 90s) and shirts with the letter A featured on it.

05__scaled_600.jpg

Speaking of Gods, another character who experienced some pretty drastic changes in the 90's was Thor. For a while the mantle of Thor was handed off to a human named Eric Masterson who gave us a subtle update to the classic Thor look.

02__scaled_600.jpg

Eventually Masterson ended up giving Mjölnir back to its original owner and assumed the identity of Thunderstrike giving his own twist on the leather look. I would love to see Hasbro do both the Masterson Thor and Thunderstrike for the Marvel Legends line.

16__scaled_600.jpg

Thor himself probably experienced one of his most drastic makeovers in the late 90's although it was very short-lived. It had all the classic traits of the 90's including leather, big shoulder pads, and chains.

06__scaled_600.jpg

Another Avengers member fairly new to the team at the time was the Inhumans character Crystal.

04__scaled_600.jpg

Not to be outdone by Black Widow and Sersi, she too soon dumped the traditional plain yellow costume look after joining and started sporting a white and black costume with the added Avengers leather jacket.

14__scaled_600.jpg

Hank Pym, officially returned to the Avengers during this time with his Giant Man persona, and ditched the traditional mask in favor of Cable-like communication headgear and cyclops-like belt pouches.The hair sticking out of the top of the mask was also a look that became very popular in the 90s, especially if you had blonde hair.

07__scaled_600.jpg

Fortunately Steve Rogers was spared that particular look, but Clint Barton couldn't say the same with his new Hawkeye outfit.

15__scaled_600.jpg

Speaking of blonde hair characters, Quasar is another character from the 90s that Hasbro should definitely consider giving a Marvel Legends figure. The character first appeared back in 1979, but it wasn't until Wendell Vaughn picked up the mantle in his own title that first debuted in 1989. That, I think, is when the character really picked up steam. Captain America ended up taking Vaughn under his wing and bringing him onboard the Avengers for a short time.

10__scaled_600.jpg

The 90's also saw Wanda Maximoff go through some pretty major changes as she separated from her android husband Vision, found out her children were not real, and was manipulated by the likes of both Kang and Magneto. During this time, Scarlet Witch sported a number of different looks but this one was probably my favorite. Of course, all eventually lead us to "No More Mutants".

08__scaled_600.jpg

Not to be outdone by costume changes, Scarlet Witch's brother Quicksilver ditched his long standing blue outfit for a new one. In keeping with the look of his now separated wife Crystal's white and black look, Pietro began wearing a dark black and white outfit.

09__scaled_600.jpg

Since we know how much Hasbro loves Iron Man, we should note that this time period is when Tony started wearing this very popular armor design featured in the 90's Iron Man animated series as well as done in figure form by Toy Biz. We have to imagine Hasbro will get around to doing it at some point.

12__scaled_600.jpg

By the end of the 90's, almost all the Avengers had gotten costume make-overs. Some better than others, but we feel there is a lot of potential here for Hasbro to explore with new action figures.

11__scaled_600.jpg

After all, Hasbro has been giving us the 90's versions of the X-Men. It only seems fair the Avengers get the same treatment, right???

Such a troubled era haha, the only redesigns id care to get are Quicksilver and Giant-Man. I have a love / hate thing with the jackets and pockets era. At the time it seemed like characters switched costumes overnight until we end up in the Crossing era suits. Seeing that pic now it looks like fan fiction version ( or Crystal Dynamics but that is another issue) since many of these versions didnt  last past this story. Or if they did, it wasn’t much longer.

im ok with the main team in jackets. It is what it is, these were the avengers at this time. Sersi especially looks sharp. And I’ll take any version of the Black Knight. But this was a definite era of Earths Mightiest Heroes so yeah, bring them all on.

Most of these would be a hard pass for me. I don't know what was going on in the heads of the artists/designers back then, but it wasn't a lot of good. The bomber jacket didn't make a lot of sense and only a few (to me) were able to pull it off- Rogue, maybe Widow, though that gray suit was too bland for my tastes. They even gave the F4 jackets; I didn't have too much of a problem with that till the Human Torch got one too.

Seriously? A guy MADE of living flame....needs a jacket?

I wouldn't mind an updated Quicksilver, but they absolutely must do his hair correctly. Why they botched it in the 3pack, I cant say.

spacer.png

Hahaha I loved these looks, I guess I'm in the minority here, but these all hold a place in my heart, I just loved the whole 90's costume era, I'd take em all honestly, however in the case of some one like Crystal I'd like to get a classic costume first and then I'd surely be happy to buy an 90's Avengers look, and hey man that's my favorite look for Sersi. I have a thing for these 90's looks, it just reminds me of good times, I like big pouchs and belts and leather jackets *shrug* it's cool

wait nobody wants an Adam-X figure?.... but cowabunga dude was the most 90's X-Man hahah

first post on here (signed up just to offer my opinion on this question!)

I want to see a Thunderstrike Marvel Legends figure!

I know we got a 4" Thunderstrike a few years back, but I really, really liked Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz's run on Thor and then Thunderstike back when I was in the 8th - 10th grade and would love a 1:12th scale figure.

I would love to see a Bloodaxe figure, too, so Thunderstrike can have someone to fight.

Thunderstrike (1993-1995 1st Series) comic books

1 hour ago, RoyalsHornetsHurricanes said:

first post on here (signed up just to offer my opinion on this question!)

I want to see a Thunderstrike Marvel Legends figure!

I know we got a 4" Thunderstrike a few years back, but I really, really liked Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz's run on Thor and then Thunderstike back when I was in the 8th - 10th grade and would love a 1:12th scale figure.

I would love to see a Bloodaxe figure, too, so Thunderstrike can have someone to fight.

Thunderstrike (1993-1995 1st Series) comic books

Ah I've been hoping for a Bloodaxe figure for a long time, how about a Thunderstrike x Bloodaxe 2pack , Fan Channel exclusive Hasbro

Sersi and Crystal could just be repaints of the Rogue and vintage Dazzler w/ new head sculpts. And a slight retool of Black Knight and these figures are basically done. And Hasbro loves some simple retooling and re releases.  So you have an Avengers love triangle box set rite there. Sersi was hitting on Dane but he and Crystal had a whole will they wont thing going on as she was separated from Quicksilver but still technically married. A repaint of Quicksilver w/ a NEW head sculpt and you have the whole 90's Avengers soap opera good to go. So if it isn't a triangle is it a love rectangle?

3 hours ago, OCarey said:

Sersi and Crystal could just be repaints of the Rogue and vintage Dazzler w/ new head sculpts. And a slight retool of Black Knight and these figures are basically done. And Hasbro loves some simple retooling and re releases.  So you have an Avengers love triangle box set rite there. Sersi was hitting on Dane but he and Crystal had a whole will they wont thing going on as she was separated from Quicksilver but still technically married. A repaint of Quicksilver w/ a NEW head sculpt and you have the whole 90's Avengers soap opera good to go. So if it isn't a triangle is it a love rectangle?

Yeah that was some prime time drama there. For a while afterwards writers made it seem like Dane was a player ( I guess playa) and would chase any skirt he could see. But this is where the “Melrose Place” of the Avengers started. 

The thing that bugged me was that BK really like Crystal but he was forced into that mind meld thing with Sersi so he “heroically” backs off of Crystal so she can rebuild her marriage then jumps to the Ultra verse with Sersi for a few years. Odd way to write off the character that had been the anchor of the book for the past few years. 

Anyway, the more I read these posts and recall these stories I’ve decided I’m all in on 90s Avengers goodness. These stories are comfort food 😁

Absolutely yes to both Quasar and Thunderstrike. It's actually yes on all the rest as well but I know realistically Hasbro isn't going to produce jacketed Avengers members. Considering they've done the Havok/Polaris pack from X-factor, I suppose there's a chance of an exclusive 2 or 3 pack. Just don't see them going mass market with them. 

An a side note to Quasar and Thunderstrike, I would also be hopeful for Dr. Druid, Stingray, classic costume Captain Marvel II (Spectrum) and above all Starfox 

Yes to Masterson Thor or Thunderstrike, which ever comes first. Being wanting Thunderstrike since the TB wave

Quasar is a most and should be including in a GOTG Vol 3 wave. I'd take his more modern version if I have to.

I'd take Sersei and Crystal in these version if I had to but I prefer Crystal in her classic yellow costume with a swappable short haired head and Sersei in her green costume. I'd take Scarlet Witch if it came in that costume

Modular Iron Man is coming. There is not a doubt in my mind when they do the Vintage Iron Man wave, Iron Man will be in his Modular costume. He is on the frigging box after all.

No the "What the hell were they thinking" rest of them.

I'd take any of these, ESPECIALLY the "Jacket-Era" Avengers. Coincidentally, Cap didn't escape the Team-Jacket look, as one issue had the team going to the Arctic, which had Cap forgoing the cowl for a full-face clear visor and jacket. Because, you know, the best defense for sub-zero temperatures is a face-shield and light weather bomber jacket.

2 hours ago, Hordak Rules said:

Absolutely yes to both Quasar and Thunderstrike. It's actually yes on all the rest as well but I know realistically Hasbro isn't going to produce jacketed Avengers members. Considering they've done the Havok/Polaris pack from X-factor, I suppose there's a chance of an exclusive 2 or 3 pack. Just don't see them going mass market with them. 

An a side note to Quasar and Thunderstrike, I would also be hopeful for Dr. Druid, Stingray, classic costume Captain Marvel II (Spectrum) and above all Starfox 

I really want a Stingray figure.

1 hour ago, mako said:

I'd take any of these, ESPECIALLY the "Jacket-Era" Avengers. Coincidentally, Cap didn't escape the Team-Jacket look, as one issue had the team going to the Arctic, which had Cap forgoing the cowl for a full-face clear visor and jacket. Because, you know, the best defense for sub-zero temperatures is a face-shield and light weather bomber jacket.

Never knew Cap went in on the Jacket look

4 hours ago, tarot said:

"...….Modular Iron Man is coming. There is not a doubt in my mind when they do the Vintage Iron Man wave, Iron Man will be in his Modular costume. He is on the frigging box after all...."

I was one of many here who really was anticipating Iron Man's Centurion armor, and then saw what they did to it. Compared to the near perfect 80th anniversary classic armor and the War Machine armor, Centurion misses the mark. I would think Modular would be simple to do, but now, I'm not sure. I'd be happy with them holding off till later next year, if that's what's needed to do it correctly. I'd also like to see Sunturion!