How many army builders do you get/want?

RyanDaly

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered three A.I.M. army builders from Hasbro Pulse when the retro Doctor Doom went on sale. Their arrival along with yesterday's reveal of the Hellfire Club soldier got me wondering: How many army builder figures do you typically buy/collect? And how many (within reason) would you want to feel complete?

I have three Hydra goons and three A.I.M. soldiers. Even though I like A.I.M. a whole lot more than Hydra, I could be content with just three A.I.M. figures. It seems like that is a good base unit for the mad scientist squad. For Hydra, however, three doesn't seem like enough. I probably want to double that, at least. So that led me to think about what I want as a collector.

• Hydra - I want 7-8 total, and I have three so far. Need four or five more.
  • A.I.M. - I either want to stay with 3 or get 6 total. No rush to get more; maybe on a rainy day I'll order three more.
  • Hellfire Club - assuming I get the box set with the kings and queens, I want 6 HC soldiers to go with them.

What about you guys? How many army builder characters do you have and how many more do you realistically want?

I haven't really got a lot of army builders for Legends, at least not in the traditional sense. I have a lot more for Black Series, but for Legends I have:

• 3x Dani Moonstar, but they're each set up to be a different character
  • 5x Multiple Man, which probably counts
  • 1x Sentinel (from Days of Future Past box), which I got new for around $50 and planned on getting more, but waited too long to pull the trigger and no longer want multiples at $200 each
  • 5x Sentinel (from Haslab, so same numbers on both Prime Sentinels), but I might only keep 3; I originally ordered 3, but grabbed 2 more at the last minute just because I wanted them to exist and didn't want to pay inflated prices if I realized I wanted them some time in the next year
  • 3x Stepford Cuckoos, with the same story as Dani

I want at least 3 Hellfire Club goons, but might go higher.

3 hours ago, Benn said:

• 3x Dani Moonstar, but they're each set up to be a different character
  • 5x Multiple Man, which probably counts
  • 3x Stepford Cuckoos, with the same story as Dani

I forgot about those but yea, they count, especially for Multiple Man. I would've gotten three Dani/Rahne/Karma figures if they were in the classic New Mutants uniforms instead of the updated versions.

And I guess, based on those, Nick Fury would count, too, since he also came with the masked S.H.I.E.L.D. soldier head.

45 minutes ago, nWoWolfpack said:

10 Kree; 10 Skrulls; 20 Kree-Skrulls Alliance Soldiers 

37 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Get this man a Shield! 

Yep, I'll Army build the shiet out of Skrulls. I would have a full shelf of skrull and kree going at it. 

These are easily my most desired army builders. I would want at least eight Skrulls and four Kree.

10 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I don't army build, so 1 of each to have as characters

I know I'm lame, but I don't need to see 3 of the each same character on my shelf, just not my steez

Cause that's the point of Army builders. Aim Soldiers, Hydra Soldiers. 1 person doesn't make up and Army and 1 hydra soldier vs cap isn't much of a challenge. But 25 soldiers + Red Skull vs the avengers is a fun display option. 

10 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Cause that's the point of Army builders. Aim Soldiers, Hydra Soldiers. 1 person doesn't make up and Army and 1 hydra soldier vs cap isn't much of a challenge. But 25 soldiers + Red Skull vs the avengers is a fun display option. 

yeah I know, thus why I said I was lame.. I know I failed the intended mission, let me hang my head in shame

I do always think.. I should have some extra hydra and aim guys on the bench so I can take battle pics with.. and maybe one day I will but currently I don't

Depends on the line, for ML I don't really get the itch to army build, and not enough space really to support it, Lightning Collection is a different story. I have 2 Hydra Soldiers, 2 AIM Soldiers, both from the original releases. I might have gotten more if I'd have found the two packs they did from a while back on the shelves, but I never ran into them.  Probably would get 1-2 Hellfire Soldiers, whether or not I get the box set, just because they can still be random goons for the X-Men to take down.  

For people that display figures on a shelf I can totally understand why they would only get one figure. But for those that display a dynamic fight scene I understand the need for multiple army builders. For me, the Hellfire Club Goon will be a builder (at least 6) to display around the Hellfire Club Set. And that's only if I'm able to get my hands on that set.

Regardless of if I ever get the HFC  set, I'm getting at minimum, 8-10 HFC Guards to throw down with the X-Men & various other Marvel heroes such as DD/Spidey/Shang/Moon knight & Punisher. 1-2-3 is not enough to pose a threat to any X-men or street level heroes. 10 will. Generic Skrull grunts is another character I'd get 10 of along with Guardsmen. If they ever release the SHIELD agents as Army builders, 8-10 will be mine.  Makes zero sense to just get 1 Army builder imo.  I'm not really a huge fan of the AIM agents so I got none. I'm not gonna buy 1 just to have it. I either like the Army builder characters enough to justify buying multiples of it or I just don't.

For now, my custom generic Skrull grunts will have to do.

cR3bY8e.jpg

4lurWdh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use to get like 10 of each army builder but I felt I was getting a little carried away with that so these days, I just look to get 3, 4 max. I aim to get 2,3 hand ninjas but I want way more Stilt Man leg extensions. I want him to be able to reach my ceiling 😄.

Actually, I still have 8 of the first Hydra Soldiers from queen brood wave. Still love those guys.