Tatiana Maslany From Orphan Black Is The MCU's She-Hulk

JayC

Variety is reporting that actress Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) has been selected to play the lead role in the upcoming Disney+ She-Hulk series. She will be playing the character of Jennifer Walters who is the cousin of Bruce Banner (The Hulk). In the comics Walters gets a blood transfusion from her cousin which causes her to turn into the Savage She-Hulk. The TV series is said to portray the character in a similar manner and rumors have suggested that Mark Ruffalo will be showing up in the series to reprise his role of Bruce Banner/The Hulk.

Tatiana-Maslany.jpg

Finally some casting news for She-Hulk. Once again, after the Kang casting reveal I had to look this actress up. No clue. Will wait and see how she does, at least she looks like she could be related to Ruffalo..

her size shouldn’t matter, once she (CGI) Shulks out her true physical dimensions wont matter..

wonder if they go Byrne era 4th wall breaking almost comedic take or stay with what the MCU has laid for groundwork?

57 minutes ago, McHogan said:

her size shouldn’t matter, once she (CGI) Shulks out her true physical dimensions wont matter..

wonder if they go Byrne era 4th wall breaking almost comedic take or stay with what the MCU has laid for groundwork?

I know it wasn't always like this, but I thought Jessica's thing was that she was She-Hulk all the time.
Also, the showrunner was a writer for Rick and Morty and Silicon Valley, and the other EP (and director) worked on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Dead to Me, so that should give some clues as to what direction this show will be taking.

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Finally some casting news for She-Hulk. Once again, after the Kang casting reveal I had to look this actress up. No clue. Will wait and see how she does, at least she looks like she could be related to Ruffalo..

Check out orphan black if you can. The first season was especially good altho imo the show went off the rails after awhile. Also she appeared in the hbo perry mason show altho she has a smaller role in that. She’s definitely got acting chops

Tatiana may be 5'4" but if her acting is anything like she did for 5 seasons of ORPHAN BLACK then She-Hulk is in the best of hands. Seriously, if you haven't seen ORPHAN.....you are missing out on true science fiction, TRUE writing and true top-notch acting.

I am almost never behind characters who are just slightly tweaked copies of other characters (Batgirls, Supergirl, Speedy (!), lamest of all, Bucky), and didn't care for She-Hulk, especially when she first appeared. So I wasn't stoked to hear there were plans to bring her to live screen. But if you're putting Tatiana Maslany in the title role? I'm down.  This woman is a f*k#ing tour de force. Get down, Sestra! I'm on board!! 

#sarahalisoncosimahelena

2 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

I hope they show the blood transfusions!

I would be stunned if they don't drastically alter her origin story. A blood transfusion like that is preposterous even by Marvel Universe standards. No hospital or healthcare provider would give a patient blood from an unknown/untested source, and Bruce Banner/Hulk's blood is absurdly compromised. Plus, Banner himself would never knowingly donate his blood or tissue given the likelihood of infecting someone else. Even in a world with talking, gun-toting space raccoons and Infinity stones and magic teleportation rings, even with all of that, She-Hulk getting her powers through a blood transfusion from the Hulk is unbelievable.

My hope is they bring back Tim Blake Nelson to from The Incredible Hulk movie to play Samuel Sterns/The Leader and uses his samples of Bruce's blood and does genetic experiments that end up creating She-Hulk. She doesn't even have to be related to Banner in the TV show if they don't want to. That way, She-Hulk can be--in part--the sequel to Incredible Hulk that we never got.

1 hour ago, Satam said:

I know it wasn't always like this, but I thought Jessica's thing was that she was She-Hulk all the time.
Also, the showrunner was a writer for Rick and Morty and Silicon Valley, and the other EP (and director) worked on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Dead to Me, so that should give some clues as to what direction this show will be taking.

Yeah that sounds right. Like she somehow got stuck in Shulk form. Or could control the transformation and chose to stay as She-Hulk. Imagine how expensive this show will be if she is She Hulk 100% of the time

great shows, if the writing is anywhere as sharp this will be a great show

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

Check out orphan black if you can. The first season was especially good altho imo the show went off the rails after awhile. Also she appeared in the hbo perry mason show altho she has a smaller role in that. She’s definitely got acting chops

Ok sounds good, I’m always up for something new so I’ll track down Orphan Black. Most shows do go a bit wonky after a while, but if at the least the lead can keep things interesting these things can be overlooked

hoping for the best, while She Hulk has never been my top 10 Avengers, I have always liked her characterization. 

3 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I would be stunned if they don't drastically alter her origin story. A blood transfusion like that is preposterous even by Marvel Universe standards. No hospital or healthcare provider would give a patient blood from an unknown/untested source, and Bruce Banner/Hulk's blood is absurdly compromised. Plus, Banner himself would never knowingly donate his blood or tissue given the likelihood of infecting someone else. Even in a world with talking, gun-toting space raccoons and Infinity stones and magic teleportation rings, even with all of that, She-Hulk getting her powers through a blood transfusion from the Hulk is unbelievable.

My hope is they bring back Tim Blake Nelson to from The Incredible Hulk movie to play Samuel Sterns/The Leader and uses his samples of Bruce's blood and does genetic experiments that end up creating She-Hulk. She doesn't even have to be related to Banner in the TV show if they don't want to. That way, She-Hulk can be--in part--the sequel to Incredible Hulk that we never got.

I know but it would a quick easy way to introduce her by giving her flashbacks while she struggles to control her inner anger. Then she comes to terms with her inner anger and she is in shehulk mode for the rest of the show.

13 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I'll start out by saying I'm no expert in She-Hulk history and exactly what happened to make her She-Hulk, but I don't think they did the whole admission into the hospital route when they did the transfusion. I'm pretty sure he broke into the hospital and did the transfusion in hopes that his blood would heal her body from a massive injury. Even if that wasn't the case, they could still tell the story in this fashion. When your talking extraordinary abilities and superheroes and genius level intellects with secret labs and extreme experiments then there's really no need to do the typical everyday government regulated hospital thing. Am I right?

All I know is it was a damn good comic when Byrne was at the helm and I'd much rather like the fun, light hearted She-Hulk rather than the heavy handed feminist version we have now. Rick and Morty seems to balance on a very fine line between those two worlds, so I have high hope these writers can do the same with this show. I have no doubt that Disney is up to the task to make this work visually.

As far as the actor, I'm not too familiar with her body of work. She's good on Orphan Black, but that's a character she took on from it's inception, so part of her character and development is part of he own personality. Whether she's able to take an established character and properly play that role is the definition of a good actor. She certainly doesn't look the part, but I guess neither is Kristin Ritter as Jessica Jones, so that can be overcome. I'll remain optimistic. Hey, at least they didn't cast the other Brie as was originally rumored.

24 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I'll start out by saying I'm no expert in She-Hulk history and exactly what happened to make her She-Hulk, but I don't think they did the whole admission into the hospital route when they did the transfusion. I'm pretty sure he broke into the hospital and did the transfusion in hopes that his blood would heal her body from a massive injury. Even if that wasn't the case, they could still tell the story in this fashion. When your talking extraordinary abilities and superheroes and genius level intellects with secret labs and extreme experiments then there's really no need to do the typical everyday government regulated hospital thing. Am I right?

All I know is it was a damn good comic when Byrne was at the helm and I'd much rather like the fun, light hearted She-Hulk rather than the heavy handed feminist version we have now. Rick and Morty seems to balance on a very fine line between those two worlds, so I have high hope these writers can do the same with this show. I have no doubt that Disney is up to the task to make this work visually.

As far as the actor, I'm not too familiar with her body of work. She's good on Orphan Black, but that's a character she took on from it's inception, so part of her character and development is part of he own personality. Whether she's able to take an established character and properly play that role is the definition of a good actor. She certainly doesn't look the part, but I guess neither is Kristin Ritter as Jessica Jones, so that can be overcome. I'll remain optimistic. Hey, at least they didn't cast the other Brie as was originally rumored.

Bruce fended off the attackers and then broke into a doctor's office to treat her. Realizing Jennifer was going to die, Bruce gave her an impromptu transfusion of his own blood as there were no other supplies in such an emergency. 

A blood transfusion actually would be the best route, it would be a quick, clear explanation of her origin.

I kind of remember her and I did watch some of the Orphan Black program but probably didn't follow it long because I can't remember the show. I am glad to hear that She Hulk will be made and my guess would be that she will probably not be She Hulk full time but transform like the old Hulk tv show. Since she is a small person they may even use old school and have a 6 foot stunt double for She Hulk? Wonder if Mark Ruffalo is just coming back for the origin or will he be making cameo appearances throughout the show. Either way its great and looking forward to seeing the show. 

I think she ll do a great job at Jennifer. I hope her CGI she hulk comes out well as well. Ruffalo hulk came out well so she shouldnt be too hard to get right. 

1 hour ago, EvilHayato said:

I think she ll do a great job at Jennifer. I hope her CGI she hulk comes out well as well. Ruffalo hulk came out well so she shouldnt be too hard to get right. 

Given that these Disney + shows have very large budgets, I would say the She Hulk will come out well

3 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Bruce fended off the attackers and then broke into a doctor's office to treat her. Realizing Jennifer was going to die, Bruce gave her an impromptu transfusion of his own blood as there were no other supplies in such an emergency. 

A blood transfusion actually would be the best route, it would be a quick, clear explanation of her origin.

Being that faithful to the comics would not only defy logic it would contradict what we know about Banner/Hulk in the MCU.

When Bruce was working at the bottling plant in The Incredible Hulk, he frantically tried to shut down production when he got cut because he was afraid that even a drop of his blood would contaminate the juice, which we saw happen with Stan Lee's cameo. Later in the movie, he freaked out when he found out Sterns was collecting his blood samples and experimenting with it. He wanted all the samples destroyed. 

Banner knows that his blood is radioactive. Transfusing his blood into another person would either a) turn them into a Hulk-like monster, which is the best case scenario, or b) poison them, as Tony pointed out to Banner in the first Avengers movie ("That much gamma should've killed you.")

In Savage She-Hulk #1, Banner decides to treat Jennifer's blood loss himself by breaking into a doctor's house across the street, because he says there isn't enough time to wait for an ambulance. You know's a lot faster than an ambulance? The Hulk. He could carry Jennifer in his arms and reach any hospital in seconds just by leaping across town. We saw him do that in Avengers: Age of Ultron when he carried Black Widow to the hovering Sokovia and then escaping onto the Helicarrier. 

Also, the Hulk's current status is "Professor Hulk". He's got all of the Hulk's physical abilities and all of Banner's scientific knowhow, so he would know the deadly medical and ethical consequences of injecting his own radioactive blood into another person. And the fact that he has the Hulk's power would negate the desperation of any situation that would call for such a life-or-death decision.

Now, I do agree that Jennifer getting the Hulk's power via transfusion is a cool and easy-to-understand part of her origin, so I'm all for keeping that part. But she should NOT get it from Banner/Hulk, or, at least, he should not knowingly donate it, because that damages his credibility. That's why I suggested she could be tested on by Sterns, or it could be Hydra or some other villain who gets access to Hulk's blood through nefarious means. That takes the ethical responsibility factor out of the equation.

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Being that faithful to the comics would not only defy logic it would contradict what we know about Banner/Hulk in the MCU.

When Bruce was working at the bottling plant in The Incredible Hulk, he frantically tried to shut down production when he got cut because he was afraid that even a drop of his blood would contaminate the juice, which we saw happen with Stan Lee's cameo. Later in the movie, he freaked out when he found out Sterns was collecting his blood samples and experimenting with it. He wanted all the samples destroyed. 

Banner knows that his blood is radioactive. Transfusing his blood into another person would either a) turn them into a Hulk-like monster, which is the best case scenario, or b) poison them, as Tony pointed out to Banner in the first Avengers movie ("That much gamma should've killed you.")

In Savage She-Hulk #1, Banner decides to treat Jennifer's blood loss himself by breaking into a doctor's house across the street, because he says there isn't enough time to wait for an ambulance. You know's a lot faster than an ambulance? The Hulk. He could carry Jennifer in his arms and reach any hospital in seconds just by leaping across town. We saw him do that in Avengers: Age of Ultron when he carried Black Widow to the hovering Sokovia and then escaping onto the Helicarrier. 

Also, the Hulk's current status is "Professor Hulk". He's got all of the Hulk's physical abilities and all of Banner's scientific knowhow, so he would know the deadly medical and ethical consequences of injecting his own radioactive blood into another person. And the fact that he has the Hulk's power would negate the desperation of any situation that would call for such a life-or-death decision.

Now, I do agree that Jennifer getting the Hulk's power via transfusion is a cool and easy-to-understand part of her origin, so I'm all for keeping that part. But she should NOT get it from Banner/Hulk, or, at least, he should not knowingly donate it, because that damages his credibility. That's why I suggested she could be tested on by Sterns, or it could be Hydra or some other villain who gets access to Hulk's blood through nefarious means. That takes the ethical responsibility factor out of the equation.

Not sure how anything ever could ever even come close to defying logic regarding movies with a big green giant running around trading blows with a god from another planet who can control lightning. Nevermind the fact that you have Thor Living with a man made up completely of Rock and oversized maggot 😳. Oh and lets not address EGO the living planet.  Regardless of whether banner knows his blood is "Gamma" radiated, I'm sure if he was faced with either saving his cousin or allowing her to die he would take the necessary actions to save her. He would also know since they share similar blood/blood type/blood line she may also be able to withstand the transfusion and the radiation. With that in mind, she's going to die anyway, might as well try. 

I personally think you took my rebuttal a little seriously, but that's cool. 

Also there have been a lot sections that match how the hero was born. Captain America was a pretty dang accurate to the comics, Thor well is a god and was born that way, Banner explained how he was caught in the bomb. Iron-man was pretty dang close. While not being a hundred percent faithful to the comic their adaptation are not so stark from the source material. If anything I would say they take a lot from the 616 and implement a what they need from the ultimate universe. 

Leaping takes time, once you leave the ground he has no thruster or boosters to increase his speed or slow is impact to the surface. 

Now Using real life logic in a comic book movie is ridiculous, but  if he was only to jump upward to a higher elevation that would be the only way to secure anyone's safety if he were to jump a couple miles in a single bound any non enhanced individual would die on impact. Hulk would have reached maximum velocity on his way back down and killed the injured party. 

Now lets take in to account that Bruce is a certified genius. A medical office right across the  street is vacant. If someone is on the brink of death, seconds matter and if bruce is in hulk mode i'm sure he lost his cell to locate a hospital... and when he does it only has a 2 star rating.  Mind you cell phones weren't really a think during the creation of She-hulk. 

Make a she-hulk or She dies for sure... Simple choice. 

image.thumb.jpeg.04dc5ee337536888184ccf70816c6799.jpegThis defies logic.