New Marvel Legends Retro 3.75" Secret Wars Style Figures From Hasbro

JayC

Hasbro today via Gamespot has announced a new line of 3.75" figures Hasbro is releasing under the Marvel Legends banner. These are Kenner like figures that they will be releasing in Marvel Comic Presents box--designed to look like an issue of the long-running comic book series. Two figures come in each pack, retailing for $20.

The figures like the old Mattel Secret Wars line will have minimal articulation. They are doing 2-Pack with Captain America/Black Panther, Iron man/Cyclops and Spider-Man/Electro. Look for these to be released in the Fall. The figures will be going up for pre-order online on September 25 at 5 pm EST.

Retro-1.jpg

Retro-2.jpg

Retro-3.jpg

Retro-4.jpg

Retro-5.jpg

Retro-6.jpg

Retro-7.jpg

Retro-8.jpg

Retro-9.jpg

Retro10.jpg

Retro11.jpg

Retro12.jpg

Retro13.jpg

Retro14.jpg

Retro15.jpg

This seems to be their attempt to get in on the Star Wars and Ghostbusters Kenner Retro craze. Kenner never did figures like these, Mattel did with their Secret Wars line, but obviously since Mattel is a direct competitor to Hasbro they could't re-create the Secret Wars line. IDK, I am not really sure of the point here. Since they aren't an exact duplicate of an old retro line which is what the point of the Star Wars and Ghostbuster and even GIJoe in a lazy kinda are supposed to do,  Im not sure these are going to have the same effect. These are minimal articulated figures costing $20 a 2-pack, which I guess breaks down to $10 a figure which isn't that bad a price. But IDK. I am sure there will be people who buy these, but I feel like they kinda miss all mark here. They aren't really re-creating something that came before but with the  minimal articulation they aren't going to appeal to a modern action figure collector.

12 minutes ago, JayC said:

This seems to be their attempt to get in on the Star Wars and Ghostbusters Kenner Retro craze. Kenner never did figures like these, Mattel did with their Secret Wars line, but obviously since Mattel is a direct competitor to Hasbro they could't re-create the Secret Wars line. IDK, I am not really sure of the point here. Since they aren't an exact duplicate of an old retro line which is what the point of the Star Wars and Ghostbuster and even GIJoe in a lazy kinda are supposed to do,  Im not sure these are going to have the same effect. These are minimal articulated figures costing $20 a 2-pack, which I guess breaks down to $10 a figure which isn't that bad a price. But IDK. I am sure there will be people who buy these, but I feel like they kinda miss all mark here. They aren't really re-creating something that came before but with the  minimal articulation they aren't going to appeal to a modern action figure collector.

It is a rip off when you consider we got highly articulated MU's for $9-$12 depending on when you started collecting. But people spend way more on those Super7 5pt reaction figs. These will tickle someone's nostalgia. 

11 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

It is a rip off when you consider we got highly articulated MU's for $9-$12 depending on when you started collecting. But people spend way more on those Super7 5pt reaction figs. These will tickle someone's nostalgia. 

Well prices always go up. Original Kenner like figures that these are supposed to be based on cost what $5-6 tops back in the day. These days they would def cost more. Thats just reality. The SW Retro and Ghostbusters Retro which were sold on single cards were priced at like $13+ so these are technically cheaper than those, though they are making you buy 2 at a time, and again not actually based on a real Retro action figure line.

20 minutes ago, JayC said:

Well prices always go up. Original Kenner like figures that these are supposed to be based on cost what $5-6 tops back in the day. These days they would def cost more. Thats just reality. The SW Retro and Ghostbusters Retro which were sold on single cards were priced at like $13+ so these are technically cheaper than those, though they are making you buy 2 at a time, and again not actually based on a real Retro action figure line.

Well yea, but you can't compare apples to banana's. Comparing what we got in the 80's to 2020 isn't a fair comparison. Comparing 2015 to 2020 is more reasonable.  In the late 80's and 90's I used to get G.i. Joes, hercules, and marvel figures for $3-$5. What I'm talking about has less to do, but still some to do with inflation. Marvel universe figures were the same size and fully articulated for $9-$12 each.  The Super7 Reaction tmnt figures are selling for 17.00 and these will be sold for $10.00/each. Marvel Universe figures were being sold 4-5 years ago. My big point is that these 5 pt articulated figures are being sold at a higher markup than the MU figures because it calls to people's nostalgia. People will still pay it and they look good for what they are and still cheaper than super7. 

Errrrr....no way, no how. But there's a sucker born every day I guess. I know they're trying to cash in on '80's nostalgia, but here's one time they need to take a cue from Mattel. The new MOTU Vintage series look the part and they hit the old nostalgia bone in just the right spot, but they bumped up the articulation for modern times. There really is no time, space of money for this in my personal toy life, but kudos to all that can. I suspect this will be a short lived failure. They coulda at least included hologram shields.

30 minutes ago, Hogun said:

I like seeing Cyclops in the same packaging as an Avenger, but why does this exist? It's a cash grab and costs the same price as a regular Legend. Hasbro put no effort or money into them and it's really not worth it.

Thats exactly what all of these 5 inch, 5 pt articulation, retro lines are. They aren’t for collector like us that like to get their pose on. It’s generally for the general public. Cause we know neca makes way better turtles for a little more and legends are easily more fun and a better bang for your buck.

Guys, this is a trap....don't fall for it!! You buy this stuff and then Hasbro will just make more. Not only will they make more, they'll go "Hey...collectors really love this! So let's just stop making Super-Articulated figures and make 5poa our mo, because it's cheaper!" This is precisely what happened with Star Wars collecting several years ago....Hasbro teased a 5poa Vintage style line, a trap that Star Wars fans couldn't help but happily fall into, and then that was pretty much it for Super-Articulated 3-3/4. The line is back, but it's a 90% a repack line. Hasbro created the 6" Black series figures, sure, but the articulation and accessories are sub-pair for this scale. Hasbro wants to go cheap! Do not go into the light!! Do not succumb to the 5POA!!! You want Nostalgia? Plenty of 80s Secret Wars on ebay!

I'm somewhat kidding....though not regarding my sheer and utter contempt for the utter uselessness that is 5POA. I had no use for 5POA in the 80s, and less now. If this floats your boat, hey more power to you...we can just never be friends though. Seriously though, I seriously doubt that Hasbro would stop making Super-Articulated ML and push 5POA.....but then again, the only thing I trust Hasbro to do consistently is cut corners wherever they can. 🙄

2 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Thats exactly what all of these 5 inch, 5 pt articulation, retro lines are. They aren’t for collector like us that like to get their pose on. It’s generally for the general public. Cause we know neca makes way better turtles for a little more and legends are easily more fun and a better bang for your buck.

They arent really for the general public either, they are for the collectors who grew up in the late 70's and 80's who want to try and recapture a piece of their childhood. I doubt a non-collector will ever actually see these even if they would be interested in it.

53 minutes ago, JayC said:

They arent really for the general public either, they are for the collectors who grew up in the late 70's and 80's who want to try and recapture a piece of their childhood. I doubt a non-collector will ever actually see these even if they would be interested in it.

Yep, lots of people that are casual collectors, general public collectors. people that used to have figures like this as children that some how got lost in the teenage/college years. People that collect funko pops, Lots of them never had an action figure, just something small, cheap and can place in your cart on your walk through target, walgreen or walmart. There are ton's of people just like me, who quit collecting toys for a while but would still buy something random for nostalgia purposes. It wasn't until I found the return of marvel legends I started really getting my feet wet. But I would say for all of high school and college, I was a general public collector. didn't know a thing about BBTS or any of this. 

6 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Yep, lots of people that are casual collectors, general public collectors. people that used to have figures like this as children that some how got lost in the teenage/college years. People that collect funko pops, Lots of them never had an action figure, just something small, cheap and can place in your cart on your walk through target, walgreen or walmart. There are ton's of people just like me, who quit collecting toys for a while but would still buy something random for nostalgia purposes. It wasn't until I found the return of marvel legends I started really getting my feet wet. But I would say for all of high school and college, I was a general public collector. didn't know a thing about BBTS or any of this. 

And IDK if this will be online only, but like the Star Wars and Ghostbusters figures that were sold at Walmart I saw maybe once on shelf.

18 hours ago, JayC said:

And IDK if this will be online only, but like the Star Wars and Ghostbusters figures that were sold at Walmart I saw maybe once on shelf.

I see a lot of the "Kenner" stuff at targets, Fye, best buy, hot topics, etc. It usually goes fast. I know lots of people that like collecting random things, but they don't play with them like we do. They don't think collections are weird but I show them my toy photography and they give me that look like I've taken it to far lol. I tell them they haven't taken it far enough. Once you start buying articulated figures, nothing else even makes sense anymore. 

Based on the comments here, I'd say anyone that has any articulated figures will probably pass on these and wait for the Legends version. 

3 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

Guys, this is a trap....don't fall for it!! You buy this stuff and then Hasbro will just make more....the only thing I trust Hasbro to do consistently is cut corners wherever they can. 🙄

Its worse than that. Can't you all see? 

Why are Black Panther, Spider-Man and Cyclops on a blue background, Iron Man and Electro on yellow, but only CAP is on a red one?

You know what they're trying to do here. Nothing more than a total plot. Don't believe me ? Then ask the Pennacook tribes what the Hassenfeld Brothers did to THEM. HASBRO! They are SELLING OUT and trying to take us with them! DONT DO IT.

20 minutes ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

I love these, I'm not sure I wanna dive into a new line though. Dont get me wrong, I love modern action figures lines, but I always held a soft spot for kenner style 3.75, 5 poa figures. I guess you had to be around then to appreciate things. 

I grew up collecting the Star wars/GI Joe 3.75 line in the late 70s & 80s. Doesn't mean I wanna re-do it again in 2020 with the same figs but 75% more expensive. That's like rebuying a Hugo cuz of the "nostalga over a 2020 Stang.