New Marvel Legends Retro 3.75" Secret Wars Style Figures From Hasbro

JayC

These do look nice for what they are, especially that Iron Man. But I was a huge MARVEL UNIVERSE 3 3/4 line collector and when Hasbro cut nearly all the articulation and made these figures maybe 8-10 POA happy meal toys it was a hard pill to swallow. The essentially killed the line. Worse, some long awaited figures (for me anyway) like Beast, Thunderstike, & Rage we’re victims of the “cost cutting” measures. 

Now they rub it in our faces with these “new” 5 POA like “hey remember when we killed off a popular line by limiting their articulation/ paint apps? Well, here are some NEW ones!!” No thanks, I’d rather Hasbro use the money set aside for these POS and make more Rock Pythons.

i can normally be swayed by anything new for the Avengers, but I guess even I didn’t realize how annoyed I was at Hasbro’s treatment of the MU line until I saw them parade this junk today 

16 minutes ago, McHogan said:

These do look nice for what they are, especially that Iron Man. But I was a huge MARVEL UNIVERSE 3 3/4 line collector and when Hasbro cut nearly all the articulation and made these figures maybe 8-10 POA happy meal toys it was a hard pill to swallow. The essentially killed the line. Worse, some long awaited figures (for me anyway) like Beast, Thunderstike, & Rage we’re victims of the “cost cutting” measures. 

Now they rub it in our faces with these “new” 5 POA like “hey remember when we killed off a popular line by limiting their articulation/ paint apps? Well, here are some NEW ones!!” No thanks, I’d rather Hasbro use the money set aside for these POS and make more Rock Pythons.

i can normally be swayed by anything new for the Avengers, but I guess even I didn’t realize how annoyed I was at Hasbro’s treatment of the MU line until I saw them parade this junk today 

STOBOK Realistic Snake Toy Rubber Snake Figure for Halloween Prank Props

Oh no, I don't like this much, I can see some people being into this, but why would I bother buying these figures when I already have Legends?, it's like solely buying a figure for it's card art, this is wall art, nobody needs to take these out of the package, it's bland and a nostalgic cash grab jab, I generally hate ReAction so I want to hate these, I won't bother with this line in less maybe perhaps they give us a Moon Knight and it goes on sale for 5 bucks. Hasbro don't go this road, just keep doing what you've been doing, also these are not actually old figures or old card backs.. it just wants you to get that feeling, these are not re-releases so it makes it worse.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

This won't go past the initial wave. 

Right? Like, where is the appeal of 5 POA figures when a Hasbro had given us the much superior MU line and the much , much superior Legends offerings. 

This is for the Barnes and Noble crowd that like their lattes doubled, their sweater vests tweed and their inferior toys over priced. They would buy these for the sole purpose of not being the guy who buys Legends.

6 minutes ago, McHogan said:

This is either a Rock Python or you are showing how I was “snake bit” by Hasbro haha.. either interpretation is accepted 😁

Haha, I'm glad to see some people have a sense of humor. It's much appreciated!

17 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

it's like solely buying a figure for it's card art, this is wall art, nobody needs to take these out of the package 

I think that is the whole point,  they are meant to tickle folks' nostalgia bone (albeit for an imaginary 80s toy line, since they don't have the rights to the secret wars line) and people who like the packaging can display them on the wall.  Not something i'm interested in, but we'll see how they sell.  I'm sure Hasbro figures, 'hey, we were able to sell old Kenner Star Wars figures, so let's do something similar with marvel!" They are starting out on pulse and may well ultimately be fan channel exclusives as i don't really see WM, Target, etc being interested in carrying these... especially since the box of 2 doesn't really seem to allow you to even see the figures inside unless you've already looked online to preview them.

Now if Hasbro could somehow re-issue the old DC Super Powers figures, i could go for some of those

So apparently Hasbro is going to try and make this an on-going line that will sell at regular retail on just the single cardbacks. The 2-packs are essentially special editions and then the the main line will be single pack figures. My guess the single packs at regular retail will be more than $10. Likely the $13+ like their other retro lines sell for.

I won't pretend to speak to the entire fandom, but these will be an easy pass for me. I may get Cap but that's it. I'd rather pay $15-$16 for a nicely articulated Marvel Universe figure than $13 for a 5P one if I am going to collect 3.75" again.

My guess is we aren't really meant to be the primary target audience for these and that they will also be carried in such limited numbers that they will seemingly sell out quickly. Thats how they've done the other Retro lines. The big difference between these and those other Retro lines Hasbro has done is they were based on real action figure lines from the 80s. This is not, so I don't think the nostalgia factor will be as strong, but who knows.

6 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Haha, I'm glad to see some people have a sense of humor. It's much appreciated!

For sure.. I’m as easy going and in for a laugh as can be. I too appreciate a sense of humor, after all our hobby is toys ! 😁

Earlier this week we told you about the new line of 3.75" Marvel Retro figures Hasbro is doing under the Marvel Legends banner. Now we have some more details about it we want to share with you. The line kicks off with the three 2-packs we saw the other day which include figures of Captain America/Black Panther, Iron Man/Cyclops and Spider-Man/Electro. The figures will have 5 points of articulation (7 if you count the swivel wrists). They are featured on Kenner cardbacks. Hasbro owns Kenner so they chose to design these figures as if there had been a marvel line put out by Kenner back in the 80s. There wasn't of course. The 3.75" figures released back in the 80s were put out by Mattel under the Secret Wars line, but since Hasbro doesn't own Mattel, this is what we get.

Anyway the line will start off with the 2-packs which will be sold exclusively through the HasbroPulse website for $20 each. They will go up for pre-order later today at 5pm ET.

Then next year Hasbro plans to release an entire line of these retro style figures that will be sold online and general retail. The regular retail line will see the figures released as single carded ones, not two-packs. The single carded figures will cost about $10 each.

Hasbro sent Pixel-Dan their prototypes of the 2-packs (which he has to mail back to them), so you all could get a better look at them. Check out his video below as well as some images.

Marvel-Legends-Retro01__scaled_800.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro02__scaled_800.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro04__scaled_800.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Retro05__scaled_800.jpg

This is a great line that I would probably buy for a young kid. No Small parts, bright and colorful.

I don't see this becoming a collectible line right now, it'll depend on how much product they can get out of it.

Either way, its clearly NOT in a Secret Wars style pose or size... so I really don't see this as "Retro" except for the costuming choice.

Its a shame because if Hasbro made this look like a Secret Wars figure and put them in the same scale, I would buy ALL of these. 

As it is this looks like an over-priced Dollar Store toy or Happy Meal Free-Bee!

I might get a few of these for my son who isn't quite old enough to play with more sophisticated/articulated action figures but I would love for him to get into superheroes, and he already knows who Spider-Man and Captain America are. 

I can also see this little line appealing to a lapsed fan who might want to decorate a home office with a piece of nostalgic kitch but doesn't have an entire toy room in their home.

These look fantastic. Sure, I wish they were a continuation of the Marvel Universe 3.75" Fury Files super-articulated figures and packaging, but what can one do?!
Yes, these are simple (7-points of articulation actually) and the packaging looks great with the JTC art.
I'm glad they chose one artist so it's not all over the place.
I have been wondering about the exclusive 4th set (black packaged shimmer-finish Iron Man and the charcoal/pewter Black Panther) on Pulse and how Hasbro will continue with variant re-colored figure offerings.
One or two variants packed per case of 8 figures would cause quick sell-through.
I'm excited to see a list of Wave 1 and 2 figures for early 2021.

Im_1.jpg

panth.jpg