INSANITY: a humorous journey into this Collector's madness

mars396

I am stuck in a never-ending cycle of insanity:

A wave is announced that interests me and reignites my interest in Marvel Legends

That new wave goes up for Pre-Order, and the figure I am most excited about gets PRE sold out

I start posting in Marvel Legends Groups and Forums about my disappointment that the figure I want is unobtainable, yet other figures warm pegs, how stupid Hasbro is for not realizing the figure I want is the most desirable, and should be two/three/four per case.

I try brickseek, and other useless inventory tracking sites, and ultimately stalk the usual Brick & Mortar stores, looking for that impossible-to-get figure I want.

I have my friends across the country on the lookout for that figure.

I find the other figures in the wave on pegs EVERYWHERE, but not THE ONE I want.  
I keep looking.  I see new figures in other properties I collect, but hold my pennies for that specific Marvel Legends I am currently obsessed with

I get frustrated, and quit Marvel Legends collecting.
I pack up all my Marvel Legends and stack the tubs in the back of my garage, and focus on the other figures in my Collection.

I start hunting for all the Eaglemoss, NECA, DC, Black Series, etc figures that I passed on while searching for that impossible-to-get Marvel Legends.

…… a few months later …..

I find that impossible-to-get figure when Hasbro does the inevitable restock of casefulls of the desirable figures that I always seem to forget they do.

My interest in Marvel Legends is REIGNITED!

I track down the rest of the wave to complete the BaF I don’t really want.
I dig out my Marvel Legends from the back of the garage and display them with my new wave!

I look at my pile of incomplete BaFs and start searching eBay for parts.

New waves come out in rapid succession, I still want to complete the BaFs, and get new stuff, but I just can’t keep up, and get frustrated.

I decide that I am done with Marvel Legends;  I have an awesome collection, and can enjoy what I have, and not worry about the BaF I never wanted in the first place, nor the new mold of a character I have already bought 17 previous versions of.

I focus on Eaglemoss, NECA, Black Series, DC, etc etc etc

Then ……

A wave is announced that interests me and reignites my interest in Marvel Legends

That new wave goes up for Pre-Order . . . . . . . . .the cycle begins again

8 hours ago, RAMCAT said:

What figures / waves are you venting about???

sounds like you have no patience at all.

irrelevant

It is a generalized comment about the cycle of collecting, Intended as a humourous read

I'm not asking for mental health counseling nor help getting any specific figure.

I deliberately state:

"I find that impossible-to-get figure when Hasbro does the inevitable restock of casefulls of the desirable figures that I always seem to forget they do."

come on, everyone:  LIGHTEN UP   laugh a little at how crazy our hobby is

11 minutes ago, mars396 said:

irrelevant

It is a generalized comment about the cycle of collecting, Intended as a humourous read

I'm not asking for mental health counseling nor help getting any specific figure.

I deliberately state:

"I find that impossible-to-get figure when Hasbro does the inevitable restock of casefulls of the desirable figures that I always seem to forget they do."

Not taking shots at you, but patience is a virtue when you choose this hobby. Example: I had no desire to get all the figures in the Cull Obsidian wave. I'm not a huge movie figure guy and hate when they do predominantly movie waves (pretty commonplace now). Anyway I got Black Widow, because it was superb, even for a movie fig. Then, of course I got (3) Black Knights cuz I'm a sucker for alternate head sculpts. Then I found both Wasp and Maleketh clogging up the clearance section and got them for like $7 each and then I started to build the BAF and saw how huge and detailed the thing was. I tracked down an Ant-Man at a Walgreens, but Thor eluded me for at least 6 months (no joke). Even using Brickseek I could never find it. Eventually Amazon notified me that it was available and I got it for a slightly inflated price of about $25. It came in, It's actually the best MCU Thor to date, if a bit on the large size, I built my Cull BAF and felt a brief satisfaction of accomplishment. Two days later I was wondering the aisles at my local Walgreens and found 2 Thor's. Out of curiosity I hit as many Walgreens as I could and almost every one of them had at least one Thor. My brief moment of triumph smashed.

23 hours ago, mars396 said:

I am stuck in a never-ending cycle of insanity:

That new wave goes up for Pre-Order, and the figure I am most excited about gets PRE sold out

I start posting in Marvel Legends Groups and Forums about my disappointment that the figure I want is unobtainable, yet other figures warm pegs, how stupid Hasbro is for not realizing the figure I want is the most desirable, and should be two/three/four per case.

I try brickseek, and other useless inventory tracking sites, and ultimately stalk the usual Brick & Mortar stores, looking for that impossible-to-get figure I want.

I have my friends across the country on the lookout for that figure.

I find the other figures in the wave on pegs EVERYWHERE, but not THE ONE I want.  
I keep looking.  I see new figures in other properties I collect, but hold my pennies for that specific Marvel Legends I am currently obsessed with

I get frustrated, and quit Marvel Legends collecting.
I pack up all my Marvel Legends and stack the tubs in the back of my garage, and focus on the other figures in my Collection.

I start hunting for all the Eaglemoss, NECA, DC, Black Series, etc figures that I passed on while searching for that impossible-to-get Marvel Legends.

…… a few months later …..

I find that impossible-to-get figure when Hasbro does the inevitable restock of casefulls of the desirable figures that I always seem to forget they do.

My interest in Marvel Legends is REIGNITED!

I track down the rest of the wave to complete the BaF I don’t really want.
I dig out my Marvel Legends from the back of the garage and display them with my new wave!

I look at my pile of incomplete BaFs and start searching eBay for parts.

New waves come out in rapid succession, I still want to complete the BaFs, and get new stuff, but I just can’t keep up, and get frustrated.

I decide that I am done with Marvel Legends;  I have an awesome collection, and can enjoy what I have, and not worry about the BaF I never wanted in the first place, nor the new mold of a character I have already bought 17 previous versions of.

I focus on Eaglemoss, NECA, Black Series, DC, etc etc etc

Then the cycle begins again……

That new wave goes up for Pre-Order . . . . . . . . .

You gotta be quicker than that - Geico Fisherman | Meme Generator

Don't get soo frustrated, They are just toys. They almost always come back in stock somewhere. Which figure are you looking for?

8 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Don't get soo frustrated, They are just toys. They almost always come back in stock somewhere. Which figure are you looking for?

irrelevant

I deliberately state:

7 minutes ago, mars396 said:

irrelevant

I deliberately state:

irrelevant

I deliberately state:

- don't be upset when people who try helping you, stop trying to help you. 

12 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Not taking shots at you, but patience is a virtue when you choose this hobby. Example: I had no desire to get all the figures in the Cull Obsidian wave. I'm not a huge movie figure guy and hate when they do predominantly movie waves (pretty commonplace now). Anyway I got Black Widow, because it was superb, even for a movie fig. Then, of course I got (3) Black Knights cuz I'm a sucker for alternate head sculpts. Then I found both Wasp and Maleketh clogging up the clearance section and got them for like $7 each and then I started to build the BAF and saw how huge and detailed the thing was. I tracked down an Ant-Man at a Walgreens, but Thor eluded me for at least 6 months (no joke). Even using Brickseek I could never find it. Eventually Amazon notified me that it was available and I got it for a slightly inflated price of about $25. It came in, It's actually the best MCU Thor to date, if a bit on the large size, I built my Cull BAF and felt a brief satisfaction of accomplishment. Two days later I was wondering the aisles at my local Walgreens and found 2 Thor's. Out of curiosity I hit as many Walgreens as I could and almost every one of them had at least one Thor. My brief moment of triumph smashed.

I am extremely patient

I deliberately state:

And I have the same exact Stormbreaker Thor story as you!

He and Black Widow are the  "inevitable restock of casefulls of the desirable figures" I mention in my story.

I ordered my Thor from bbts, was so very excited to get him and complete both my Infinity War Avengers display and Cull Obsideon BaF, only to find that Thor EVERYWHERE!

13 minutes ago, mars396 said:

thanks

I wasn't offering mental health counseling and now I don't really care about your poor luck or outlook. 

10 minutes ago, mars396 said:

I'm just taking a break to laugh at myself and how crazy we get in our pursuit of little plastic men.

Jeesh.  Lighten up, try to enjoy the hobby !

You mean how crazy you get? I don't spend any extra time to track down figures and I don't pay over retail.

I come to this platform to share and exchange ideas. I'm also not the one pouring my heart out,  venting about how upset I am with toys.... And then specially when I and others offered help, you offer back-handed comments. So honestly if anyone needs to lighten up it would be you... 

3 hours ago, mars396 said:

irrelevant

I deliberately state:

Haha well my bad!  You know yourself better than I do so... but hey, for the record, I thought it was funny whether you were serious or not 😆

I'm fortunate in that I don't collect the MCU figs & only collect the comic based characters that I actually like, so not even all comic based figs are a must have for me. So far in 2020 I have purchased about 27 figs, so about 3 figs per month avg. Last fig I purchased was Warpath last week. I preordered 5 HFC guards & will be getting Black Tom as soon as I see him on clearance.

The just announced Avengers gameverse wave is a no buy for me as I don't care for the video game versions & Kang, though very cool looking,  has never been a character I really cared for even though he is a top Avengers villain. The version of Falcon is not for me as I prefer the classic 70s-80s version.

Never was a fan of Thunderstrike nor Jocasta, though they did a great job on her.. I do not collect any other line of figures, ML is it for me.  If the Gameverse wave is it for 2020, then I'm pretty much done for the yr once I get Black Tom & the HFC Guards.