Newcomer Iman Vellani Picked For Title Role In Marvel's 'Ms. Marvel' Series

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that newcomer Imon Vellani has been picked to star in Ms. Marvel, the Disney+ series based on the comic-book character.  Marvel and Disney Plus recently named Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon as directors on the project.

The character of Ms. Marvel comes from writer Bisha K. Ali and centers on Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teen based in New Jersey. Ms. Marvel first appeared in 2014 as Marvel’s first Muslim character to star in her own title, and she will become Marvel Studios’ first onscreen Muslim hero. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has said that in addition to appearing on the small screen, Kamala Khan will be included in future Marvel films.

Iman_Vellani_Ms_Marvel.jpg

11 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

What this chick looks like she's 12, I mean she probably isn't but.. how young is this Kamala Khan supposed to be? also she looks kinda blah, I dunno.... is this the best you could do Marvel Studios?

Did you have someone in mind? From just the headshot I don't see anything wrong with her being cast :S

7 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Did you have someone in mind? From just the headshot I don't see anything wrong with her being cast :S

I dunno Sajal Aly, she is older but she could be a teen , Aiman Khan? she is only like 19

I just thought this chick they cast kinda looked bland, who knows maybe she is going to rock this role, guess I should reserve judgement.

33 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

What this chick looks like she's 12, I mean she probably isn't but..

Iman Vellani is an 18-year-old from the Greater Toronto Area.  Last year she was on the "Next Wave Committee" at the Toronto International Film Festival.
https://www.mileniostadium.com/local/gta/how-these-gta-teens-helped-shape-the-lineup-at-this-years-tiff/

15 minutes ago, jkpopculture said:

True. I agree that we should have more than just a headshot before we judge the casting. Personally I think casting a unknown could be great. Whoever they think is best for the role. 

Google. 

How these GTA teens helped shape the lineup at this year's TIFF | CBC NewsActress Iman Vellani cast as Disney+'s MS. MARVEL - The Beat

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Iman_Vellani_Ms_Marvel.jpg

I can see it, I can definitely see it. I can see her pulling off the starry-eyed naivete. The "golly-gee" element of a doe-eyed fan-girl walking among heroes. That's what always drew me to the character.

Hopefully, the writers/producers work that angle and resist the temptation to bury it beneath sociopolitical posturing.

16 minutes ago, mako said:

I can see it, I can definitely see it. I can see her pulling off the starry-eyed naivete. The "golly-gee" element of a doe-eyed fan-girl walking among heroes. That's what always drew me to the character.

Hopefully, the writers/producers work that angle and resist the temptation to bury it beneath sociopolitical posturing.

Yes. That's what I love about Kamala. She is not just muslim character. She is us if we got superpowers and loved superheroes. All her stories rarely have anything to do with her religion. She is a character that just happens to be muslim. not the other way around.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
55 minutes ago, jkpopculture said:

My point was that we shouldn't judge her casting until we get a look at her performance given that it is her first major film/tv role but sure yeah there are multiple pictures of her.

Oh i don’t mind who they cast. They’ve casted everyone pretty good in my opinion. Paul rudd, chris evens, etc all excelled in their roles. It’s usually the script that makes or breaks it. I’d say their worst casting was iron fist and even still it was mostly the script. 

59 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Oh i don’t mind who they cast. They’ve casted everyone pretty good in my opinion. Paul rudd, chris evens, etc all excelled in their roles. It’s usually the script that makes or breaks it. I’d say their worst casting was iron fist and even still it was mostly the script. 

Yeah iron fist wasn't great but I agree with you that a lot of that was the fault of script. Still it did improve a little bit in season 2 at least. Still not great but what can you do.

Guest EUPHORICVIKING
29 minutes ago, jkpopculture said:

Yeah iron fist wasn't great but I agree with you that a lot of that was the fault of script. Still it did improve a little bit in season 2 at least. Still not great but what can you do.

Right tho, he was supposed to be a super ninja that has mastered not only his skills but master of his emotion. He got way too emotional about his life. 

There's a big difference between the Disney + shows and a Netflix show like Iron Fist or an ABC series like Inhumans (remember that garbage?).  The difference is that everything on Netflix and ABC was produced by Jeph Loeb, with Kevin Feige being EXTREMELY hands off, and the Disney + shows are being produced by Kevin Feige (Jeph Loeb has been released from Marvel), who is apparently overseeing everything like he's done with the MCU movies.  Some of the movies have been duds and some of the Loeb produced tv shows (or some seasons of otherwise good shows) have been duds, but Feige may have the better percentage here.

I’m sure this actress will do fine. An unknown makes it slightly easier to not have expectations that a young actress would have to (unfairly) live up to.

i would have thought the voice actor for Kamala in the PS4 game would have been perfect. 

Sandra Saad is the voice actress.. maybe she is too old. All well, never cared for this character so nothing to lose. As others have said, MCU hasn’t really struck out yet, I’d bet this young lady knocks it out of the park 

16 hours ago, Satam said:

"....There's a big difference between the Disney + shows and a Netflix show like Iron Fist or an ABC series like Inhumans (remember that garbage?)…"

Garbage? You're being overly kind there.

Ugh, a double whammy of awfulness, and you had to mention it while I was having lunch.....